Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2019, 12:59   #856
BHPian

Re: Bangalore Elevated Tollway

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
I assume you are talking about yellow boxes. Those are emergency telephones. They will each have a reference number so that when you call from it and state that, the emergency services know where to find you.
Was able to get pics yesterday.(taken by my co passenger)

Bangalore Elevated Tollway-3df4784965034993b45956ed1df28ce7.jpeg

Bangalore Elevated Tollway-1f2c02fe3470470a98e9d8d7dedee5e6.jpeg

Looks mobile related, was wondering if some sort of radar/speed sensor.

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th December 2019 at 11:54. Reason: Don't need to merge. Can stay independent.
Old 30th December 2019, 10:43   #857
Senior - BHPian

Those look like wireless internet antenna used by companies like Tikona Broadband.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 14:39   #858
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

OFF TOPIC:

I drove my friend’s Audi A6 along the Expressway today. The speed limit of 60 is unrealistic.
Coming back, we used the below road. Without realising, just after the miserable, chaotic, disgusting HOSA road mess, I was doing 73kmph (the A6 is so smooth that 70 feels like 40) and then I got caught and harpooned and stuffed by the evil Police Interceptor which was lurking about like one of those Star Wars Storm Troopers.
I paid my fine of Rs 1000/- but I paid it very very grudgingly, I dont mind admitting.
And I gave that blighter the Inspector a piece of my mind - stated to him quite clearly that the speed limit was unrealistic. The tolerance limit was unrealistic. And that 73kmph is NOT a criminal offence especially in a filthy state where even though one pays one’s taxes honestly the system does not provide basic facilities like decent non-pothole-ridden roads and broken surfaces. And ranted to the man about the general unfairness of it all - being penalised on the one day in a million that the road was empty and I exceeded by 13kmph.
I think this Boiled Beans Land Government, Bureaucracy, Traffic Cops, Speed Limits and BBMP/ BDA and whoever else, are horrible, nasty creatures and I am extremely unhappy at the injustice of it all.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 30th December 2019 at 14:40.
shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 16:27   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
OFF TOPIC:
I drove my friend’s Audi A6 along the Expressway today. The speed limit of 60 is unrealistic.
I think this Boiled Beans Land Government, Bureaucracy, Traffic Cops, Speed Limits and BBMP/ BDA and whoever else, are horrible, nasty creatures and I am extremely unhappy at the injustice of it all.
Hi Shankar,

You mean the speed limit when driving to Electronic city from Silk board and vice versa is only 60 kmph even taking the road below BETL?

Sorry I do not go to that part of the city often and unfamiliar with the roads and routes. But I need to visit that area for some work in the future and was planning to take the road below.
Old 30th December 2019, 16:45   #860
BHPian

Quote:

I feel your pain, the 60 kmph is very slow in elevated toll way even for my humble Terrano. Though I understand the reason behind the lowering of the speed limit after the maintenance work, was to reduce the accidents.

But frequent passengers of the toll way know that there is a high chance of police interceptor at the centre, so reduce until that point and back to normal (safe) speeds after. ( if taxis are going slow you know something is up.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post

You mean the speed limit when driving to Electronic city from Silk board and vice versa is only 60 kmph even taking the road below BETL?

Sorry I do not go to that part of the city often and unfamiliar with the roads and routes. But I need to visit that area for some work in the future and was planning to take the road below.
I guess he was talking about the elevated tollway, the speed limit is 60.

Even the road below has some speed limit not sure if it 40 or 60. High chance of interceptor near PESIT college or before jail road signal on the way back.( i think the interceptor will be in one of the above locations and keep shuffling)

Last edited by SideView : 30th December 2019 at 16:49.
Old 30th December 2019, 16:54   #861
Team-BHP Support

Both elevated and down below have been revised to 60Km/Hr. It was 80 above and 60 below but even above has been revised to 60kph now.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 16:55   #862
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
OFF TOPIC:

Coming back, we used the below road. Without realising, just after the miserable, chaotic, disgusting HOSA road mess, I was doing 73kmph (the A6 is so smooth that 70 feels like 40) and then I got caught and harpooned and stuffed by the evil Police Interceptor which was lurking about like one of those Star Wars Storm Troopers.
I paid my fine of Rs 1000/- but I paid it very very grudgingly, I dont mind admitting.
I can feel your pain. I paid the same on Saturday when returning from Pondy. I was first off the signal and doing around 70. My mistake was I was in the middle lane. There were other overtaking me on the right but I was asked to pull over.
Old 30th December 2019, 17:25   #863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The speed limit of 60 is unrealistic.
Coming back, we used the below road. And ranted to the man about the general unfairness of it all - being penalised on the one day in a million that the road was empty and I exceeded by 13kmph.
While I empathise with you and agree that the speed limit might be unreasonable (considering it is supposed to be a highway) but having used that road for long time and seeing lot of accidents I tend to see that lesser speed limit makes sense, especially on the expressway. Vehicles cutting across at intersections without seeing, people jumping across medians to cross the road plus metro work are all some which can give nightmares to many while driving that side.

While not agreeing to rules is one's own personal opinion, why to blame the inspector for doing his job. He did not penalise just for the heck of it now did he?
Old 30th December 2019, 21:56   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
While I empathise with you and agree that the speed limit might be unreasonable (considering it is supposed to be a highway) but...

... to blame the inspector for doing his job. He did not penalise just for the heck of it now did he?
I would blame the government officials for penalizing those speeding safely. It is a fact that they do it to collect fines and not improve safety in any way.
In fact, I'd go so far as to say that they are actually obstructing traffic in a city with poor infrastructure. How do you increase capacity of the limited infrastructure? Widen or multiply the number of roads - the government has failed to do this. Grade separation? Fail.
Safety? Fail. One solution - increase speeds. Doubling the speed will double the flow.
How do you condone the haphazard movement of vehicles on a highway? The same sarkaari police officer can see vehicles moving in the wrong direction on the highway, but he is focused on collecting fines for speeding only. We all know what a bunch of hypocrites these people are.
What about the BETL, any reason why the speed limit should be 60 kmph?
Sorry, I don't buy your explanation or your support for an unethical sarkaari afser, who is using the speed limit just to collect money.
On Topic: The 60 kmph rule on the BETL has made it even more unsafe. If I follow it, a large number of vehicles will overtake me left and right, because nearly everyone feels it is too slow. If I don't, I would be breaking the speed limit. I can bet you that there is no data in support of the lower speed limit. The speed limit is set the same way the decision to put a signal on the Richmond road flyover was made (and this was stated by another police officer) - some arrogant IPS officer simply decided. I wish we could get them, sorry, that official to reconsider.
Old 30th December 2019, 22:18   #865
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post

While not agreeing to rules is one's own personal opinion, why to blame the inspector for doing his job. He did not penalise just for the heck of it now did he?
I am not a saint.
And 60KMPH Speed limit is not making sense.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 23:45   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
I would blame the government officials for penalizing those speeding safely. It is a fact that they do it to collect fines and not improve safety in any way.
What speed is safe according to you? Speed is a relative term (atleast to me) For me going at 60 might be safe while for you it may be 80 and for someone else it might be something else.

Quote:
In fact, I'd go so far as to say that they are actually obstructing traffic in a city with poor infrastructure. How do you increase capacity of the limited infrastructure? Widen or multiply the number of roads - the government has failed to do this. Grade separation? Fail.
Safety? Fail. One solution - increase speeds. Doubling the speed will double the flow.
How do you condone the haphazard movement of vehicles on a highway? The same sarkaari police officer can see vehicles moving in the wrong direction on the highway, but he is focused on collecting fines for speeding only. We all know what a bunch of hypocrites these people are.
The infrastructure bit is more of a rant against the government than anything else. They are the ones who have created the mess what we call as Bengaluru now. While I agree cops turn blind for some offenses, but atleast they are penalising for some. Yes its unfortunate that its almost always private vehicles which are penalised but thats a different debate altogether.

Quote:
What about the BETL, any reason why the speed limit should be 60 kmph?
Regarding the speed limit on BETL I had heard its mostly because of the 2 wheelers it was reduced to 60kmph. Worst of the lot are them as any small touch at even normal speeds are very risky for them. I have been a witness for one of the accidents and its scary.

Quote:
Sorry, I don't buy your explanation or your support for an unethical sarkaari afser, who is using the speed limit just to collect money.
And in the same way you can't paint everyone with the same brush. There are many corrupt officers yes but one can't generalise that all of them are taking money.

Quote:
On Topic: The 60 kmph rule on the BETL has made it even more unsafe. If I follow it, a large number of vehicles will overtake me left and right, because nearly everyone feels it is too slow. If I don't, I would be breaking the speed limit. I can bet you that there is no data in support of the lower speed limit. The speed limit is set the same way the decision to put a signal on the Richmond road flyover was made (and this was stated by another police officer) - some arrogant IPS officer simply decided. I wish we could get them, sorry, that official to reconsider.
Nobody cared about the speed limit earlier nor will they now. When it was 80 earlier, every vehicle used to zip along at 3 digit speeds and even now its the same. But does it mean that whatever majority follow should be the new norm?

Quote:
I am not a saint.
And 60KMPH Speed limit is not making sense.
I agree wholeheartedly that it doesn't make sense (and I ain't any saint either). All I am saying is you can't blame the cop for doing his duty unless he troubles you for no reason.

P.S: Just to clarify I don't have any family member in any government department. I have had a few run in with the traffic cops too but I grit and pay up as long as I have erred.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 30th December 2019 at 23:48.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 14:28   #867
BHPian

While the speed limit is 60 on the expressway but I have hardly seen the cops catching someone doing 70-80, I mostly try to maintain an optimum speed but sometimes even I have surpassed the cops doing 70-75 but they hardly notice it. They mostly target vehicles which are doing above 90 is what I have observed, I may be wrong here.

But what I see is that the cops are there only on a few occasions and no one really cares about the speed limit on most days. There have been occasions where people (including 2-wheelers) impatiently try to overtake even if you are going on a safe speed of 70-80.

If they allow all kind of vehicles on the expressway they had to come up with a speed limit which is applicable to all (60 in this case) or there should be separate speed limits for each category of vehicles like 60 for 2 wheelers, 80 for 4 wheelers, 120 for morons
Old 31st December 2019, 15:36   #868
BANNED

There is no visible Speed Limit boards anywhere on our great new super highways - KA to TN on the main Salem Road, Madras Road, KA to KA on the Hassan road, KA to AP on the KIAL and beyond road etc. Most people who have modern fast cars tend to fly on these roads.
NICE Road is like a testing and proving ground for anyone wishing to buy and drive a new fancy car. The flyover towards Airport from Hebbal onwards- they have a speed limit of 80kmph which I notice, no one observes.
So this Electronic City Tollway should also have atleast 80kmph speed limit as should the downstairs bit.
Old 31st December 2019, 16:16   #869
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is no visible Speed Limit boards anywhere on our great new super highways - KA to TN on the main Salem Road, Madras Road, KA to KA on the Hassan road, KA to AP on the KIAL and beyond road etc. Most people who have modern fast cars tend to fly on these roads.
NICE Road is like a testing and proving ground for anyone wishing to buy and drive a new fancy car. The flyover towards Airport from Hebbal onwards- they have a speed limit of 80kmph which I notice, no one observes.
So this Electronic City Tollway should also have atleast 80kmph speed limit as should the downstairs bit.
It is 60 kph and on the odd day there’s an interceptor on it, you will be dearer by a few thousands.

I know.
Old 31st December 2019, 16:33   #870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
It is 60 kph and on the odd day there’s an interceptor on it, you will be dearer by a few thousands.

I know.
True and higher probability on weekends when the intercity “visitor” traffic is higher.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks