Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2010, 07:21   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
A friend of mine had the same experience this afternoon. He was driving on the Kasavanahalli Main road, also called as Hosa Road or Jail road when he stopped by a duo on a Pulsar claiming that the pillion was hit by my friend and he didnt stop. The bike had the number plate written only in Kannada, which for all we know could be bogus as well.

My friend who was already aware of this modus operandi, both by this thread as well as a forward demanded a complaint be filed with the cops. The goons pretended to call the cops, then cancelled the call, gave an angry stare and then took off.

Guys, please be on your guard, and DO NOT allow them access to your car. Keep to the confines of your car and remain alert. Also, please help in spreading the word so more people are aware of this issue which is happening in broad daylight. Looks like the goons are emboldended by the fact that the cops arent looking for them, and no complaint is being filed.
I go this email today. There is list of phone numbers at the end of the email
================================================== =====

L Y Rajesh, Police Inspector, HSR Layout Police station, shares tips to avoid getting mugged.

Recently a certain type of vehicle mugging cases are on the rise. They seem to be targeting IT employees specifically.

The areas that have been targeted are around Iblur junction, between Iblur and Marathahalli, or Iblur to Kaikondrahalli or Kaikondrahalli to Wipro. Timings is usually between 11 am to 4 pm. The offenders are riding a black Pulsar. They are two or three of them. The vehicle has a kannada registration number plate. Identification marks: One person is stout and has a dark complexion. Another one is lean with medium complexion.

MODUS OPERANDI

They stop your vehicle on a pretext, saying that you caused an accident.
Before stopping your vehicle, they continuously honk. Till the time you stop your vehicle, they are behind.
With little opportunity, immediately they sit inside your vehicle.
They try to panic you by saying: by accident you have injured a person and compensation has to be paid.
They tell you, you have to pay the amount immediately, as the injured person is the brother of a local Don. If you don’t settle, the amount might be problem and they induce you to pay the money.
They ask you to give the money, by drawing from an ATM.
Usually they target a person driving alone in the vehicle.
They will persuade you to pay the money, they speak Kannada and broken Hindi.
They will take money or gold but not cell phone.
HOW TO PREVENT AND HOW YOU CAN HELP THE POLICE IN NABBING THEM.

If you come across such an incident, be bold, do not panic.
Lock the internal locks of the vehicle. So that they cannot sit inside your vehicle.
If by chance they get into your vehicle, get out immediately - you will be in a public place. Raise your voice and call the people around.
Immediately take their photograph and as well as vehicle number plate with your cell phone.
If they try to threaten you or manhandle you, keep a pepper spray as a defense and use it properly and carefully “if necessary”.
In there are any such cases or even if you suspect any such persons in the locality, please call on the below mentioned cell phone numbers.
If you are bold enough, immediately snatch their bike keys. Take their photographs, call the police, if the public are willing to help, secure them and hand over to police.
If you are smart/tactful enough and can hold them in conversion, inform the police by way of SMS or call and assure that you will pay them and engage them till police reaches you.
You can even tell them that you can arrange money from your friend and take them to place, where you know the people and then try to catch them with the help of known people and hand over them to police.
DON’TS

Do not panic and give away all your valuables.
Remember their operation is a planned one and even they are equally scared but they pretend to be courageous.
Do not lose your temper. Be cool and handle the situation diplomatically.
Don’t take too much risk and don’t risk your life - your safety is more important.
Don’t get down from the vehicle. And don’t allow any stranger to get into your vehicle. If they chase, immediately call the police or reach the traffic police for help. Stop the vehicle where there a lot of people and take their help.
Please be bold. Bangalore is still safe. There is nothing to panic. We are optimistic that we will be able to nab them. A squad comprising of four police personnel is formed to nab these fellows. Please remember our crime constables are now patrolling the same roads in plain clothes and their phone numbers is mentioned below. You can reach them for help either on the officers cell number, Cheetah number or Crime constable number.

We are glad to serve you and we are at your service 24/7 to help the needy and bring the culprits before the court of law. We look forward for your cooperation.

Inspector Rajesh Ph: 9448448833
Sub-Inspector Mirza Ali Raza, Ph: 9972833003
Ashok (Towards Marathahalli) -9902660986 (on Cheetah)
Vijayamurthy (Towards Iblur)-9980834703 (on Cheetah)
Manjunath Ph: 9845668681 (Crime Squad)
Ravindranath Ph: 9980399551 (Crime Squad)
Old 31st May 2010, 09:31   #92
BANNED

First of all, great initiative and good medium chosen .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post

The areas that have been targeted are around Iblur junction, between Iblur and Marathahalli, or Iblur to Kaikondrahalli or Kaikondrahalli to Wipro. Timings is usually between 11 am to 4 pm. The offenders are riding a black Pulsar. They are two or three of them. The vehicle has a kannada registration number plate. Identification marks: One person is stout and has a dark complexion. Another one is lean with medium complexion.
They have all the information above+a huge force still the muggers are free.

They know the timings+bike+place, is it so difficult to catch the morons even after having all these information?

Last edited by Ranjan Sharma : 31st May 2010 at 09:34.
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:27   #93
BHPian

Quote:
I go this email today. There is list of phone numbers at the end of the email
================================================== =====

L Y Rajesh, Police Inspector, HSR Layout Police station, shares tips to avoid getting mugged.

Recently a certain type of vehicle mugging cases are on the rise. They seem to be targeting IT employees specifically.

MODUS OPERANDI

They stop your vehicle on a pretext, saying that you caused an accident.
Before stopping your vehicle, they continuously honk. Till the time you stop your vehicle, they are behind.
With little opportunity, immediately they sit inside your vehicle.
They try to panic you by saying: by accident you have injured a person and compensation has to be paid.
They tell you, you have to pay the amount immediately, as the injured person is the brother of a local Don. If you don’t settle, the amount might be problem and they induce you to pay the money.
They ask you to give the money, by drawing from an ATM.
Usually they target a person driving alone in the vehicle.
They will persuade you to pay the money, they speak Kannada and broken Hindi.
They will take money or gold but not cell phone.
HOW TO PREVENT AND HOW YOU CAN HELP THE POLICE IN NABBING THEM.

If you come across such an incident, be bold, do not panic.
Lock the internal locks of the vehicle. So that they cannot sit inside your vehicle.
If by chance they get into your vehicle, get out immediately - you will be in a public place. Raise your voice and call the people around.
Immediately take their photograph and as well as vehicle number plate with your cell phone.
If they try to threaten you or manhandle you, keep a pepper spray as a defense and use it properly and carefully “if necessary”.
In there are any such cases or even if you suspect any such persons in the locality, please call on the below mentioned cell phone numbers.
If you are bold enough, immediately snatch their bike keys. Take their photographs, call the police, if the public are willing to help, secure them and hand over to police.
If you are smart/tactful enough and can hold them in conversion, inform the police by way of SMS or call and assure that you will pay them and engage them till police reaches you.
You can even tell them that you can arrange money from your friend and take them to place, where you know the people and then try to catch them with the help of known people and hand over them to police.
DON’TS

Do not panic and give away all your valuables.
Remember their operation is a planned one and even they are equally scared but they pretend to be courageous.
Do not lose your temper. Be cool and handle the situation diplomatically.
Don’t take too much risk and don’t risk your life - your safety is more important.
Don’t get down from the vehicle. And don’t allow any stranger to get into your vehicle. If they chase, immediately call the police or reach the traffic police for help. Stop the vehicle where there a lot of people and take their help.
Please be bold. Bangalore is still safe. There is nothing to panic. We are optimistic that we will be able to nab them. A squad comprising of four police personnel is formed to nab these fellows. Please remember our crime constables are now patrolling the same roads in plain clothes and their phone numbers is mentioned below. You can reach them for help either on the officers cell number, Cheetah number or Crime constable number.

We are glad to serve you and we are at your service 24/7 to help the needy and bring the culprits before the court of law. We look forward for your cooperation.

Hey, even I got an Email from my Admin informing us to be aware of this Biker gang.

Places mentioned are

Outer Ring Road like Iblur Circle – Sarjapur road, Bellandur Circle – Yamalur road on Bellandur Tank bed, Sarjapur road – Hosur road via Jail road, Sarjapur road – Hosur road via Haralur

Guys, please be aware, specially ask your female counterparts to be more safe and not stop at all at such instances, not atleast in a lonely place.
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:47   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranjan Sharma View Post

Moment, something good happens to the same bengalooru
When was the last time somthing good happened in Bangalore?
Old 2nd June 2010, 15:48   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys are we sure of that the numbers are genuine? Do not take it in wrong way but I am planning to store these in my cell as unfortunately the areas mentioned are the ones I usually pass through. Hence the question.
Old 2nd June 2010, 16:12   #96
Senior - BHPian

I got the email too from my company's security team so be rest assured that the numbers are not phony.

P.S. Nice to see unknown colleagues from wipro here
Old 2nd June 2010, 16:23   #97
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I am sure that you all would get from your admin because it might have been forwarded to them by someone else they trust and who in turn might have got it forwarded to.

Not sure how one will check with the authencity of the phone number except by calling up the number, but then, will it be a smart move?

PS: Even I had forwarded the content to a couple of friends, bikers and 4 wheelers, regardless of location.
Old 2nd June 2010, 16:42   #98
Senior - BHPian

I think it will be very wise to carry a can of pepper spray along while driving or riding on such roads. Who knows when it can save you. Just ensure the wind is not blowing at your face when you use it (God forbid that anyone actually gets into such a situation).

I was thinking one step further too. Does anyone know where in Blore or even in India one can buy a handheld taser? This would leave the person incapacitated leaving enough time for the cops to arrive and arrest the culprits. I am more inclined to the taser than the pepper spray.

What follows after you tase the $#!t outta the person is best known to everyone. Either the public or the cops will bring them to task.

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd June 2010 at 16:43.
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:31   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Does anyone know where in Blore or even in India one can buy a handheld taser?
Tasers are illegal in india and the law even prohibits the cops in india from using them.

Even the international community is still arguing on whether the tasers should be banned altogether.
Sorry for being
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:53   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
I was thinking one step further too. Does anyone know where in Blore or even in India one can buy a handheld taser?
I had once checked for the same online. As per my knowledge tasers are not available in India. Even outside India is it freely available?
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:59   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Tasers are illegal in india and the law even prohibits the cops in india from using them.

Even the international community is still arguing on whether the tasers should be banned altogether.
Sorry for being
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I had once checked for the same online. As per my knowledge tasers are not available in India. Even outside India is it freely available?
Get a good pepper spray and practice its use somewhere safe first so that nothings new when you have to actually use it. My wife has one. Some brand retails for 499 bucks.

Coming back to the topic. Yeah, even I received an email from my company about the mugging in Bangalore. Is it that serious ? The content is pretty much the same posted here on this thread. Drive safe guys.
Old 2nd June 2010, 18:08   #102
BHPian

Wind that was great info you share. Thanks.
Old 2nd June 2010, 18:29   #103
BHPian

I would like to share an incident when I was travelling to Udaipur from Mumbai by road, last December 2009.

As soon as I entered Udaipur city, one biker along with pillon asks me to stop the vehicle and claims that since it is MH registered vehicle, they need to put a black sticker on the headlight or else I would be fined.

They offer to put the black tape on the headlight during broad daylight around 3pm. When I told that person that I am not interested, they move away. After another 200 metres, again I found two different persons doing the same thing and asking me to stop. This time I ignored them and when I stopped at a traffic junction, they repeated the same thing. This time they went one step further and showed me a cop standing on the other side of the road.

I again told these guys to mind their business. When they persisted and made some gestures towards the cop, I decided I have had enough.

I asked the biker and the pillon to show me their licence and also asked them their names and vehicle registration number.(which I had mentally noted) Thereafter, I told them that I am a lawyer and am going to meet the Police officials in this regard for a case.

The moment I told this, they vanished out of sight. As far as the cop at the traffic signal, he gave a blank look.

I guess since I am aware of the Motor Vehicles Act and the rules framed under, it helped.
Old 2nd June 2010, 19:19   #104
Team-BHP Support

My company also notified us about the ganag.as for Taser's, US law does not allow these to be exported. They are expensive to use as one needs to replace the canister which shoots the probes out during a tassing! also you need to show ID and age proof
Old 2nd June 2010, 21:05   #105
BHPian

Ok guys here is my mugging story.

On 31st May 2010 i was returning from work and at around 7:30PM near HSR layout 2 yamaha RX came and started shouting. MIne is a MH registered vehicle. Suddenly these mugging story came into my mind and i accelerate. Since it was peak hour i could not and they stopped their bike in front of me and started hitting windows. I opened the door and came out fearing they will damage my car.

I asked politely what have i done, they pushed me repeatedly and said i hit one of his friend and he is badly hurt. There were police men around, they came. But these guys scold police men saying they are local people having political connection blah blah. Now police said you have out state vehicle, you will be in trouble if police take your car.

I knew what they are upto, i asked one of these guy what exactly you want. He said he need 10,000 RS for treatment. I told him look i know what you are doing, but still i'll pay you to get out of this sh*t. Lot of conversation and finally they agreed for 2500 RS which i paid them and left.

I still think whatever i did was correct as do not have any other option. They choose out of state car and make them bakra.

BTW i got one of these guys phone number and i'm sure now at least i'll not be cheated/fooled/mugged again in that area, but what about other locality.

This is India, if your day is good it's only because you are lucky that day. The police do not help you, every body wants to mint your money as they think you earn more.

What your say guys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks