Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2023, 20:34   #20701
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Nope. That space is called the shoulder of the road. No vehicle is supposed to drive on that (for their own safety and that of other road users). In India it should be around 2-2.5 metres wide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoulder_(road)
OT but atleast in TN, bikes and cycles should stick to the shoulder.

Video in Tamil though..

anandhsub is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 21:29   #20702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
OT but atleast in TN, bikes and cycles should stick to the shoulder.

Video in Tamil though..
They can use it. But shoulder is supposed to be used to stop in emergencies etc. It should not be used by vehicles.
Here in Bengaluru the way it is, its not even regular shoulder. Its the part which is not guaranteed to be a road , the width could vary, could have ditch etc.

Last edited by PreludeSH : 20th January 2023 at 21:30.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 13:09   #20703
BHPian

While I'm grateful for the convenience of ordering anything online, the use of e-bikes by the delivery partners have only compounded the traffic nightmare. These e-bikes are painstakingly slow, hardly any lights on and then the folks decide to come the wrong side all the time.
drive.helios is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 14:00   #20704
BHPian

There should be a policy to take action on Traffic police personnel as well for negligence of duty. On multiple occasions atleast on Outer Ring Road Bengaluru, I have seen Traffic police personnel just standing & not even trying to control the traffic while gridlock kind of situation is building up.

For instance, Rainbow Children's hospital, Outer Ring Road, Marathahalli section always has heavy traffic since from here an important service road to reach ITPL, graphite india signal from ORR & vice-versa merges.

While coming from ITPL, graphite india, commuters have to navigate a downhill u-turn where this road meets the ORR. Here the traffic police remains deployed but still they sometimes just stand rather than ensuring smooth flow of the traffic.
Old 22nd January 2023, 18:29   #20705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Now the act of taking photographs is also taken as an inefficient move, and they are expected to do some other task.
I think cops can do a lot more than just collecting fines. Their primary task is to ensure that traffic rules are followed and the movement is smoother, not collecting fines. Fines are collected to ensure that rules are not broken. But the way BTP functions you would assume their only task is to collect fines.

They stop no one or do nothing unless it is to collect fine. They can be directing traffic, turning away people on the wrong side with a warning, ensuring people follow lane discipline. I have seen more than 10 cops at some junctions bothering to do nothing while traffic is stuck because vehicles needing to take a right turn have hogged all three lanes blocking the traffic that is supposed to go ahead.

I think there is a need to first educate traffic police on their roles and responsibilities. Obviously us common public also has to be taught basic rules of the road considering no one seems to know what exactly they ate suppose to do. One of the ways of doing this is by constantly informing and warning the errant drivers. Lot of people just follow good or bad behavior of others.

For the cops it doesn’t have to be fine or do nothing.
rarkit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 18:41   #20706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Relatable (rants) on wrong side driving. For a usually docile person, seeing blatant violation of wrong side driving replete with honking and flashing really gets my goat! I have been guilty of not giving violators their 'way' and honking back in a bid to teach them a lesson ( a futile endeavour)

I will take a leaf out of some of the earlier posts, making peace with the inevitable
I have also tried it a few times but eventually you just accept it as part of life. About a year ago I was crossing a road at zebra traffic, but not trusting the drivers to stop for a pedestrian even at a zebra crossing I was on a constant lookout for any approaching vehicles. Despite this I hear loud honking. Of course from a car coming in the opposite direction. I gave him a look and raised my hand with the “come on” look on my face. He immediately stops and starts shouting at me because in his brain driving on the wrong side while honking at a pedestrian crossing at a zebra crossing is not his mistake because he is in a car.

Another time I was riding my bike on a two lane road without a divider and there is this truck approaching in the opposite direction, I try to take a left and there is this guy pushing a pram with one hand and holding a phone to his ear with other hand, completely oblivious to his surroundings. It is so irresponsible but he believed that since he was pushing a pram he was in the right.

Btw, when I was younger I did a lot of stupid road crossing while leaving my safety in the hand of motorists and I thought I was so smart doing that. Now that behavior seems so stupid but I still see a lot of people walk or drive with the same thought process.
Old 22nd January 2023, 19:42   #20707

This is not only common to banglore, but eveywhere. Wherever possible, if im not in a hurry, i will simply drive in front of them and stop, so that, they will have no other option, but to back off. It may sound a little harsh, but just giving them their own medicine.
Old 23rd January 2023, 11:28   #20708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindhunt View Post
This is not only common to banglore, but eveywhere. Wherever possible, if im not in a hurry, i will simply drive in front of them and stop, so that, they will have no other option, but to back off. It may sound a little harsh, but just giving them their own medicine.
I tried doing this with people using high beam a few times. I am actually quite blinded when I face a high beam headlight. But to no avail. They twist and turn and escape. I also doubt the legality of some of the "DRLs" on vehicles these days.
gtonsing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 12:52   #20709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoatrix View Post

6. I can't stop comparing Chennai and Bengaluru's traffic and roads, Chennai is at least 10 years ahead in road quality and ease of traffic.
I have moved from Bangalore to Chennai recently. I hop between cities every week and I have to agree and disagree with you sir.

I see that Bangalore traffic is primarily due to its structure. Most of the roads other than the city center have a flyover/metro, and both sides are split by a service road. When people from both sides decide to turn, they choke and stay put for hours.

The condition of the roads is similar to Chennai. Both cities have patches on all critical roads owing to a bumpy ride. Due to Metro and flyover constructions, Chennai is also been facing heavy traffic jams in the last 5-6 months. From Porur junction to Phoenix mall, it wouldn't take more than 30-35 mins on any weekday during peak traffic. Now, from Porur Junction to Kathipara flyover takes more than an hour. Traffic near Kamatchi hospital is horrible. I was left stranded on a regular weekday at 7 PM for more than an hour. Why traffic jams between Pallavaram bus stand to Chrompet bus stand is a mystery to be solved by Benoit Blanc

Another issue I see in Bangalore is the heavy vehicles on all routes during peak hours. At least in Hebbal and its surroundings, I regularly see JCBs, Cement Mixers across the important routes during peak hours.
Old 23rd January 2023, 13:48   #20710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoatrix View Post
Hello Bengalurians,

I am here in bengaluru for a week to spend my vacation at my sister's house (In belathur).
My observation as an outsider,

1. There's only sand, dust and gravel and some ditches (Like the great ditch of Whitefield), I'm yet to see a road here.

2. There are no traffic jams, they are blockades, vehicles from all four directions meet at centre point and don't move forever.

3. Without non existent roads, bengaluru traffic police have no moral right to fine /impound vehicles.

4. Karnataka has the highest road tax in the country, eager to know where these taxes are pocketed.

5.The only time I ever despiced driving is while driving here, how do you guys do daily?

6. I can't stop comparing Chennai and Bengaluru's traffic and roads, Chennai is at least 10 years ahead in road quality and ease of traffic.
Harsh, but true mostly ( and some partly true only). I'm not trying to make this x city vs y city; nor am I defending the indefensible here ( we all know our traffic and roads )
  1. Belathur isn't even Bangalore ( or atleast that's how we console ourselves ). It's a common pattern that South East/East Bangalore is grossly neglected from a road standpoint. The road in front of my apartment where I have stayed for 8-9 years, has perhaps only seen smooth roads twice (that lasted exactly for 6 months). If you lived in South Bangalore or West or Central your impression of Bangalore may be much better
  2. Chennai for sure has had much broader roads for as long as I remember right from when we used to visit for the odd vacation. But I would like to also point out that a decade or so ago, the roads of Nanganallur/Keezhkattalai etc were non existent and they would be disasters when it rained; of course now NN and KK have much better roads. Things are changing here too, but slowly.
  3. Overall the village /SH have been much better in TN with well-defined shoulders etc. The food and roads are the highlights of a TN trip.
  4. Question: is your observation after the recent re-laying of roads across the city or before that?
  5. Traffic has been somewhat manageable after policemen have been posted at minor crossings - it was a nightmare before that.
  6. Lastly, scary that your damning report comes in the last week of December when 90% of people that work in Bangalore would have taken off on vacation. Did you stay back to experience the post vacation traffic in the city? Pls do.

Overall in the recent 1-2 months, things have improved quite a bit - road quality etc. So it's saving a few minutes for sure ( my 1.5 hour commute is now 40-45 mins type, but also partly attributable to my early logins these days )

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Hello there. Happy to see an outsider contributing to this thread as we were bored of doing it. Thanks for holding the fort as this week we gave rest to this thread and we will be back here from next week onwards.

Bangalore is usually forgiving to its road users during this week of the year.
Exactly.

Last edited by airguitar : 23rd January 2023 at 13:55.
Old 23rd January 2023, 14:05   #20711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
By the way, I'm wondering why the constables of Bangalore Traffic Police (BTP) have transformed into Bangalore Traffic Photographers, that's all they seem to be doing
Paisa, babu bhai, paisa. Collecting traffic fine is more important. Unfortunately some habitual offenders don't bother. They even put fake number plates and keep driving causing fine for even others.
Unfortunate but true, that some people don't learn a lesson untill and unless there is instant physical punishment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -~=+Killa+=~- View Post
You know what really grinds my gears?
I think this is due to most of them not receiving proper driving training in systematic formal manner, but rather learning driving from Spouse (as if anyone listens to their's), friend, family members etc, and bribing the officials to get a license. In many cases it's entirely due to selfishness/over smartness.

I remember, when i joined driving school in Kochi, entirety of first few lessons were on traffic rules and etiquettes, safety etc, and it's only after passing an exam about these things that learners license was issued. The teaching has stood with me since.

Creating dedicated bus lanes IMHO has sped up traffic on those routes by ensuring that buses don't hog entire width of road.

We have to teach our children good civic sense so that future has some hope.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 23rd January 2023 at 16:19. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Quote+/Edit functionality to quote multiple posts.
Old 24th January 2023, 18:11   #20712
Distinguished - BHPian

Kanakapura road to JP Nagar Ring Road: Right Turn dis-allowed as of today.

Folks in Bangalore south who come on Kanakpura road and take right turn towards JP Nagar Road, pls plan accordingly. Right Turn has been stopped. One now has to go upto Sarakki Market and take right turn, into a road that is already congested. Added point is a jam at this right turn.

I have messaged BTP via FaceBook, and request everyone affected to do the same.

Update:
Heard that a Couple of groups in the area reached out to BTP, and the change has been called off. Traffic should be back to normal, hopefully.

In case the right turn had been removed, the traffic in the area would have got messed up. Its already bad with the two openings near Rameshwaram cafe being closed.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th January 2023 at 19:59. Reason: As requested
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 19:01   #20713
BHPian

Every time you think Bangalore traffic has settled at a new misery level which you will eventually get used to, comes more. Wrong side driving continues on service roads which have been reduced to one-vehicle width because of gantry crane erection. Advisories which said that traffic marshals will be placed at these locations seem to have no effect.

Going from Koramangala towards Marathahalli you can no longer take the Agara route. Fine. We head towards the BDA signal, only to find that vehicles that have to go straight have blocked the left turn. There are too many of them, so honking one or two is meaningless. Now google maps has started showing Ejipura-Old Airport route to reach Marathahalli.
Malyaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 21:19   #20714
BHPian

Thanks for the update. I usually take this route during weekends & hope they revert back the changes.
Sedate_Drive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 20:47   #20715
Distinguished - BHPian

KIAL alert:

At the new vehicle underbody scanning point near T1/T2, there are 2 x twin rumblers. Be careful with a full load as the first one compresses the front suspension, and releases it just in time for the front bumper lip to crash down on the second!

Latter one already looking deeply battle scarred.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks