Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2011, 14:36   #856
BHPian

Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Looks like the muggers have moved into the heart of the city now from the outer ring road :(

-Sajan
I think it is important that Police are informed about such incidents. Atleast in city, there are cameras at traffic junctions, and if police really want to investigate, they have proof.
Also, recently read a news that Police have increased surveillance in ORR, (I remember seeing a picture of ORR from top of a building with a police man on top of it). On an optimistic note, I feel that even though we think that what we report may go unnoticed, they keep track of these things and take actions.
All unreported incident may add more courage to the offenders since Police are not even aware of these things.
Old 6th July 2011, 14:48   #857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like the muggers have moved into the heart of the city now from the outer ring road :(
-Sajan
Very scary incident there and it is great that your cousin was alert enough to get out of there as soon as he could.
IIRC, there was one case a few months ago where a 'techie' was kidnapped in a similar way for a few days and all his bank accounts were emptied using his ATM cards. Not sure if it is the same case or another one, but a kidnapped 'techie' was found by cops in the rear of a car stopped near Safina Plaza/ Commercial street.

In today's situation, it is best to ensure that our doors are locked centrally and all windows are fully closed. Also, I never open the window or encourage the beggars/ sellers at various traffic signals.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 15:05   #858
BHPian

Quote:
....., he gunned the engine and one guy tried to get into the rear seat shouting and abusing him to stop and other 2 can join him. Ignoring him, my cousin floored the throttle and raced ahead swinging the car left and right till the guy lost his hold and fell down on the road.

This happned in front of everyone and no one reacted to it. Please be careful when you stop at the signal waiting for the lights to turn green.
-Sajan
This is scary to say the least.

I have one question though, what are the chances that this thug, could file a case that the driver of this car dragged him on public road, after weaving story around it? That thought makes it even more scary!! Since the public would have mostly noticed the car than the commotion created by the 3.

Regards
Raghu
Old 6th July 2011, 15:09   #859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
This is scary to say the least.

I have one question though, what are the chances that this thug, could file a case that the driver of this car dragged him on public road, after weaving story around it? That thought makes it even more scary!! Since the public would have mostly noticed the car than the commotion created by the 3.

Regards
Raghu
Exactly my thought. It may be turned into a hit and run.. or they may even claim he banged on him when he was crossing.. etc.

Oh man, this is scary

Somehow the rich - poor gap should decrease. Worst, it should stop and not increase!
Old 6th July 2011, 15:31   #860
BHPian

I was thinking that the mugging menace has died a silent death.And now this new reporting with an altogether day light bold attempt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Somehow the rich - poor gap should decrease. Worst, it should stop and not increase!
I don't think it has to do with the rich poor gap.
Its to do with the meekness of the middle class and the lack of aggressiveness by the police in taking these thugs to task.

Ever seen or heard of a local MLA's merc being flagged down and robbed in this fashion.Never.

To survive in this country with self respect either you should have lots of influence or you should have "I give a damn" attitude like come whatever and you are ready to face it.I have seen a few people who don't have money or influence, but they are not scared of any thugs or anything.
And not to mention they are married with family and are not locals to this place.

As Mark twain once said:It's Not the Size of the Dog in the Fight; It's the Size of the Fight in the Dog
Old 6th July 2011, 16:30   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Scary.

Looks like your cousin was very very lucky in terms of traffic also. Since he had stopped at a signal, and during noon traffic, there would have been enough traffic coming from other sides. Your cousin has been able to get a chance to get through even that traffic.

And importantly, he was alert even as it began to happen.

Was he playing music at a loud volume ? may be with a sub-woofer ?

It is very natural for one to switch off at signal like that. And this kind of an incident was not expected at all.
Hi Condor,

Nope he was not palying any music at all and worst was nobody reacted back nor made a effort to raise an alarm.

-sajan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
I think it is important that Police are informed about such incidents. Atleast in city, there are cameras at traffic junctions, and if police really want to investigate, they have proof.
Also, recently read a news that Police have increased surveillance in ORR, (I remember seeing a picture of ORR from top of a building with a police man on top of it). On an optimistic note, I feel that even though we think that what we report may go unnoticed, they keep track of these things and take actions.
All unreported incident may add more courage to the offenders since Police are not even aware of these things.
Hi sriturl,

I have posted the same on the Bangalore Traffic Police page in FaceBook. sad part that my cousin said was there were no cops around at that time.

-Sajan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Exactly my thought. It may be turned into a hit and run.. or they may even claim he banged on him when he was crossing.. etc.

Oh man, this is scary

Mjothi/raghu t.k,

I share the same thought, thats ok compared to what in case they had managed to get into the car and things had got worst than just emptying his pockets and atm account. He is stil shaken from the incident and has reported to the nearby police patrol that he later found.

I have posted the same on Facebook, Bangalore Traffic Police as well.

-Sajan

Last edited by mobike008 : 6th July 2011 at 16:49. Reason: Back to back posts. Repeat will invite infraction
Old 6th July 2011, 17:05   #862
BHPian

Quite scary. In which signal was your cousin waiting? The JC road main signal (towards Urvashi) or the Minerva signal?
Most saturdays, I am there at JC road scooting around for stuff. Everytime, I park the car in that multi-level paid car parking, I cannot help, but think, what if my car isn't there by the time I come back. There are quite some shady characters who loiter around there.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 17:07   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Quite scary. In which signal was your cousin waiting? The JC road main signal (towards Urvashi) or the Minerva signal?
Most saturdays, I am there at JC road scooting around for stuff. Everytime, I park the car in that multi-level paid car parking, I cannot help, but think, what if my car isn't there by the time I come back. There are quite some shady characters who loiter around there.
Hi Jeeva,

He was on the main signal towards urvashi.

-sajan
Old 6th July 2011, 17:18   #864
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This happend to my cousin today afternoon on busy J.C.Road around 12.15pm. my cousin stopped at the signal and the count was at 114 and he decided to turn off the engine and wait, when he was about to turn off the engine he notice 3 men comming close the car and next thing, they started banging the car boot and tried to get into the car, he gunned the engine and one guy tried to get into the rear seat shouting and abusing him to stop and other 2 can join him. Ignoring him, my cousin floored the throttle and raced ahead swinging the car left and right till the guy lost his hold and fell down on the road.

This happned in front of everyone and no one reacted to it. Please be careful when you stop at the signal waiting for the lights to turn green.

-Sajan
This is scary.

What's even more frightening is that I generally take that route back home and to work from college and pass JC Road at approximately 1 pm.

Looks like it's time to invest in a pepper-spray can and a baseball-bat.

Any more details on the incident, Sajan?
Old 6th July 2011, 17:33   #865
BHPian

Sajan, that is a real scary incident.
Hope there would had been a quite a number of cars in the signal, But any reason why your cousin's car was particularly targeted?

any hard words or gestures shared between your cousin and the morons when overtaking or something else before they try to mugg?

I wonder how people are so dare to mugg in a broad day light, and that too in on of the busiest streets of the city without knowing whats in and who is in car.

Last edited by BulZire : 6th July 2011 at 17:39.
Old 6th July 2011, 18:31   #866
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This happend to my cousin today afternoon on busy J.C.Road around 12.15pm. my cousin stopped at the signal and the count was at 114 and he decided to turn off the engine and wait, when he was about to turn off the engine he notice 3 men comming close the car and next thing, they started banging the car boot and tried to get into the car, he gunned the engine and one guy tried to get into the rear seat shouting and abusing him to stop and other 2 can join him. Ignoring him, my cousin floored the throttle and raced ahead swinging the car left and right till the guy lost his hold and fell down on the road.

-Sajan
Scary is not the word, petrified ! I had previously heard about few incidents involving beggars/transgenders etc getting into the car and threatening for money but this one seems straight out a movie ! Also, in broad daylight if these people can do this, I can only imagine what they'd do in the evenings/night.
I think it's safer to keep the engine running, doors locked and all windows rolled up at signals.
Old 6th July 2011, 18:34   #867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Sajan, that is a real scary incident.
Hope there would had been a quite a number of cars in the signal, But any reason why your cousin's car was particularly targeted?

any hard words or gestures shared between your cousin and the morons when overtaking or something else before they try to mugg?

I wonder how people are so dare to mugg in a broad day light, and that too in on of the busiest streets of the city without knowing whats in and who is in car.
BulZire/suhaas307,

My cousin is bit shaken up by this. I dont think there was any reason for trageting his car nor was he attracting any attention by playing loud music or anything else. He told me that, All he asked them as he floored the throttle was who are you guys and what do you want and they kept shouting at him to handover everything he had or they would stab him from the back. He kept his cool and decided to swire the car left and right so that they would loose balance and fall off, to his luck the guy trying to get into the rear door lost control and my cousin did not stop and continued to drive on for a km or so and then stopped and shut the rear door and contacted the police partol that he spotted on the incident.

-Sajan
Old 6th July 2011, 21:35   #868
BHPian

That indeed was scary incident.

Around 2 years back, I lost my mobile, which was kept in the cup holder of my WagonR, when I turned back left to warn a kid who stared banging the rear left door (he hit the bumper purposefully, while I was coming to a halt at the signal). I actually realised the mobile missing after reaching home, and that's the only place I stopped for a while and somebody around, on my way back home from office.
Lesson learnt and I never keep any of the windows more than half way down.
Old 7th July 2011, 09:48   #869
BHPian

Apart from police help and offensive tactics, I feel there should be some way to protect ourselves/ not being targetted.

1.An ideal situation would be when there is some kind of show of strength by the public - If there are even two or three incidents in which people nearby came for help, then it would send a strong signal to the miscreants.

2.Is it difficult to identify a pattern in such incidents? When Bhpians report such incidents, it would be great if some details like the type of vehicle targetted, number of passengers, the area, the modus operandi, time and some other details which might trivial are posted.

3.Am not sure if the media is kept abreast of each and every incident. If the media raises a hue and cry, it could probably stir the otherwise passive police into action.

4.What about trying/ or atleast pretending to take pics of the miscreants. I know in the heat of the moment, one might not be composed enough to think of taking pics. But I just felt, it could prove to be a deterrent.

cheers
Old 7th July 2011, 09:53   #870
Senior - BHPian

I recently read another incident in which somebody lost his bag with some 3+ lacs cash from the passenger seat. He had apparently withdrew that money from one bank and had gone to another bank to draw more money! I never understood why in spite of so many such incidents people still are are so stupid to keep bags containing cash in public sight on the seat! Same with people leaving jewellery and expensive mobile phones on the dashboard...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks