Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2016, 10:06   #11416
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Not sure how much longer this is going to take.
It was supposed to be open on 9th April as per the earlier notice on the flex board.But the day it was closed (sometime in first week of march), my intution told me that it wont be open before mid monsoon.Keeping the fingers crossed. BTW they had put the jelly again for some part of the road towards the tunnel on the other side (but that anyways was also put 2 years back as well).I was using this tunnel on bike till last few days when they have completely shut it down. Hoping for better times. But again my intution tells me that this will add more chaos to already Fuzzy logic of this so called intersection around whitefield honda.

Last edited by adi_gt : 13th May 2016 at 10:13.
Old 13th May 2016, 10:14   #11417
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
But again my intution tells me that this will add more chaos to already Fuzzy logic of this so called intersection around whitefield honda.
Can't agree more on this point! I keep wondering how the cops will (if they attempt to that is) prevent this "new" junction from being the next new bottleneck on this road. The traffic of ITPL Road & ORR merging here is already a nightmare
With the way our traffic (mis)behaves, the vehicles coming out of this underpass will stop midway into the main carriageway's lanes and there will be mayhem!

Last edited by NPV : 13th May 2016 at 10:17.
Old 13th May 2016, 10:25   #11418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
With the way our traffic (mis)behaves, the vehicles coming out of this underpass will stop midway into the main carriageway's lanes and there will be mayhem!
Add to it the design of this underpass which is below the ground level on the road, it will become a swimming pool during rains and no way a car can pass through it without a hydrolock.I am sometimes really amazed with these designs which BBMP comes up with.Nearby strays (read dogs and pigs) have already enrolled in swimming classes to be conducted in this underpass during monsoons.
Old 13th May 2016, 12:43   #11419
Senior - BHPian

One question I had. When I visited Bangalore couple of weeks back, I saw a road I think near UB city which had the american style of driving!! Is there any reasoning behind this?
Old 13th May 2016, 13:01   #11420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
One question I had. When I visited Bangalore couple of weeks back, I saw a road I think near UB city which had the american style of driving!! Is there any reasoning behind this?
This is Commissarait Road, between Garuda Mall and D'Souza Circle, which runs along side Football stadium. Yes, there is a very very good reason for it, weird as it seems. It is to allow maximum traffic through without causing bottlenecks due to people turning right.

At D'Souza Circle, traffic coming on Commissarait Road can only turn right into Richmond Road. At Garuda Mall, traffic coming on Commissarait Road can only turn right into Magrath Road.
The only way for traffic to go at both ends of Commissarait Road is to turn right. Our Indian "keep-left" means traffic turning right has to cut across the opposing lane (and turning left can be free). In the American "keep-right" style, traffic turning right can be free.

Makes sense?
KiloAlpha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 13:19   #11421
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_gt View Post
Add to it the design of this underpass which is below the ground level on the road, it will become a swimming pool during rains and no way a car can pass through it without a hydrolock.I am sometimes really amazed with these designs which BBMP comes up with.
Though I have no appreciation towards BBMPs common sense, this is more of a railways issue. The height of the underpass is already pretty less and the height cant be increased as the entire track + traction equipment should be raised.

This will be a good thing since seeing the height of the underpass, I dont think TT and buses can make it through. Since it will be only cars and bikes, the traffic will be manageable IMO.
Old 13th May 2016, 14:56   #11422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
In addition to this a Hyundai Eon had got punctured and the owner had stopped in the right lane
I wonder what goes in the head of these guys! More often I see cab guys parking there vehicle on the right lane and changing the tyre. What a risk it is; for their life and others.

It is sure that they would have driven for at-least few meters with the bad tyre, what will they loose if they move few more meters towards left and out of road. Few times I have advised and these days I ask for my inner peace when I see them.

All boils down to poor licencing system, where people simple get the licence without understand the basis minimum requirement.
Old 13th May 2016, 15:08   #11423
BHPian

I was taking the U turn on the ORR above the Kadabeesanahalli under pass to go to my work at Embassy Tech village. A cab driver who was next to me and I was in the right lane to take the U turn. The cab was supposed to take left but he stick next to me and when I took the U turn, he sped and the front of the cab kissed the rear of my bike. I lost balance and skidded. Luckily nothing happened. The cab drivers are making this city a living hell!
Old 15th May 2016, 21:47   #11424
JD1
BHPian

Saw tweets from Arvind Limbavali (MLA of Mahadevapura Constituency) -
(1) Balagere road is now tarred between Varthur and Panathur bridge
(https://twitter.com/bjparvind/status/731770121627140097)

(2) ORR to Chinappanahalli main road work is complete (had earlier seen an FB post as well mentioning the tarring of this road). This is boon since Rainbow hospital junction is getting quite busy now due to road diversions because of Samsung/EMC flyover construction.
(https://twitter.com/bjparvind/status/731772424581054464)
JD1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 07:35   #11425
Distinguished - BHPian

Unusual crowd on Silkboard flyover this morning around 0700 right from the Start till the descent and most of them dressed like they were attending some function/festival.

I kept wondering what it could be till I realised it is election day in Tamil Nadu today!

To my surprise, I saw at least 2 SCANIAs belonging to Hebron and SRM picking passengers just where Silkboard flyover ends.
Old 16th May 2016, 08:00   #11426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Unusual crowd on Silkboard flyover this morning around 0700 right from the Start till the descent and most of them dressed like they were attending some function/festival.

I kept wondering what it could be till I realised it is election day in Tamil Nadu today!

To my surprise, I saw at least 2 SCANIAs belonging to Hebron and SRM picking passengers just where Silkboard flyover ends.
Today one can expect more than the usual traffic on the account of elections in TN. I remember commuting to my office in ITPL from Malleswaram by train. On the election day back in 2011, the train was over crowded including the toilet region.
I had a very tough time coming out of the train only to realize that my belt had come off. Luckily the pant stayed on.
suresh_gs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 08:32   #11427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Today one can expect more than the usual traffic on the account of elections in TN.
Forgot to mention that BETL at 0700 was full of 2 wheelers that I had never seen before. More than solo riders, it was a full fledged family on bikes and mopeds heading to the other side of the border as I descended towards EC Phase 1.
Old 16th May 2016, 09:01   #11428
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Super 15 minute journey from HSR to Koramangala this morning. 0831 departure. 0846 arrival. Phenomenal! Absolutely no traffic chaos.
Wonderful indeed.
Old 16th May 2016, 09:49   #11429
Team-BHP Support

Bad traffic on Old Airport Road, near HAL due to an accident so I am told
Old 16th May 2016, 09:52   #11430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Bad traffic on Old Airport Road, near HAL due to an accident so I am told
Most probably because of this: