Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2014, 13:08   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
What is the OTR price that one should expect for the car for a 2015 purchase?
The current ex-showroom price of the vehicle is 34.93 lacs.
BANDHAV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2014, 17:57   #122
Senior - BHPian

re: The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!

Good news for those who had pre-booked the DC Avanti - deliveries of the first lot of cars will commence in January 2015!

Link to news article
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2014, 00:02   #123
BHPian

Seeing the latest undisguised photos, I must admit its not that bad and looks quite good from the front
Old 23rd October 2014, 12:08   #124
Senior - BHPian

Looks okayish to me, the rear badly needs a spoiler and blacked out rear lights would be great too! can some photoshop gurus do their magic and show DC what more can be done? If it was priced around 25L it would have been good VFM, considering the fact that it has only 2.0L engine.
Old 23rd October 2014, 15:03   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Looks okayish to me, the rear badly needs a spoiler and blacked out rear lights would be great too! can some photoshop gurus do their magic and show DC what more can be done? If it was priced around 25L it would have been good VFM, considering the fact that it has only 2.0L engine.

Well, I did manage to convert this..
The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!-img20141021wa0007.jpg

into this...
The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs!-pp.jpg

Much better crowd puller now
createrkid is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 00:11   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The capacity of the engine does not matter as much as the output.

In the EcoSport, the the 1 liter 3-pot EcoBoost engine is tuned for economy and makes 120 odd horsepower. The Avanti is supposedly powered by a 2 liter 4-pot EcoBoost engine which makes twice as much as the EcoBoost EcoSport. Not only would it be more refined, it should pack quite a punch. BMW's 328i is powered by a 2 liter engine making around the same power and it's pretty quick.

Downsizing is the new trend. Even Formula 1 cars are now powered by much smaller turbocharged V6 motors.

Going by the estimated ex-showroom price-tag, it will be 40 lakhs on the road. That's a bit steep for a home-grown sports car with 240 odd horses. Long term fit / finish may be questionable and so will be the ride / handling in the face of sports-car competition I presume. DC is not an established sports-car maker, he's merely testing the waters with this product. But you wouldn't get anything else in that price range that's can deliver on power / unless you look in the used sports-car market.
Old 24th October 2014, 08:28   #127
BHPian

American supercar producer Triton SuperCars has released additional information and new pictures for its first model – the Nemesis.

Is it just me or does the nemesis looks eerily similar to the Avanti?!
Attached Images

Last edited by Rehaan : 27th October 2014 at 12:24. Reason: Removing double picture
Old 24th October 2014, 09:40   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Going by the estimated ex-showroom price-tag, it will be 40 lakhs on the road. That's a bit steep for a home-grown sports car with 240 odd horses. Long term fit / finish may be questionable and so will be the ride / handling in the face of sports-car competition I presume. DC is not an established sports-car maker, he's merely testing the waters with this product. But you wouldn't get anything else in that price range that's can deliver on power / unless you look in the used sports-car market.
Sorry for not making my point clear, my reference to the displacement was about the car being not powerful enough to be called a sports car, there are hot hatchbacks which can spank this car even in a drag race. Even Audi's 3.0L TDI puts out similar power with tons of torque.

We want made-in-India sports car so that enthusiast can finally afford a powerful petrol car, this car is exactly opposite of that! overpriced and underpowered. DC should take a leaf out of Bajaj's strategy in making performance machines(KTM series bikes).
Old 24th October 2014, 10:21   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The capacity of the engine does not matter as much as the output.

In the EcoSport, the the 1 liter 3-pot EcoBoost engine is tuned for economy and makes 120 odd horsepower. The Avanti is supposedly powered by a 2 liter 4-pot EcoBoost engine which makes twice as much as the EcoBoost EcoSport. Not only would it be more refined, it should pack quite a punch. BMW's 328i is powered by a 2 liter engine making around the same power and it's pretty quick.
There is a rumour about a Honda V6 engine going into the Avant some time in the future isnt there? Producing well over 300BHP?! That should be worth a few thrills.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 17:45   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry for not making my point clear, my reference to the displacement was about the car being not powerful enough to be called a sports car, there are hot hatchbacks which can spank this car even in a drag race. Even Audi's 3.0L TDI puts out similar power with tons of torque.

We want made-in-India sports car so that enthusiast can finally afford a powerful petrol car, this car is exactly opposite of that! overpriced and underpowered. DC should take a leaf out of Bajaj's strategy in making performance machines(KTM series bikes).
I'm sorry but in what universe is a turbocharged 240 horsepower engine under-powered? Have you driven anything with more than 200 horsepower extensively? And yes there are dozens of hot-hatches that make as much, if not more power. But are they sold here? I'm afraid not.

Audi sells the 2 liter TT in India that makes 200 odd horsepower. Would that make it any less of a sports-car? Toyota / Subaru recently co-developed a sports-car with a naturally aspirated 200-horsepower engine. It's still a hoot going by qualified drivers who've reviewed the car. Porsche will be down-sizing the engines in their Boxters and Caymans shortly and you could expect them to have 200-240 horsepower.

Outright power is not everything in a sports-car. In a super-car, maybe? But in a sports-car, what really matters is nimbleness and handling.

I've been driving a petrol sedan with nearly 180 horsepower and I've found at times, that it's a bit much! As far as I'm concerned, 240 horsepower is plenty for a home-grown sports-car, considering that the only 'sports-car' India could boast of was the San Storm. And the lesser said about it, the better.

Hope this makes things clear.
suhaas307 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th October 2014, 20:22   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm sorry but in what universe is a turbocharged 240 horsepower engine under-powered? Have you driven anything with more than 200 horsepower extensively? And yes there are dozens of hot-hatches that make as much, if not more power. But are they sold here? I'm afraid not.

Outright power is not everything in a sports-car. In a super-car, maybe? But in a sports-car, what really matters is nimbleness and handling.

Hope this makes things clear.
I am pretty sure the term sports car is not well defined, my definition of it might be different, but that doesn't mean I am wrong
Old 24th October 2014, 23:22   #132
BHPian

I think the Avanti is a pretty good achievement as far as home grown cars go but I just don't think its going to be a decent enough sports car. A sports car should all be about focus, isn't it? But I suspect this car is anything but that!

Three things I find to be very disturbing about this car.

First of all , there is the kerb weight. 1600 kilos is a bit too porky for a sports car! Especially since it is claimed that carbon fiber has been used throughout the car!! Is Indian Carbon Fibre just pig iron in disguise?

Then there is the motor- There is not enough power for the kind of money they are asking for it. They should have given it a 3.5 v6 from a Honda or a Toyota for the price they are asking now ( 35 lakhs ex showroom). Proper high revving N/A V6 would have made it a much more exciting proposition, especially in the sound department. And since its from Japan, its bound to be reliable and people won't have much doubts about it.

And third, they say it is tuned for everyday use. Just got a gut feeling, that despite its looks, its actually intended to be more of a comfy cruiser than a proper sports car.

So in my mind I think DC, even though they say that the Avanti is a sports car, is actually trying to sell us a decent enough performing , comfortable cruiser whose sole usp is that it looks like nothing else on the road (that can either be a good thing or a bad thing, depending upon the person).

If that is the case, I rather have a 328i. I seriously cannot fathom why anybody else won't be thinking the same as well.
nakul0888 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th October 2014, 00:33   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
If that is the case, I rather have a 328i. I seriously cannot fathom why anybody else won't be thinking the same as well.
I think the avantis biggest competition in india will be from mid size european sedans from a price pov. in the case of the 328i, with the brand name and functionality (4 doors, boot space etc) swinging the bimmers way, the avanti will really have to shine performance wise to draw potential customers away from the Bimmer and other european sedans. the overall performance remains, imo, the biggest variable here, although i remember reading somewhere that the chassis is based on a Noble design.. some of you could shed some light on this..

regarding fit and finish, DC has been into the luxury interior business for quite a while (celebrity mobile homes and remodelled interiors), and seeing his work on the w222 S500 up north (the gorgeous amg kitted one repainted a Deep blue), and the (in)famous gallardo based Sesto elemento, i have a feeling paint quality, body panels, and interiors will be of a reasonably good quality..

and another thing it possible has going for it, is that the 2 litre ecoboost is immensely tunable.. just look up Cobb tuning and youll know what i mean i feel its a matter of time before a brave owner knocks on Racetechs door, to pave the way for other Avanti tuners follow suit and pave the way for possibly a really potent little car..

so while i doubt it will set any sub 8 min Nurburgring laptimes, i feel i could be intersting to say the least

needless to say, all potential avanti owners (including our very own Golfpro) are taking a bit of a gamble, which i sincerely hope pays off for them

I really have my fingers crossed for the success of the avanti for a variety of reasons!!

Cheers

Last edited by bivin : 25th October 2014 at 00:45.
bivin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2014, 15:36   #134
Senior - BHPian

^^The ecoboost has been ditched long back in favor of 2.0 Renault unit, the same one which does duty in Megane RS.
BANDHAV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2014, 17:36   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
^^The ecoboost has been ditched long back in favor of 2.0 Renault unit, the same one which does duty in Megane RS.
thanks was not aware of that.. coincidentally, the 2 litre RS engine is also highly tunable..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks