Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2011, 10:53   #811
BHPian

Re: Mugging in Bangalore roads - be careful! EDIT: More Incidents reported

Got this today. It happened to an employee of our company:

Today morning while traveling to work on ORR in my car, opposite the Intel office, near Hyundai showroom side, two guys on a bike cut across my car purposefully slowing me down. Next when I slowed down, they came with high speed and hit the right side of my vehicle. They then pretended to fall down, and as I almost came to a stop, I realized they were alright and so I kept the vehicle in motion and drove away. As for the guys on the bike, they realized that I won’t get down from my vehicle and so they picked up their bike and zoomed away. Unfortunately, there was no traffic police at that point of time when the incident happened.
Old 2nd April 2011, 00:39   #812
BHPian

This happened on 31 Mar in Hosur Road to one of our colleagues

"I had gone to Bommasandra to drop a cheque to Salapurai Builder on behalf of my Co-brother. While coming, 2 guys (one is very tall and stout other one is little short height) have stopped me on the road. They claimed that my car had hit them on the road which I was not fully convinced. After lots claims, they upfront asked me to pay around 30,000 towards his bike. I had tried to argue as well as attempt to contact few friends, but they did not allow me get diverted from the main discussion. I even tried to go to nearest police with them, they did not encourage that also. Finally I was forced to go to some nearest ATM and paid some amount to them.
I was almost stuck with them for 45 mins but not able to make any easy escape."

Really dangerous situations, if you fight back, don't know, these guys may not hesitate to use a knife or some other weapons.
Old 2nd April 2011, 01:57   #813
BHPian

@fordday: Very unfortunate an incident. But that's how lawlessness is getting common in India. Well, just curious, how much did he end up paying?
Did the victim take them to the ATM center with him?
Old 2nd April 2011, 07:52   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post

"I had gone to Bommasandra to drop a cheque to Salapurai Builder on behalf of my Co-brother. While coming, 2 guys (one is very tall and stout other one is little short height) have stopped me on the road.
Why did he come out of the car, fordday? Were the doors locked, windows closed?

Last edited by animdas : 2nd April 2011 at 08:19.
Old 2nd April 2011, 08:38   #815
BHPian

Quote:

"I had gone to Bommasandra to drop a cheque to Salapurai Builder on behalf of my Co-brother. While coming, 2 guys (one is very tall and stout other one is little short height) have stopped me on the road. They claimed that my car had hit them on the road which I was not fully convinced. After lots claims, they upfront asked me to pay around 30,000 towards his bike. I had tried to argue as well as attempt to contact few friends, but they did not allow me get diverted from the main discussion. I even tried to go to nearest police with them, they did not encourage that also. Finally I was forced to go to some nearest ATM and paid some amount to them.
Honestly speaking, I don't understand why your colleague gave in so easily as per your description. In case of MV accident, he should have told them to claim his insurance, and if they persisted, he should have persisted to go to the police. He should not have got out of the car, and should've called his friends/police. From your description, this incident seems to be a result of his own negligence.
Old 2nd April 2011, 09:11   #816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Really dangerous situations, if you fight back, don't know, these guys may not hesitate to use a knife or some other weapons.
What was the time when it happened?

45 minutes spent and still not able to do anything? Was your friend unaware of the incidents which are happening and hence could not react?

I hope he did not give out too much money to them. Bad as it is, this is something which can be expected when the benefits of economic development are concentrated in hands of few.

What did you say? Police? What Police.
Old 2nd April 2011, 09:43   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
What was the time when it happened?

45 minutes spent and still not able to do anything? Was your friend unaware of the incidents which are happening and hence could not react?

I hope he did not give out too much money to them. Bad as it is, this is something which can be expected when the benefits of economic development are concentrated in hands of few.

What did you say? Police? What Police.
I feel the best defence for us is our cars. No point coming out of it. The muggers in two wheelers cant do anything if we show the aggression of being able to topple their vehicles.
I somehow feel that these muggers are small time miscreants who want to make easy money from people whom they think are gullible, mostly the IT Junta who cant speak the local language.

One mandatory thing which I insisted the car dealer for my new car was to get the number plate both in English and Kannada. I had to pay some extra money but it has been fine till now. I live near whitefield region and mainly drive along the ORR region where most of these incidents have been reported. I mainly drive alone or with my wife. Have been lucky to be away from the any such muggers till now. Not sure whether its sheer luck or the Kannada number plate which is acting as "Nimbu and Mirchi" to ward off the "bad drishti" of miscreants.

In worst case, I beleive it makes sense to hit any two wheeler who tries to stop me rather than putting my family and myself in trouble. I would prefer to get away by paying some money to the Cops after hitting a bike rather than pay the money to a mugger and remain in low self esteem and subconscious fear for the rest of my life.

Last edited by recker_us : 2nd April 2011 at 09:47. Reason: .
Old 4th April 2011, 00:44   #818
BHPian

The time was morning 8-9. The guy was aware of such incidents happening around but still failed to realise when he fell into it. I don't know how much he ended up paying. And yes, the insides of the locked car is the safest place in case of such an incident, till the police or help comes. The muggers I am sure wouldn't have the courage to break the glass.
Old 4th April 2011, 12:29   #819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The muggers I am sure wouldn't have the courage to break the glass.
Muggers broke my friend's car front windshield when resisted and it happened inside Ecity around 4PM.
Old 5th April 2011, 11:43   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Muggers broke my friend's car front windshield when resisted and it happened inside Ecity around 4PM.
Where exactly inside ECity? Was it a real accident followed by mugging or just a mugging? With CISF patrolling I expected things to be a bit better inside ECity.
Old 5th April 2011, 11:52   #821
Senior - BHPian

^^

It happened few months back near HP/Timken office. They took 6K from him.
Old 7th April 2011, 10:08   #822
BHPian

Another notorious location for mugging - Byappanahalli road (the stretch from Mukunda theatre to OMR). And this happened yesterday.

My wife's friend, with her 6-year old son left Banaswadi at 930pm to go to Koramangala, via Byappanahalli. Midway through the stretch, (before railway crossing) two people on a bike overtook her car from left side and tried to block the car repeatedly. Somehow she managed to escape, even banging the bike once. They chased till OMR and then vanished.

People using this route in off-peak hours - think twice!!
Old 25th May 2011, 22:47   #823
BHPian

Mugging in south bangalore, kanakapura road near sarakki

This particular incident happened a few days ago.

Time: around 2 o'clock in the afternoon
Place: Sarakki, near the vegetable market of banashankari in kanakapura road.

My friend who works in a leading BPO was returning home after his night shift. Few drunk youths were standing near a bar cum restaurant and were talking among themselves, one of their friends who is about to leave the place in a bike looses control while kick starting the bike and falls down on the road (as this guy is also drunk) My friend sees him falling and slams the breaks hard so as to prevent him running over. But due to construction work the road is full of gravels and inspite of breaking hard, his car just touches the bike. The guy on the bike was still on the ground(result of intoxication by the alcohol + shock of falling from the bike). My friend comes out of his car to see the condition of the drunk biker, and to his horror he notices that the other drunk guys in front of the bar rush towards the spot yelling and abusing my friend of knocking their friend with his car.

And even before he could understand what was happening he got a couple of punches and kicks all over his body and he fell to ground, instantly these people start dragging him to a nearby isolated lane. (Most shocking part is the main road is busy enough, with many people being witness to what was happening, no body came forward to interfere, atleast to enquire what was happening). So, they drag him to the deserted narrow lane and started the beating up again...after a minute of the savage act, they ask him to pay money...starting with 5k. By this time my friend was completely shattered and shaken by the experience, he said that he didn't have that much. At this one of the guys pulled out my friend's wallet from his pocket and started counting the money...the other guys also looked at the wallet, and my friend took this fraction of a second's time to push them and run towards his car. One guy chases him down and when my friend got into the car and was about to start it, he catches my friend by his collar....in the meantime my friend started the car and revved away. The drunk guy still manages to snatch away his silver chain.

My friend didn't look back and sped away.

Weird part is, while he stops at the banashankari signal...a cab driver stops parallel to his car and asks "Sone ka chain tha kya?" (was the chain made of gold?) to that my friend replied "no" and the cab driver said "maine dekha wahan kya hua, tension mat lo sahab agar sone ka nahi tha toh"(I was what happened there, dont worry if that was not a gold chain) My friend didn't say a word and left the place.

His wallet had around 350rs, but it had his debit cards and original driving licence. He escaped the horrific incident without any major injury.

This incident was an example of what we say in hindi "gunda girdi". And noboby passing by raises a voice, even BMTC buses were passing by

I don't understand how these guys have so much guts to do something like this in broad daylight and that too in a busy road. Alcohol must have played a vital part, but still in their subconscious minds they must be having this rowdy attitude.
Old 26th May 2011, 11:14   #824
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mugging in south bangalore, kanakapura road near sarakki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
I don't understand how these guys have so much guts to do something like this in broad daylight and that too in a busy road. Alcohol must have played a vital part, but still in their subconscious minds they must be having this rowdy attitude.
When there is no authority to fear, the one that exists reeking of corruption, what do they have left to fear? Its a free world out there for such people. Maybe we should invite Batman to Bangalore for a while.
Old 26th May 2011, 12:25   #825
Team-BHP Support

It's an understood fact that the police will not help the common man when he/she is in trouble. Only the high-profile and well-connected people will have their way with the police. the others are left to fend for themselves.

So instead of complaining about this (it's honestly not going to get us anywhere) go to the nearest sports-apparel shop and get yourself a slugger (baseball-bat) and then drop by at Health & Glow and buy a can of mace (pepper-spray) and keep it in your car at all times. And keep it where you can reach for it quickly.

When muggers on bikes stop you n a deserted road:
  • Roll up your windows, lock all the doors and dial 100. Chances are they will start abusing you and probably get violent. Ignore the abuses and turn your attention to your phone.
  • If you have an aux-port or if your car's stereo is bluetoothed, then make sure its synced while dialing 100 and turn up the volume so that the muggers can hear the call being made.
  • If they get violent, be swift with the pepper spray and cover their faces with it. if you have the guts, take the baseball bat and whack them on their legs.
  • They will be stunned at this point and the mace would have hampered their ability to move and see. So when you're sure that they're in that state, get out of your car and remove the keys on the bike and take a picture of the bike and their faces.
  • Be ready to take a few more swings at them if you feel the need to. And keep spraying their sorry faces with the pepper spray.
Remember, self-defence will not land you into trouble if you have sufficient evidence.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks