Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2011, 18:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Driving Licence renewal woes - Medical fitness certificate required!

In Kerala, a medical certificate from a doctor is not required if you are below 40. It is good enough to give a self declaration on your fitness (CMV Form 1). If you are above 40 years, then it is required to be obtained from a qualified doctor (CMV Form 1A). It should be the same in KA. See the forms below.

http://www.karnataka.gov.in/e-forms/...ical_forms.pdf

Last edited by vasoo : 16th February 2011 at 18:51.
Old 16th February 2011, 23:05   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
My DL is expiring this month, so I went to the local RTO's office (Yelahanka Bangalore), I had to buy the forms as they did not have "stocks" at the office, then I saw that a medical certificate was also required (again in prescribed format).

Now there used to be a doctor's clinic in the ground floor of the building housing the RTO's office, this doctor has been there for many years, much before the RTO's office was set up, he has a good practice, but once the RTO's office opened up, his practice grew substantially, he was the closest doctor available to issue medical fitness certificate, I used to see throngs of people waiting at the clinic in the mornings, most of them holding forms.

Now, it was my turn to join the throngs, but to my surprise, his clinic was deserted with just a couple of patients waiting their turn, when my turn came, I went in and asked him to certify me fit, but he told me that the RTO started rejecting his certificates as he was not willing to give them a "cut", so now they ask people to go to a govt hospital 4 kms away or get a certificate for 150/- bucks from one of the touts around.

Now, is it mandatory to get a medical fitness certificate from a govt doctor for getting a document from the RTO's office? I remember having got a certificate signed by an "authorised" doctor sitting in a cubicle at Jayanagar Shopping Complex, when I got my licence for the first time, there was no concept of having to get a govt doctor to sign the fitness certificate, has it changed now?

Would like to know of your experiences in getting a DL renewed. As a principle I don't want to go through agents (have never done so at the RTO's office).

Cheers,
Hari.
Hari my Friend this is India. You try doing things by the book, you will end up doing nothing here!

Here is what happened to me at the same RTO. This was to get fitness certificate for the car.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2201608

A year back, Me and my dad went to the RTO to renew his DL. He is in his mid 50s. We were made to run around like circus clowns. I wanted to punch a hole in the guys face.
My dad was really bored dealing with these jokers.
Finally we gave up and went to the agent who got it done for us.

Once the agent took over we never had to go to the RTO. Signed some forms and gave him photos and that was it. 3-5 days later dad got his renewed DL.
I think he charged us Rs. 500-700 or so. Don't remember the exact amount. But this was better than going to the RTO several times and looking at those lifeless zombies working there.

If you need this agents number let me know. He has a shop at the RTO.

Last edited by Captain Slow : 16th February 2011 at 23:13.
Old 17th February 2011, 02:50   #18
Senior - BHPian

AFAIK doctor's fitness certification is only for those aged 50 and above. I'd got my DL renewed and did not have any issue, except that it is valid only for 5 years.

I did pay around 50 rupees to the doc stationed at the RTA office however.
Old 17th February 2011, 07:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you need this agents number let me know. He has a shop at the RTO.
Thanks for the offer captain slow, will definitely take on your offer if I am made to run from pillar to post, the RTO's office is walkable distance from my house and I have to drive past it on my way to work, so I'll try and submit the documents today on my way to work.
Old 17th February 2011, 16:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

I still have a book DL which I would like to convert to a card DL. What is the best way to go about doing this routine?

Thanks in advance.
DF
Old 17th February 2011, 16:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

this morning I landed at the RTO's office at 10.30 am, showed the documents for verification, I was told to pay a fee of 250/- for licence plus smart card, did so and then another round of verification with lots of scribbling strange doodles on the application forms and then was directed to a guy with a computer with an attached web cam, my mugshot was taken and he stuck a stamp on the application and asked me to submit it at a particular counter. I did so and was issued an acknowledgement, I was told my new renewed licence will be posted in the self addressed envelope I had to attach.
All this took less than 20 minutes of my time, no hassles or bribes.

Quote:
I still have a book DL which I would like to convert to a card DL. What is the best way to go about doing this routine?
Fill the prescribed form, pay 200/- as fees for smart card, submit the original licence booklet, and get yourself photographed for smart card, once you submit the documents they will tell you by when your card will be issued.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2011, 18:18   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Driving Licence renewal woes - Medical fitness certificate required!

i just renewed my license by simply going to a local driving school and asking for their help.

I filled up the forms, submitted all documents including correct address proof, pucca medical certificate from my regular doctor, 3 passport size photos and the old original license (which still had a month's life left in it).

I was asked to come across to the Electronic City RTO last week. Went there, waited for 20 minutes, met the driving school chap, then was called in for a web cam mugshot and then was told to buzz off and that my license would be renewed and ready within a week.
In actual fact the license was handed over to me within 4 days of the mugshot being taken. this is the new smart card type issued by Karnataka State.

total charges?
250 renewal fee
200-250 address change fee (with supporting documents)
500 - service charge for the driving school owner.

1000 bucks and I ve got the license renewed in a painless manner with minimum fuss. The new license is valid for another 10 years so no worries.

Now I must get the International Permit from Automobile Association - for this 4 photos are required, passport and valid visa copy required, driving license copy required and a fee of Rs 850/-
They will issue the IDP which is valid for one year or until the driving license is valid, whichever is earlier.
Old 19th February 2011, 19:09   #23
BHPian

Hello,

Somebody please tell me the correct procedure for applying DL. I got mine in 2002 and my driving test was a joke. I applied for 2 & 4 wheeler license and the RTO official didint even bother looking at how i was riding and driving. I got mine done through an agent, but i dont want any of my younger siblings to go through this route. I want them to learn the correct way of applying a DL at the RTO. What are the documents required? Is medical certificate mandatory now? Have all RTOs switched to smart card or even now the booklet license is issued.

If i move from one state to another is it mandatory to transfer my license?
Old 19th February 2011, 20:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
I felt that the process is quite simple but it is made tough by making people run from one window to another, that’s where all the touts come into picture. Ask the RTO official about the next step to follow at all the steps.
We the citizens are to blame for all this corruption , after having all the valid documents we cannot stand in queue for couple of hrs for a licences which will be valid for a 20 years (initially). I think we all s need to take this pain to follow the right path (That’s how I feel) and stop feeding this corruption NOW!
I fully agree!

We need to have little patience & time, we can get the needful done without involving touts or paying bribe to anyone!
I got my hypothecation cancelled in RC book & DL converted to Smart card by visiting the RTO office & submitting required docs & fees.
Yes, I had to spend around 2 hours for this process (travelling to RTO, standing in queue etc), but it was worth it!
Old 25th May 2012, 16:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

It was a big surprise today when I found that I was driving without a valid license for more than 5 months. Yes, it had expried in Dec 2011 and I never noticed it. My license was transfered from Kerala to Jayanagar RTO in 2010, someone please let me know the procedure to renew a license that is expired for more than 6 months. One more query - Is driving with an expired license same as driving without a license
Old 25th May 2012, 19:47   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
It was a big surprise today when I found that I was driving without a valid license for more than 5 months. Yes, it had expried in Dec 2011 and I never noticed it. My license was transfered from Kerala to Jayanagar RTO in 2010, someone please let me know the procedure to renew a license that is expired for more than 6 months. One more query - Is driving with an expired license same as driving without a license
Driving with an expired license is the same as driving without a license. There are no two ways about it.

As far as I am aware, you are given 30 days from the expiry of your license to apply for a renewal. After that, I think only the fees start going up. I am not sure if there are any procedural hassles in renewing a license beyond the 30-day grace period. I would recommend that you enquire at the RTO for the procedure, and then speak to an agent.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 25th May 2012 at 19:50. Reason: grammar mistakes
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 21:12   #27
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar
Renewal is with in 30 day before expiry OR with in 30 days afer expiry. IMO need to apply afresh. Try to contact agent if there is a way out.
v&v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 14:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

Thanks @KiloAlpha and V&V. License can be renewed upto 5 years from the date of expiry by paying a nominal fine for every year. You need to apply for a new DL only if the 5 yearr mark is crossed. Did some research on driving with an expired license, it is an offence and there is a supreme court ruling where insurance was declined for this reason

BTW. I have given it to an agent on Saturday, he has promised to get the acknowledgement from RTO on Monday and deliver the renewed license in a week.
Old 2nd August 2012, 00:42   #29
BHPian

Just today I started and completed the process to renew my DL. I did not want to pay any tout and did everything myself.

My RTO is Attapur, Ranga Reddy district, Hyderabad.

- Got 3 forms (Form 9, Self Certification of medical fitness and a Medical Certificate form to be filled by a doctor) by paying Rs. 6 to the Form seller sitting outside the RTO hall.

- Filled out the forms, got the Medical Certificate form signed by my doctor. You have to affix your photo, and the doctor has to sign across the photo and put his seal either on or near it.

- Put your current DL into a plastic sleeve (available for Rs 2 with the same Form seller) and staple it to the 3 forms. You have to write your Surname, Qualification and Phone Number on Form 9, somewhere towards the top.

- Get everything verified by the Supervisor sitting at the far end of the hall.

- Bring the forms to counter 5 at the RTO.

- Pay Rs. 475 as the fees. Take the receipt to the Camera Room and get your photo taken.

- The smart card will be sent to you via registered post in about 10 days time

Total time it took me was about 40 mins including waiting in line for the photo shoot.

It is quite a hassle-free process.

cheers

- Krishnan
Old 19th November 2012, 17:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
Folks,

Thanks in advance.
DF
I had quite an experience of getting a smart card. I did submit all forms and submited my original licence in 2 week of Sep 2012. I was told I will get my card by post (For which I had already given a self addressed cover for speed post) 30 days after submission. Waited till 15 oct (1 week post 30 days) and then I visited them. The case officer was on leace that day. I visited them again after 2 days and found the card lying in the drawer of the case worker. The card was prepared on 5th Oct itself. When I asked the case worker why this was not posted, I got a very lame excuse of postal workers on strike.

There was a mistake in the smart card I did not notice. 2 weeks later I did notice that my LMV licence line item was not there in the card (My mistake should have validated the same on the day collected the card). i went back and brought up this issue with the ARTO. He was adamant that it was my mistake that I had not validated the same on the day I took the card and I need to pay Rs. 200 again for the smart card. He also told me that I had an option of not paying and waiting for the verification of originals which may take a while (with an underlying tone of --Forever). I was basically blackmailed into paying 200 Rs. to get my issue corrected with a new card or wait forever hoping to get the corrected smart card without paying.

I opted for paying Rs. 200 (With bills of course) and getting the freshly printed smart card on the same day (within 1 hr). What took >30 days for the first smart card with errors got done in 1 hr the next time around.

I realised that if there is a WILL, things happen pretty quickly in RTOs.

This RTO is near Gyanabharthi near Vidyaniketan school.
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks