Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2012, 10:23   #3991
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Noticed a bit of relief in the traffic density today. 15 days of no traffic jams sounds so wonderful.

Per usual, companies like HP, Netapp etc are or will be off for a week or two.
Old 17th December 2012, 13:54   #3992
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Those were left over from the drunken driving checks during the evening
This is completely stupid. After the checking the traffic police need to move these barricades out of the road in view of safety.

Guess they reached their targets and simply moved without bothering one bit to take these barricades of the road.

By the way, when I passed on this route yesterday at 9.30 pm there was not a single cop to be seen.
Old 17th December 2012, 15:47   #3993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I'd gone to Chennai in the weekend and I have a new found appreciation for Bangalore traffic now! It was traumatic just watching the traffic in Chennai.
Agree. Chennai has been chatotic after Chennai Metro work has started. I had a horrible experience this time.
Old 17th December 2012, 16:29   #3994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Those were left over from the drunken driving checks during the evening
I don't think they are used particularly for DUI checking. I have seen them employed as traffic calming devices during evening peak hours. Though they don't have any calming effect usually; quite the contrary.
Old 17th December 2012, 18:00   #3995
BHPian

I saw a school bus belonging to greenwood school driven rash today noon near HSR. I tried calling their school nos, but got no response. I was petrified and agitated seeing how the driver was zipping through the traffic that I came back to office and wrote a detailed mail to the principal.

If any of your wards are in that school, please take this up in the appropriate forum.

The mail I sent is as follows, it has the details of the bus as well :

===========
Sir,

I saw your school bus numbered 38, near HSR layout being driven very rash and dangerously. The bus probably has students in it. The driver was weaving through traffic on the HSR flyover, over taking a truck at breakneck speeds, he exited the flyover through the extreme right. He then sharply cut across to the left, cutting across 3 lanes of traffic, into the service road, at the same speed. He sped all the way to the next signal, and joined into the main road, by cutting again through 3 lanes to the extreme left. This type of driving is illegal and dangerous to other vehicles and kids in the vehicle. He continued his rash driving all the way to the silk board signal, where he finally stopped at a red light. He went straight towards BTM from there, and lost him from there.

My wards do not study in your school, but I felt as a responsible parent, I should bring this to your attention. I leave it up to you to decide on further course of action.

I'm also surprised that I'm not able to reach any of your school numbers, to report such an exigency. Hope you do something about this too.
mannubhai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 18:48   #3996
BHPian

Manoj,

I am glad you took this initiative. I too come across some school bus drivers driving rashly while I drive to work. Though to the extent that you mentioned below is seriously very risky. I hope the school does act on this driver. Thank you for being a responsible citizen, small measures like this from all of us can make things better.
Old 17th December 2012, 19:00   #3997
Team-BHP Support

Ironically, the same school's kids are heard on FM radio stations, lecturing their parents about water crisis/shortage and water conservation. On a lighter note, perhaps the new ads should focus on addressing more serious dangers to themselves, like cultivating safer driving habits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
I saw a school bus belonging to greenwood school driven rash today noon near HSR. I tried calling their school nos, but got no response. I was petrified and agitated seeing how the driver was zipping through the traffic that I came back to office and wrote a detailed mail to the principal.
Good move on your part Mannubhai . I hope they take action against the errant driver. I guess that moron driver must have graduated from an Indicab / Sumo / Tempo Traveller and been continuing the same pattern of driving even with a school bus.
Old 17th December 2012, 19:14   #3998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesomeone View Post
Manoj,
I too come across some school bus drivers driving rashly while I drive to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
On a lighter note, perhaps the new ads should focus on addressing more serious dangers to themselves, like cultivating safer driving habits

===========
I feel this is something all schools need to do seriously. May be even fit video cameras in the bus, or have a leader in each bus, who would report to the school on how the driver was driving.

We as parents, sit back in office or home, and expect the kids to be in safe hands.As a parent, i was shell shocked to see his absolute disregard for safety. For a second I thought of chasing him down,and stop him. But felt that would be foolish to feed him with more adrenalin to drive crazier.

I believe, we need to track our kids buses once a while, just to be safe. I have decided to follow my daughters bus from a safe distance tomorrow or day after. Though she goes in a school provided BMTC bus, and Ive seen them drive very carefully, I still want to make it a routine to check on them.
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 19:37   #3999
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
I believe, we need to track our kids buses once a while, just to be safe. I have decided to follow my daughters bus from a safe distance tomorrow or day after. Though she goes in a school provided BMTC bus, and Ive seen them drive very carefully, I still want to make it a routine to check on them.
I might be wrong here, but from what I have observed, BMTC school buses are quite decently driven. In fact, the big buses seem to be quite sanely driven. Most of the rashly driven school buses that I see are TTs, Swaraj Mazdas or anything in that mid-size segment. And yes, the notorious Omnis top the list for rashly driven school vehicles. I even see these mid-sizers taking shortcuts through gullies, violating one-ways, jumping signals, etc during the morning rush hour . God save those unsuspecting children and parents.

A case of power-to-weight ratio intoxicating the drivers?

P.S - I have never seen a school bus with the 'Am I driving rash? Call XXXXX XXXXX to report' sticker. I wonder why.

Last edited by KarthikK : 17th December 2012 at 19:41.
Old 17th December 2012, 19:49   #4000
BHPian

Quote:
I might be wrong here, but from what I have observed, BMTC school buses are quite decently driven. In fact, the big buses seem to be quite sanely driven. Most of the rashly driven school buses that I see are TTs, Swaraj Mazdas or anything in that mid-size segment. And yes, the notorious Omnis top the list for rashly driven school vehicles. I even see these mid-sizers taking shortcuts through gullies, violating one-ways, jumping signals, etc during the morning rush hour . God save those unsuspecting children and parents.

BMTC buses are the most sanely driven ones, and most schools dont let the kids stand in the bus. Safe to a great extend.

The most dangerous ones are the autos, and I always wonder why would parents send their kids in over crowded autos. BTP did checks to stop this, but after few days it fizzled out. I see autos ferrying 10+ kids, with bags dangling all over the auto.
Old 17th December 2012, 22:12   #4001
BHPian

It's a similar issue with some Maruti Omni's ferrying little ones to school. Their not the official school buses but some private operator. The kids are really packed in like sardines and it can be very very dangerous in case of an accident. I've seen these cars pass right next to a cop who doesn't bother. It's really terrible that people wake up only when something goes drastically wrong.
Old 18th December 2012, 09:16   #4002
BHPian

Quote:
On a lighter note, perhaps the new ads should focus on addressing more serious dangers to themselves, like cultivating safer driving habits
No 'lighter note' and all, I think this is a fantastic idea! Almost everyone, especially drivers of cabs, buses and autos, listens to the radio on the road. Asking the dudes to dim their lights on the radio itself would do wonders for road manners. There's anyway so much banter on the radio!

Quote:
Power-to-weight in a (most probably) CNG-fied Omni with 4,826 kids hanging off the back?

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 18th December 2012, 11:11   #4003
Distinguished - BHPian

If anyone should get the honour of redlining an omni and extracting the most out of an omni, it is these drivers. I once got a chance to take a look at a private van. As obvious, I couldn't stand it. Felt sad for the vehicle, as well as the occupants. Lately, the police have been curbing such vans, still they slip through some or the other way. Now, the drivers have begun to invest in bigger vehicles like Tata Sumos, wingers. Think that is a good move, rather than packing up kids in the Van.
Old 18th December 2012, 22:31   #4004
Senior - BHPian

Today I drove on outer ring road after a long time (from Iblur till Marathahalli), because you guys said traffic is less :-P.

This road is one big lump of confusion. Heavy vehicles, especially trucks and company shuttles, always want to occupy the right and middle lanes. Luckily, slow moving BMTC buses do not drift to rightmost lane. Bikers keep shifting between two extremes of the whole road. I was stuck in the middle lane behind a company bus that had its left indicator on, all the way from Bellandur till the underpass near JPMC. I kept waiting for him to take the turn which he never did. Finally, he went on the bridge near Panatthur. I happily accelerated and shifted up to 4th gear when I reached the underpass, only to slam the brakes at the speedbreaker! A speedbreaker in the middle of an underpass, really?! Who came up with this idea?

I think I am better off driving on my usual 2-lane village roads, which don't give any room for confusion.

And as far as schoolbus drivers driving rashly, the children will learn the same driving habits and will become bad drivers one day. When parents try to teach them to drive correctly, they cannot grasp it because what they have seen and experienced during their childhood is totally different.
Old 18th December 2012, 22:40   #4005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Today I drove on outer ring road after a long time (from Iblur till Marathahalli), because you guys said traffic is less :-P..

This road is one big lump of confusion. Heavy vehicles, especially trucks and company shuttles, always want to occupy the right and middle lanes. .
Are trucks allowed to ply on ORR 24x7 ? More and more construction trucks are also seen on the road. Be it cement trucks with dripping cement, or sand trucks with no cover.

Quote:
A speedbreaker in the middle of an underpass, really?! Who came up with this idea?.
Is there one in the underpass near Hennur cross, in ORR that end ? I remember seeing one in another underpass, and as I braked after a late spotting, a swift behind me, just managed to slide past me, missing me by a mere foot or so. He was shell shocked as I was. This one is dangerous, and i fail to understand the purpose of it.

Quote:
And as far as schoolbus drivers driving rashly, the children will learn the same driving habits and will become bad drivers one day. .
Absolutely +100 on that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks