Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2012, 17:55   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: *Strong Rumour* : KTM Duke 690 around Diwali

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Ok for those who are waiting for the 690 the news is not so good sadly.

Bajaj just does not see volumes happening in that segment for them to get involved at whatever level in-house in India.

And at the cost it retails abroad, and the current exchange weakness, they are going to find it very difficult to price the bike anything less than 8 lacs.

So does not look like the 690 is happening anytime soon. (Bajaj is aware of the discussion on price happening here ....)

On the other hand the news on the 350 is very good.

The engine is supposed to be a real stonker. And the price is going to be very nice (maybe sub 2 Lacs).

It is going to be the same platform as the Duke 125/200, but look a little different.

A pure street bike. And will come with alloy rims.
Ok! So, that should keep me happy. As I said earlier, a 'beefier looking' 350 should do the trick for me. Since I am looking to spend close to 15-17 lakhs on my long impending car (in a few months time), I will certainly be cash strapped by the time this baby comes along.

Also, are you suggesting that Bajaj doesn't really have any concrete plans to launch the 690 at all. Coz I know for sure that they are not stupid enough to launch it at 8 lakhs

Nice to know that we have Bajaj's attention Speaks volumes about the quality of the Forum, especially while talking about a bike because despite whatever we say, t-bhp is essentially an 'car focused' forum.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 5th September 2012 at 17:57.
Old 5th October 2012, 01:53   #92
Senior - BHPian

Wohooooo!

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/317....aspx#comments Rajiv Bajaj confirms the Pulsar 375. Which in turn means that its 'half sibling that will be born earlier' will hit the shores before it. It also seems to confirm Doc's theory that the KTM will indeed be a 375 cc machine that will be badged 390. With this news confirmed, I expect the KTM Duke 390 to hit the showrooms maybe as early as first half (first quarter) 2013.

BTW, somebody started a thread on the Pulsar 375 news : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...sar-375-a.html

Punjabi munde paao bhangra(Punjabi guys perform dance)
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 12:43   #93
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Visit this thread almost everyday in anticipation of some 'good news' about the duke 350/390, only to be dissapointed.
Do share any recent news / developments/ leaked info etc, even rumours will do.
Old 17th October 2012, 19:52   #94
Senior - BHPian

No news on 350/390, but i sure have some hot juicy news about 690. The release is around the corner. How far or long is the corner, I don't know!

the reason I say this - my contact who was Pune for a training, was shown a 690 after ensuring that all mobiles were confiscated so that nobody clicks a picture.

The technicians will begin training on the 690 by December 2012. So let the speculations flow about the release.
Shubz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2012, 09:35   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
No news on 350/390, but i sure have some hot juicy news about 690. The release is around the corner. How far or long is the corner, I don't know!

the reason I say this - my contact who was Pune for a training, was shown a 690 after ensuring that all mobiles were confiscated so that nobody clicks a picture.

The technicians will begin training on the 690 by December 2012. So let the speculations flow about the release.
Shubz thanks very much for this encouraging news. I am sure like me there are others waiting and following this thread for any updates. wow 690! i would truly be able to attain riding nirvana
Old 18th October 2012, 10:59   #96
Senior - BHPian

Any other indicators Shubz - specifically expected price?

Are you sure the 690 is in pre-launch? Cause there are two 990s at Akurdi as well, been floating around for the past year+.

Anything on the 350?

I am pretty certain the 690, if it actually does make it, will be in the 7-8 Lac region though. A pure import.
Old 18th October 2012, 11:57   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any other indicators Shubz - specifically expected price?

Are you sure the 690 is in pre-launch? Cause there are two 990s at Akurdi as well, been floating around for the past year+.

Anything on the 350?

I am pretty certain the 690, if it actually does make it, will be in the 7-8 Lac region though. A pure import.
The person who saw the vehicle isn't a novice who could be confused. even I asked him if he was sure if it was a 690. The answer was in the affirmative. He said he even started the bike and the sound is awesome.

No news on the 350 though. No indication on price either. There will not be many takers if it priced at 7-8 lakhs (my personal opinion)
Old 18th October 2012, 12:32   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The person who saw the vehicle isn't a novice who could be confused. even I asked him if he was sure if it was a 690. The answer was in the affirmative. He said he even started the bike and the sound is awesome.
I was not doubting the credentials of the person, or if it was the 690 he saw.

I was asking about are you sure the 690 was pre-launch and not just a test R&D mule like others at Akurdi (990s) that have been around for quite some time.

Quote:
No indication on price either. There will not be many takers if it priced at 7-8 lakhs (my personal opinion)
I agree. Which is why I am not very confident that Bajaj would really go ahead with the 690 unless they see the numbers and then additionally work out an indegenisation strategy.
Old 18th October 2012, 12:35   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was not doubting the credentials of the person, or if it was the 690 he saw.

I was asking about are you sure the 690 was pre-launch and not just a test R&D mule like others at Akurdi (990s) that have been around for quite some time.

I agree. Which is why I am not very confident that Bajaj would really go ahead with the 690 unless they see the numbers and then additionally work out an indegenisation strategy.
He was pretty much sure it was the 690 along with Ninja 300/400 lined up too. The coming year should see a few products roll out of Akurdi. Fingers crossed! But I still yearn for a IL4 in the 400/600 range
Old 18th October 2012, 12:50   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He was pretty much sure it was the 690
Shubz that's still not what I am either doubting or asking. Many of us here have seen the 690 as well.

I am specifically interested in knowing whether Bajaj is actually launching it, because that's what I assumed from your first post where you said that this guy is going for training on the bike in December.

If yes, then this can only mean a niche "flagship" type of launch as an arrangement with KTM - like what they have for the Ninjas with Kawasaki.

But this was not what I heard when I spoke to someone really high up in the pecking order fairly recently (I think I mentioned the same here as well).

Cause they do not see anyway to bringing it in at less than the 7-8 Lac bracket thanks to the weak rupee.
Old 18th October 2012, 13:16   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shubz that's still not what I am either doubting or asking. Many of us here have seen the 690 as well.

I am specifically interested in knowing whether Bajaj is actually launching it, because that's what I assumed from your first post where you said that this guy is going for training on the bike in December.

If yes, then this can only mean a niche "flagship" type of launch as an arrangement with KTM - like what they have for the Ninjas with Kawasaki.

But this was not what I heard when I spoke to someone really high up in the pecking order fairly recently (I think I mentioned the same here as well).

Cause they do not see anyway to bringing it in at less than the 7-8 Lac bracket thanks to the weak rupee.
If he is going for a training, it better be for an impending launch. Else do you think BAL would spend money on training the folks? And I am sure he is not the only guy who will be trained.

I asked specifically if they are launching it, If yes, when? The answer was Yes they are, sometime in 2013.

I will continue to dig for more info.
Old 18th October 2012, 20:48   #102
BHPian

A very reliable source has told me that the Duke 990 is going to come on display soon in certain probiking showrooms and will go on sale shortly thereafter. No clue about the price.
Old 19th October 2012, 07:53   #103
BHPian

It is highly likely then that KTM is going to sell 690 and 990 as pure imports with a view to slowly increase localization to reduce the prices once the market matures.

They already have service infrastructure setup so whatever small volumes they can sell would add to their revenue.
Old 19th October 2012, 08:06   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
A very reliable source has told me that the Duke 990 is going to come on display soon in certain probiking showrooms and will go on sale shortly thereafter. No clue about the price.
I can confirm this. KTM set up a stall on my office premises and they mentioned they would be receiving a 990 for display purposes at the Adyar Pro-biking showroom in Chennai.
Old 19th October 2012, 14:18   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonk View Post
I can confirm this. KTM set up a stall on my office premises and they mentioned they would be receiving a 990 for display purposes at the Adyar Pro-biking showroom in Chennai.
That's great news. The showroom is very close to my daily commute and I would sure as hell like to see the 990 in flesh. Any idea on when the display bike will arrive?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks