Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2017, 09:36   #121
BHPian

Re: Driving Licence renewal woes - Medical fitness certificate required!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
Nothing yet :(

I have been informed by a few others (who gave their licences for renewal etc.) that it usually takes 1 month+ 10 days for the license to come. Will pay a friendly visit to the RTO in the coming week.
An agent in Mumbai, who I contacted, gave me the same information; one and a half month.

But when I visited the Mumbai Central RTA to submit the renewal applicaton, the clerk at the cash counter told me that the DL would be dispatched within 15 days.

And after 15 days, 'status' on the Parivahan site states that the DL has been 'dispatched through post'.

But though I was given to understand that the DL is sent by Speed Post, till date, no attempt has been made by the local PO to deliver the same at my Mumbai residence.

Guess, I will wait a few days and then take up the matter with the RTO, Mumbai Central and ask for the postal receipt number.
Old 20th July 2017, 10:18   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
And after 15 days, 'status' on the Parivahan site states that the DL has been 'dispatched through post'.
How exactly do we check this? On the parivahan site, when I select application status for DL, it says application no and DOB are mismatched or it says Application no is not in the right format.

When I select DL extract and key in application no, it says Application not yet approved!
Old 20th July 2017, 19:13   #123
BHPian

Quote:
How exactly do we check this? On the parivahan site, when I select application status for DL, it says application no and DOB are mismatched or it says Application no is not in the right format.

When I select DL extract and key in application no, it says Application not yet approved!
I believe that the 'application status' can be checked on the Parivahan only for online applications. Don't think it will work in your case because, if I recollect correctly, you have submitted your application manually.

In my case, I had a smart card to begin with and had applied for the renewal on the Parivahan site. I only visited the Mumbai RTO to obtain a medical certificate from the 'resident' doctor.
Zezé is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2017, 11:04   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, so to summarize my experience of trying to get my old book type license transferred from Maharashtra (MH04) to Bangalore (Ka05). A mini-ordeal and mini-drama in stages:
Quote:
Nothing yet :(

I have been informed by a few others (who gave their licences for renewal etc.) that it usually takes 1 month+ 10 days for the license to come. Will pay a friendly visit to the RTO in the coming week.

So, I finally have my license in my hands.But not without further mini-dramas.

1. I had originally submitted my documents to KA-05 @ 13th June.

2. A month later, I was advised by others to wait for 10 more days, as it usually takes a little longer than a month.

3. On 29th July, a working Saturday, I walked into Jayanagar RTO. Enquiry was only between 10.00- 12.00 and I was late. However, there were quite a few others like me, and tailing them (they had an advantage of speaking in local language) I reached the computer operator who was checking status by keying in the application number.

4. The operator keys in my application number. Status says no progress. He notices that it is a MH license and tells me that out of state licenses typically take 60 days from date of submission. I am in a tizzy as my Bangalore- Ladakh drive is planned from 19th August, and I do not want to risk doing that with a an "acknowledgement" that is printed in Kannada.

5. I decide to go to the officer in cabin no. 4 and check if there is a way I can expedite things, or if there is a provision to get a letter etc. in English.

6. A junior staff (compared to the officer) who is sitting in the cabin along with the officer asks what my concern is. I tell her. She agrees to help me and asks me to wait for 5 minutes as she first has to take care of a paper that is in her hands.

7. 5 minutes stretch to 30 minutes as the lady ends up gossiping with every staff member present there. She finally instructs the computer operator to retrieve my papers from a particular cupboard. Though I do not understand Kannada fully, I do get the gist that more than 30 days are up and there should be some progress. Her tone is a mix of instructing + scolding.

8. Papers are not found in the file that is being searched. Another clerk searches in another section. No luck. Then a third clerk is asked. He enquires my name. I tell him. He confirms by adding my middle name. Am shocked at his amazing memory. He then tells the computer operator that my papers are indeed in the first file and towards the bottom. On more careful searching, the operator finds my papers!

9. After 2-3 minutes of chit chat, the operator makes his way to cabin no.4. He comes out after 15- 20 mins and tells me that the confirmation of NOC has come from MH-04 RTO and that everything is in order now. I should get my license within 7- 10 days.

10. I thank him and I leave.

As I leave, I am not sure if he expected something from me. My experience has been that they usually give a hint. Plus while doing bio-metrics the bio-metrics operator was openly demanding Rs.50 from all male applicants. A few friends, later, chide me for not giving the operator chai-paani and claim that things will get delayed.

10 days have passed and no license. Finally, I walk into the RTO on a working day of the previous week, and here is the sequence of events:

1. Walk up to the computer operator and ask him to check the status. The card has been approved for printing only 2 days prior. He recognizes me and says that there is a shortage of cards, and that it will take another 7- 10 days

2. I tell him that I cannot afford to wait this long, and indirectly and directly offer chai-paani to help expedite things. He refuses to accept anything, but promises that he will speak to someone senior and try get my license printed in the next 3 days.

3. I reach home and via a whatsapp group of folks who are doing the Bangalore- Ladakh drive explore who is flying into Chandigarh etc. Worst case scenario, they will carry my DL with them.

4. A member in that group knows someone, who knows folks at the RTO. On hearing about the drive, that someone agrees to help and puts in a word.

5. My license gets printed and is delivered to me.

License valid till 2022, carries the original MH04 no., but is a smart card with Bangalore address. Let's see what events unfold in 2022 when it's time to renew

Last edited by ajayclicks : 13th August 2017 at 11:05. Reason: linespacing to make it easier to read
ajayclicks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 13:09   #125
BHPian

Recently got my father's driving license renewed from Andheri RTO in Bombay and received the license via SpeedPost in exactly 15 days!

But, the validity is only of 5 years i.e. till 2022. Is this the norm now?
Old 28th February 2018, 22:34   #126
Senior - BHPian

I have a card (not the smart card) type DL which will expire in December 2018. This was issued in KA04 RTO and I am now at KA03 location. Has anyone had any experience on how to go about the process? I am not able to find my DL details online, it says there are duplicate entries, so I am not exactly sure how to proceed from here.
Old 1st March 2018, 10:47   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I have a card (not the smart card) type DL which will expire in December 2018. This was issued in KA04 RTO and I am now at KA03 location.
Current address usually shouldn't be an issue. Provided you are inside Bangalore City jurisdiction, you can go to any RTO. The tricky part is that they have your data in their systems.

Only problem I foresee for you, is that you have the older plastic card type license. There is a good chance that your DL details may or may not be in the 'database' and for that you will need to go to the RTO that issued your original license. They'll check the old book-records and validate.

I went through this ordeal last year, and unfortunately, they had records of my Car license but no 2 wheeler. After days of searching in the RTO cabinets (yes, they let me in their back room to search among the books myself), there was no entry of my 2 wheeler license. The fact that I've been driving for 20 years was no use, so the renewed license was issued only for the car. I've been lazy enough to postpone getting a 2 wheeler license for over a year now, because I need to get an LL and then a DL as a fresh applicant.

Cest la vie. Its the RTO after all. Luck is the most important factor there! Good luck!
kirans is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 19:32   #128
BHPian

Has any here got the DL renewal done online for KA05 Jayangar RTO?

I have filled in online renewal form and also have got a medical certificate done from a govt. hospital. Do we have to upload the medical certificate online OR just carrying it along with the online application acknowledgement would do? How would one upload the signature?

I have attached below the screenshot of my application. Please help me how to proceed further.
Attached Thumbnails
Driving Licence renewal woes - Medical fitness certificate required!-dl-renewal.png  

Old 12th December 2018, 17:57   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirans View Post
The tricky part is that they have your data in their systems.

Only problem I foresee for you, is that you have the older plastic card type license. There is a good chance that your DL details may or may not be in the 'database' and for that you will need to go to the RTO that issued your original license. They'll check the old book-records and validate.

!
So, I went to the KA03 RTO today, they did not even check, told me to go to the 04 RTO to get the details updated. I went to the 04 RTO, all they asked was for a zerox of the old license, I first went to the ARTO, he signed it with a green ink and asked me to submit it at counter 7. Counter 7 guy took it, told me to come after 7 days, I asked him if there will be any acknowledgement, he said NO, tell your name and they will give you the new number. He had his mouth full with tobacco and told me, I cannot talk too much, come back later

I will wait for 7 days (not sure if it's business days) and then visit next week and hope they have the required details. Will provide more details after my ordeal is completed.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 16:54   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I will wait for 7 days (not sure if it's business days) and then visit next week and hope they have the required details. Will provide more details after my ordeal is completed.
Update 1 - This was a pleasant surprise. So, I knew the format of the new DL number and I was casually checking it online yesterday and my details are now available online as was mentioned in the previous DL, including both the 2W and the 4W part.
I am starting the submission process now and will see how it goes. In my old license, my surname is just an Initial and now all my other official documents have it expanded. I am assuming that shouldn't be an issue, as when I selected Name change also as an option I chose the miscellanies option and said expanding the surname. Does this still need an affidavit? I plan to submit my PAN and AADHAR card for verification purposes.

The next challenge is getting a government doctor to sign the medical certificate. Does anyone know if there is one available at the KA03 RTO premises itself?
Old 24th December 2018, 14:54   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The next challenge is getting a government doctor to sign the medical certificate. Does anyone know if there is one available at the KA03 RTO premises itself?
Update 2 : Visited the KR Puram government hospital (Ground Floor, Room #2), spent about 30 mins there, paid the Doctor Rs.100 and the attender Rs.50 and he touched my pulse and declared me fit. I have uploaded the documents online and now trying to make the payment, but the page isn't loading. Will try till tomorrow, else will go to the RTO counter and pay cash. More to come on this.
Old 27th December 2018, 18:55   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have uploaded the documents online and now trying to make the payment, but the page isn't loading. Will try till tomorrow, else will go to the RTO counter and pay cash. More to come on this.
Update 3 :

Round 1 goes to RTO for making things impossible for common people to navigate through the system to get simple stuff done. I had gone to the RTO today to submit all the documents. The documents were first verified, the lady at the counter in 1st floor asked me what change to the name have I made. I told, I have only expanded my surname, which was an initial. She accepted the documents and asked me to pay the fees. The same story repeated at the fees counter and post which I went to get the bio metrics done. Once that was done, when the final documentation submission was to be done, that guy tells me that name change cannot be accepted, without the ARTO approval.
I went to the ARTO, who was busy talking to a friend and after about 5 mins looks at me and asks me my concern. After I tell him, he says this cannot be done, cancel the application and submit a new one. New license will be issued only as per the old license. I was stunned for a moment, if that was the case, why take the fees in the first place? He said, he will get the challan cancelled and I can submit it again. When I tried to cancel the application, it states, NO REFUND and the whole story now is clear. This money goes to the govt kitty and for a service they haven't offered.
Now, I am redoing that whole exercise again and will see how that goes. More to come on this
Old 1st February 2019, 19:00   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now, I am redoing that whole exercise again and will see how that goes. More to come on this
Update 4 -
On 29th Dec, I submitted a new set of documents, used the old medical certificate with the last name expanded, the address proof also has the last name expanded, paid the fees again, bio metrics done and this time the documents are collected without any questions.
Till 29th Jan, there was no update and on 30th, the documents were verified and on 31st the license is approved for printing. It is waiting to be printed and I am not sure how long this would take. Under the GoK Sakaala scheme, this should be done in 30 working days, and that is on the 5th of Feb, but I am not sure if that applies only till the application is approved/printed/dispatched.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 19:12   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
he says this cannot be done, cancel the application and submit a new one.
Any reason why this cannot be done? So, now you are treated as a new applicant and not a renewed applicant?
Old 2nd February 2019, 17:27   #135
BHPian

Quote:
for making things impossible for common people to navigate through the system to get simple stuff done.
Quote:
Under the GoK Sakaala scheme, this should be done in 30 working days
Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
Any reason why this cannot be done?
There is a 1987 Kannada film by name "Tabarana Kathe" which won many awards. The gist of the story is (from Wikipedia) :

Quote:
Tabarana Kathe is the story of Tabara Shetty, a government servant in the ranks of a watchman. Tabara Shetty serves the government till his retirement. He is a dedicated worker and respects the system that sustained him for so long. But problems emerge after his retirement.

Tabara never gets his pension money. In his failing old age, Tabara approaches the officials he had served. Except for a few sympathisers, nobody helps Tabara get his pension. Matters worsen when his wife and only companion falls sick with diabetes. She has a sore foot which turns to gangrene. Tabara tries all means to get his pension to treat his wife. After a few months, his wife dies. The pension money arrives after that. Tabara curses his higher officials and the system which ruined his life.
Watch the movie - it also has English subtitles, in case you cannot understand Kannada.

Just could not resist posting when I read about your woes. This is The System

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks