Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2011, 15:25   #841
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Aneesh!

How've you been man, long time!

It does sound contradictory. Why I say dial 100 is well, you have nothing to lose at that point, you might as well dial 100 whether or not the cops will come to your rescue. Also, with an aux-port/bluetooth, you can make it very obvious to the muggers that you are dialing the police!
I've been great, dude!

What you're saying makes sense, it's wise to you use anything around you that might potentially help you/scare the bad guys.

Saying it was contradictory was just a poor attempt at pulling your leg!
Old 27th May 2011, 15:37   #842
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
I've been great, dude!

What you're saying makes sense, it's wise to you use anything around you that might potentially help you/scare the bad guys.

Saying it was contradictory was just a poor attempt at pulling your leg!
Indeed

I've been a victim of extortion and it's just another form of mugging. I wasn't prepared for it the last time, but I am now. I'm not going to let such an incident haunt me like the way it did.
Old 31st May 2011, 14:07   #843
BHPian

Posting something which I have not seen personally but came on my twitter feed. This happened yesterday night around 10 PM at Kormangala, Sony World Signal.

I am posting tweets which are self explanatory:

Two BIG ****** at sony world signal at 10 pm yest tryin to open every car door at signal to Rob them. #kormangala #Blore

and

So these guys tried opening my car door, thankfully it was central locked. It was raining heavily! and nobody cared! #Bangalore

Mods: I am sharing from twitter to let all members know about the latest attempt for robbery/mugging.
Old 31st May 2011, 15:26   #844
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm. started reading this thread, and from the third or fourth post, I recalled a word of caution said by my father when I started college.

In Mumbai you can buy a season ticket for travelling by the local trains. The season ticket has to contain your details such as name, signature, age (in case of availing railway concession) and address. With pockets being picked and sometimes negligence/carelessness of the commuter, one may drop or lose his season ticket.

Now the scam operates like this: The scamster gets hold of your season ticket and gets your address from it. Most likely you are in college/office. The scamster reaches your house and informs your family that you have met with an accident and are admitted to a hospital. Now, railway accidents are often grievous/fatal. If the family consists of elderly grandparents, or a single housewife/mom, the poor family member has no choice but to arrange for a big amount of money and go with the scamster. Needless to say the scamster will manage to take that money away at an appropriate time.

Lesson? If at all anyone gives you such news, the first job is to confirm by telephone/mobile if indeed it's true. In case you are unable to get the confirmation or get a positive response, always ALWAYS inform neighbours and relatives and NEVER accompany such people alone. Take one or two neighbours with you.

I think a similar strategy could be adopted in similar scams related to autos.
Old 31st May 2011, 15:30   #845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
Posting something which I have not seen personally but came on my twitter feed. This happened yesterday night around 10 PM at Kormangala, Sony World Signal.

I am posting tweets which are self explanatory:

Two BIG ****** at sony world signal at 10 pm yest tryin to open every car door at signal to Rob them. #kormangala #Blore

and

So these guys tried opening my car door, thankfully it was central locked. It was raining heavily! and nobody cared! #Bangalore

Mods: I am sharing from twitter to let all members know about the latest attempt for robbery/mugging.
can you please copy paste the extract from twitter directly.
Twitter is not accessible here.
Old 31st May 2011, 15:44   #846
Senior - BHPian

Re: Motor cycle gang stikes again?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anToNIcHeN View Post
valuable lession learned. never ever leave any bags in the car even if there lots of people around.
I used to carry my office bag in one of the four locations:

1. In the boot (safest as no one can get to it unless they open the boot door, even breaking glass won't help as the parcel tray will protect the boot contents.
2. On the co-passenger seat with the seatbelt strewn in and around the straps of the bag. No one can pick it up and leave in a hurry.
3. In the footwell of the co-passenger. Extremely difficult to get to it, not very easy even if the door were opened. Plus it's difficult to see if anything is kept there.
4. In the footwell of the rear-passenger (either left or right). Same as #3 above.
honeybee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 19:49   #847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
You aren't ready for anything man. With or without weaponry. Your strongest weapon is your brain. Believe me. I have got into enough brawls to know where the line is crossed from being courageous to being foolish.

Advice: Join some good Krav Maga Classes in Bangalore.

I got trained during my NCC days. Its quite useful to know you are prepared.
Guys, please listen to Spitfire. I have practiced mixed martial arts for many years, and would always try till the last moment to not get into physical confrontation. Certain things once started can have unintended or dangerous consequences. DO NOT get into physical confrontation unless you know that they are going to bodily harm you or your family, and that you have no way of escaping. If so, strike first and strike hard in whatever manner you can. Otherwise, try to defuse the situation, keep calm, hand over some money if you have to, or just run if you can.

Just FYI, I recently read a story of a world champion mixed martial artist from Brazil getting knifed and almost dying. Even if you attend a few classes (or practice for a few years), it is best to apply your knowledge when you know that there is no other way out.

OT: I have also read of a 6 feet 4 inches heavyweight world champion dutch kickboxer rescuing a woman's purse after fighting off two assailants. If you belong to this category, or the woman is really gorgeous, I guess you have a slightly wider range of choices :-)
nilanjanray is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2011, 21:56   #848
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Guys, please listen to Spitfire.
Thanks for reiterating dude. I have myself done some weapons and self defense training.

Each time we were told that you never strike first and don't let the other guy strike first either. Simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
(Spitfire is eager to swing his club).
Hey that was uncalled for!!! No personal attack please.

About pub/disco brawls you guys don't know jack. Before dad got wind of things our second home used to be the major clubs in Goa as security (note: not bouncers there is a huge difference). LOL!!!

Forget clubs that's what kids in Bangalore pubs show off with We had to deal with some unique, costly and state of the art stuff.

I have seen lot of this outsider/insider thing all over. But once it comes to fights it's that saying about barking dogs seldom something.. that's the scene in Bangalore pubs and most pubs around the country. The north it is different. If someone is being too pushy he is carrying weapons and unless you believe you have a bigger one. Don't mess.

The biggest worry as far as Bangalore is concerned is when the official vultures come in to feed on the leftovers. You are then toast.

Mumbai/Goa you are better off. The officials just pick you up and you are in the slammer till its daylight. No questions asked, no answers listened to. In the morning things fall in place and bravado is replaced by meekness and shame.

So chill guys the next time someone in any pub tries to act smart get away from the scene. The low life is plain ugly.

Last edited by Spitfire : 1st June 2011 at 21:59.
Spitfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:12   #849
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod : 10 off-topic posts deleted. Kindly stick to the topic on hand.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:20   #850
Team-BHP Support

All big cities have such a mugging problem.
Upto a couple of years back, there were some murders on Noida roads, where the criminals killed the driver and stole the car. Even house breakin was getting common.
When bad press about noida grew very much, noida police started acting. Today, most colonies have permanent police patrolling the entire night.
Crime has dropped to a large degree due to that. Only some unsafe areas remain, and most of the inner sectors, as well as main roads are crime free now.
I guess if Bangalore police gets into the act of patrolling the trouble spots(Sarjapur road, ORR etc.,) mugging problem in bangalore will go down.
Speaking of Xenophobia, it exists in all cities.
What 'North Indians" face in Bangalore, "East Indians" face in Delhi. Infact their plight is even worse. They cannot get PGs on rent, and find difficulty in finding accomodation.
So, no pioneering development in BLR w.r.t Xenophobia. Most big cities of India where development boon has taken place will have xenophobia.
Its more so in cities which have grown exponentially, swallowing farmlands around the periphery.

All I can say is forget martial arts and all.Your car is your best weapon. Try to get away. Only in hollywood can a shooter take perfect shot with a country made weapon. Moreover, its more of a tactic to scare you.

So make that accelerator pedal your weapon. I have seen fights between cars and bikes. It happens every day on our highways. the car always wins.
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:50   #851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
All I can say is forget martial arts and all.Your car is your best weapon. Try to get away. Only in hollywood can a shooter take perfect shot with a country made weapon. Moreover, its more of a tactic to scare you.

So make that accelerator pedal your weapon. I have seen fights between cars and bikes. It happens every day on our highways. the car always wins.
Bang on target mate and IMHO, that's the best thing to do. I'd rather bang their bikes than stop. Have done so once till now (2008, coupla shady looking guys on a bike tried to stop me on Sec-15A, green belt road) and it somehow felt good. Do note that I'd informed about the incident to the first PCR I saw and surprisingly, the cops were empathizing.
Old 2nd June 2011, 14:51   #852
BHPian

Quote:
What 'North Indians" face in Bangalore, "East Indians" face in Delhi. Infact their plight is even worse. They cannot get PGs on rent, and find difficulty in finding accomodation.
I think you mean north east regions.
Old 2nd June 2011, 19:22   #853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post

Hey that was uncalled for!!! No personal attack please.
Apologies. I was just trying to lighten the mood.

Quote:

I am 200% with this one. I guess I did mention this a long time back.

@Nik: Apols if I have hurt any feelings. Next time you come to Blr, please PM me and I will surely help you out.
Old 6th July 2011, 14:17   #854
BHPian

This happend to my cousin today afternoon on busy J.C.Road around 12.15pm. my cousin stopped at the signal and the count was at 114 and he decided to turn off the engine and wait, when he was about to turn off the engine he notice 3 men comming close the car and next thing, they started banging the car boot and tried to get into the car, he gunned the engine and one guy tried to get into the rear seat shouting and abusing him to stop and other 2 can join him. Ignoring him, my cousin floored the throttle and raced ahead swinging the car left and right till the guy lost his hold and fell down on the road.

This happned in front of everyone and no one reacted to it. Please be careful when you stop at the signal waiting for the lights to turn green.

Looks like the muggers have moved into the heart of the city now from the outer ring road :(

-Sajan
Old 6th July 2011, 14:35   #855
Distinguished - BHPian

Scary.

Looks like your cousin was very very lucky in terms of traffic also. Since he had stopped at a signal, and during noon traffic, there would have been enough traffic coming from other sides. Your cousin has been able to get a chance to get through even that traffic.

And importantly, he was alert even as it began to happen.

Was he playing music at a loud volume ? may be with a sub-woofer ?

It is very natural for one to switch off at signal like that. And this kind of an incident was not expected at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks