Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:51   #901
BHPian

Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshetty View Post
That such issues exist everywhere and stop ranting about any city or place or people, since it will upset many and this 'Xenophobia' is only going to be compounded. People are going to read comments such as yours and going to form unwanted opinions
I did not understand your resistance here man. We the honest taxpaying citizens of this city find that these day time robberies are a menace and need to be handled, hence we talk about it. We report incidents that we come to know off and discuss on ways we could have handled situation better. Not talking about them and not letting "outsiders" know the real picture about our city will certainly not help combat these issues. And any opinions that people will form about the law and order situation of the city, will probably not be very different from the ground reality.

Personally, I feel that I have greatly benefited from this thread. Over the last few months I have sent the link to this thread to many of my friends. And none of them came back saying they are now scared to got out of there houses. Worst case, if they do fall pray to such a situation they know they are not the only one.

Regards,
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:15   #902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I am feeling like the light brother. Seriously.

I have been to the HAL Airport Police Station so many times that the guys out there greet me now. And none of the times for my issues. I am an activist like someone called me somewhere.

I have gone to sign as witness for accidents against the party that was clearly at fault. Have got threats and what not.

So what I say is a deep rooted sense of what is wrong with this place. Only good thing being if I was in any other city more notorious then this one. I could have been in a grave by now.
Thanks for stating this fact, frankly, nice to know there are so many more Anna Hazare even electronic versions amongst us and setting an example daily.

But, you seem to handle these situations well, do you think it may be a good idea to share it ?
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:40   #903
BHPian

I do not find muggers doing anything different here. When politicians of state (like elsewhere in the country) are looting the state with crores and what not, it is not wise to blame only muggers for the same who do their business by looting thousands. We need to demand for better administration through our right to vote and only then state infra and security problems will be resolved along with these mugging issues. Remember politicians and police have a father-son relation and what father does is in toto learned and done by son . As of now best bet is make as much nose and carry pepper spray along. Also ensure that you car pool to prevent you being targeted as lone victim. As most victims are from IT companies, we can work with our companies to pressurize them to increase its common transport fleets as well.

Last edited by Anandg : 3rd August 2011 at 12:43.
Anandg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 13:43   #904
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshetty View Post
Thanks for stating this fact, frankly, nice to know there are so many more Anna Hazare even electronic versions amongst us and setting an example daily.
Ouch!! below the belt. Not game.

Quote:
But, you seem to handle these situations well, do you think it may be a good idea to share it ?
I have no clue to handle such situations. Each situation is a new one. With an underlying fact that the most important thing in your life is your "life". Get away as fast as you can.

I keep honest to the fact I see. Simple.

Two parties fight. The one in wrong is mostly more vocal and threatening - my experience. I take the side of the right guy. It mostly diffuses the situation or it gets worse. Police gets involved. They ask me to sign on the panchanama with name and contact details. I am in the mess then.

Have been advised from my watchman to my grand uncles to not fall in this. I do not seem to learn though.

If interested I have been called to Varthur Police Station on Thursday next. Want to join? You will get a first hand experience of this democratic circus of a city.
Spitfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:12   #905
BHPian

Quote:
I am feeling like the light brother. Seriously.

I have been to the HAL Airport Police Station so many times that the guys out there greet me now. And none of the times for my issues. I am an activist like someone called me somewhere.

I have gone to sign as witness for accidents against the party that was clearly at fault. Have got threats and what not.

So what I say is a deep rooted sense of what is wrong with this place. Only good thing being if I was in any other city more notorious then this one. I could have been in a grave by now.
Quote:
Ouch!! below the belt. Not game.

I have no clue to handle such situations. Each situation is a new one. With an underlying fact that the most important thing in your life is your "life". Get away as fast as you can.

I keep honest to the fact I see. Simple.

Two parties fight. The one in wrong is mostly more vocal and threatening - my experience. I take the side of the right guy. It mostly diffuses the situation or it gets worse. Police gets involved. They ask me to sign on the panchanama with name and contact details. I am in the mess then.

Have been advised from my watchman to my grand uncles to not fall in this. I do not seem to learn though.

If interested I have been called to Varthur Police Station on Thursday next. Want to join? You will get a first hand experience of this democratic circus of a city.
Nope brother please go ahead, I have my geography test in school on that day and I have to sharpen my pencils. Though wishing the best for you. Please stay at it, keep knocking them crooks off one a day.

Coming back to the topic on hand, I found this old article which may be of help :

There are a few Telephone numbers mentioned there, Will keep the forum updated if they are still functional.

Citizen Matters, Bangalore: Cops advice on how to avoid getting mugged
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:01   #906
BHPian

I have been following this thread for quite sometime now. This thread is definitely a good read for those new to the city. And I have to say I agree with Spitfire completely, not because of what has been said nor is it because I have something against the people of this city, but from quite a few first-hand experiences and after having witnessed the same. I have friends who are from Bangalore, but my belief does not go so far as to categorize them as bad people. When in need of help, I know I can call on them.

What I can tell you is that from the experiences I have had, I have come to consider myself an outsider to this city and fear for the safety of my family and myself, even in a situation where I have not made a mistake. And this is not just with regard to the practice on the road, but in any other imaginable situation as well. Let an experience prove my belief wrong, atleast once and I will change my belief as well.

Fact is that Xenophobia exists, here in Bangalore and perhaps in all major cities. Not talking about it or not reporting it on this forum or through any media does not make it go away. If somebody reads this thread and feels that the city as a whole is DANGEROUS, then he/she has only failed to understand the purpose behind it. The thread is meant to be a collective of experiences and helpful inputs to deal with ugly situations that anyone, be it an outsider or a local resident may have to face.

P.S : Muggers/Bullies dont care whether you are a Bangalorean or an outsider.

Last edited by Xryder : 3rd August 2011 at 15:03.
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:42   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post

You spoke my mind brother! For muggers, all that matters is the person in the car is rich and alone and can be taken advantage of! Yes I don't deny that the ability to speak the local language is an advantage in these situations. But mind you, these guys are not going to back off once they realize you can speak kannada!

The sick thought process that runs around here is "Agar Gora hai to North Indian hai!"

PS: No offense to anybody and I am not trying to be a racist here!
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:10   #908
BANNED

Quote:
On the contrary they do. There are events mentioned here.
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:18   #909
BHPian

Quote:
If you are referring to incidents where they target vehicles that are not KA - registered, then yes you are right. Supposing the person in that vehicle was a local resident and spoke the local tongue fluently, wont they still do what they originally intended to ? How does it make any difference to the muggers ?
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:33   #910
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just curious, are there any statistics around these mugging incidents – like what time these incidents happen, or any specific makes/types of cars targeted etc.? From the forum, the impacted population mainly looks like Information Tech. folks, but do the muggers really go by the trade? Thanks.

Spitfire: Quoted you, because you came across as someone who take an active interest in curbing these practices.
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:43   #911
BANNED

Quote:
If you are referring to incidents where they target vehicles that are not KA - registered, then yes you are right.
They have no way to make that out do they? But an outside registered vehicle 99% of the time will have an outsider. Simple commonsense.

And they wont attack local registered vehicles unless its a techie.

And yes once they are in the act they will go ahead with it. Local or not.

Also they use kannada numberplates on the vehicle used in the crime. That is another pointer that they are targeting outsiders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Just curious, are there any statistics around these mugging incidents – like what time these incidents happen, or any specific makes/types of cars targeted etc.?
What ever figures are available through registered cases would not be even 10% of the actual figure.

Are you aware in the hub of these mugging along ORR. The police used to not entertain any complaints on this until it affected some important people and all hell broke lose and numbers of constables floated about. The muggers lay low for a while and are back again.

Quote:
Spitfire
Quote:
: Quoted you, because you came across as someone who take an active interest in curbing these practices.
I tried but these things are not something an average Joe can handle for ever. Especially with spineless, coward Joe's around.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 17:18   #912
BHPian

Quote:
They have no way to make that out do they? But an outside registered vehicle 99% of the time will have an outsider. Simple commonsense.
True, but what I am trying to point out is, there are cases of locally registered vehicles being mugged, especially IT folk, like you mentioned. I still feel that if an actual figure for such cases were available, it would probably consist of both KA and non-KA registered vehicles, equally distributed since the majority of the attacks are on the IT folk.

This discussion reminds me of an incident.It was regarding a senior colleague in my office who had an attempt on him while traveling back home late from work. He is a local resident, but originally hails from Belgaum. This took place about 4 months back, just a month after he had joined our organization. From what he says, he could not really remember anything.The duo on the bike sped past him waving at him and slowed down in front of his car to the left. He braked hard. Pillion rider walks over and looks at him through the half open window. Spits at him and punches him on the face. Tries to grab the keys from the ignition. By this time, the rider comes to the left side and tries to open the door, luckily it was still locked. My colleague shoves the hand grabbing for the keys, literally stands up on the accelerator and while pulling out, he hits the bike parked to the left in front of his car. He then somehow managed to reach his apartment complex, calls his neighbour and our office administrator, who happened to stay nearby. Then all three of them goes to the nearest police station to report it. Cops take down the little details he could recollect, then in a cool tone he says "Month end/beginning guru. You are a software engineer right ? Salary time. It is credited in your account right ?"

The simple statement the cop made, answers everything - IT folk,mostly night time, month end/start when salary is credited.

Quote:
Also they use kannada number plates on the vehicle used in the crime. That is another pointer that they are targeting outsiders.
This is a scary thing, to not be able to note down the number plate. I only wish BTP enforced the law a little more strictly to ban these kind of number plates.

Quote:
I tried but these things are not something an average Joe can handle for ever. Especially with spineless, coward Joe's around.
I truly admire your resolve, guts and persistence; but are you not scared that some day one of them may get back at you or harm you in some way?
Old 3rd August 2011, 17:34   #913
BANNED

Quote:
equally distributed since the majority of the attacks are on the IT folk.
Majority of the IT folks are outsiders - kannada or non-kannada. A Belgaum guy is as lost in this city as I am.

Quote:
This is a scary thing, to not be able to note down the number plate.
I had some hope with the Facebbok page. But with the corruption prevalent. Even hope does not have a chance.

Quote:
I truly admire your resolve, guts and persistence; but are you not scared that some day one of them may get back at you or harm you in some way?
Honestly. I am sweating in my pants when I take on such people. I was trembling on a lot of occasions. But the adrenaline rush is so strong that it makes me see beyond the safety of myself and I end up being a part of it.

Yes I am scared. Really really scared. And with a family I am holding back big on my activism.

Like I said before in another post. If it was any of the other notorious cities I could have been long gone.
Old 4th August 2011, 20:44   #914
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Are you aware in the hub of these mugging along ORR. The police used to not entertain any complaints on this until it affected some important people and all hell broke lose and numbers of constables floated about. The muggers lay low for a while and are back again.
Last year when I was in India, we did drive from Kerala to Bangalore, as I thought driving around will be easy for the one week’s stay. And my wife’s mom stay somewhere in the outskirts (Around Hennur cross I guess – not sure if I got the place name correct). One of the nights while returning home, police stopped us, and asked my name. As soon as they saw my family in the car, the guys smiled, said he is sorry for stopping us, and let us go. Maybe they were on the lookout for potential mugging cases. Not sure if that area is a part of ORR.
Old 4th August 2011, 22:02   #915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post

The sick thought process that runs around here is "Agar Gora hai to North Indian hai!"
LOL! Standing example man! Born and brought up in Bangalore! The other day when I tried to hire a rick, " Double hoga sahib"

I speak in Kannada and tell him that I am a localite.

He grins back, "Oh, you look like one of those from the north"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks