Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2016, 10:52   #11326
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
There may be big crowd in Cubbon Park and Freedom Park. On the Airport Side, i don't think there are lots of garment industries. And you would not be crossing the Peenya Industrial Area (which saw rioting last time).
I was concerned about Mekhri circle. That also usually gets jammed, like during the farmer's protest.
Old 29th April 2016, 14:59   #11327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
I was concerned about Mekhri circle. That also usually gets jammed, like during the farmer's protest.
Made it to the airport in the usual time. It was business as usual with slow moving and undisciplined traffic till the flyover near RT Nagar
Old 29th April 2016, 21:45   #11328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Pro-Tip in Jam: Trick is to always follow a Volvo in bumper to bumper jam. Best is, if you are sandwiched between two Volvos. The front one makes way for you. The rear one ensures no bikers squeeze besides you
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
.... I have no visibility on whats in front of the bus, so have no way of knowing if the bus driver will brake suddenly. I feel like I am driving "blind". Once I even ended up breaking a signal (and getting fined), as I was behind a bus and could not see the traffic light.

I similarly freakout when there is a bus on my tail. There was a time when I used to take a Volvo from Banashankri to ITPL and there were many drivers who used to make a sport out of tailgating cars to scare the drivers (of those cars). Needless to say, not all of them managed to brake in time. Infact, once, my bus driver was roughed up as he chose the "wrong"car to tailgate and ended up damaging the car's bumper.
Agree. I freak out when I am right behind a Volvo, simply because
- these behemoths run over anything and everything, very difficult to adjust for the potholes.
- Volvo exhaust is too hot as well smells diesel. Once the smell is in cabin, become irritant soon. (You could get immediate tingling in feet and nose if riding behind.. reason why bikers never go behind a Volvo).
- Modern cars should have no impact, but knowingly making engine breathe hot diesel smoke, on long snarls isn't okay with me!

Volvo behind.. Apart from the tailgating mentioned, I trust neither BMTC buses or personnel to brake in time. Putting them behind is almost inviting a rear end. No offense meant, but thats how BMTC driving looks like! That said, driving any CV (that too ill maintained buses!) day in day out in bangalore traffic could be categorized as torturous punishment by any standards .

A hope at the end of rant! With Metro opening over the weekend, Hopefully, the metro makes people switch and we see lesser jams and more importantly, people with lesser frayed nerves behind the wheel!

Last edited by babu.sundaram : 29th April 2016 at 21:47.
babu.sundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 22:27   #11329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
A hope at the end of rant! With Metro opening over the weekend, Hopefully, the metro makes people switch and we see lesser jams and more importantly, people with lesser frayed nerves behind the wheel!
I think the government has taken adequate measures to provide good parking spots for cars in Metro station otherwise it is going to be very difficult for commuters to go in Metro who live far away from the stations. It will be a futile effort if there is not much parking in metro stations.
Old 29th April 2016, 23:21   #11330
Senior - BHPian

Batman got Bangalored

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-fb_img_1461952212965.jpg
Soumyajit9 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 14:50   #11331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
I think the government has taken adequate measures to provide good parking spots for cars in Metro station otherwise it is going to be very difficult for commuters to go in Metro who live far away from the stations. It will be a futile effort if there is not much parking in metro stations.
Till such time IT areas like Whitefield and E city are connected by Metro, we may not see a drastic reduction in the number of vehicles plying in Bangalore. Not sure when Metro construction will start in Whitefield and surrounding areas. Earlier the better as there will be exponential rise in the number of vehicles.
Old 1st May 2016, 15:11   #11332
Senior - BHPian

Did a test ride on the Metro from Indira Nagar to Mysore Road on Saturday. Byapanahalli was overflowing with people and cars, so parked my car near CMH road and took metro from Indira Nagar. Could get tickets in 2 minutes and the train had decent crowd from Byapanahalli. Reached Nayandahalli in 35 minutes flat after covering 15 stations. There was a big queue for return tickets.
Although majority of the passengers were there to experience a joy ride especially to check out the underground stretch, it was heartening to see lot of in and out passenger movements at stations like Majestic, MG road and Cubbon Park.
I would say this is extremely convenient for people in west Bangalore to reach ITPL.There is adequate parking facility both at Nayandahalli and Bayapanahalli. The rates are almost on par with blue BMTC buses and much lesser than Volvo. 40Rs for 18Km for an air conditioned trouble free travel.

Last edited by poloman : 1st May 2016 at 15:14.
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2016, 16:59   #11333
BHPian

My company sent out a circular with intention to start a shuttle service from to Bayapanhalli station depending on the employee responses. Purple line being operational between Bayapanahalli and Nayandahalli, this is going to be a boon for employees who are currently "enjoying" the treacherous journey to and fro from the other end of the city. Easily this will cut their travel time by more than half to reach their home during return journey. With more people opting for this and with no WFH, I am sure bosses are already calculating the improvement in productivity .
DragonHawk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 09:09   #11334
BHPian

As everyone in Bangalore knows, ORR to Whitefield is one of the worst stretches to commute. The matters are made worse by the cabs, buses, trucks and most of the "educated" idiots as well.
The Infant buses for SAP and Sapient are by far the worst of them lot! They have absolutely no regards to the traffic that's around and behind them. Yesterday I had the unfortunate moment of getting stuck behind three SAP buses driving next to each other, blocking the entire road, not allowing the traffic behind them to pass, for about a kilometer! Driving close to them is pretty dangerous as well as they swerve right and left at their own discretion and god help when one of them is behind you, they will honk and flash the headlights until you literally s**t in your pants! I literally frown when I see the white and yellow bus with SAP written in bold!
Pardon me, I do not have any grudge against SAP or Sapient nor am I from the IT industry, it's the bus drivers with whom I have a problem with. I request the members here who are employees of the mentioned companies to please take a corrective action against the bus drivers or at leastreport it to the admins.

Last edited by Porschefire : 4th May 2016 at 09:12.
Porschefire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 10:00   #11335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire View Post
As everyone in Bangalore knows, ORR to Whitefield is one of the worst stretches to commute. The matters are made worse by the cabs, buses, trucks and most of the "educated" idiots as well.
The Infant buses for SAP and Sapient are by far the worst of them lot! They have absolutely no regards to the traffic that's around and behind them. Yesterday I had the unfortunate moment of getting stuck behind three SAP buses driving next to each other, blocking the entire road, not allowing the traffic behind them to pass, for about a kilometer! Driving close to them is pretty dangerous as well as they swerve right and left at their own discretion and god help when one of them is behind you, they will honk and flash the headlights until you literally s**t in your pants! I literally frown when I see the white and yellow bus with SAP written in bold!
Pardon me, I do not have any grudge against SAP or Sapient nor am I from the IT industry, it's the bus drivers with whom I have a problem with. I request the members here who are employees of the mentioned companies to please take a corrective action against the bus drivers or at leastreport it to the admins.
I will report them today. But the buses are run by Infants, and whatever you report or say, these guys are goons with owners with political clout who don't care. Replace one bad driver, and you get another worse one to replace him. Sorry about your bad experience though.
bharat4ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 10:07   #11336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
they will honk and flash the headlights until you literally s**t in your pants! I literally frown when I see the white and yellow
Why should you be scared if he flashes the headlights? If you have space up front, show him that your car can pull away in no time and those guys usually shut up. If you dont have space ahead, open window and show them the finger. Again they will stop that antic. These days its some sort of a game for them to simply flash their lights and they feel that people will make way for them to pass. As if it is some ambulance to clear the road for. But honestly, if this happens when you dont have space at front, just ignore. They will flash once or twice and stop.

These days it so happens that my timings and a SAP lab bus timing is so well synced up, that we meet near the Gurudwara opposite ulsoor lake, he cuts into the road from the left of the lake, and I pass him once the turn is done. This exercise has been repeating at least four of the five days of the week But one thing I observe of these guys is, if your car is faster than the bus, they usually dont play around.

Speaking of flashing lamps again, I have my pilot lamps and fog lamps ON during my morning drive. So these people think I am flashing for way. As soon as they see me, the driver does a hand gesture of "Wait a minute" and he does his bit of overtaking and silently goes to the left lane after that. Kind of works for me though I am not in a hurry to overtake.
Old 4th May 2016, 10:18   #11337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefire
One thing which can be done is to clearly use the social media (or main stream media) against the company. If we take a stance that why blame the IT company, because the buses are not owned by them it is just helping them get away. Name & shame the company, put the ball in their court and then let them come with their pathetic excuses. So perhaps we should put up video recordings of this bus fleets of great IT majors Sapient and SAP in action on social media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk
My company sent out a circular with intention to start a shuttle service from to Bayapanhalli station depending on the employee responses. Purple line being operational between Bayapanahalli and Nayandahalli, this is going to be a boon for employees who are currently "enjoying" the treacherous journey to and fro from the other end of the city.
Know a chap who comes from Rajaji Nagar side to his office at ITPL. I thought that he would be the one who would benefit from the metro. But he says he still relies on the BMTC buses operating from ITPL. His observation is that the main bottle neck is the Tin Factory/K.R Puram Junction and from their own it is "fun" till he reaches ITPL. The metro line no way helps him avoid the problem. From his home at Rajaji Nagar, the nearest station on Purple line is Vijaya Nagar. Instead of that he gets into ORR and he finds the speed to be okay on ORR till he reaches K.R Puram. Even if he catches the Metro, he needs to get down at Bayyapanahalli, catch a BMTC bus which would soon land up at the huge traffic pile up at K.R Puram.

As per him the metro line benefits people coming from the farthest ends of Mysore road, as the line helps at least in saving half an hour's commute. From the news papers I also understand that many people who have their buses from Mysore Road Sattelite bus stand may find the metro line a big benefit.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 10:29   #11338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
I will report them today. But the buses are run by Infants, and whatever you report or say, these guys are goons with owners with political clout who don't care. Replace one bad driver, and you get another worse one to replace him. Sorry about your bad experience though.
Thanks a lot Bharat and c'mon, you don't have to be sorry for it mate.
I understand that reporting will not make much of a difference and honestly, I would've let it go if the words 'SAP' and 'Sapient' weren't written on them. I feel the companies must take up partial/full responsibility of educating the drivers as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Why should you be scared if he flashes the headlights? If you have space up front, show him that your car can pull away in no time and those guys usually shut up. If you dont have space ahead, open window and show them the finger. Again they will stop that antic. These days its some sort of a game for them to simply flash their lights and they feel that people will make way for them to pass. As if it is some ambulance to clear the road for. But honestly, if this happens when you dont have space at front, just ignore. They will flash once or twice and stop.
It was just a figure of speech, mate and no, I'm not scared of these idiots.
It is not about whether you've space in the front to move ahead or not. It is about the common driving sense that these bus/cab drivers lack in plenty! I like to believe that I am a fairly good rider/driver and follow the traffic rules by the book. For most times, I am calm and never do I change my line or move faster/slower for these goons. But when I do get irritated, I open the window and ask them 'fly' ahead. And yes, that incessant flashing does get irritating sometimes!!!
Old 4th May 2016, 10:34   #11339
Senior - BHPian

One of the other issues on the ORR, especially, post Eco Space towards Mahadevapura stretch is that of many cabs using the left most lane as parking and catching up and hanging out with fellow drivers.

Not just that, i now see a surge in small shops selling butter milk. While one lane is out due to this, the larger issue is that of bikers / cabs suddenly deciding that its time to quench their thirst and doing a hard braking and turning left. I almost rear ended a cab yesterday.

I was planning to write to the BTP to do a check on the parking on ORR left lanes and those shops that have come up.

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 4th May 2016 at 10:36. Reason: Spelling Corrected
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 11:19   #11340
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot Bharat and c'mon, you don't have to be sorry for it mate.
I understand that reporting will not make much of a difference and honestly, I would've let it go if the words 'SAP' and 'Sapient' weren't written on them. I feel the companies must take up partial/full responsibility of educating the drivers as well.
I know for a fact that the company runs quarterly / half yearly driver education drives. We were sent photos of the event as well. But hey, if they want to learn they will learn. Otherwise....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks