Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2022, 14:35   #886
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bangalore Elevated Tollway

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmraj View Post
Dear Patrons,

Sorry might seem like a silly question, I checked the history and could get the required information. Does this Elevated Toll Road mandatorily require a NHAI fastag? the last time I travelled this section I could pay cash as well without any penalty. Is this still the case?

Thanks and warm regards
John

Cash as well as fastag works
Old 9th July 2022, 11:57   #887
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
They reduced the speed limit on the Elevated Expressway from 80 kmph to 60 kmph

At 80 itself the cops were making a fast buck fining people, now at 60 they will get even more violators.

Now they have 2 boards near the lay bye where the interceptor is typically parked with reduced speed limit of 30kmph. This is a joke and a way to extract money from vehicles.

How do we complain and get this back to normal - 60kmph and ultimately to 80 kmph? This is a NHAI access controlled stretch. Corrupt police should have no say to set their own arbitrary speed limits.
achilles101 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 15:11   #888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles101
How do we complain and get this back to normal - 60kmph and ultimately to 80 kmph? This is a NHAI access controlled stretch. Corrupt police should have no say to set their own arbitrary speed limits.
Just made a trip via elevated highway yesterday. I noticed the 60kmph sign board as I am very familiar with its position. Did not notice any 30kmph sign board. And it was too early in the morning so the Interceptor was not there at the expected place. Even if a road is access controlled and maintained by NHAI the local self government/state government do have some rights to bring down the speed. This usually happens at a stretch where the highway goes through an area which has schools or any small townships next to the road etc. If such a notification is passed then the NHAI set speed limit would be overruled.

I checked the BTP web site, did not find any notifications regarding reduced speed limits in any part of the city. Trying to reach them on Twitter may help. Elevated highway as the name suggests is on an 'elevated' level, so it is not going to cause any danger to pedestrians etc. The only reason could be the traffic police using some data points to prove that; that specific stretch is risky and has seen too many accidents.

Last edited by sachinpk : 11th July 2022 at 15:13.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 13:25   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Just made a trip via elevated highway yesterday. I noticed the 60kmph sign board as I am very familiar with its position. Did not notice any 30kmph sign board
Below is an image of the speed limit on BETL before the lay bye. This is totally impractical. How does BTP expect vehicles to drop their speed to such a low level on an Access Controlled Toll Road without causing accidents remains a total mystery. This looks to be an extortion exercise. Additionally now you have unscientific barricades for entering the lay bye.

Bangalore Elevated Tollway-img_20220710_121914.jpg
achilles101 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 13:51   #890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilles101 View Post
. Additionally now you have unscientific barricades for entering the lay bye.
You have to enter perpendicular to the general direction of the road, hence the 30 kmph limit; it should be zero in reality. I don't know who comes up with such ideas. Next step - speed breakers.

It's time to get the limit to 80 kmph and even to 100, but I don't know how two wheelers would be accommodated. I suggest they have a single lane in each direction for high speed traffic separated by barriers. Another single lane in each direction, again separated by barriers for slow traffic. I don't think there really is any workable solution - poor design will continue to cost lives and usability.
Old 3rd December 2022, 19:43   #891
Senior - BHPian

Cops are again pushing for banning 2 wheelers from riding on BETL. This due to recent couple of accidents on the flyover.

Source : Bangalore mirror.

I remember few years back too there was discussion on this but nothing materialized out of it. Hopefully whoever is the decision maker understands the sentiment towards the ask and takes decision sensibly.
Old 5th December 2022, 12:57   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I suggest they have a single lane in each direction for high speed traffic separated by barriers. Another single lane in each direction, again separated by barriers for slow traffic. I don't think there really is any workable solution - poor design will continue to cost lives and usability.
This will be a disaster, because you will find some dude who drives at 40 kmph or a truck will enter the lane and slow down the entire traffic, you wont even be able to overtake it.
Fillmore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 17:23   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Cops are again pushing for banning 2 wheelers from riding on BETL. This due to recent couple of accidents on the flyover.
There was an incident of a 2 wheeler riding at full speed on the Opp direction on the Elevated Expressway

On Twitter..

I wonder what happened to him
Fillmore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2024, 18:01   #894
BHPian

Any idea about the new speed displays with the smiley faces on the flyover? Seems to be tracking speed with the limit being below 60kmph as opposed to 80 earlier. Question this, is this linked to tracking for issuing challans or it's just a simple sensor based indicator? I don't see any cameras but this new one is a little hard to make out
Old 9th April 2024, 11:49   #895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Tourer View Post
Any idea about the new speed displays with the smiley faces on the flyover? Seems to be tracking speed with the limit being below 60kmph as opposed to 80 earlier. Question this, is this linked to tracking for issuing challans or it's just a simple sensor based indicator? I don't see any cameras but this new one is a little hard to make out
The speed limit on elevated highway has been reduced to 60KMPH. When coming towards the city, you can see sign boards showing 60KMPH. This used to be before the safety bay, where one Traffic Police Interceptor was to be on permenant duty (I miss them these days).

The device which shows the smiley face is more of a friendly warning. It is not connected to the automated ticketing system. I think it is a very simple RADAR/LIDAR device which detects speeds (and smiles or frowns).
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks