Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2016, 07:39   #11521
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

There is a Fiesta blocking SV Road a little ahead of Christian Cemetery. This has caused some backlog till the signal next to the petrol bunk. The car has been driven onto the footpath. Stick to right lane.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 07:50   #11522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
Went to City Railway station to drop my inlaws for Chennai Shatabdi which leaves at 0600 am.
In this scenario, it was not possible to change you driving direction cause you were already very close to the station.

Always remember that you can go to Bangalore Cant to catch the Shatabdi. I believe the distance is around the same from HSR.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 08:09   #11523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
In this scenario, it was not possible to change you driving direction cause you were already very close to the station.

Always remember that you can go to Bangalore Cant to catch the Shatabdi. I believe the distance is around the same from HSR.
Whenever I can I avoid City and choose Cantt. I have always found the latter to be well organized, relatively free of beggars etc and clean too. Only hitch is to know exactly where the compartment will be as trains stop barely for a couple of minutes. One can check this with the porters, the signboards along with the announcements.

Elderly folk may get unduly stressed with the 2 minute stop but a lot can be done in 2 minutes :-)
Old 27th May 2016, 08:45   #11524
Distinguished - BHPian

For reasons best known to nobody, the signal just after the BETL exit towards Hosur is acting strange.
3 seconds red, 1 second yellow, 1 second green. this cycle kept on repeating leaving the people confused.
Add to this the rule-breakers who just come from the service road and join the highway like they own the road.
Due to this, there was a huge traffic jam at 07:45 in the morning at this signal. was caught in it for a good 25 minutes.

Edit: oh! and how can I forget the Jam on the BETL yesterday evening. it took our company cabs a good 1 hour from 17:45 to 18:45 to reach Silkboard from EC

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 27th May 2016 at 08:48.
Old 27th May 2016, 08:59   #11525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Whenever I can I avoid City and choose Cantt. I have always found the latter to be well organized, relatively free of beggars etc and clean too.
And it has bridge-free access to the train from kerbside in both directions (towards and away from SBC). An invaluable feature for people like my parents.

Coach position is not a problem, as I have found indiarailinfo.com to be generally accurate, being crowd-sourced.

It's a pity that there is no comparable station for trains originating/terminating at YPR.
Old 27th May 2016, 10:32   #11526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Correct me if I am wrong. Now there is a single decker fly over (connecting Hosur road - Roopena Agrahara->Madiwala Police station). So vehicles coming from Hosur side can quickly get over to Madivala PS side. For people coming from Agara side, to cross over to Jayadeva circle side, they would just go under the fly over. So now why do we have to build a double-decker fly over for the folks coming from Agara side to go towards from Jayadeva circle?
I have seen around 80% of traffic from HSR go towards BTM. They are just waiting for green signal at silkboard. Sometimes the traffic backs upto HSR Flyover, which 1 Km away - a queue of 1 Km for green signal.

Likewise, traffic backs upto Jayadeva flyover from Silkboard during peak hours - a distance of 2.5 Km.
If every junction had a flyover, traffic would just move on. People get on and exit where they want. If Govt is concerned, then must make signal free ORR.
Quote:
Perhaps it may not be as simple as that. Currently vehicles who go over the fly over also are not having a very smooth go. Why? They all land up at the traffic jam at Madiwala PS side. Because there is a junction out there, then there is the Ayyappa temple Jn and then there is also Sarjapur Rd. Jn.
That must also be solved. But ORR-silkboard is bigger problem, considering the wait for green signal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Being a city planner or traffic police chief may be one of the toughest jobs, but even I know that for Silk Board Junction to be eased, they simply need more efficient policing > ensuring vehicles don't change lanes and manually controlling the signals according to volume. The infrastructure isn't there, no point in trying to improve it
The existing infrastructure is over stretched. No amount of 'better' utilization will help. The volume is just too much.
City planners did a crap job and are happily gone. Traffic police is left with faulty design and have to manage. (Just like tech support handling irate customers, while product development have no plan to fix the customer issues).
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2016, 11:11   #11527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand
For reasons best known to nobody, the signal just after the BETL exit towards Hosur is acting strange.
That should be the Veerasandra Jn. (which is like the border between Bangalore city and Bangalore Urban Dt.). The signal there has gone kaput and there was also a big jam out there at around 9:15Hrs this morning. Police are controlling traffic using hand signals.

Quote:
how can I forget the Jam on the BETL yesterday evening. it took our company cabs a good 1 hour from 17:45 to 18:45 to reach Silkboard from EC
That was because BETL had decided to do some road maintenance at that time. Even at around 1930Hrs the jam had not subsided completely. What happened was that all folks who got caught up at BETL rushed in towards Silk Board once the roads were cleared. The result was unmanageable traffic at Silk Board Jn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight
Being a city planner or traffic police chief may be one of the toughest jobs, but even I know that for Silk Board Junction to be eased, they simply need more efficient policing
The feeling I get is that every one has given up. The Addl.Commissioner Traffic also has too many things on his plate, and without adequate support he would not be able to make much difference. And from what I see looks like the police are also short-staffed. So when major programs happen in one part of the city, they have to rope in police men from other "divisions" in the city. That means the traffic police divisions will have to pull out men from some areas which have relatively low importance. And these are most likely far flung areas within city limits (mainly Whitefield, EC and Hulimaavu etc.).
Old 27th May 2016, 18:10   #11528
BHPian

Traffic Alert: Under Marathahalli Bridge towards Intel - snail paced movement - cause not known
Old 27th May 2016, 18:20   #11529
Senior - BHPian

Cement mixer truck broke down on Bellandur Flyover. The driver has just vanished. The truck is fully loaded. HSR layout police perhaps need to get some cranes to move the bloody thing. Traffic pile up till ISRO office on ORR. May even go upto KR Puram.

The mess these crooks in real estate industry is causing just makes me sick. Irresponsible crooks right from the mason to the mixer truck driver all the way to the land sharks.
Old 27th May 2016, 19:09   #11530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HSR layout police perhaps need to get some cranes to move the bloody thing. Traffic pile up till ISRO office on ORR.
Looks like they are getting a crane from Madivala/Agara side. And traffic jam seems to have reached near K.R Puram. Which means that blocks on Marathahalli bridge and Kundalahalli Jn. etc.
Old 27th May 2016, 20:57   #11531
Distinguished - BHPian

Had to take a severely screwed up route just to avoid this jam. But the upside was I still managed to reach home in 1:50mins. Left office in Whitefield and google showed the birth of this pile up and suggested to take Old Airport road. Drove smoothly to ISRO Junction, reached Airport road, and suddenly I get this alternate route as bellandur lake road. I thought it would be a good idea to do this since I could avoid CBD traffic and also since most of the traffic is stuck behind Ecospace, roads would be free later on free. Everything was fine till halfway across Bellandur lake after which there was a queue of vehicles waiting to cross some small bridge. Since this was the first time I took this route, I got a glimpse of the famed lake and life around it.

After joining ORR it was relatively empty. Then turned off at agara and saw BTM clogged. Hence went into SG palya, to find that narrow gully blocked royally. Hence turned back to dairy circle, nimhans, Jayanagar and home. Phew, one bloody cement mixer and all this hungama
Old 28th May 2016, 08:48   #11532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. The Addl.Commissioner Traffic also has too many things on his plate, and without adequate support he would not be able to make much difference. And from what I see looks like the police are also short-staffed.
The overworked police constabulary has decided to go on strike. If this mass leave works out, guess it would be another day of huge traffic block.

News link
Old 28th May 2016, 11:40   #11533
BHPian

Traffic backed up all the up to agara. I'm guessing because of the skywalk construction in front of ecospace.
Old 28th May 2016, 13:08   #11534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
The overworked police constabulary has decided to go on strike. If this mass leave works out, guess it would be another day of huge traffic block.
I don't think that the government and the superior officers would allow the "mass leave" to happen. The policemen also seems to have a plan for their family members doing some protest marches etc. To be frank, I don't envy the jobs of the traffic police at Bangalore (especially the South Eastern side). It seems in early 1970s the Bangalore Police had gone on strike, and the military had to be brought in to control the situation.
Old 28th May 2016, 21:35   #11535
Distinguished - BHPian

I am not sure who is responsible for this, but an electric post on the middle of the road is idiotic. And not even a sign or reflector to caution the road users. Can't imagine someone following the median line at night and then bumping in to this post. Its not about just crashing on this, any last-minute evasive action can be fatal for oncoming traffic on the other lane as well.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20160528_103433optimized.jpg

I have posted this in Bangalore Traffic Police facebook page as well.
arun_josie is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks