Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2012, 05:13   #3241
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
BETL is gridlocked from the lay bye onwards (towards Silkboard).

Vehicles are moving, but few feet at at time.

Edit: there is a four vehicle pile up involving a Manza, Innova, Tavera and Santro near Bosch on the right lane.
IMHO, this is a problem with the BETL design. They should have designed it such that there is an extra lane or half a lane's width extra. Now in situations like these, there is hardly any space for vehicles to move, save for the one remaining lane, and the pileup goes on for kms.
Old 19th April 2012, 09:34   #3242
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Now in situations like these, there is hardly any space for vehicles to move, save for the one remaining lane, and the pileup goes on for kms.
Same case with Hebbal Flyover too! If a vehicle breaks down or an accident happens on the flyover, huge pile up follows!!
Old 19th April 2012, 10:33   #3243
Distinguished - BHPian

In that aspect I think the flyovers being done on ORR are better designed. All of them are 3 lane flyovers although technically they needed to be only 2 lane as one lane on ORR would continue beneath the flyover. I have seen 2 lorry breakdown and a bus breakdown on the Belandur ORR flyover since it opened, during morning peak hours and it did not cause a traffic pileup since there were 3 lanes.
Old 19th April 2012, 11:59   #3244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
In that aspect I think the flyovers being done on ORR are better designed. All of them are 3 lane flyovers although technically they needed to be only 2 lane as one lane on ORR would continue beneath the flyover.
Well, I wouldn't call it a design decision - it is more about cost than anything else I guess. A 6-lane flyover would cost, at a guess, 40% more than a 4-lane one.

Secondly, a six-lane orbital road like the ORR needs six-lane flyovers. It is not one lane that is going underneath - it is an exit. The underlying design consideration should be that at any given junction, traffic would split roughly 80-20 as through-exiting (precise values to be obtained via modeling); so to keep the flow uninterrupted, the designers will have to ensure there is no reduction in through lanes (a reduction in one lane in a direction can be thought of as about 40% cut in capacity).
Old 19th April 2012, 12:45   #3245
Senior - BHPian

Have been wanting to figure out since a long time. Did anybody notice some construction going on under Hebbal Flyover, near the signal on the ring road? I have been seeing the same from past 6 months or so. Any idea about what exactly they are doing? looks like some piling work to me, and does this indicate that some work on adding extra lanes/ramps have begun?
Will try to click some photographs next time I pass through the spot.
Old 19th April 2012, 12:53   #3246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Have been wanting to figure out since a long time. Did anybody notice some construction going on under Hebbal Flyover, near the signal on the ring road? I have been seeing the same from past 6 months or so. Any idea about what exactly they are doing? looks like some piling work to me, and does this indicate that some work on adding extra lanes/ramps have begun?
Will try to click some photographs next time I pass through the spot.
I read in the skyscrapercity forums that Hebbal Flyover is being widened to add extra lanes. This is being done as part of the Hebbal-Yelahanka-Intl Airport Elevated Highway and Expressway construction being done by NHAI
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2012, 13:03   #3247
Senior - BHPian

Would be a big boon to people like me who commute on this stretch everyday!! Saw this report now : Bangalore's Hebbal flyover set to go wider - Bangalore - DNA (courtesy, DNA news) The report is around 2 years old!
I understand that the widening is as part of the expressway towards Airport. Now remember seeing NHAI-Navayuga labelled barricades at the construction site!
Now my doubt is, how would it be possible to add another lane to the flyover? would the new lane be a separate ramp kind or will it be merged in some way with the existing ramps? experts, please throw some light!
Old 19th April 2012, 20:08   #3248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Now my doubt is, how would it be possible to add another lane to the flyover?
They managed to do this in Hyderabad (the admittedly much smaller Begumpet flyover/rail overbridge). Can be done.
Old 21st April 2012, 01:39   #3249
BHPian

7 days back, I was lying in an Emergency section bed of a hospital with what some say is a pain worse than childbirth!! (mods, bear with me on this one)

It was diagnosed as a neither here nor there kidney stone, as it was small enough to naturally pass, and large enough to potentially require surgical intervention!! 4 days passed with constant discomfort, and I was ready to give my non gear shifting arm for any relief! (Indian drivers will note that it means my right hand!!) A follow up showed that the little fella had not budged at all, and surgery was advised as I already had the onset of an infection!

As any non-surgically hardened person would do, we decided that a second opinion was warranted! After about an year, we took an auto!! Yes, I took the 2nd worst pain a "man" can suffer while under the influence of the 1st!! Call me mad!!

After repeated requests that we would have taken the ambulance if we needed to reach hospital #2 so urgently, the driver still deposited us at our destination in as many pieces as we started in magically without requiring medical intervention for a new reason (read: automobile mishap). The 2nd doctor too opined that a surgery was warranted as medicines had failed and my looks probably painted a grim picture!!

We took an auto back again, and the same roller coaster over our town's million speed breakers and the occasional pothole to spice things up ensued!!

All arrangements were made, bed booked at hospital #1, which happens to be next door for me! And, I was admitted for my first ever surgery!!

But, to cut the story short, before the surgery could start next morning, I'd already started feeling my usual self again, and in the scan performed right before the surgery, they couldn't spot the bugger!! The auto wallah (at least one of them, if not in tandem) helped me get honorably discharged without surgery! The miracle riders are both riding freely on Bangalore roads! I don't know what to call this, or where else to put this! I don't know whether to curse them anymore because at least when I asked to travel to one hospital and back to another, none asked for a penny more either!! I'm cured, and will still not advise this cure to anyone though!!

- True story.
adroit_91 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 11:32   #3250
BHPian

Great way to recover Adroit_91.

Thinking out loud: if this is what happens to a stone lying securely in our kidneys, shuddering to think what would happen to the backs of commuters who use autos on daily basis!!
Old 21st April 2012, 16:07   #3251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91 View Post

But, to cut the story short, before the surgery could start next morning, I'd already started feeling my usual self again, and in the scan performed right before the surgery, they couldn't spot the bugger!! The auto wallah (at least one of them, if not in tandem) helped me get honorably discharged without surgery!
It should come as not surprise if they ask you to pay as much as the doctor at hospital 1 or 2 would have asked for the same procedure - the autowallahs i mean
Old 24th April 2012, 16:04   #3252
Distinguished - BHPian

It is definitely a long write-up but please take time to read:

Time: About 2-05pm
Date: April 24th 2012
Place: The last section of BETL where the main road forks towards Phase1.

The Story:
I have been driving on this road ever since it has opened and was doing my normal 80kmph on the left lane. I normally deviate towards Phase 1 and as there was an Indica lugging at 45 kmph on the fast lane, I gained a little pace, ensured the gap was sufficient and put my turn indicators on when I see a cop holding his stick and signaling me to stop.

I see the interceptor stationed exactly at the section where the road forks towards Phase 1 which itself was a dangerous spot and was blocking the whole lane.

The constable asks me for the license which I promptly hand over and then says “Saar, over-speeding and overtaking from left!!”

I was amused at the second offence nevertheless I then moved towards the Inspector sitting inside. There were a few other vehicles parked as well.

Inspector says, Rs.300 for over-speeding and I agree and tell him that I am not carrying that much cash and they can take my license, give me the challan and I will come and collect it from the EC police station whenever they want me to and we agreed.

But then I thought to myself as to what speed I would probably be doing when I wanted to actually get down the ramp for Phase 1. Was I ever speeding at all?

So, I walk towards another cop sitting at the back and asked him to show my car’s captured speed. He moves so many images front and back in the past 10 minutes and could never find my car except for a Swift and a Honda City which were parked ahead of my car for over-speeding.

So, I tell this constable who stopped me to show me a proof so that I get satisfied when I pay fine for the offence. The cop is clueless and then asks the Inspector inside on what to do now who blasts the cop big time and says “Now what since he’s already printed the challan??”

I even asked the cop to check if there are any previous cases against me (which I knew very well that I never had any) so that I can pay up in lieu of that.

The cop then got busy typing the details for the Honda City driver when I and that driver started to discuss how dangerous a location it was to stop the offenders as there was no lay-bye and one full lane is getting blocked and this is exactly THE spot where drivers decide on changing lanes to go straight, take left or take right.

I then asked Mr. Inspector if this location was ever safe to which he replies – “Ah, c’mon, I know very well nothing will happen”

Climax:

Within the next 3 minutes, the same cop who stopped me jumps onto the fast lane and signals an i10 to stop. Obviously the i10 driver never ever dreamt that today cops would be stationed in such a “strategic” location. He brakes hard and within the next split second the Figo tailgating the i10 screeches its brakes and BANG!!! Good visible damage that one can expect on both cars at such high speed collisions.

Both of them park their cars way ahead and 2 couples come out. While both the male drivers had belted themselves their lady counterparts were probably not as one lady’s chin was bleeding while the other was in tears (which you will know why).

Both the drivers were at least civil in a way that they never picked up a fight for the collision and rather came to the cops. It was a totally unexpected situation you see.

Now, all the cops, including the Inspector are out of the vehicle and completely shocked.

I offer both the ladies some water and requested them to sit in my car till everything settles as it was sunny and hot.

And then the lady from the Figo started to tell the cops “It’s not about the car now, I am pregnant and if anything would go wrong, who is responsible?”
Cops are silent and have no words to respond. For a while, I have even forgotten my license or my case.

The owners are still thinking cops will fine them and the cops in return are asking them to come to Police station for an acknowledgement of the accident (damage/Image repair??).

It was good 45 minutes on the bridge and I felt it was time for me to leave. I told the cops what about my “case” to which the situation turns around exactly the other way where the cops ask me to pay 100/- and they will adjust the rest (fine was 300). I responded in negative and told them I will pay up only for an offence. I don’t need my license as you have provided me with an acknowledgement. I will see what I will have to do from my side now as I had done nothing wrong.

So fellow BHPians, its time for you to advise what I need to do. I have heard of something like challenging a case in court and want to do that this time.

Last edited by paragsachania : 24th April 2012 at 16:09.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th April 2012, 16:20   #3253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
It is definitely a long write-up but please take time to read:
It's always a good thing to ask for proof for over speeding.
Even I have been in a similar instance in Mysore, where the cop who pulled me over had no proof of over speeding and I was very sure of it as I was not speeding. Since he did not have any proof he let me go.

What you can do is, take the acknowledgment and ask for your license from the police station. If they do not comply, complain to the traffic commissioner's office.
Old 24th April 2012, 16:23   #3254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
It's always a good thing to ask for proof for over speeding.
Even I have been in a similar instance in Mysore, where the cop who pulled me over had no proof of over speeding and I was very sure of it as I was not speeding. Since he did not have any proof he let me go.

What you can do is, take the acknowledgment and ask for your license from the police station. If they do not comply, complain to the traffic commissioner's office.
I normally do. The only occasion I have been fined for overspeeding was between Hubli and Dharwad for doing a 70kmph on a 40kmph limit and they called me to the back of the vehicle and showed me the captured image with the speed.

In today's incident, while the cop started to punch in all details as per the licence, I went back to check and I realized their goof up.
Old 24th April 2012, 16:38   #3255
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post

And then the lady from the Figo started to tell the cops “It’s not about the car now, I am pregnant and if anything would go wrong, who is responsible?”

Is it safe to use a seat belt during pregnancy? | BabyCenter

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks