Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 14:00   #106
BHPian

Once again, PLEASE do not bring any Kannada / Local angle to this thread. That definitely is NOT the intention of this thread.
Being a local or knowledge of Kannada should NOT / NEVER help you. That should not be the criterion. Instead the TRUTH should help you.

Its also NOT about whether Bangaloreans are Good / Bad. Every place has good and bad people.

We ALL belong here. Thats why we rant about these things. If we don't love this place, why would we even bother wasting time thinking about it?

So, please NO MORE reference to Kannada and Locals!

-- Torqy
Old 16th April 2010, 14:46   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Based on personal experiences, i do not agree to this statement. They havent slapped me, but they hurl expletives for sure, even if you are in need of support from them. In most probability, you havent gone through this thread of mine -> My_experience
Check out the role of the helpful and soft cop in the picture.

And yeah, contest them against why you are tergetted, while an auto is let free, and you earn their wrath again. Experience mentioned by me earlier in this thread.

Srishiva, there is no need to take the accusations against cops as a remark against Kannadigas in general. There are a lot of wonderful people from this city, however the cops and their attitude go against the general opinion.
I need to tell my out of state friends that they are wrong too. We tell people to not generalize and then do the same thing.
I am not a native kannadiga, so I expect you not to judge and address anyone personally. I have nothing against discussing the topic.
Old 16th April 2010, 17:51   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
You accepted that although traffic is bad in all cities, it doesnt mean we should do nothing about the traffic situation in Bangalore. I dont hear you or anyone saying that although no outsider is welcomed in any city, it doesnt mean we shouldn't try to set this right in Bangalore.
Just scroll down the posts. People saying "dont bring localite - outsider into the picture" is nothing but denial.
I am bringing Bangalore into the picture because i am living in Bangalore. I thought that was kinda obvious.

You ask where is the question of denying. I ask where is resolve to fix it?
As long as we have people hiding under the excuse that its happening all over the country, and refusing to accept it as a problem that needs to be addressed at individual levels, i will consider it as denial.
a. I never said traffic in bengalooru is fine and there is nothing to fix
b. Am not hiding under any excuse that its happening all over the country and nothing should be done about it.
c. You can bring bengalooru into picture a you are living here is obvious and also appreciate that you want things to improve just as I do.

I have lived here and also in other parts of the country as well as other countries. I know what the situation is. So make no mistake about my desire to see a better behaved traffic herel.

I have also mentioned in some other post "rant on Bangalore traffic" i guess, that we are beyond educating people on traffic sense. Strict policing is the only way to improve things here.
Old 16th April 2010, 18:34   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I need to tell my out of state friends that they are wrong too.
Oh, come on! Why again this divide as "in state" and "out of state". If someone said not-a-good opinion Bangalore Traffic Police, it's of course about Bangalore Traffic Police. Not against all "in state" people. Neither does it mean that the "out of state" people are saints. Even further, who is to say that Bangalore Traffic Police consists ONLY of "in state" people. There could be personnel from the same "out of state" region in Bangalore Traffic Police as the very person who cribs about them belong to.
So let's remember it's just about a force, their manners and their "up bringing"!
Old 16th April 2010, 19:10   #110
Senior - BHPian

Folks why are we ranting so much about the cops in namma bengaluru ? I don't intend to be cynical here,but will it change the situation a wee bit, I don't think so. No cop is gonna read this 115 posts , 8 page thread.

From my experience hold your grounds when confronted by cop if you aren't at fault, there is nothing he could do.

The best part of this thread was that someone wanted a cop speaking bhohpuri .

Here's what happened yesterday. Dickenson Road and the surrounding area's are a mess because of the 1 way rule imposed to reach MG Road.

I find a traffic cops gypsy coming in the wrong direction and straight into my lane, mind you this is a one way. The vehicles ahead of me make way for the gypsy to come thru, I dint budge and nor did the chap driving aside my car was in a mood to make way.With 2 scorp's side by side there is no space.

The storm water drains dug up on one side and 2 scorp's side by side there is hardly any space. I put up a smile on my face and stay there with my mammoth. Traffic ahead of the other scorp' also isn't moving. If it did move I could change lanes and let the gypsy pass.

The whole lane is jam packed and there is no way I could reverse or move to the side.
With no choice the gypsy reversed into a ground(where a fair is being held) and let me go. I moved on and the other dude gave me a smile and I managed to get out of the mess.
Old 17th April 2010, 01:13   #111
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
The best part of this thread was that someone wanted a cop speaking [i]bhohpuri .
There is no language called Bhohpuri.

@All - I used to stay near Ramaiah college earlier and have seen the cops out there very very honest. Specially 1 cop whom I know by face but not name. This guys really works hard to keep the traffic clean on the NEW BEL Road, and that is the reason we have such an awesome traffic flow on that road.

Today had been to the NEW BEL road and I was getting my car's wheel balancing and alignment checked. This shop is on the main road itself. I saw there were a few cars parked on the road itself. The honest cop comes on a Pulsar, fills out the challan of 100rs and sticks it on the windshield and goes off. I was impressed. Wow, such a clean deed.

But everything does not have a happy ending. The moment the car owner comes back he checks the challan. Takes it off, tears it and throws it away I was so pissed of, I went and asked the guy why doesn't he pay the fine when he is doing something wrong? As usual, he does not understand English (even if he did, he showed he did not because he knew he was doing something wrong). I stopped him and did not allow him to move.

After sometime, a Hoysala comes over and I stop them, explain them the scenerio. Then started this conversation between the car owner and cops in Kannada which I hardly understood. After sometime the cops move and then the car owner also showing me the middle finger. I asked him to come back and lets check how strong his finger is, but he fled.

Question is, what about the challan? it was still on the road torn away. I know that this guy could go ahead and still pay the fine, but I don't think he was planning to do that.

Out of this I found 1 honest cop and 4 dishonest ones. 1 out of 4, not bad for this place. Waiting to see 4 out of 4

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 17th April 2010 at 01:16.
Old 17th April 2010, 03:09   #112
BHPian

Let's do something!!

All the Rant about how bad the cops are can be done for years together and every minute of it. I think as a respectable Forum's members, we can practically do something about it. Here is how:

1) Instead of having a Meet for fun, we can all meet up with the Traffic Police Commissioner and provide feedback. Many voices are heard then just one!

2) Bangalore Police can have a Feedback system in place for all the issues to be sent by email/ direct mail to one center handling these queries. Of course the Name and station of the cop can be collected during the incident as well for the feedback to be effective.

3) If we are able to convince the Commissioner about a good feedback system directly to the Commissioner's office and any kind of action/warning against a Police Officer, it might slowly creep into the cops themselves over the months to come. Of course there will be a few more steps to this before any action to cross check on the incident.

Moral of the story:

How can we do it? here is how: A meeting with the Commissioner can be set (by me, easily) and we can all meet up to represent the forum and the good cause that we are there for. Of course the number of people has to be determined we before. We meet, we discuss and we conclude.

Secondly: My company does and spends a lot of money for social and people awareness initiatives for the urban crowd through email, SMS and even brochures being printed and distributed at named locations. Being in the management I can commit that we would do this for this cause as well to make Bangalore a more efficient and safe city.

Think about it guys and let me know so that we can do something for the society and for the outsiders who face a problem of not feeling safe in this City!

Folks this might sound very naive but there is nothing lost in trying!!

Last edited by CorsaLove : 17th April 2010 at 03:10. Reason: Addition
Old 17th April 2010, 03:43   #113
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
All the Rant about how bad the cops are can be done for years together and every minute of it. I think as a respectable Forum's members, we can practically do something about it. Here is how:

Folks this might sound very naive but there is nothing lost in trying!!
Count me..

Anywhere, Any time. Even if I have to take leave for a week I am ready.

If this is possible, great thought Corsa..

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 17th April 2010 at 03:44.
Old 17th April 2010, 03:55   #114
BHPian

@Corsa & @Ranjan - Great initiative. All the very best.
Old 17th April 2010, 06:56   #115
Senior - BHPian

Great initiative Gautam. Count me in.

Quote:
How can we do it? here is how: A meeting with the Commissioner can be set (by me, easily) and we can all meet up to represent the forum and the good cause that we are there for. Of course the number of people has to be determined we before. We meet, we discuss and we conclude.
The discussion with Commissioner has to be structured and ordered. TeamBHP's representation and voice has to be uniform, highlighting the issues at hand. We should never get into the domain of individuals or language or such other things. Then the message will be lost.

Quote:
Secondly: My company does and spends a lot of money for social and people awareness initiatives for the urban crowd through email, SMS and even brochures being printed and distributed at named locations. Being in the management I can commit that we would do this for this cause as well to make Bangalore a more efficient and safe city.
Does your company have influence on how cabs and other official transport are operated? Traffic on our roads will be significantly better if the cabbies are reigned in.
Old 17th April 2010, 12:39   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Count me..

Anywhere, Any time. Even if I have to take leave for a week I am ready.

If this is possible, great thought Corsa..
This is very much possible if we have enough support from all the team-members!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
@Corsa & @Ranjan - Great initiative. All the very best.
Thanks, your support will be much valuable to this cause!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Great initiative Gautam. Count me in.

The discussion with Commissioner has to be structured and ordered. TeamBHP's representation and voice has to be uniform, highlighting the issues at hand. We should never get into the domain of individuals or language or such other things. Then the message will be lost.

Does your company have influence on how cabs and other official transport are operated? Traffic on our roads will be significantly better if the cabbies are reigned in.
I quite understand your point and I think as per the pulse of the forum, we all speak the same language, just have to sharpen things up for the meet, if at all it is made possible.

Unfortunately, we have not direct connection with them but only through transport government. What was your thought here?
Old 17th April 2010, 15:52   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Think about it guys and let me know so that we can do something for the society and for the outsiders who face a problem of not feeling safe in this City!
Count me IN for any such initiatives.
Old 17th April 2010, 19:21   #118
BHPian

Mr Praveen Sood is a very level headed and "technology enabled" person. I have interacted with him and can vouch for that.

We will have to do our homework well. Going there and telling him all the issues that we face on road will not help. He knows all this. We need to go there with solutions and plans to implement it.

We must first form a group among us and chalk out a clear plan.

And I am definitely IN.

Regards,
Old 18th April 2010, 10:00   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Mr Praveen Sood is a very level headed and "technology enabled" person. I have interacted with him and can vouch for that.

We will have to do our homework well. Going there and telling him all the issues that we face on road will not help. He knows all this. We need to go there with solutions and plans to implement it.
There is only one solution - ENFORCEMENT of laws and that too strictly!

Here's what I feel should be done:

1. Educate the Police force on what the laws actually are, teach them about lane discipline, right of way.

2. Educate the Police force to speak in a courteous manner to the people, and ensure that they're proficient in English and Hindi (well regional politics aside, Hindi is a fact of life in India, and there's no point ignoring it!)

3. Start a campaign to educate people on the laws(and most importantly lane discipline).Let the people know a date after which lawlessness will not be tolerated, and stick to that.

4. Police should show NO MERCY to cabs/autos/buses breaking the law.

5. Start with the signals when it comes to enforcement. Anyone who is in an orderly manner in the right lane should be allowed to take a right turn at the signal, anyone who takes the left lane and then comes right when the signal turns green should be given a very hefty fine - say like Rs 500 or so (almost every bangalorean would be liable for this fine, I'm yet to find a Bangalorean who knows the correct way to take right turn!). Also give a 500 rupees fine for anyone coming the wrong way.

6. If a Cop is found breaking the law - ensure a strict action - like suspension for a day.

7. Have people/cameras on the street that track people who zig-zag through lanes and penalize them. If one does not respond to a fine sent, ensure a mechanism in place that will confiscate the vehicle and enforce a fine.

8. DONOT give out driving licenses without proper tests, also make sure theres a "theory" exam on driving habits, discipline and traffic rules (even if people mug up for this exam, they will be at least aware of whatever rules exist!)

9. Ensure that the "agent" system in RTOs is squashed!

All this requires the police system to be honest and work with motivation though. Apart from this it also requires a certain backing from the Govt of Karnataka (I'm not sure if this will happen )

The suggestions I've given aren't impossible to implement , it just needs people in the right places to have the drive to change things for the better, till then I cannot see how this place will not go to the dogs in a few years from now !

Last edited by techn0l0gist : 18th April 2010 at 10:05.
Old 18th April 2010, 10:20   #120
BANNED

10. Allow normal public to raise a complaint against cops and informed about the actions taken if the complaint is really valid.

Well this sound impossible to me, but if it is possible, will resolve ALL our problems here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks