Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2012, 11:58   #1036
BHPian

Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
Still,
Yes, all doors automatically unlock when I switch off the engine, which is a deterrent either in Mugguluru or Guntha-Pune

More than being sarcastic about any particular place, some safety precautions have to be taken most of the time - I guess more on highways than within cities.
Hmmm, so I was successful in maintaining this thread for some time. Soon, mod-s will ban me.

No, my Cruze does not unlock when I switch off the engine (push-button). Since the keyfob is in my pocket, at some position (inside the pocket :( ) if the ''open boot' button gets pressed due to my hand, boot opens. All the time, it happened when I was stuck in signals/ traffic- more worrying since a crook can peep in and run away with anything he finds interesting!

I did not dare to test by pushing the button when I am on the move.

Last edited by mobike008 : 25th April 2012 at 13:02. Reason: Please STICK to 2 smileys per post.
Old 25th April 2012, 16:55   #1037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
I do hope the locks unlock automatically when the engine dies out even when you do not turn off with the key. This will be useful in case of an accident. If that is the case then its a very useful feature.

I have specifically stopped turning of my car nowadays even at long signal junctions due to the fact that the doors get unlocked
The doors unlock when the key is removed from the key hole, so yes its a useful feature to have. It again locks once the car is in motion i think around 5kph. My earlier zen which had a aftermarket central locking, the doors used to unlock when ignition was turned off.
Old 26th April 2012, 09:21   #1038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
The doors unlock when the key is removed from the key hole, so yes its a useful feature to have. It again locks once the car is in motion i think around 5kph. My earlier zen which had a aftermarket central locking, the doors used to unlock when ignition was turned off.
Usually, the aftermarket ones and usual Autocop, the doors will be unlocked once the ignition is switched off - thats how it is in my car (Autocop XS) as well.

I do have to switch it off at sony world signal during the rush hours and on IRR on my return. However, I have a habit of turning the ignition ON immediately after switching off the engine so it will lock the doors again.
Old 28th April 2012, 13:38   #1039
BANNED

Friends,

This happened to me on last Thursday,don’t know wether this a mugging attempt or not.

I was driving my scorpio (windshield closed) on road between gangama circle (nr Jalahali) towards mathikere circle, was on my mobile right from Tumkur road hiway junction which joins thru ayappa temple.

It was @ 8pm, one above average built and @ 40year old man in a scooter with a police helmet came on my right and was trying to talk to me on move when i reached near a small junction raod which leads to vidhyaranpura near SBI .I was quiet cautious , still lowered the window seeing a white helmet(similar to cops) and I was on phone.

He enquired me wether I need a RAYBAN.I just powered the window and drove away.I just wonder , is he realy trying to stop a scorpio in rain that too in dark to sell a Rayban glass?

So friends even if some body tries to bother you wearing a white helmet resembling cops and in plain clothes, dont stop or bother.

Last edited by Rajith : 28th April 2012 at 13:42.
Rajith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2012, 18:23   #1040
BHPian

Hi Rajith,

I too faced a similar incident more than a year ago, and the description of the man matches yours. A man in his late 30s or early 40s on a scooter approached me at Corporation signal when i was on my way back from college asking me if i wanted to buy original Ray ban sunglasses. This happened in broad daylight, at around 12:30 p.m. I told him no, but he was quite persistent. At the end i was forced to roll the windows up and drive away.
Old 29th April 2012, 13:41   #1041
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
So friends even if some body tries to bother you wearing a white helmet resembling cops and in plain clothes, dont stop or bother.
May sound rude, but, as a policy, I wouldn't stop even if someone falls dead on the road (unless - God forbid - I cause that)

BTW, dude, were talking in your cell phone while driving ?
Old 23rd May 2012, 08:25   #1042
BHPian

Mugging Attempt -
Last night when I was returning home from E-city phase-I to E-city phase-II at 10:50pm, via circular overbridge on Hosur road over BETL, just after coming down and very near to the Phase II exit of BETL, one pulser with 2 on board, took a sudden turn from extreme left to extreme right infront of my car(I was on extreme right as I used to take U turn after BETL exit), I was driving at 30kmph due to crossing ahead. They planned to stop my car by getting infront of it, but when I did not stop they tried to throw their hand on my windseild and lost their balance and rammed into left side of my car, broke my left hand side ORVM, scratched and dented both left doors, I was shocked and stopped after about 20 mtrs, they fell down but took their bike again and tried to come towards my car, I pressed hard and drove as fast as possible and took the road which goes to wards TCS office, tried to stop few cabs but no one stopped so drove straight to my apartment. I was using this road for last 5 years and now after this little disturbed. I could not take the number of the pulser as the area was not well lit. This area comes under Hosa road police station, and I really have no hope that they will take any complain or action. I informed my office logistics head last night, and visited the sport arround 11:30pm with some friends in a different car, just to see any trace(or if it was an accident which I am 100% confident was not the case) but the ELCIA night patrol present at a distance from that spot said nothing reported to them from any one. What should I do?
Old 23rd May 2012, 08:35   #1043
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Mugging Attempt -
ELCIA night patrol present at a distance from that spot said nothing reported to them from any one. What should I do?
Guess would be better if you keep ELCIA patrol and also the Hoysala police vehicle in the locality informed. Lodging a formal complaint would have been better, however since your vehicle had contact with the bike I guess it would not be best option since they can treat it as an accident case. Informing informally will help other road users provided police becomes more viginlant.

Previous cases of mugging also was on Pulsar.
Old 23rd May 2012, 08:57   #1044
BHPian

@asdon - the best way, if you can, to reduce the chances of being mugged is to car pool. For your safety, keep a few friends and family members' number in speed dial of your cell and let them know once you take off from office. In case you smell things would go wrong dial the best contact and tell them the exact location. Be safe; in my opinion, in almost all parts of India citizens are left to fend for themselves.
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:11   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvcars View Post
@asdon - the best way, if you can, to reduce the chances of being mugged is to car pool. For your safety, keep a few friends and family members' number in speed dial of your cell and let them know once you take off from office. In case you smell things would go wrong dial the best contact and tell them the exact location. Be safe; in my opinion, in almost all parts of India citizens are left to fend for themselves.
Thanks, but car pool is not an option in my case, I stay only 6 km from my office, on the opposite direction, and due to timings I have to drive alone. But I am changing my route from today, instead of taking the bridge, I will go to E-City phase-I gate and take Hosur main road, no service road anymore.
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:20   #1046
BHPian

Pathetic state of affairs in this country. Pretty scary to think of how this place is going to be in another 10 years.
And now, the ban on sun-films will be best exploited by these low-lifes.

Last edited by jeeva : 23rd May 2012 at 09:21.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 09:43   #1047
Senior - BHPian

Wow. Thats pretty close Adson. You did the right thing by not stopping. Makes us think how safe is Bangalore. Saw these two incidents:

1. Reported by a reader on BTP's facebook page of an incident of mugging in an auto at Kagadasspura at about 20.30 hours around 19th May 2012. They forced him to share his PIN and they went to the ATM and withdrew cash as well.

2. A techie with HP found dead in his Polo with duct tape all around him. This was reported today in TOI and happened around Mahadevpura. Gruesome and chilling!!!
Link from NDTV:

Bangalore techie found dead in car, seatbelt fastened
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:25   #1048
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
2. A techie with HP found dead in his Polo with duct tape all around him. This was reported today in TOI and happened around Mahadevpura. Gruesome and chilling!!!
after going through the news in this morning's TOI, i don't think this incident has anything to do with the muggins going on in Bangalore. this looks more like a premeditated murder by a person known to the victim. motive doesn't seem to be looting.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 10:51   #1049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Mugging Attempt -
Asdon, go to the police station and submit a complaint and the turn of events in writing. That way, if the bike riders do go to the cops with a hit and run case you have some reason to prove your innocence.

Always carry a can of pepper spray in the car for your own safety and keep it within reach. Its available at almost all Health & Glow outlets. Just ensure the wind isn't blowing towards your face when you use it... of course, i hope you never get to use that pepper spray.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:16   #1050
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Pathetic state of affairs in this country. Pretty scary to think of how this place is going to be in another 10 years.
And now, the ban on sun-films will be best exploited by these low-lifes.
Sunfilms are uselful in preventing oneself from appearing as a sitting duck for such attacks - in this case the element of surprise was always on our side. Now without sunfilms, such attackers will be able to plan their prey better. This was the same concern which i had raised on the other thread as well, but then the consensus was that these are rare happenings.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks