Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2019, 00:28   #17956
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird82 View Post
....if they do a good infra job and maybe take smaller amount on the side....
They could, but it's like letting a homeless hungry man near a buffet and expecting him to only eat enough for one meal.

Like you say, people now presume their money is being stolen hand over fist, they just hope against hope they can at least get some peace with well-implemented public services in return.

All they get is unmitigated chaos.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 09:20   #17957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
One more DEMU train added between City Jn and Whitefield. Should be useful for evening commuters.

More than trains operating between KSR Bengaluru and Whitefield, I feel we need direct trains between Hosur and Whitefield via Baiyappanahalli with the train direction being reversed at Baiyappanahalli.
For folks residing at E city, the boarding point will be Heelalige and I think there is a proposal to construct a new station called Huskur between Heelalige and Karmelaram.
If BMTC can operate shuttle services from silk board to Heelalige via the flyover that would be great. Infact I would be one of the persons opting for the train service if it is operational
SWR must handle the train reversal at Baiyappanahalli.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 10:36   #17958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I feel we need direct trains between Hosur and Whitefield via Baiyappanahalli with the train direction being reversed at Baiyappanahalli.
If the operated train is a DEMU/MEMU, which is most likely, then reversal isn't needed. This will eliminate the need for a section block between Bangalore East and Krishnarajapuram.

Also since electrification between Baiyappanahalli and Hosur is making fast progress we can expect all DEMU's to be upgraded to MEMU's ensuring better acceleration and therefore speedier commute.
Old 12th November 2019, 09:23   #17959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs
More than trains operating between KSR Bengaluru and Whitefield, I feel we need direct trains between Hosur and Whitefield via Baiyappanahalli with the train direction being reversed at Baiyappanahalli.
For folks residing at E city, the boarding point will be Heelalige and I think there is a proposal to construct a new station called Huskur between Heelalige and Karmelaram.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat
If the operated train is a DEMU/MEMU, which is most likely, then reversal isn't needed. This will eliminate the need for a section block between Bangalore East and Krishnarajapuram.
When working at ITPL had done some research on the commute by train. Reaching Heelalige and then even switching trains at BYPL was not a big hassle, when communiting in the morning. The return journey was a non-starter. After 1700Hrs ONLY ONE train stopped at Heelalige, for the rest of the evening. So I will have to ensure that I leave ITPL every day at around 1630Hrs sharp in order to catch this train. That was never possible (especially knowing my org's hostile attitude to "early leavers"). A friend of mine is now commuting to his office at Bellandur using the morning DEMU and returning via the same one at around 1630Hrs (he reaches HLE by 1730-1800Hrs).

There are/were plans to even have a suburban station at Surya City (between HLE and AEK), but that still seems to be on the papers. But electrification is going in full swing in the area with rumours that MEMUs will run between BYPL and HSRA by March 2020. Improving the signaling system is also now complete (interlocking of gates etc.).

The present DEMUs operating between HSRA and BYPL can also do the "reversal" quite easily. Because DEMUs also have driver cabs on both ends. Only thing would be that the DEMU will be running under the electric wires between BYPL and WFD (which is also not very uncommon). At present this may not be done because of other issues like crew rostering, or signalling system related changes which needs to be done at BYPL (for reversal, switching of tracks etc.).
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2019, 09:39   #17960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
After 1700Hrs ONLY ONE train stopped at Heelalige, for the rest of the evening. So I will have to ensure that I leave ITPL every day at around 1630Hrs sharp in order to catch this train. That was never possible (especially knowing my org's hostile attitude to "early leavers"). A friend of mine is now commuting to his office at Bellandur using the morning DEMU and returning via the same one at around 1630Hrs (he reaches HLE by 1730-1800Hrs).
The above point you mentioned was precisely the same I was mentioning all these months in this forum that if SWR had introduced more trains on this sector, the mad rush that we see on ORR would have reduced to a great extent.
Already we have sufficient trains operating from KSR Bengaluru to Whitefield. Why one more train now ?
Old 16th November 2019, 08:10   #17961
BHPian

Brace yourself folks! Nim Bus officially starts from today.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le29986709.ece

Quote:

For the first time, the City Police Commissioner has come out with a notification prohibiting entry of other vehicles on to the bus priority lane on Outer Ring Road (ORR) from Central Silk Board to Tin Factory (K.R. Puram) and then towards Byappanahalli. As per the notification issued on Friday, only city buses operated by Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) can use the lane.

Starting Saturday, the traffic police will penalise motorists who violate the rule. “We have been conducting pilot runs for two weeks and sufficient awareness has been created. Now that it is officially notified, we will begin penalising offenders,” said B.R. Ravikante Gowda, Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic).

For now, offenders will be booked under ‘other offences’ of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, which comes with a fine of ₹500 for the first offence and ₹1,000 for every subsequent one. “However, we are writing to the State government recommending doubling these penalties,” Mr. Gowda said. The notification issued on Friday does not specify the penalties.

Easing traffic

The notification states that the bus priority lane will help ease traffic on ORR. “It will help the BMTC provide faster services. Passengers relying on public transport will travel faster and waiting time will be reduced. The priority lane will also help reduce dependence on private vehicles,” the notification stated.

The bus priority lane will cover the 17-km stretch from Central Silk Board to Tin Factory (K.R. Puram) and the subsequent 3-km stretch towards Byappanahalli. However, the Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike is yet to demarcate the entire stretch. BBMP Commissioner B.H. Anil Kumar tweeted that a 12-km stretch of bus lane on ORR was functional.

Earlier in the day, BBMP Special Commissioner D. Randeep also tweeted on the matter, saying that work on the bus lane was under progress from Iblur to Silk Board Junction and would be completed by the end of November.

‘Nim Bus’

According to the plan, the BMTC will operate 835 buses, including 350 AC ones, on the priority lane. Buses plying on this stretch will have stickers with the words ‘Nim Bus’. To avoid breakdowns on the priority lane, the corporation has decided to operate buses with mileage not above 2,00,000 km. In the initial days, the bus priority lane will shave 30 minutes off the passenger’s commute time, according to officials.

Cameras

The BMTC has installed cameras in 70 or so buses. “Footage of motorists violating the rule will be provided to the traffic police so that they can take action,” an official said.

One-way restriction

The notification also talks about imposing one-way traffic restrictions on the service road of the ORR. One-way traffic has been introduced between Marathahalli and HDFC Home Loans building, E-Zone club and Marathahalli Bridge, E-Zone and Jeevika Hospital, and Marathahalli and Kadubeesanahalli, among other stretches.
bejoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 08:52   #17962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Already we have sufficient trains operating from KSR Bengaluru to Whitefield. Why one more train now ?
Firstly, I am not sure how you can say "sufficient" trains between SBC and WFD. The existing trains in the evening from WFD towards BYPL were roughly at 4:30, 4:40, 4:50, 5:40, 6:20 and 6:35. After this there was no train which would stop at BYPL and Hoodi. There was only a train from Chennai which stopped at WFD and KJM. Hence, another train was added at 6:50 to support peak hour rush. All these trains have good occupancy or rather fully occupied except when delayed and two trains tail each other. The punctuality has improved a lot after automatic signalling, but the 6:35 train is more or less delayed daily due to cascading effect. This 6:50 train gives a reliable alternative to it since the trip starts in SBC and reverses in WFD with some slack time given.
Now, coming to the second aspect, there is a vast difference in the SBC-HSRA route compared to SBC-WFD. The latter is fully doubled, electrified and signalling is automatic. Hence, there is a lot of scope to add trains especially MEMUs. Reversal and waiting is possible in many stations in this route which adds to the flexibility without blocking the line for other trains. Whereas on the capacity front, the Hosur line suffers. Its non electrified(WIP), single line, basic intermediate stations and with conventional signalling. Hence, the only possible option is to run conventional train with loco or DEMU whose supply is limited with SWR compared to MEMUs. That is the reason this line hasnt seen much development. Though electrification is in progress, that alone can do nothing to increase capacity except when slots permit, some MEMUs can be run between Yeswanthpur to HSRA. Not sure if reversal in the middle is possible since I havent seen these stations. Since its far more feasible to add trains between SBC and WFD, that is what has been done so far. I wonder when the line doubling work will start till Hosur. That will do a lot to add capacity.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 09:44   #17963
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Brace yourself folks! Nim Bus officially starts from today.
Traveling along ORR now. Bus lanes marked with double yellow lines with single broken yellow at the service road entrance exits. The biggest challenge I see is for people like me ( and am sure a large number of bhpians here) who will try to respect the rule and stay away from the bus lane. Majority won't do that and of course we end up looking like morons. But of course not a new experience for folks who try to follow rules.

On the plus side, noticed several people trying to stay away ( being Saturday it does not mean much, but still) and there are BMTC patrol vehicles running trying to educate and forcing people to move out.

Of course biggest issue was that many buses were still all over the place.

Would be interesting to see how it pans out. There is some active attempt at enforcement and combined with the fines makes it interesting.
Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 09:49   #17964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Would be interesting to see how it pans out. There is some active attempt at enforcement and combined with the fines makes it interesting.
As I commute on this stretch daily for my livelihood, I would replace interesting by 'dreading'. Nothing on that stretch surprises me , amuses me
My organization is in a time wrap and insists that I copy my boss,HR, site leader etc if I have to work from home.
mazda4life is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 10:49   #17965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
My organization is in a time wrap and insists that I copy my boss,HR, site leader etc if I have to work from home.
We are not far behind. Our org stopped all work from home facilities officially and now we have to follow the above everytime.
And we are located in that notorious EcoWorld.
Old 16th November 2019, 16:49   #17966
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Now, coming to the second aspect, there is a vast difference in the SBC-HSRA route compared to SBC-WFD. The latter is fully doubled, electrified and signalling is automatic. Hence, there is a lot of scope to add trains especially MEMUs. Reversal and waiting is possible in many stations in this route which adds to the flexibility without blocking the line for other trains. Whereas on the capacity front, the Hosur line suffers. Its non electrified(WIP), single line, basic intermediate stations and with conventional signalling. Hence, the only possible option is to run conventional train with loco or DEMU whose supply is limited with SWR compared to MEMUs. That is the reason this line hasnt seen much development. Though electrification is in progress, that alone can do nothing to increase capacity except when slots permit, some MEMUs can be run between Yeswanthpur to HSRA. Not sure if reversal in the middle is possible since I havent seen these stations. Since its far more feasible to add trains between SBC and WFD, that is what has been done so far. I wonder when the line doubling work will start till Hosur. That will do a lot to add capacity.
Well put. The HSRA-BYPL Section has tremendous scope. Unfortunately, the doubling though approved seems to be stuck in some red tape somewhere. Only good news is that electrification is proceeding at a brisk pace and I read somewhere that it would be ready by December. So there may be a chance to add a couple of services to augment the skeletal suburban services on the route.

The other issue is of course the stations themselves- Belandur Road station-which is the most accessible to the ORR and all the tech parks around it, is in a sorry state. A very small, uncovered platform that cannot even hold a regular passenger train- and it does not even have a loop line which means crossing of trains can happen only at BYPL or CRLM which are 20 min apart.

Same goes with Heelalige and Anekal stations. Nothing much has happened to them in several years. The only station that has really developed well is Carmelaram- Thanks to multiple express trains having halts and huge patronage for the same. Couple of images below that shows CRLM in 2012-13 and today. Station has two proper platforms, decent overhead covering, refreshment stalls and most recently, the much needed foot over bridge.

5-6 years back

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-railwaytracksatcarmelarambangaloree1367999104267.jpg

Today
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-carmelaram.jpg
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 22:25   #17967
Senior - BHPian

It's getting serious guys. Teasers are out.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20191116wa0047.jpg
balenoed_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 13:30   #17968
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I changed to Volvos 3 weeks back and looking forward to it.
Old 17th November 2019, 15:46   #17969
BHPian

Drove the hebbal->kr puram section of the ORR after a long time yesterday and the manyata flyover construction and the Ramamurty nagar underpass whitetopping made for a very painful drive even at midnight that I was actually happy to reach tin factory.
Feels like the bus lane was timed with the start of the underpass whitetopping to make the kr puram -silk board stretch look like heaven with all ORR commuters getting stuck before kr puram.
Old 18th November 2019, 09:42   #17970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Not sure if reversal in the middle is possible since I havent seen these stations. Since its far more feasible to add trains between SBC and WFD, that is what has been done so far. I wonder when the line doubling work will start till Hosur. That will do a lot to add capacity.
On many occasions I have seen the Mayiladuthurai Express wait at Baiyappanahalli while the Chennai Exp crosses the station. Then the track direction is changed and the former climbs up the ramp leading towards Hosur. Based on this my understanding is local trains from Hosur to Whitefield can stop at Baiyappanahalli and then take the straight route towards Whitefield following the track change.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks