Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2007, 14:47   #121
Senior - BHPian

Reg the Blueline buses creating havoc in Delhi roads, saw one analysis in Newspaper why State buses in Delhi are causing so many accidents & deaths but almost negligible in cities like Bangalore.

The writer says that due to the pot-holed roads in Bangalore, the Buses are driven slowly and so the accidents are minimal , but in Delhi the Roads are flat (bereft of pot-holes) and wide, so the Bus drivers overspeed and crash!
Any takers for this logic? Atleast I am not...
Old 11th October 2007, 14:49   #122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
The writer says that due to the pot-holed roads in Bangalore, the Buses are driven slowly and so the accidents are minimal , but in Delhi the Roads are flat (bereft of pot-holes) and wide, so the Bus drivers overspeed and crash!
The article was written by jug Suraiya in the TOI.

Between, anyone saw the article on Page 2 of the TOI today, which was mentioning about crazy projects in Bangalore to manage the traffic?
Old 11th October 2007, 15:23   #123
BHPian

You mean this thing? http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Repos.../Pc0020800.jpg
Old 11th October 2007, 15:24   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
This sounds like the "feature" we have on richmond road flyover. Our amazingly designed flyover ended up with a traffic signal right on the flyover with vehicles changing sides at the junction. Can you imagine arriving at the signal driving on left side of the divider and once you get the signal you cross to the right side and drive along.
-- Torqy
The only one of its kind in the whole world. A fly-over with a traffic cop and a signal.. bwaaahhh !! What were the retards thinking ?

Nothing to beat the fact that these imbeciles forgot to connect the ring road while constructing the Dangling KR Puram Bridge .

The media calls this as an engineering feat , yes the Dangling KR Puram Bridge.
God when will salvation ever come !!

edit : Ajit just saw your post. This one is the fly-over connecting Fraser Town and ITC area. Its another bible if you want to talk about it.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 11th October 2007 at 15:26.
Old 11th October 2007, 15:46   #125
Senior - BHPian

having stayed in bangy for the last 2 years ,in ggn for the last 2 months and plans to move back to bangy soon has left me all confused. It took me a week to really acclamatise myself to the fact that potholes in roads is not really a design and it is possible to drive the car in fifth gear on roads apart from the highways.

But as soon as I started enjoying the broad roads I was jolted out of my dream ...was travelling on the 8 lane NH8 on the left most lane when i hear a crash , looked in the drivers side mirror , 3 guys on a bike smiling sheepishly and a big dent on the rear door . These guys couldnt see the divider till the last moment , swerved when they saw and bang ..I got down , gave them a scolding ,nodded my head and moved on .."atleast they didnt come under my car" is how i console myself.

But coming back to the topic , office times ...bangy or delhi i just cant figure out the difference in the jams..its just that u get stuck on wider roads and are able to count more cars here while ppl try to squeeze past you than in Bangalore.. It takes me 35-40 min to cover the 6 km distance from my house to the office ...it used to take me the same time in Bangy .
Old 11th October 2007, 16:23   #126
Senior - BHPian

People here must have noticed the separate lane (with separator) for autos on few roads such as Queen's Road, Kasturba Road, Lavell Road, etc. What I find is autos seldom take this lane. So we get a reduced road width and more autos in that reduced main lane !

The Transport Commissioner who implemented this must either ensure autos get into the lane demarcated for them and fine them if they don't, or do away with separate lane for autos.

If they plan to continue this rule, they might think about extending this lane to 2-wheelers also. This might reduce some chaos on some our roads.
Old 11th October 2007, 16:28   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post

If they plan to continue this rule, they might think about extending this lane to 2-wheelers also. This might reduce some chaos on some our roads.
We already have a 2-wheelers-only lane. It's called the pavement
Old 11th October 2007, 16:44   #128
BHPian

@sammyboy

There seems to be only two ways of controlling traffic jams on office going/returning hours. One of them was implement by a German software giant in Bangalore and quite successfully at that. They shifted the timings of their office in Whitefield from 9-6 to 8-5. It was really neat. The folks could reach office and get out of the office with minimum hassle. If this can be optimized over the list of companies then we may have saner traffic conditions.
Second, and I would really prefer this, encourage employees to work from home All companies should give employees working from home incentive of 3000 bucks a month as they are saving the organization on associated travel costs.
Old 11th October 2007, 16:48   #129
Senior - BHPian

@thefreak

True , different office timings do work to an extent ,the issue is so many offices ... I think they should start a fleet of volvos specific to business parks which are not company specific but park specific...might cut down on traffic.

lol work from home option would be just awesome
Old 11th October 2007, 16:57   #130
Senior - BHPian

Our company has apolicy of working from home says they care for us. Even they have provided data cards on to our laptops. But nobody ever wants to works from home.
Old 11th October 2007, 17:03   #131
BHPian

@snaronikar

Actually I have seen that in Delhi the work from home culture is slightly more developed that Bangalore possibly because of the distances. My office is 36 kms from home sweet home and there are a considerable number of people who travel more. bangalore all the offices are in Whitefield/Electronic City and the crowd stays in Kormanagala/BTM/Indira Nagar/JP Nagar so the effective distance is less than 20 kms or so

Also I have noticed that the guys who are given an option to work from home usual dont take it because they feel that it would mean being available 24 hours a day. Not me.. when I work from home I stay online till 8 and then switch off the laptop.. all queries to be taken the next day .. anything urgent pick up a phone and call
Old 11th October 2007, 17:08   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefreak View Post
@sammyboy

There seems to be only two ways of controlling traffic jams on office going/returning hours. One of them was implement by a German software giant in Bangalore and quite successfully at that. They shifted the timings of their office in Whitefield from 9-6 to 8-5. It was really neat. The folks could reach office and get out of the office with minimum hassle. If this can be optimized over the list of companies then we may have saner traffic conditions.
OT: You referring to SAP, by any chance?
Old 11th October 2007, 17:27   #133
Team-BHP Support

We tried 8 to 5pm. After that many other offices followed suit. We now work from 7:30am - 4:30pm. Takes 35mins in the morning from cunningham Rd. and 1 hour in the evening.
Old 11th October 2007, 17:31   #134
BHPian

@vid

lol! If you keep on doing this then timings will soon start clashing with the call center cabs!!

On a more serious note there needs to be a policy around this..

I am not sure about this but in Athens they framed some policy on the cars allowed with city limits according to day of the week. Will try and search and see if I can get the details
Old 11th October 2007, 17:34   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
We tried 8 to 5pm. After that many other offices followed suit. We now work from 7:30am - 4:30pm. Takes 35mins in the morning from cunningham Rd. and 1 hour in the evening.
Man, wouldn't I love to do that - drop the kids to school & go straight to Office. Zoom home in the evenings.

Alas, we work 9.30 to 5.30 and then I have my blasted conference calls at least 3 times a week so by the time I get out its around 8-8.15 pm . 45 minutes to Gurgaon & if I leave a little earlier, takes me an hour

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks