Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2012, 12:57   #76
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: *Strong Rumour* : KTM Duke 690 around Diwali

Why would someone go for a KTM690 @ 6L instead of N 650 @ 5? (unless a die-hard KTM fan). A recent review of the NEW N650 claims it to be much refined and improved over the previous. have seen a few pics of 2011 N650 With fairing removed, and it passes as a decent naked as well.

For KMT 350, even considering a totally new platform, i doubt the justification of price hovering around 3L, especially when manufactured locally. :(

KTM 200 already has LC, DOHC, EFI, ECU, USD, casted SA, trellis, etc etc, all relatively modern tech/features. What new could be thrown in 350 to escalate the cost to more then double? considering the fact that it still belongs to DUKE family. Even the Duke 690 is not all that different in looks and features when compared to 200, except for smaller things like HID over halogen. ( i am not comparing the two bike, only from point of basic tech and type of parts that gone in the bike).

For me, KTM 200 makes much more sense at 1.2L then KTM 350 @ +-3L.
Shall wait for some time to get more clarity on the price & wish for around 2L.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 22:05   #77
BHPian

From a cost-to-manufacture standpoint, yes, the KTM 350 should be less than 3L, however, you should consider how they will be positioning it within their own product lineup.

Based on the projected power figures, the KTM 350 will be atleast 20% more powerful and being a single will have much more torque so will be more useable in the city. And if they retain the short wheel-base of the KTM 200, it will remain more flickable than the baby ninja (I'm sure this will be a point of contention).

Keeping this in mind, why would they price it less than the Ninja?
Old 30th August 2012, 11:41   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
Keeping this in mind, why would they price it less than the Ninja?
Because the 350 is essentially their bike and they would want to sell many more of it than what they manage with the Ninja

The market finds its own level in a non-monopoly situation.

Where "cheap" or "optimally priced" or "costly" are dependent on customer's perception and need not be based on logic or manufacturing reality, and where a brand's aspirational value would take a product only thus far and no further.

Last edited by ebonho : 30th August 2012 at 11:45.
Old 31st August 2012, 21:43   #79
BHPian

I guess Motul are anticipating an early release for the KTM 350.. they have listed the recommended oil for the bike in the flyer that came along with Autocar.*Strong Rumour* : KTM Duke 690 around Diwali-picture-013.jpg

Last edited by anilupadhya : 31st August 2012 at 22:11.
anilupadhya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2012, 22:15   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilupadhya View Post
I guess Motul are anticipating an early release for the KTM 350.. they have listed the recommended oil for the bike in the flyer that came along with Autocar.Attachment 979129
Great catch ! I have been speaking to KTM dealers to book a Ninja 650 and now 3 of them have confirmed to the availability of KTM 350 very soon though the "very soon" seems to vary from 3 to 6 months.
Old 2nd September 2012, 09:33   #81
MHG
BHPian

A quick glance through one of KTM's site will tell that they ALREADY have 4-stroke engines of 250cc, 350cc, 450cc and 500cc - all this in their Enduro range, while the only Duke models being manufactured are 125, 200 and 690. Would the same Enduro engines be reused in the upcoming Dukes like 350 ?

PS: India needs Fully Faired KTMs, not naked bikes
Old 3rd September 2012, 15:03   #82
Senior - BHPian

Ok for those who are waiting for the 690 the news is not so good sadly.

Bajaj just does not see volumes happening in that segment for them to get involved at whatever level in-house in India.

And at the cost it retails abroad, and the current exchange weakness, they are going to find it very difficult to price the bike anything less than 8 lacs.

So does not look like the 690 is happening anytime soon. (Bajaj is aware of the discussion on price happening here ....)

On the other hand the news on the 350 is very good.

The engine is supposed to be a real stonker. And the price is going to be very nice (maybe sub 2 Lacs).

It is going to be the same platform as the Duke 125/200, but look a little different.

A pure street bike. And will come with alloy rims.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 16:44   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

So does not look like the 690 is happening anytime soon. (Bajaj is aware of the discussion on price happening here ....)

The engine is supposed to be a real stonker. And the price is going to be very nice (maybe sub 2 Lacs).

It is going to be the same platform as the Duke 125/200, but look a little different.

That's bad news about the 690. However the sub 2 lakh pricing for the 350 one has got me salivating.

THIS PART IS OT.( Sorry couldn't help. The excitement got better of me)
That would be a killer pricing on two counts. In itself the Duke 350 at sub 2 lakh levels is a wonderful offering, but where does that leave the pulsar 350. It is almost certain the duke will be followed by a similar specd pulsar. Considering the fact that Pulsar 200NS is around 25% cheaper than the duke 200, we can expect a 1.5 lakh pricetag on the pulsar 350. That puts it at just a striking distance away from Duke 200. A modern 350 at 1.5 lakhs would be great. Bajaj may consider adding a fairing to the pulsar and price it around 1.6 - 1.7 lakh to give it some space from the duke 200 and some sort of product differentiation.
Also how about a 350cc avenger. The mill may not be an ideal engine for a cruiser, but still.. Being an avenger 220 owner, I have become a fan of it. A 350 cc would take the fight on to the Enfield TBTS.

Sorry once again for going OT.

Cheers

Last edited by vibbs : 3rd September 2012 at 16:46.
Old 3rd September 2012, 17:01   #84
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
Ok for those who are waiting for the 690 the news is not so good sadly.

Bajaj just does not see volumes happening in that segment for them to get involved at whatever level in-house in India.

And at the cost it retails abroad, and the current exchange weakness, they are going to find it very difficult to price the bike anything less than 8 lacs.

Certainly makes sense

India has never been as big a market for big bikes like Europe and more accessible street bikes would be preferred here.

Quote:

Same platform as the Duke 125/200 meaning the same basic frame/chassis ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
That's bad news about the 690. However the sub 2 lakh pricing for the 350 one has got me salivating.

THIS PART IS OT.( Sorry couldn't help. The excitement got better of me)
That would be a killer pricing on two counts. In itself the Duke 350 at sub 2 lakh levels is a wonderful offering, but where does that leave the pulsar 350. It is almost certain the duke will be followed by a similar specd pulsar. Considering the fact that Pulsar 200NS is around 25% cheaper than the duke 200, we can expect a 1.5 lakh pricetag on the pulsar 350. That puts it at just a striking distance away from Duke 200. A modern 350 at 1.5 lakhs would be great. Bajaj may consider adding a fairing to the pulsar and price it around 1.6 - 1.7 lakh to give it some space from the duke 200 and some sort of product differentiation.
Also how about a 350cc avenger. The mill may not be an ideal engine for a cruiser, but still.. Being an avenger 220 owner, I have become a fan of it. A 350 cc would take the fight on to the Enfield TBTS.

Sorry once again for going OT.

Cheers
An OT reply to an OT post:

I'd personally love to see the Pulsar 200NS (or better, Duke 200) engine on the Avenger first
Old 3rd September 2012, 18:00   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
THIS PART IS OT.( Sorry couldn't help. The excitement got better of me) That would be a killer pricing on two counts. In itself the Duke 350 at sub 2 lakh levels is a wonderful offering, but where does that leave the pulsar 350. It is almost certain the duke will be followed by a similar specd pulsar. Considering the fact that Pulsar 200NS is around 25% cheaper than the duke 200, we can expect a 1.5 lakh pricetag on the pulsar 350. That puts it at just a striking distance away from Duke 200. A modern 350 at 1.5 lakhs would be great. Bajaj may consider adding a fairing to the pulsar and price it around 1.6 - 1.7 lakh to give it some space from the duke 200 and some sort of product differentiation.
Personally I would buy the Duke 200 over the Pulsar 350, or stretch a bit more and buy the KTM 350.

In marketing parlance, such price stratification is called pull-push.

Quote:
The Duke 200 has taken the fight beyond and out of Royal Enfield. Anything more would be overkill unless Royal Enfield now ups its game.

On the Avenger bit ..... naaaah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Same platform as the Duke 125/200 meaning the same basic frame/chassis ?
The Duke 125/200 are over-engineered on chassis and brake and suspension bits and over-tyred. They could take a 350 motor with a few tweaks.

Quote:
An OT reply to an OT post:

I'd personally love to see the Pulsar 200NS (or better, Duke 200) engine on the Avenger first
Again ..... equally personally ...... naah!
Old 3rd September 2012, 18:10   #86
Senior - BHPian

Uh oh Doc! This is the saddest news on the Duke front! :-( No 690 - means I will have to look beyond Bajaj to satisfy my hunger for the next upgrade. The thing that makes it worse are:

Ninja - Still exhorbitant and faired!
Ducati - No signs of it reviving operations in Bangalore
HD - (don't kill me for me this folks) - I've never been a HD fan (except for it being on my Zippo)

What other options do we have? :(

All my dreams of 690 shattered! Boohoo doc! lol
Old 3rd September 2012, 18:16   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Uh oh Doc! This is the saddest news on the Duke front! :-( No 690 - means I will have to look beyond Bajaj to satisfy my hunger for the next upgrade. The thing that makes it worse are:

Ninja - Still exhorbitant and faired!
Ducati - No signs of it reviving operations in Bangalore
HD - (don't kill me for me this folks) - I've never been a HD fan (except for it being on my Zippo)

What other options do we have? :(

All my dreams of 690 shattered! Boohoo doc! lol
Ya well, never say never bro.

Just telling you what I heard yesterday.

You don't think a 350 will be an upgrade over our 200s? Cmon .... !
Old 3rd September 2012, 18:20   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ya well, never say never bro.

Just telling you what I heard yesterday.

You don't think a 350 will be an upgrade over our 200s? Cmon .... !
With no disrespect to you or others - I am unable to convince myself that 350 is an upgrade over 200

And as you put it - Never say Never - who know once it comes out (or about to come out) - this perception could change.
Old 3rd September 2012, 18:54   #89
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
The Duke 125/200 are over-engineered on chassis and brake and suspension bits and over-tyred. They could take a 350 motor with a few tweaks.
Oh... But I do hope the 350 motor is a bit more civilized, since tuning it for pure city usage (like 200) with uber jerky acceleration would be such an overkill. I hope its a nice tourer friendly motor.

PS: Is the engine the same as that in 350 enduro ?
Old 3rd September 2012, 19:02   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
Oh... But I do hope the 350 motor is a bit more civilized, since tuning it for pure city usage (like 200) with uber jerky acceleration would be such an overkill. I hope its a nice tourer friendly motor.
I so strongly pray and wish for the opposite!

Anways, its a bike man. With a throttle that is controlled by you. It will do what your wrist asks it to do.

Quote:
PS: Is the engine the same as that in 350 enduro ?
I am praying its the 46 bhp SXC and not the 26 bhp Freeride - both 350s.

It may be a completely different motor altogether also.

Lets wait and see.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks