Old 11th May 2010, 16:15   #76

Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I Know its little off topic but i got this email from one of my team members who is related to this guy who sent the orignal mail.

Where there is money there is crime, it was metros first and now even small cities are joining the list.

Pramod
In Kerala, the well established "quotation gangs" can only make it worse. They can do such activites in their "free time" between quotations just to keep their spirits running and make such extra buck.
Old 11th May 2010, 16:39   #77

Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Sorry, but I find this a bit strange. For a start, how does the con guy get your phone number, 2) how do they know your car number, 3) probably they have seen your car, noted the number, but then how do they get your phone number, 4)How do they know what is the number of the guy they call

Unless, someone went through the effort of doing a thorough investigation to fnd out these details
The person already knows the regn number of the car parked inside your house.He also has your name & house number from the name plate outside your house.So, if you have a BSNL/MTNL landline number, then it won't even take a minute to find out your telephone number from the online directory.
Old 11th May 2010, 16:59   #78

WAAAL my town is the safest in the land. We just have a few terrorists, some gropers, a few acid throwers and some dozen odd rapists running around in saddi Delhi. Few days ago a woman was raped by the auto rickshaw driver and his mates as she was trying to get home from a modeling assignment. She was married and I can only imagine how tortured the husband must be feeling , how helpless, how full of rage against the system.
Take it for a fact gents that our cities are no longer safe and vermin abound. Law and order is a myth. My house has been robbed (DDA Flats Sarita Vihar), my parents house was robbed (Noida Sector 15) while they were out on vacation. My Bolero was stolen and so there you have it. Now I had to keep a dog (the police wouldn't even register an FIR as I didn't have to claim insurance; they explained how there was so much unemployment in the village behind my house) and I keep my rifle handy (ammo close by)at home. I normally will not get drunk at the pub, normally I stop at the second small vodka or second glass of beer. I do not let my wife take auto's at night, I will drop and pick her up or get a radio cab. Not saying that you should do it but brothers the times have changed, so be careful don't behave like a babe in the woods. We don't have an option anymore.

Chaunfa
Old 11th May 2010, 17:00   #79

Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Ranjan, don't you think this is inviting for trouble? Security guards in front of the ATM is fine, but will they accompany you from ATM to home? Like inder says, they follow you on the roads, unless the posch area is at a distance of stone throw
Inviting trouble? That's what you can do atmost.

There are muggers roaming around does not mean I STOP withdrawing money from ATMs.
Old 11th May 2010, 18:06   #80

Originally Posted by chaunfa View Post
WAAAL my town is the safest in the land. We just have a few terrorists, some gropers, a few acid throwers and some dozen odd rapists running around in saddi Delhi. Few days ago a woman was raped by the auto rickshaw driver and his mates as she was trying to get home from a modeling assignment. She was married and I can only imagine how tortured the husband must be feeling , how helpless, how full of rage against the system.
Take it for a fact gents that our cities are no longer safe and vermin abound. Law and order is a myth. My house has been robbed (DDA Flats Sarita Vihar), my parents house was robbed (Noida Sector 15) while they were out on vacation. My Bolero was stolen and so there you have it. Now I had to keep a dog (the police wouldn't even register an FIR as I didn't have to claim insurance; they explained how there was so much unemployment in the village behind my house) and I keep my rifle handy (ammo close by)at home. I normally will not get drunk at the pub, normally I stop at the second small vodka or second glass of beer. I do not let my wife take auto's at night, I will drop and pick her up or get a radio cab. Not saying that you should do it but brothers the times have changed, so be careful don't behave like a babe in the woods. We don't have an option anymore.

Chaunfa
Hope you have a gun safe buddy - next time you go for a vacation they might rob your gun too!!
Old 12th May 2010, 12:58   #81

Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
I have got robbed by two thugs at Silk Board at 4pm. So, to all those people who say, I stayed X years in Bangalore and nothing happened, hope it remains that way.
Im sorry for you but could you share with us what exactly happened? I often travel that way during the weekends sometimes even late night!
Old 12th May 2010, 15:08   #82
gpa

Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
As for us who drive, we should know exactly where the police stations are for the areas that we cross on our daily commute.
+1 to this. On my daily route home, I pass 3 police stations. But there are many lonely stretches that I have to pass and am always alert for any suspicious activity.

Once, two guys on a bike were tailgating me from Le Meridien hotel opposite the golf course. They got a little too close for comfort once I reached Sankey tank and so at the Sadashivnagar police station, I pulled over to the LHS of the road and stopped a few yards from the police station. Seeing this, the guys quickly rode off in the opposite direction.

Don't confront such jokers, keep to yourself and steer clear if they try any dangerous moves around your vehicle. Carrying a can of pepper spray in the car is also a good deterrent.
Old 12th May 2010, 15:18   #83

Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Carrying a can of pepper spray in the car is also a good deterrent.
Any idea where this is available in Bangalore? It would be helpful to many of us here. Thanks.
Old 12th May 2010, 15:26   #84

Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Any idea where this is available in Bangalore? It would be helpful to many of us here. Thanks.
It is available in supermarkets. I saw one at SPAR.

Rohan
Old 12th May 2010, 15:51   #85

Have seen cans at a paint shop in Basavanagudi. I think 550 a can.
Old 12th May 2010, 16:36   #86

Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Have seen cans at a paint shop in Basavanagudi. I think 550 a can.
Hi Guys .

They do a home / office delivery and if there is a bulk quantity will give a discount too .

check it out . : Spike Labs .:. The New Language Of Self Defense

i picked one up for my bro who works in valparai , in the estates .
Old 12th May 2010, 17:15   #87

well it was around Vigyanagar.
btw what is funny about it?

Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post
Which place? Please spread the news so that we be well prepared

Sounds quite funny. The saying is not true any more "Har kutta apni gali ka sher hota hai"
Old 13th May 2010, 15:03   #88

Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Looks like this thread has gone into a whirl after I posted about the incident. The idea was to make others know about the devious ways people are being mugged in this part of Bangalore and to help them take preventive measures.

One more point regarding "blending", the guys who got mugged were both locals, lived and studied in Bangalore, speaking Kannada and that didn't help them. It was in fact the thieves who were speaking broken Kannada, according to them.

Hmmmm, so should we infer that Bangalore is becoming unsafe partly (or mainly) due to the influx of people from other places in search of better "opportunities"
Old 29th May 2010, 22:20   #89

Fresh incident. This time on the Hosa Road

A friend of mine had the same experience this afternoon. He was driving on the Kasavanahalli Main road, also called as Hosa Road or Jail road when he stopped by a duo on a Pulsar claiming that the pillion was hit by my friend and he didnt stop. The bike had the number plate written only in Kannada, which for all we know could be bogus as well.

My friend who was already aware of this modus operandi, both by this thread as well as a forward demanded a complaint be filed with the cops. The goons pretended to call the cops, then cancelled the call, gave an angry stare and then took off.

Guys, please be on your guard, and DO NOT allow them access to your car. Keep to the confines of your car and remain alert. Also, please help in spreading the word so more people are aware of this issue which is happening in broad daylight. Looks like the goons are emboldended by the fact that the cops arent looking for them, and no complaint is being filed.
Old 31st May 2010, 01:41   #90

[
Originally Posted by msetlur View Post
Hmmmm, so should we infer that Bangalore is becoming unsafe partly (or mainly) due to the influx of people from other places in search of better "opportunities"
Has now become the easiest and most common practice. Moment anything bad happens in bengalooru, someone or the other starts grumbling about the increasing number of people from other states. Moment, something good happens to the same bengalooru, people forget about the people who come from other states

Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
A friend of mine had the same experience this afternoon. He was driving on the Kasavanahalli Main road, also called as Hosa
daylight. Looks like the goons are emboldended by the fact that the cops arent looking for them, and no complaint is being filed.
Man, this thread is such an eye opener. Problem going to the Police is, you are surrender yourself to another mugger to save from one.

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 31st May 2010 at 01:42.