Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2010, 16:49   #151
Senior - BHPian

Nice initiative. Hope you dont get the "not sufficient cops" answer. I already hear a lot of "people need to do their own bit", "government cannot do everything".

For traffic jams and people not stopping on red, where is corruption involved? If there is no police, no one follows the law. Most of the problems are with people not following rules. So to enforce it, you need thousands of cops or cameras. And police cannot do this unilaterally.
Old 21st April 2010, 17:01   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Most of the problems are with people not following rules. So to enforce it, you need thousands of cops or cameras. And police cannot do this unilaterally.
To start with, enforcement can be done at places where there are cops. This may be a small step, but still a step in the right direction.

If the cop is found to be wanting in his responsibilities, then the complaint system can be used by citizens. Follow up on the complaint will ensure that, over a period of time, there is accountability from traffic police. Some sort of two way communication system. To increase public confidence.

As Ranjan explained earlier, the chain of lawlessness is contagious. When people see lot of others breaking rules and not getting punished, then the trend catches on. The above complaint system may reverse the trend.

Corruption - it is a big topic. If we start discussions with CP on that topic, I am sure it is not going anywhere. It will be like biting more than what can be chewed. Isn't it better to take small concrete steps in the right direction? Rather than aiming to solve the entire problem in one go?

Debates on corruption has been going on in this country for ages. It will continue too. Just my 2 cents.
Old 21st April 2010, 23:00   #153
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Though i do not condone any act of corruption, don't we need to look at another aspect, which is the conditions and the way these people need to operate?
They have literally no powers, any idiot can claim to be a so and so of Mr Mantriji and get away?
If we can quote 100s of examples of corrupt policemen, they can give you equal number of cases where they just have to let go of offenders cause they have "influence" or just escape as the systems are messed up( saying since i had a detailed talk with a senior official near my home booking offenders)
Corruption has 2 parts, the person asking money and the one offering. I think its almost impossible to put the blame on a side, it works both ways. However there needs to be a way to have powers in the hand of honest people on either side to take the dishonest party to task. Question- how do you decide who is honest?
Am sure there wont be many "Idiots" who could claim power. The percentage will be low, it won't effect much.

This has nothing to do with corruption. The Idea of reporting about the cops is when they are found not doing something correctly. Like, asking people to come through the wrong way, leaving commercial vehicles with whatever they do.. etc. Let them take money if they want, but Atleast catch the Culprits?
Old 25th April 2010, 08:00   #154
BANNED

The thread is Dead?

What about all the planning we were doing?
Old 25th April 2010, 09:15   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
The thread is Dead?

What about all the planning we were doing?
Dude Todays a Sunday
Let them wake up atleast.
Old 27th April 2010, 13:44   #156
Senior - BHPian

*BUMP*

Guys whats the news? Does the thread stay inactive till first week of May since the CoP is only free then?

When are we meeting to get our stuff ready to present to the CoP
Old 28th April 2010, 03:05   #157
BHPian

Sorry about the inactivity guys!!

I'm working on a 8-figure dollar deal for my company which is actually taking up my sleep time as well from the last 10 days. Hardly have been able to do anything else other then bathe and eat regularly.

I'll update the time and place to meet by EOD Thursday. The meet will be on 2nd of May (Sunday) 2010. Let me know if you guys want to plan something over a coffee or over a drink so we can do this accordingly. I will decide a center place for it accordingly where we will not be disturbed. Pour in your suggestions.

The meet with the CoP can be arranged even at short notice easily so no hassles there. Lets do this initiative no matter what it takes!
Old 28th April 2010, 09:01   #158
BHPian

Great going CorsaLove
But we should have a set of recos and all before we go in and meet the CoP.
This would really be a good oppurtunity for t-bhp to put forth a case for a good cause and lets not land up on his face unprepared.
Lets have a convincing argument and supporting points ready.

As CL said lets meet over a cup of coffee or drink and sort it all out so that whatever we present in front of the CoP is crisp and upto the point.
Old 28th April 2010, 09:46   #159
Senior - BHPian

Ridiculous man, sad to see that the traffic police is allowing this.

in mumbai, even in dense traffic, i have not seen policemen allowing even bikers to cross the dividers, let alone cars! in small 'gallis', the bikers do cross but they come to the correct lane a few metres before the signal or intersection, so that the cop does not spot them doing this.

by the way, nice volvos!
Old 30th April 2010, 14:15   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Great going CorsaLove
But we should have a set of recos and all before we go in and meet the CoP.
This would really be a good oppurtunity for t-bhp to put forth a case for a good cause and lets not land up on his face unprepared.
Lets have a convincing argument and supporting points ready.

As CL said lets meet over a cup of coffee or drink and sort it all out so that whatever we present in front of the CoP is crisp and upto the point.
Very true, Lets all meet up and jot down points and then meet COP and then talk otherwise it will be a big mess and we may miss out on few issues to be discussed. What say fellow bhpians
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:11   #161
Senior - BHPian

The highest traffic violators are the govt vehicles & I've seen that enough in Chennai; I think now I've to attribute that to our entire country. But I haven't seen cop cars & motorcycles jumping law here in Chennai & this could be some emergency I guess.
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:19   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
this could be some emergency I guess.
For that they have the Lumax lights above their heads that could be rolled with a short siren every now and then to make way on the road. I faced this in Kolhapur when I was sticking to a signal and the SP's jeep had to be cleared for something. One *Pow Wow* from the wailer and I was out of his way.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 3rd May 2010 at 09:21.
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:21   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
For that they have the Lumax light above their heads that could be rolled with a short siren every now and then to make way on the road. I faced this in Kolhapur when I was sticking to a signal and the SP's jeep had to be cleared for something. One *Pow Wow* and was out of his way.
You're more than true; somewhere I remember hearing that the revolving lights are turned ON for others on the road to yield way & the siren is in real emergency & VIP reason.
Old 3rd May 2010, 09:28   #164
Senior - BHPian

No flashing lights, no siren. They were just ambling along before that. I know because i saw them join the traffic just behind me right after the dairy circle flyover.
It is just a habit for them.
Old 3rd May 2010, 11:29   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
For that they have the Lumax lights above their heads that could be rolled with a short siren every now and then to make way on the road. I faced this in Kolhapur when I was sticking to a signal and the SP's jeep had to be cleared for something. One *Pow Wow* from the wailer and I was out of his way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
You're more than true; somewhere I remember hearing that the revolving lights are turned ON for others on the road to yield way & the siren is in real emergency & VIP reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
No flashing lights, no siren. They were just ambling along before that. I know because i saw them join the traffic just behind me right after the dairy circle flyover.
It is just a habit for them.
Would you all believe if I told you that even the stupid ambulance driver sometimes uses his emergency alarm and the blue lights just to get his way even when he may not be on his routine pickup/drop of any patient.

I myself have caught these irresponsible ambulance drivers twice and gave them a beating of their lifetimes with much help from the other locals who felt it as an insult of playing with human emotions

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks