Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2012, 14:40   #76
BHPian

re: Toll on the Bangalore Int'l Airport road

Indeed, this is RIP-off! Considering the state of the road the road as it is today from the Hebbal flyover until the Airport junction. Driving that road is a real punishment and one needs to pray hard for the safety of your spoilers, tyres and more importantly, the passengers!

Thankfully, the recent drop-offs at the airport that I had to do were all for those wee hour flights when traffic is comparatively minimal. So, the trick is to follow one of those EASYCABS/MERUCABS cos those drivers know the geocode of each of those gaping pits and potholes on the supposedly manned, toll-enabled NH ! What a welcome reception to those people arriving in Bangalore for the first time. A recent visit (which was my first) to Delhi made me applaud for the roads there and how our Bangalore roads compare to them. I will not comment on the driving style in Delhi though. Guess, a city can't have it all! But, better roads are a welcome sight.

The cabbies are the only ones who have the strength to oppose this move. At least, until the road from the city centre till the airport is in PERFECT condition! Anyway, considering the number of toll booths coming up across the city like NICE road, Electronic City, etcetc. I'm really considering installing an OBU and recharge it to speed through those tolls. Read something on the news recently, saying NHAI has invited tenders from banks willing to support this OBU which will be used as standard across all tolls.
Old 13th February 2012, 11:48   #77
Team-BHP Support

I'd travelled to Hyderabad last weekend; the toll collection seems to have begun in full swing.

Meanwhile, cab operators have called a strike to protest against the toll tariff.

Panic calls flood cab operators - The Times of India
Old 20th February 2012, 15:28   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Indeed, this is RIP-off! Considering the state of the road the road as it is today from the Hebbal flyover until the Airport junction. Driving that road is a real punishment and one needs to pray hard for the safety of your spoilers, tyres and more importantly, the passengers!
Toll is generally collected for good roads with signal free travel. I believe the concessionaires for collecting the toll must have greased the palm to get permission for collecting tolls. Further according to reports toll is not collected from protesting organisations like Vedike members to fizzle out the activism. Another rip off is that actually the toll beyond airport is awarded to another contractor, which obviously has good roads upto Ananthpur. A sum of Rs 90 is collected for return journey near Bagepalli. I just returned from a trip to Kadri for hardly 8 kms we ended up paying toll of 90 bucks, and did not get to return on the same route since we used the other route via Madanapalle to return. It is another rip off considering that we hardly used 8 kms stretch.

The current toll of 25 for return journey is bound to shoot up to Rs 60 once the flyovers are complete, it is only partial collection of toll i believe from vehicle users. The seamless travel on this road would be international class i hope.

Last edited by ukderebail : 20th February 2012 at 15:31. Reason: Add info
Old 20th February 2012, 16:13   #79
BHPian

Toll collection is on, and from what I saw this morning, has been accepted by the public as well.

1. Move the airport 30-60 kms (46 for me) from the city.
2. Allow only selected taxi operators to pick arrivals. Only AC sedans please.
3. Launch Volvo services without last mile connectivity (was present earlier with Cellcabs, now no more).
4. Give a decent/good road (from hebbal onwards) instead of the promised signal free expressway.
5. Turn this road into a 20 km long construction zone.

And now, charge for this road. Without an option/alternate road.

Grin and bear !!!
Old 10th March 2012, 14:41   #80

By the way, they are charging Rs.25/- which is the toll amount for return journey - and you can not even buy a single trip ticket (which technically exist at Rs.20/-). I am told by one of my friend that the high court had ordered that toll not be charged (not merely just not collected) enroute to airport and only be charged during the return trip. But the Navayuga fellows are charging the amount for return trip toll and even refusing to accept that if one passes a toll booth once; he or she pays only once for a single journey.

By the way, I spoke to one Srinivasa (who claimed he is Manager of Navayuga Toll Company) who said there is no such court directive and they are merely helping us reach the airport faster by collecting only during the return leg - but toll for both legs need to be paid.

Any views?????
Old 1st May 2012, 13:16   #81
Team-BHP Support

Has toll collection been stopped? I was returning from the Airport yesterday in a Vayu Vajra and it didn't stop at the toll booth. I turned around to check; no private vehicle stopped either.
Old 1st May 2012, 13:37   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Has toll collection been stopped? I was returning from the Airport yesterday in a Vayu Vajra and it didn't stop at the toll booth. I turned around to check; no private vehicle stopped either.
It look like toll collection has been stopped. I was returning from Hyderabad midnight of 7th of April and I did not pay toll and it was deserted. This is good considering that we have to pay toll now withing city limit.
Old 1st May 2012, 13:55   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
It look like toll collection has been stopped. I was returning from Hyderabad midnight of 7th of April and I did not pay toll and it was deserted. This is good considering that we have to pay toll now withing city limit.
The toll collection has been stopped due to a stay order issued by the Court.

More details here:

Court halts toll collection on BIA road | Deccan Chronicle

-- Wind
Wind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 14:19   #84
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it has indeed been stopped. I was dropping wifey and returning yesterday. I held Rs.30/- but the attendant just waved me off. Wonder why is the booth manned if the toll is not being collected.
Old 4th July 2012, 19:59   #85
Team-BHP Support

Toll has been stopped but preparations are in order to collect it big time.

Construction is on for 2 toll booths; one for each lane on either sides of the existing road. Looks like it will resume in full swing soon.
Old 28th July 2012, 19:22   #86
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Traveled to the airport yesterday - toll collection has not resumed yet. I took the route via Budigere-Devanahalli.
Old 31st August 2012, 10:47   #87
Senior - BHPian

Its going to resume shortly. I wonder for which road they are going to collect. There are plenty of flyover contructions and deviations from Hebbal to Airport.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/16035755.cms

Quote:
BANGALORE: Get set to pay toll if you are heading to Bengaluru International Airport (BIA). The high court on Thursday vacated the stay order of a lower court in Devanahalli, on the collection of toll on the road leading to BIA.

Justice Ravi Malimath passed the order after hearing a petition filed by the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI).
Old 31st August 2012, 20:07   #88
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Toll collection may have begun today itself - see this
Anyone traveled today to the airport ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I wonder for which road they are going to collect. There are plenty of flyover contructions and deviations from Hebbal to Airport.
Hebbal to Airport is a mess with all the diversions and the way the cabs are driven it's very dangerous for other road users.
I made 2 recent trips to the airport via Old Madras Road-Budigere Cross-Mandur-Devanahalli and it was such a relaxed, stress free drive. But now, even if we take this route I guess we will have to pay toll when going to the aiport and back though we use the NH7 for just about 5km each way (toll booths in both directions already exist and were collecting toll till the court imposed the stay).

Last edited by NPV : 31st August 2012 at 20:19.
Old 10th September 2012, 18:32   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Toll collection may have begun today itself - see this
Anyone traveled today to the airport ?
I have travelled to airport yesterday (09.09.2012). While going took the hebbal route, and while returning took NH-209 from Devanahalli to Hoskote (was going to Vellore - hence took NH-209 instead of BIAL road).
Hebbal route the booths were empty, while on the other side the booths were manned, but no toll is getting collected.
arindamray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 07:19   #90
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
I have travelled to airport yesterday (09.09.2012). While going took the hebbal route, and while returning took NH-209 from Devanahalli to Hoskote (was going to Vellore - hence took NH-209 instead of BIAL road).
Hebbal route the booths were empty, while on the other side the booths were manned, but no toll is getting collected.
Thanks Arindam.
This is weird because the newspaper reports said that toll collection would begin as soon the toll collection company receives a copy of the court's order.
The Devanahalli-Hoskote Road is NH207, NH209 is the Kanakapura road (and these numbers would have changed now, don't know the new numbers)
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed