Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2019, 18:28   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toll on the Bangalore Int'l Airport road

The dedicated lane for the fast tag on the way to the city (returning from the airport) is too fast to shut the barrier.

The system bills you and shuts the gate before you cross it. Kindly avoid! I got billed 85+45 and 85 again.

Also considering ditching paytm linked fast tag for a non shady corporation based one. Raising conflicts regarding wrongly billed toll is a pain and their support is pretty much like interacting with an NPC with limited responses.(Non playable characters in a video game )
vinaydas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2019, 18:15   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
The dedicated lane for the fast tag on the way to the city (returning from the airport) is too fast to shut the barrier.

The system bills you and shuts the gate before you cross it. Kindly avoid! I got billed 85+45 and 85 again.

Also considering ditching paytm linked fast tag for a non shady corporation based one. Raising conflicts regarding wrongly billed toll is a pain and their support is pretty much like interacting with an NPC with limited responses.(Non playable characters in a video game )
The horrible system on the dedicated toll lane towards the city cost me a windshield.

The lights were green, the moment I entered the dedicated fast tag lane. The moment I reached the barrier , it dropped right on my windshield instantly cracking it.

This system is poorly designed and a lot of times cars have to reverse and move to the paid lane just because the system either doesn’t scan the tag properly or the tag has already been read and the barrier timer is too slow and closes before you cross.
Attached Thumbnails
Toll on the Bangalore Int'l Airport road-67686e98291542e7b7ccb146f6eab261.jpeg  

vinaydas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 14:30   #153
Senior - BHPian

Avoid using Begur Road to reach Kempegowda International Airport, cabbies told : URL

Toll on the Bangalore Int'l Airport road-airprot_begur.png
Old 6th February 2020, 11:53   #154
BHPian

Is it still that bad ? Today in Deccan Herald there is a report saying that FASTag users are being deducted 85/- each way i.e. 190/- for a return journey, while earlier the cash payment of 135/- was required for return journey.

Overall how is the FASTag experience on the expressway to BIAL ? Long queues, mis-charging etc. ? Or is it quite smooth now ?
Old 6th February 2020, 12:00   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdutta View Post
Is it still that bad ? Today in Deccan Herald there is a report saying that FASTag users are being deducted 85/- each way i.e. 190/- for a return journey, while earlier the cash payment of 135/- was required for return journey.

This has been the case since the time Fastag was made mandatory. Has happened to me personally, as well as countless others. Rectification measures have not been taken by the relevant authorities. Of course, a good way to make extra money at the cost of road users.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 8th February 2020 at 18:42. Reason: Typos.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 12:14   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Avoid using Begur Road to reach Kempegowda International Airport, cabbies told : URL
Is there any basis (or history) to this danger aspect? Some of my recent trips have been through the back-route; some even at odd hours; but haven't seen any issue so far.

Quote:
Overall how is the FASTag experience on the expressway to BIAL ? Long queues, mis-charging etc. ? Or is it quite smooth now ?
Hardly much traffic on the way to the airport; however have seen medium sized queues on the way back (towards the city) though. This is basis some 5-6 trips done over the last 2 months.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 6th February 2020 at 12:16.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 13:16   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Is there any basis (or history) to this danger aspect? Some of my recent trips have been through the back-route; some even at odd hours; but haven't seen any issue so far.

Hardly much traffic on the way to the airport; however have seen medium sized queues on the way back (towards the city) though. This is basis some 5-6 trips done over the last 2 months.
Good points. Would like to hear what regulars on the route have to say. BTW, if coming from Marthahalli side, what should be the waypoints to make sure Google maps routes thru the toll-free route (Bagalur)?
Old 6th February 2020, 14:14   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Good points. Would like to hear what regulars on the route have to say. BTW, if coming from Marthahalli side, what should be the waypoints to make sure Google maps routes thru the toll-free route (Bagalur)?
I always take this route to go to the airport. Most of my flights are at around 3-4 AM, so I always travel around midnight. I haven't faced any issues so far, but it is true that the road is very sparsely populated and if someone wanted to loot you, there are many good areas on this route :-) .

I also read about a case where a model from kolkata was killed by a driver for money and her body dropped off near one of the villages on this route.

So I guess it has its risks.

Regarding the route from Marathahalli, you can go towards Whitefield and Hopefarm and then get onto the Airport road near the Kolar highway.

The other option would be to go to Tin Factory and take the National highway towards Kolar and then take the left turn towards the airport road/ Budigere road.

I think there are other options too from Thanisandra road, but you will have to pass through the KR Puram/ Tin factory traffic.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th February 2020 at 14:34. Reason: Spacing
Newpunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 17:33   #159
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Is there any basis (or history) to this danger aspect?
I think that guideline came after an Ola driver asked a female passenger to get out of the car in that isolated stretch after some altercation.
Old 6th February 2020, 18:38   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I had been to the airport yesterday evening, got charged 90 and 45 on the way back at night, so I guess it is Ok at least for now
kannan666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 10:19   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if this is the norm now, but I took the cash lane today (was driving a Zoomcar) and was told there is no option for a return journey and had to pay Rs 90x2

Is this a recent change? Or did the toll agent just troll me.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th February 2020 at 22:05. Reason: Please use emoticons provided in forum text editor for a consistent reader experience.
varkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 12:42   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkey View Post
Not sure if this is the norm now, but I took the cash lane today (was driving a Zoomcar) and was told there is no option for a return journey and had to pay Rs 90x2.

Is this a recent change? Or did the toll agent just troll me.
The toll agent was correct. On a very recent trip, I also noticed all toll booths with the same message - if you are paying cash, the "same day return" lesser toll amount does not apply.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 28th February 2020 at 22:05. Reason: Quoted text edited.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2020, 13:45   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Unsure if this is legal as per concessionaire agreement. Travellers will include rental cars etc, so this will have to be planned to be worked out.
Old 28th February 2020, 15:44   #164
BHPian

Yes. Recently have seen most tolls have a board saying no return ticket by Cash.

Makes sense too given there are several who enter the fastag lane by saying they have a return ticket which might or might not be true.
anandhsub is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2020, 16:14   #165
BHPian

Normally the Fastag lane operates on its own is very fast elsewhere. The dedicated fast tag lane used to work well in a similar manner, although there were some cases of the tag not being recognised specially if the wind screen is not clean.

However with the new lanes it’s a pain. It does not seem to operate on its own. Apparently the operator has to press a key and then the system takes some time to check and finally it opens. Leading to frustrating wait at the toll gate. It is not so in any other Fastag. Not sure why they have implemented such incompetent system specially at the airport.

Most Viewed