Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2020, 11:37   #18451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Free offer - those that weren't wearing masks got two whacks on their buttocks with a lathi.
From KA Govt (March 31st): Not everyone needs to wear mask, clarifies Karnataka government

Central Govt (March 21st): Centre caps MRP of 3 ply meltblown face masks at Rs 16/piece till June 30

3 ply meltblown face is being sold at Rs 25 near my home (if it is available). Police are finding some excuse to whack and ensure nobody ventures out or think twice before venturing out.
Old 1st April 2020, 14:55   #18452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
My apartment RWA gets a daily visit from the area SI, I didn't take the ban bit literally when it was mentioned, thinking it was about vehicles being used without purpose as was the official guidance

It's now the people's fault for living in a locality that doesn't have everything (or enough) next door?
Did you mention this issue to the SI? What was their response to it?
Old 1st April 2020, 15:02   #18453
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Did you mention this issue to the SI? What was their response to it?
I got two responses:

1. Don't have enough manpower to sort between genuine and nuisance cases everywhere.
2. They'll pass on feedback about supply shortage in the locality, but can't take responsibility or commit to fixing it.

Fair enough and I don't blame them, but neither of those responses are practically helpful.

I just opened my last Bisleri can, no idea where I'll get the refill I'll need in a couple days.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st April 2020 at 15:12.
Old 1st April 2020, 15:09   #18454
Senior - BHPian

Watched Facebook live with the Bangalore DCP for a while yesterday.

If I am not mistaken indications were that they had seized 1950 vehicles the day before.
AMG Power is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 16:19   #18455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao
My apartment RWA gets a daily visit from the area SI, I didn't take the ban bit literally when it was mentioned, thinking it was about vehicles being used without purpose as was the official guidance.
Good that your RWA has this relationship with the local police. Best would be to use the same route to inform them about the problems you are facing and work on a strategy to fix this. I am sure there would be other residents who would be facing the same issue. Don't your apartment building have some kind of mini super market? May be RWA the super market chap can work on a plan to get the supplies and the police help taken to send the goods vehicle through. The police is already over worked and not in the best of their moods. They now also have the job to track down folks who have attended the religious congregation at Nizamuddin.

Quote:
It's now the people's fault for living in a locality that doesn't have everything (or enough) next door?
Not at all a people's problem, but mainly of proper planning from the civic authorities. Unfortunately we now have lots of big apartments where there is nothing else around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power
If I am not mistaken indications were that they had seized 1950 vehicles the day before.
It should have crossed 2200+ now. Majority of them are said to be two wheelers. Every division is now getting strict here, with even Divisional DCPs taking an interest to control the road usage. Can't blame the police here. For every person on the road with a genuine reason, there would be 50 who would just try to trick the police and get away. Even in districts adjoining the city, the police is now curbing road usage and seizing vehicles.

Last edited by sachinpk : 1st April 2020 at 16:20.
sachinpk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 17:21   #18456
BHPian

I had to take my car out today to accompany my hypoglycemic father to the hospital and was surprised to notice how wide Bangalore roads are! During normal days, there is so much traffic and parked vehicles which makes the roads seem narrower (at least to me). One thing that didn't change is the number of people driving against the traffic to avoid a U-turn or a One-way. Today there were so many rule breakers that at one instant even I was confused whether I was driving in the correct side of the road
Old 1st April 2020, 19:25   #18457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Majority of them are said to be two wheelers. Every division is now getting strict here, with even Divisional DCPs taking an interest to control the road usage. Can't blame the police here. For every person on the road with a genuine reason, there would be 50 who would just try to trick the police and get away.
I think they are mainly enforcing vehicle ban on main roads. Today I took my scooter out to refill two 20L water bottles from nearby filtration plant, about 250m from my house. I saw a police patrol party but they were not bothered.

Also, it appears that nearby grocery stores are running out of supplies. In such situation people will be forced to venture further to get essentials.
Old 1st April 2020, 20:21   #18458
BHPian

Traffic police has been earning quite a lot with lifting two wheelers, also sometimes towing away four wheelers, from "supposed" no parking areas in normal days.
Reason: BBMP fails to make provision for parking in commercial areas (areas where BBMP gives permission for commercial establishments but fails to ensure provisions for parking of the visiting customers) and that in turn, leads to parking along the roads obviously and traffic police making use of that opportunity to lift or tow vehicles away to traffic police stations.

Due to the lockdown, they certainly are missing this revenue. And now comes this two and four wheeler ban till April 14. To me this new enforcement, appears like a ruse to earn through fines over violation of ban, which they are missing to earn through fines over violation of traffic rules.
cs_rajesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2020, 23:36   #18459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_rajesh View Post
Due to the lockdown, they certainly are missing this revenue. And now comes this two and four wheeler ban till April 14. To me this new enforcement, appears like a ruse to earn through fines over violation of ban, which they are missing to earn through fines over violation of traffic rules.
The Commissioner has made it absolutely crystal clear to all the control rooms that no traffic fines shall be collected from the vehicles seized during lockdown.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 00:06   #18460
BHPian

Had taken car to buy milk and grocery for a week, some items were not available and i had to go in search of these items and ended up in a narrow road, Cop had blocked half the road with their ertiga (hoysala). I request cop to move the vehicle - he starts yelling on loudspeaker 'WHY HAVE YOU COME OUT', i told him to buy milk and.. he did not allow me to complete sentence and again yells on loud speaker 'TO BUY MILK, YOU HAVE COME IN A CAR', i was pissed off and 2nd cop on passenger seat, notices lawyer sticker on my car, i ask him 'move madakke helli (ask him to move)' and they oblige.

God save us, if this lockdown extends for another month.
Sri Vathsa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 08:06   #18461
Distinguished - BHPian

In case this hasn't been shared here yet.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20200402wa0002.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img20200402wa0003.jpg
Red Liner is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 10:22   #18462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

While this is all well and good and largely understandable, some things have not been thought through. Example: Throughout the city, drinking water has become a huge issue and local grocery stores have stopped delivery of 20 liter water cans (lakhs of people do not have Aquaguard etc at home and rely heavily on these). It is very difficult and in many cases, impossible, for everyone to carry these heavy 20 liter cans back to their home form the store, even if it is a short distance of 300-500 meters. For instance, I am having to reply on multiple 1 liter bottles which I am purchasing every day. I manage since there are only two persons at home at this time, and therefore, less consumption. For larger families with greater consumption, this gets more and more difficult. Apart from water, even if one is buying a large quantity of groceries, the bags are heavy and difficult to carry back by hand in many cases.

I really do think that they should allow cars/bikes for the local grocery sprint. Please do randomized checks, it is usually easily ascertainable whether the person is a genuine vehicle user or just out for no reason. I understand that strictures need to be taken, but some basic leniency should also be shown. If misused, come down hard on violators!

Could someone share the link for these FAQs issued by the Karnataka Police please?

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 2nd April 2020 at 10:25.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 11:25   #18463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

Can you share the URL where this is accessible? I need to send this to my RWA

Last edited by hrman : 2nd April 2020 at 11:31.
Old 2nd April 2020, 11:27   #18464
BHPian

To those on this forum with good connections with the local police and authorities - can you throw some light on how the policemen and our bureaucrats are managing? I assume they too are following all the rules, not stepping out, etc. I also assume they followed the PM's appeal and did not buy their requirements for a year! So may be they can give us a few tips on how to manage in such times? I would ask the PM himself but...
Old 2nd April 2020, 11:33   #18465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Can you share the URL where this is accessible? I need to send this to my RWA
I am not sure if the images here are of better quality but if it helps

https://twitter.com/IPSHemant/status...938867714?s=19
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks