Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2015, 16:52   #1141
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

I do not deny the authenticity of the story of the woman and the red swift, for I WAS NOT THERE. However, somethings just do not add up. There is only ONE signal (Doddanekundi) from KR Puram to Marathalli, however she says she stopped at quite a few signals.

Again, I feel there is more to this story than what is being made out. As I said, this is just speculation and the gurgaon incident of the guy on a bullet being falsely accused comes to mind.

If this incident happened as had been described, then I feel strongly for the lady, but I have my doubts as well.
dass is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2016, 04:49   #1142
Distinguished - BHPian

Came across this on Facebook. Though isolated, haven't heard about these kind of incidents on this route yet.

Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported-screenshot_20160514044553414.jpeg
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2016, 13:43   #1143
Distinguished - BHPian

Beware: New kind of thugs on the road

This is a strange experience that we (My BIL and I) had in the city of Bengaluru on Hosur road.

My BIL had a small accident with his car on 20th May 2016. He had rear ended a vehicle and the bumper of his City was dislocated and the bonnet and fenders were dented. However the radiator was fine and the car was in perfect running condition. The other vehicle just had minor scratches that's it.

It was surprisingly a big damage considering the speeds and impact. For me it showed the quality of new generation Hondas in India; but let's leave that for a different thread.

That night I saw the damage and suggested that we take the car to Trends auto on Hosur road so that we could get it repaired for less and save the NCB aswell. When we went there that evening, I accompanied my BIL in my car. He inspected and here we found out that the passenger side door was also not opening because of the dislocated fender. He showed us what all was damaged and suggested that claiming insurance would work out cheaper than getting it repaired through him.

So we decided to head back home. We took the NECE road and I was ahead of my BIL's car. Till Hosa road signal, he was just behind me but I couldn't see him in the IRVM after that. I didn't worry so much and proceeded towards the NECE toll. He caught up with me at the toll gate.

However, he took the lane to my right and we were almost beside each other. Then I saw two people rushing towards him and talking something. I couldn't hear anything but it was definitely unfriendly from the facial expressions.

I paid the toll and stopped my vehicle. He still was talking to them and vehicles behind him had started honking.
My BIL shouted at them and asked them to just get lost from there. I had never heard him shout at anyone till that time. His Kannada is not so good and so I got down to enquire those two guys in native Kannada language.

They told me that this car had hit a scooter at Bommanahalli a few minutes ago and running away. I was like They told me that they were chasing him from there and had caught him up here. They asked the toll gate guy not to open the gate. the toll gate guy called the security too. I sternly told that this damage was not at all done that day and they must have mistaken the vehicle.

They aggressively started arguing with us that they have not been mistaken and that they have admitted a lady in a hospital nearby and we had to go there and pay for the treatment. We then told him to stop talking and go and complain to the police if he wanted but we wouldn't come anywhere.

We then told the toll guy that this was none of his business and asked him to take the money and open the gate-which he did. Those two guys were shouting and arguing but we gave them a damn and came away.

While I was walking to my car, my BIL told me that they had blocked him at Hosa road signal as well (and that was why I had lost him for a while). Just by seeing a damaged car, those lowlifes had followed the car and tried to extract whatever they could by instilling fear . Of course we didn't budge and they had to leave empty handed.

In hindsight, I feel even I shouldn't have got out of my car because I put my safety at risk to a certain extent.
It was daytime and a populated area, so I didn't worry much( In fact it didn't occur to me at that particular time). Nevertheless I now feel that it was a risky move.

Anyway, with this experience all I want to say is BEWARE!

Last edited by GTO : 14th June 2016 at 10:39. Reason: Spacing & typos
hemanth.anand is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 17th June 2016, 12:12   #1144
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Beware: New kind of thugs on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
This is a strange experience that we (My BIL and I) had in the city of Bengaluru on Hosur road.
I can't believe to what levels people are stooping to nowadays to make a quick buck. I do believe you should report the matter to the nearest police station (possibly with the no. of the scooter) so that police are aware of these things and also to protect yourself in case these guys lodge a case against you.

This is nothing but extortion. Since your car is already damaged onlookers will find their story believable. And you know it makes them bolder if you don't speak kannada, so that all the locals can gang up against you.

So these dimwits are roaming the roads looking for cars with big dents and broken bumpers, so that they can go chasing after them and extract money for an imaginary accident? Get a job people. There are easier ways to make money!
Old 17th June 2016, 12:22   #1145
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Anyway, with this experience all I want to say is BEWARE!
Ah, that was scary
You should have taken a picture of the car after the accident, that would serve as proof with date and time.
With those creeps, it wasn't safe for you to get out of the car and argue, they could have easily taken the fight physical. You could have actually called the cops instead of just telling that to scare them (or asking them to go to the cops which you did), that would have made them leave in a hurry before cops arrived.

These guys are acting like crusaders/good Samaritans trying to mete out justice for accident victims - this modus operandi is scary since it can sometimes get public support easily and also scare the person they target even if they're innocent and force them to succumb to their plans

Last edited by NPV : 17th June 2016 at 12:28.
Old 17th June 2016, 13:40   #1146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I can't believe to what levels people are stooping to nowadays to make a quick buck.

So these dimwits are roaming the roads looking for cars with big dents and broken bumpers, so that they can go chasing after them and extract money for an imaginary accident? Get a job people. There are easier ways to make money!
Exactly our thoughts. I'm still unable to believe it.

Quote:
I do believe you should report the matter to the nearest police station (possibly with the no. of the scooter) so that police are aware of these things and also to protect yourself in case these guys lodge a case against you.
Dash cam video of the actual accident that happened a day earlier is available. so we are safe on that front.

Quote:
This is nothing but extortion. Since your car is already damaged onlookers will find their story believable. And you know it makes them bolder if you don't speak kannada, so that all the locals can gang up against you.
One guy had already started that "Talk in Kannada" thing. After I went in, he stopped that.
My BIL can only understand but not speak. We are still training him

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Ah, that was scary
You should have taken a picture of the car after the accident, that would serve as proof with date and time.
Yes we have that.

Quote:
With those creeps, it wasn't safe for you to get out of the car and argue, they could have easily taken the fight physical. You could have actually called the cops instead of just telling that to scare them (or asking them to go to the cops which you did), that would have made them leave in a hurry before cops arrived.
Like I said, it didn't occur to me at that instant

Quote:
and also scare the person they target even if they're innocent and force them to succumb to their plans
Yes that's exactly waht they want.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 17th June 2016 at 13:46.
Old 21st June 2016, 10:03   #1147
BHPian

Happened to a friend over the weekend:

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/pos...7541&width=500

The usual drama of accusing the car driver of knocking someone down, and insisting that he come out of the car to settle the issue.
Old 26th June 2016, 00:26   #1148
BHPian

What the hell?

Are we living in India or some 3rd world Banana republic?

With the amount of state security being provided to our H'ble ministers, no wonder ordinary citizens are left high and dry.
nda992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 00:53   #1149
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nda992 View Post
Are we living in India or some 3rd world Banana republic?.....
Trick question, eh?

India IS a 3rd world banana republic!
Chetan_Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th June 2016, 01:02   #1150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Trick question, eh?

India IS a 3rd world banana republic!
True, with incidents like the shooting of a driver by a minister's kid in Bihar, and various other monstrosities, I guess I must second the statement.
Old 26th June 2016, 07:09   #1151
BANNED

It's always wise to carry a weapon in the car. Some have mentioned that they carry iron rods and sickles. I feel that may cause YOU unwanted trouble. At least during election time checking or entering state borders which have prohibition.

I would suggest you carry a hockey stick instead. If questioned, you claim innocently that you play for a local area team.

In the driver side door storage, carry a bottle of pepper spray. If you sense danger in any situation you are probably right. Obviously don't use it on cops checking DD cases!

An old con is to pose as a driver with a non-working car or scooter. As soon as you stop to inquire 2-3 accomplices will reach in, unlock the door and get in.

I don't know what to do in such a situation. I might unlock my own door and run away with the car keys. And set off a remote alarm if available on the car. Hard to say.

Last edited by hangover : 26th June 2016 at 07:15.
Old 12th August 2016, 09:26   #1152
Senior - BHPian

Earlier this week, we received an email from our organisation's Security Desk, originated from the ELCITA (Electronic City Industrial Township Authority) Security Officer:
Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported-mugging_advisory_elcia.jpg
silversteed is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th August 2016, 23:51   #1153
BHPian

Few years back we used to get emails regarding Fire Drills, Summer Events etc..Now-a-days we get "Caution" emails with organized crime becoming the order of the day....

Where have we reached?! God help us!
Old 14th August 2016, 08:20   #1154
BHPian

Received this on whatsapp.Not pertaining to Bangalore. However,haven't heard about such incidences or read any reports:
Plate Number Robbery: I
There is a new number plate hijacking trend. Hi-jackers follow you to a parking lot, after you leave your vehicle, they remove your number plate and wait. When u come back and drive off, they follow you. They then overtake you, displaying your number plate out of their window as if you just lost it and they want to give it back to you.
When you stop to get your number plate back, guns come out and they take the car. Maybe even take you and your car. It's a very well rehearsed and organised plan and everything happens very quickly. Other motorists may not be aware of what is happening as you stopped the car yourself. Pls alert others to this danger!!!
PS:Posted it exactly as received

Last edited by virgopal : 14th August 2016 at 08:23. Reason: correction
Old 17th August 2016, 13:16   #1155
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Earlier this week, we received an email from our organisation's Security Desk, originated from the ELCITA (Electronic City Industrial Township Authority) Security Officer:
Attachment 1540821
Our great police force has received 200 ertigas with Panasonic tablet computers.
The 5 roads mentioned as hot spots can have 2 patrol vehicles one at each end and switching every half an hour.

Funny incident:
I was standing with my brother at a paan shop at around 11.30 pm. We were just talking.
A cop comes by on his bike. He asked us to go home. And not loiter around.
Yeah he was speaking in English. Totally drunk as a skunk.

We asked why? He said dangerous people are around. You may get robbed.

We said, isn't that the duty of the police to make sure "dangerous" people aren't prowling around?

My brother wanted to leave. I refused and said we jolly well stay and deal with whatever nonsense comes up.

The cop got heated up. His English became better. All you educated people think so and so, etcetra.

We asked for his ID card and number. He showed it to us from afar and quickly drove away. We saw him swaying all over the road. I saw him the next day (sober) and he pretended he didn't know me at all.

In other words:
  1. The police have no business telling you to avoid this or that road.
  2. It's their duty to patrol known trouble spots.
  3. Police must stop collecting haftha from paani puri vendors and street hawkers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks