Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2012, 11:38   #1111
BHPian

Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
It is not a question of what kind of cars are targeted, most of victims are Locals few outsiders, but target can be anyone on the streets.
Also its not specific to cars. Cyclists/Pedestrians are also mugged. I think more frequently. We must try to be as vigilant as possible.
Old 30th August 2012, 12:17   #1112
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to this thread, I went ahead and ordered 1 pepper spray regular and one with a keychain. Will keep one in my car and give one to my wife. Lots of chain snatching and mugging going around, it pays to be forearmed. Hope I don't get to use this though..
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 13:28   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
Keeping Hockey stick, baseball bat, snooker pool cue can be helpful, but with these weapons, comes a greater responsibility too. With the tool in hand and mind in furious state, you have all chances of loosing grip/control over your mind and you might land a blow on the head or other sensitive areas of human being, which might also cause death at times.

Hence, be responsible with such weapons at ur disposal
Purely for self defense. I don't lose my cool easily. I am the opposite. I run away from confrontations.
Old 30th August 2012, 13:38   #1114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
So before we get ahead ourselves, let's remember to stop and collect our thoughts lest we do something hasty and put our lives on the line.
I would just like to refer to an earlier statement of mine: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post2209692
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 18:42   #1115
BHPian

Quote:
With the tool in hand and mind in furious state, you have all chances of loosing grip/control over your mind and you might land a blow on the head or other sensitive areas of human being, which might also cause death at times.
Or,

You may end up handing over the tool to the muggers and give them more tools to mug you

People who have never been into fist fights, please stay away from keeping stuffs in your cars. Ignore and move away, if you are healthy and productive, you can earn the loss of money.

Accept the fact that you got mugged since you were incapable of protecting yourselves from being mugged. Move on!
Googleman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 17:26   #1116
Senior - BHPian

Friends!! Among all other means discussed to tackle muggers, we have ignored the biggest weapon in our arsnel, our own cars.
Most of the muggers are either foot borne or travel on bikes. We must use our cars as weapons and run over these goons. At max what will happen? We can drive to the nearest police station and register a hit and run, or may be even attempted assault and self defense. And if enough people decide to kill muggers using their cars, this menace will stop!
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 17:34   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
And if enough people decide to kill muggers using their cars, this menace will stop!
I'm sorry, but this is really stupid advice. Doing this will only land you behind bars and will not achieve anything.
vikram_d is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th September 2012, 12:14   #1118
Senior - BHPian

The best way i see is to use martial arts (those who are trained) or else to keep "Pepper spray", which is anyway legal in india. Pepper spray is now-a-days commonly available in most places.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 12:21   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Friends!! Among all other means discussed to tackle muggers, we have ignored the biggest weapon in our arsnel, our own cars.
Most of the muggers are either foot borne or travel on bikes. We must use our cars as weapons and run over these goons. At max what will happen? We can drive to the nearest police station and register a hit and run, or may be even attempted assault and self defense. And if enough people decide to kill muggers using their cars, this menace will stop!
Not a good idea to kill them but yes, if get a chance hit them out of the way and drive away, we can always spare some unused BHPs for this.
Old 10th September 2012, 12:29   #1120
BHPian

I am in Bangalore for few days and yesterday had to attend a colleague's wedding reception at Chennai, so I drove down and back and was driving to sister's flat at 2:30 am, from Nice road to Banerghatta road junction and from there to Diary circle direction since my sister stays at Vijaya Bank layout at Arekere. From Arekere junction a bike was following me all the way till I stopped at my sister's flat. They came over and parked their bike near my door. For a moment I was doubtful. But then realised it was 2 cops doing their night rounds and was following me all the way since it was a non-KA registered car and at an odd time of the night. I lowered the glass and said in bad hindi that I stay there. They gave me a nonchalant nod and rode off.

P.S: I feel a GPS navigator/phone is really necessary for outsiders who want to move around at odd times. Bangalore is a maze, at least that's what I feel.
Old 10th September 2012, 21:14   #1121
BHPian

This incident was e-mailed to me by a friend, just thought that it would benefit fellow Bhpians;

This incident took place between 8 to 9 in HSR 2nd sector. Near the Lake. Near Mahaveer apartments. This is the road between Somaundarapalya & Parangipalya.

There is some construction on that road thereby no street lights, and hardly any people on that road. This Individual took that road because he wanted to change his car tyre which was punctured.

When he was on his way. One auto-rickshaw came with some people inside and was showing him something on the car, as if to say that his tyre was punctured. Usually people would stop the car, but his instinct told him not to because there were no light and no people around.[Thanks to people who have reported such incidents which made him think like that]

He drove and reached a road where some traffic and got stuck in traffic. So this auto-rickshaw chap chased him & stopped infront of his car. One person came near the driving seat, so he opened the window a little bit to ask him what happened.

The person hit the driver on the face suddenly. Then one person came and sat in the back seat and told him to drive. The driver shouted and asked for help. Nobody came. People were all looking but no one came.

Then he immediately came out of the car, stood in the middle of the road and shouted that ”I haven’t done anything to the auto, they are thieves, I am innocent etc” in Kannada. Traffic started building up and then those people realized that he knows Kannada..they told him to leave & silently left the place.

They tried to create a scene, like he hit the auto and they came to catch him. The car was not Karnataka registration. This was reported to police and they have agreed for police patrol during night in that area. Also they gave contacts to report if those people are seen somewhere.

Few thing I appreciate him for are below:

1. He decided not to stop in the lonely road.
2. He did not beat them back or react to their hit.
3. Jumped out of car and stood in the middle of the road and shouted that he didn’t do anything.
4. He knew the local language.

Few things we should do in such situations:

1. Never stop the car in lonely roads
2. Understand the situation and react
3. Leave everything and try to go to a safer place rather than worrying about car or bike or purse or laptop or money. Life is first.
4. Let others know where you are heading to, and keep people informed if you have any change in plans on the road.
5. Keep emergency numbers at finger tips.

These small things can save our life.

Last edited by Technocrat : 12th September 2012 at 02:15. Reason: Removed extra font tags.
Gomzy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 22:18   #1122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomzy View Post

The person hit the driver on the face suddenly. Then one person came and sat in the back seat and told him to drive. The driver shouted and asked for help. Nobody came. People were all looking but no one came.
Its difficult to react in a perfect manner in these situations. He did well but I didnt understand how a person managed to enter into the car. Opening the windows and leaving the doors unlocked is a big mistake.
Old 11th September 2012, 11:34   #1123
BHPian

Yes, i too agree with you sansvk, these are times your mind just stops to work and you do not realize what one is doing at that point of time. And leaving the windows open and the doors unlocked is indeed a big mistake.

Another thing where would i get the pepper spray here in Bangalore.
Old 11th September 2012, 15:01   #1124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomzy View Post
Yes, i too agree with you sansvk,

Another thing where would i get the pepper spray here in Bangalore.
I have ordered mine online. Had a good experience with this website.
http://www.healthkart.com/search?que...x=0&search.y=0

I've also seen pepper spray at many Health and Glow outlets. You can give it a try.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 13:52   #1125
Senior - BHPian

Cross posting from another thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhir_d View Post
Yesterday at the silk board junction coming from hsr layout going towards btm. As I was waiting for the light to turn green I saw two guys moving next to my car and other cars. This was happening for almost over a minute. At first I did not notice it closely , but when I saw the same guys in a span of few seconds moving around the cars, i thought they have lost something, did not bother much.
As soon as the light turned green, I saw one of the guys hitting the right side of a car which was in front of me. The car driver and the owner looked at the right side of the car and at that moment , the second guy pulled out some stuff from the front passenger window. This happened in a matter of seconds. I honked and flashed the dipper to somehow get the attention of the driver in front of me. Guess they did not realise what had happened.

wanted to share the experience so that the members are careful of such tricks
It happened with me twice, first at Bommanahalli signal and second time at Silk Board signal.
Trick is they walk so close to the car and shout in pain as if the car ran over their foot and hit the car, and same person or the second person try to open the door.
I always keep my doors locked and windows rolled up (or open driver side window open max 10-20%)

Friends, be careful.

Last edited by Latheesh : 12th December 2013 at 14:00.
Latheesh is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks