Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2014, 09:53   #721
Senior - BHPian

re: Bangalore Elevated Tollway

I understand that they have to increase the toll. But every year? And this is more irritating when they are making the monthly pass holders pay more! And in all this, they do not even turn on all the streetlights on the BETL - even when it is raining. I mean, I am paying for their service. I have complained so many times - to no avail. Can we push for this some way?
Old 3rd November 2014, 14:25   #722
Senior - BHPian

So I finally went and met Mr.Ranjit Ponappa, the manager for the BETL office in EC1. I put across the following points:

1. It doesn't make sense to charge the monthly pass holders more. I ride a 2-wheeler and on average, I go to office 20~22 days in a month. This is Rs.530 for me for 30 days (monthly pass). This was Rs.500 before. But the daily pass is still only Rs.25. Shouldn't they be encouraging people to get the monthly passes?
For this, his reply was that toll values are revised every year and that it is the NHAI that decides this amount. Out of BETL's hands he said.

2. Every day, I waste around 4~5 minutes just waiting in line at the 2-wheeler lane to swipe my card. Asked him to increase it by one lane at least.
For this, he replied that they do that in peak hour traffic and that they will ask someone to look into this. Probably allowing bikes to use the car lanes.

3. The lights aren't on on the complete length of the flyover. Even when it is raining. Told him that this was a real hazard especially for bikers.
He said that this is something he will look into and sounded surprised that the lights weren't on.

Well, lets see what comes out of this. Just verbal assurances rarely work. Next time, I will send them a registered letter.
naveenroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 12:17   #723
Senior - BHPian

Another aspect which I need to highlight. BETL folks needs to identify a way in which quick help can be provided in case of motor accidents. Right now, the two lanes (Bangalore bound and Elec. City bound) are separated completely. So in case an accident happens, the rescue team (ambulance and police party) would have to come on the same lane to provide help. Now in Bangalore (with its excellent road discipline standards) the lane would become chaotic as vehicles would pile up in all possible directions. A traffic block would form in seconds an the ambulance would find it tough to move forward.

The next option would be to send the rescue team on the opposite lane, but they would not be able to cross over to the lane in which the accident has occurred. The option of having breaks in the barrier would be counter productive. People would use it to make illegal U turns. Perhaps barriers which can be locked up, and unlocked by authorised personnel may be the only way out.

At present if a serious mishap happens on BETL chances of an effective rescue is pretty much nil.
Old 16th November 2014, 12:19   #724
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, not sure if this is the place, but for those who have taken the elevated road to the airport, is the exit at yelahanka still present? I was using this road to go to yelahanka since the railway underpass at yelahanka was incomplete and this meant that I could use this road and exit to Yelahanka town. So is this option still present or has the upper and lower roads been split? I need to go there this Saturday so was wondering.
Old 16th November 2014, 14:21   #725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Guys, not sure if this is the place, but for those who have taken the elevated road to the airport, is the exit at yelahanka still present? I was using this road to go to yelahanka since the railway underpass at yelahanka was incomplete and this meant that I could use this road and exit to Yelahanka town. So is this option still present or has the upper and lower roads been split? I need to go there this Saturday so was wondering.
You can take the elevated road from Esteem Mall onwards and then get down at the very first exit (Mahindra show room and Corangas Hotel),continue on Service road for 150 meters and turn left here. By driving for a few Hundred meters after taking left,you will reach the Market Signal at Yelahanka (where heading straight would take you to Railway station)and taking left will lead to the Police station Signal (that you would otherwise approach from the now closed Entry to Yelahanka due to ROB work)
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2014, 17:09   #726
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You can take the elevated road from Esteem Mall onwards and then get down at the very first exit (Mahindra show room and Corangas Hotel),continue on Service road for 150 meters and turn left here. By driving for a few Hundred meters after taking left,you will reach the Market Signal at Yelahanka (where heading straight would take you to Railway station)and taking left will lead to the Police station Signal (that you would otherwise approach from the now closed Entry to Yelahanka due to ROB work)
Thanks! Just wanted to confirm if the cutting existed still. I had seen that the Railway under bridge was under construction on either sides of the highway which will enable the highway authorities to seal off the elevated express way thus cutting the yelahanka exit. I used to take this route in June to reach Yelahanka new town which was as you stated by getting off the expressway and taking a left in a rather small road to reach the bus stand.
Old 20th November 2014, 15:04   #727
Senior - BHPian

Folks - the website says that the Balance based option still exists. BUt when I went to buy an OBU for my car with a Balance Based fee, they said it has been stopped.

What is the truth? I am consulting & monthly does not work out for me.
Old 20th November 2014, 15:48   #728
Distinguished - BHPian

All we Educated folks representing "Hi Tech" City fail to read basic English signage written in Bold red on a white background why a particular lane is restricted to OBU Holders!!
This was at 2:30PM today.
Bangalore Elevated Tollway-1416478703032.jpg
The surprise was a Black Swift that was on my left blocking the 2 wheelers with his usual thinking that he's seen gap wide enough for his car, so lets sneak in and break the queue.

And yes, quite a few number of regulars in disguise of cabbies who drop their employees on daily basis and yet pretend that they don't know what OBU lane is for.

Last edited by paragsachania : 20th November 2014 at 15:52.
Old 20th November 2014, 16:52   #729
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore Elevated Tollway

Quote:

And yes, quite a few number of regulars in disguise of cabbies who drop their employees on daily basis and yet pretend that they don't know what OBU lane is for.
Oh just tired of paying and taking the toll road. But I do it day after day since I hate the reckless driving that happens down below. Ah, can't do a damn thing.
Old 20th November 2014, 18:23   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All we Educated folks representing "Hi Tech" City fail to read basic English signage written in Bold red on a white background why a particular lane is restricted to OBU Holders!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Oh just tired of paying and taking the toll road. But I do it day after day since I hate the reckless driving that happens down below. Ah, can't do a damn thing.
one of these days i'm gonna drive a tank through that toll and crush every damn dimwit who is blocking the OBU lane!

the whole point of this BETL is fading away.
* first, you have to wait to get on to the flyover, coz the nincompoops wanting to go under the flyover are blocking the path.
* once you're on it, you've to crawl till the toll coz some fools car/truck/bus/what-have-you has broken down and the whole flyover is choked.
* crawling all the way to the toll (slightly exaggerated), you find incompetent educated dimwits blocking your lane!

oh well, another day in paradise
IronH4WK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st November 2014, 00:17   #731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Folks - the website says that the Balance based option still exists. BUt when I went to buy an OBU for my car with a Balance Based fee, they said it has been stopped.

What is the truth? I am consulting & monthly does not work out for me.
Thats the same thing mentioned to me by my friend who tried to get a new pass 2 months back.I guess they have stopped issuing new OBUs with the balance based option. Maybe you can give a complaint as well at the BETL office.

Also wait till December because the Fast tag system - Electronic toll collection by NHAI based on prepaid cards should be in place by Dec 31st and that should have a balance based option. I heard that BETL has received the same notification from the guys when i went to the toll gate to replace the batteries in my OBU. Maybe you can check with BETL about this as well.
Old 12th March 2015, 13:05   #732
Senior - BHPian

For folks using the OBU here's something you need to know.

Bangalore Elevated Tollway-imageuploadedbyteambhp1426145481.591032.jpg

btw, where is their office?

Last edited by IronH4WK : 12th March 2015 at 13:13.
Old 12th March 2015, 13:18   #733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
To take it in a positive note. I think BETL is planning to use the RFID devices which NHAI now plans to put all across India. Remember there is a grand scheme of having a "pay-as-you-go" RFID system for all Toll Booths in India? I guess this is now getting implemented.

I would wait for the day when this device starts appearing on the NH7-NH47 sector. They have one ready customer eagerly waiting.
Old 12th March 2015, 13:27   #734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for uploading the image.

BETL office located on the road which connects BP petrol bunk (near HCL) to D-Mart. It is clearly marked on google maps.

Will they refund/adjust the 150/- we paid for the OBU against this new RFID tag ? And what happens to the old balance amount ?

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 12th March 2015 at 13:28.
Old 12th March 2015, 13:29   #735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It is near D-Mart in Electronic city, close to petrol pump
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore Elevated Tollway-betl.jpg  

Last edited by Latheesh : 12th March 2015 at 13:35.
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks