Team-BHP - Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/103024-triumph-motorcycles-enter-india-edit-now-launched-pg-48-a-45.html)

Man, no Scrambler, what a shame! I wanted one for riding the hills! As for differences between the Std. Bonnie and T100, bunch of you folks have already given most of the answers. I sat on them at the Triumph/Ducati dealer in New York last year and the immediate difference I felt was height. The Std with smaller wheels sits slightly lower than the T100. Reviewers and people who've ridden both also say the Std. mag-wheel Bonnie is ever so easier to maneuver and handle than the taller spoke-wheel T100. I owned an older Std. Bonnie, a 2006 model, with same wheel size (spoked wheels) as current T100s and ran on carburetors - pre-EFI and pre-mag wheels - and I must say, coming from an Enfield Bullet background, it didn't take me much to get used to it at all - heavier, peppier and more powerful of course! Styling-wise the mag-wheels resemble 1970s style Bonnies, while the T100 is designed to channel the spirit of the 1960s. I like the T100 styling better and if Triumph isn't going to bring the Scrambler to the Indian market, will probably go for the T100 in the near-future (fingers crossed!)

Also, 2014 models are supposed to come with slightly louder, throatier-sounding exhausts from the factory itself. Otherwise that was one of the biggest complaints from Bonnie riders in the US - the weak, "sewing-machine" sounding exhaust note. Many opted to change to aftermarket pipes. I changed the stock pipes on my '06 to British Customs' Predator kit, as well as removing airbox, etc. and boy! what a difference that made to the sound as well as adding a few extra horses worth of punch, so worth it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6 (Post 3299884)
Dealership for Bombay appointed as well.

Shaman Motors has got the dealership for Bombay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grplr02 (Post 3300084)
Man, no Scrambler, what a shame! I wanted one for riding the hills!.I like the T100 styling better and if Triumph isn't going to bring the Scrambler to the Indian market, will probably go for the T100 in the near-future (fingers crossed!)

Triumph will get its entire range eventually to India. The models announced right now are just for the launch and to get the ball rolling.

Hello Folks,

grplr02 - I had the only Scrambler in the entire GCC. It is a blast to ride. It will handle tarmac and also gravel tracks. My only complaint was the Bridgestone Trailwing tyres. The wild persona got a boost when Michelin tyres were put into service after 20K kilometers. In my opinion, the scrambler with its higher ground clearance, dual purpose tyres, 270 degree firing order is a better bike for India. However, the populace will have concerns with the hi-level pipes.

I echo your concerns for the sound.

My friend and rider (Mr Ram) has not changed his muffler.

I had TORS on my Scrambler after replacing my original mufflers.

On my Thruxton, I had D&Ds finally, after replacing a pair of British Custom predators from a standard pair.

The Indian motorcycling scene is changing and it is changing fast indeed.

While the Scrambler was loads of fun, the Thruxton was mad as a box of frogs.

Lets see how this story unfolds.

Regards,

BB

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedy (Post 3300247)
Shaman Motors has got the dealership for Bombay.

Yes I knew that but didn't want to reveal just yet because they will start getting unnecessary calls, mainly from time wasters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedy (Post 3300247)
Triumph will get its entire range eventually to India. The models announced right now are just for the launch and to get the ball rolling.

Thanks! That's wonderful to hear. It'll probably be a while before I'm set to buy a Triumph in India so a bit of a wait is fine by me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Britishbangers (Post 3300479)
Hello Folks,

grplr02 - I had the only Scrambler in the entire GCC. It is a blast to ride. It will handle tarmac and also gravel tracks. My only complaint was the Bridgestone Trailwing tyres. The wild persona got a boost when Michelin tyres were put into service after 20K kilometers. In my opinion, the scrambler with its higher ground clearance, dual purpose tyres, 270 degree firing order is a better bike for India. However, the populace will have concerns with the hi-level pipes.

I echo your concerns for the sound.

My friend and rider (Mr Ram) has not changed his muffler.

I had TORS on my Scrambler after replacing my original mufflers.

On my Thruxton, I had D&Ds finally, after replacing a pair of British Custom predators from a standard pair.

The Indian motorcycling scene is changing and it is changing fast indeed.

While the Scrambler was loads of fun, the Thruxton was mad as a box of frogs.

Lets see how this story unfolds.

Regards,

BB

I really like the Thruxtons - once in a while I ride with a bunch of guys in New York, several of whom own Thruxtons, one with D&D pipes, they're super neat & so stylish, very popular in the city. Back home I'll mostly be in the Eastern Himalayas (where I'm from) and your experience with the Scrambler echoes what I understand about them - I think they'll be most appropriate for the environment I'll be in, already thinking about the mods :D 2-into-1 Arrow pipes perhaps? Will look into the tires too. Not too worried about the high-pipes, they look way cool!

And yes, very happy to see the changing Indian motorcycling scene - back in my college days in Delhi it was all cast-iron Bullets, yezdis/jawas, Japanese 100ccs, and the holy grail RD350! So much more choices now & more to come! clap:

May be Slightly OT - But its about a man's relation to his Triumph - so it would be of interest to the potential Triump Owners

I am attaching the scan of a news paper article.
Triumph motorcycles to enter India. Edit: Now Launched Pg. 48-triumph-tiger-53-theft.jpg

Two things touched me from the story
  1. The perseverence of the Investigators - Keeping track of a USD 300 Motorocycle for 46 years and recovering and reuniting it with the original owner - Remarkable !!!
  2. The first reaction of DeVault - the owner - Take it for a spin !!! at 73 years of age clap:
This is the typical reaction a "Triumph" evokes in a man, who loves his motor cycles

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

PS: By the way - 1st new gen Bonnie has been registered in Bangalore (and probably in India) - I GOT MY REGISTRATION CARD TODAY:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by r_nairtvm (Post 3301078)
Two things touched me from the story
  1. The perseverence of the Investigators - Keeping track of a USD 300 Motorocycle for 46 years and recovering and reuniting it with the original owner - Remarkable !!!
  2. The first reaction of DeVault - the owner - Take it for a spin !!! at 73 years of age clap:
This is the typical reaction a "Triumph" evokes in a man, who loves his motor cycles

Lovely story Ram!

Though as an Indian, albeit a bit on the cynical side, another thing actually struck me first above all else.

50 years later a stolen bike still carrying its original chassis and engine number! :uncontrol

An endearing story Ram. Simply Beautiful

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3301117)
50 years later a stolen bike still carrying its original chassis and engine number!

In india, it would have done multiple rounds of number transformations from every part of the bike :D

Hello Folks,

Mr Ram -Yes, great story there. Congratulations on the registration, finally it is over and the powers that be, have succumbed to your relentless follow up!

Ebonho & mobike008 - I echo your sentiments, in India, the numbers on the engine and chassis would have been changed. However, while I was involved in the Classic & Vintage biking scene, I had access to chassis & engine numbers and also to shipping / dealer details for BSA, Triumph and a few other marques.

So, it is still possible to check the credentials of bike vis-a-vis the chassis and engine numbers therein.

All bets are off in case the chassis and engine numbers are copied from a legitimate bike.

Regards,

BB

Quote:

Originally Posted by Britishbangers (Post 3301599)
Hello Folks,

Mr Ram -Yes, great story there. Congratulations on the registration, finally it is over and the powers that be, have succumbed to your relentless follow up!

Ebonho & mobike008 - I echo your sentiments, in India, the numbers on the engine and chassis would have been changed. However, while I was involved in the Classic & Vintage biking scene, I had access to chassis & engine numbers and also to shipping / dealer details for BSA, Triumph and a few other marques.

So, it is still possible to check the credentials of bike vis-a-vis the chassis and engine numbers therein.

All bets are off in case the chassis and engine numbers are copied from a legitimate bike.

Regards,
BB

The worst kept secret in biking circles (both grey market SBK as well as Vintage) in India is the ease with which you can get an insurance write off and use its numbers on another bike and happily ride around all over the countryside. Its almost an industry here, definitely way above cottage levels when you see the market cap involved, with cross state networks working together like well oiled machinery.

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6 (Post 3300732)
Yes I knew that but didn't want to reveal just yet because they will start getting unnecessary calls, mainly from time wasters.

In that case one should not take a dealership as not every call made for inquiries are from serious buyers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by r_nairtvm (Post 3301078)
May be Slightly OT - But its about a man's relation to his Triumph - so it would be of interest to the potential Triump Owners.

Its wonderful to see people being reunited with their beauties. clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3301117)
50 years later a stolen bike still carrying its original chassis and engine number! :uncontrol

In India people only see marques, price they are paying and nothing else, while abroad the history is also looked into. Thats the reason if the chassis no or engine no is tampered with the vehicle however rare or historic looses value. All records pertaining to the vehicle, like manufacturing date, shipping details, first owner details etc are all lost.

Another 3 days to go, lets see what Triumph has got for us, lots of hopes are there with them.

Iam given to understand there is an improved FI version of the Bonneville in 2014 model.

Is that what is going to be sold in India or we are yet again going to be treated as dustbin for their outgoing products?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3302661)
Iam given to understand there is an improved FI version of the Bonneville in 2014 model.

Is that what is going to be sold in India or we are yet again going to be treated as dustbin for their outgoing products?

I presume the bikes would be the 2014 models and not the 2013 ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by speedy (Post 3302695)
I presume the bikes would be the 2014 models and not the 2013 ones.

Hmm. Even I expect the same considering the time of launch.

But, I was looking to understand if we get the same improved engine ( Iam not even sure if there is even an improved FI engine for 2014 model, just someone casually mentioned so wanting to know on that aspect)