Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2012, 16:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

*Strong Rumour* : KTM Duke 690 around Diwali

Guys,

During my various conversations with KTM dealers across Delhi NCR region, all of them have confirmed that KTM will be launching the Duke 690 around Diwali time.

Interesting bit is that most of them seem to hint at a sub 4 lakh pricing for the bike (optimistic even for a CKD). One dealer even suggested 3.25-3.5 starting (which I find hard to believe). But all of them seem to agree that there is no way Bajaj(KTM) is going to go to the market trying to compete with Ducati (read Monster) or upcoming Triumph (read Street Triple) on price. KTM is most likely expected to undercut its rivals by a considerable margin.

There is no clear news on the upcoming Duke 350/375; though in all probability it will be slated for a mid next year launch (at maybe around 2 lacs). That will be a completely 'in house' (Bajaj/KTM collab and developed completely at Bajaj plant in India)

Although I am personally in no hurry to buy a bike (I'm more of a car guy), I will be looking to re-ignite my biking wonder years within a years' time. I find the Duke 200 a bit 'too small' and the Ducati Monster/HD Superlow a bit 'too expensive'.

Does anyone has any further news on this?
Abhi_Automobile is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 16:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: *Strong Rumour* : KTM Duke 690 around Diwali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Guys,

During my various conversations with KTM dealers across Delhi NCR region, all of them have confirmed that KTM will be launching the Duke 690 around Diwali time.

Interesting bit is that most of them seem to hint at a sub 4 lakh pricing for the bike (optimistic even for a CKD). One dealer even suggested 3.25-3.5 starting (which I find hard to believe). But all of them seem to agree that there is no way Bajaj(KTM) is going to go to the market trying to compete with Ducati (read Monster) or upcoming Triumph (read Street Triple) on price. KTM is most likely expected to undercut its rivals by a considerable margin.

There is no clear news on the upcoming Duke 350/375; though in all probability it will be slated for a mid next year launch (at maybe around 2 lacs). That will be a completely 'in house' (Bajaj/KTM collab and developed completely at Bajaj plant in India)

Although I am personally in no hurry to buy a bike (I'm more of a car guy), I will be looking to re-ignite my biking wonder years within a years' time. I find the Duke 200 a bit 'too small' and the Ducati Monster/HD Superlow a bit 'too expensive'.

Yep, even I heard of the same. Something (read 690) new is going to hit the market pretty soon and at an unbelievable price. Looking out keenly.
Old 16th August 2012, 16:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Thanks for the heads up Abhi. The unbelievable price bit is right. I've heard much the same, so thanks for confirming.

Let me put it this way - sub 4 is not at all optimistic, but 3-3.25 is stretching the band a bit.

In the UK/EU this bike is retailing ex-showroom at around 5.5 lacs (the 200 at around 3.5).

Not only is Bajaj going to undercut big time other brands, its also going to do a number on a couple of offerings from its own stable

All power to them I say. I'm looking at the 390, but Bajaj seems like its hell bent on making me get a double promotion! LOL

Last edited by ebonho : 16th August 2012 at 16:33.
Old 16th August 2012, 16:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Thanks for the heads up Abhi. The unbelievable price bit is right. I've heard much the same, so thanks for confirming.

Not only is Bajaj going to undercut big time other brands, its also going to do a number on a couple of offerings from its own stable

All power to them I say. I'm looking at the 390, but Bajaj seems like its hell bent on making me get a double promotion! LOL
In all probability, a 40+ bhp, single cylinder rocker Duke 390 should do it it for me too but I'm very keen on the 'shocking pricing' thing floating around net for the 690(and confirmed by dealers).

Keeping the fingers crossed. For those who need an intro to the KTM 690: http://http://www.ktm.com/naked-bike...ighlights.html

Surely, you didn't mean Kwacker 250, when you said a 'couple of offerings' from its own stable. It will obviously undercut the Kwacker 650 by some margin.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 16th August 2012 at 16:31.
Old 16th August 2012, 16:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

If the pricing is in the range which you have mentioned , then i know which bike will be my next upgrade

Hope 690 or the 390 would be a good tourer kind of bike and not the sporty kind...

Quote:
Guys,

Last edited by lohithrao : 16th August 2012 at 16:37.
Old 16th August 2012, 16:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Surely, you didn't mean Kwacker 250, when you said a 'couple of offerings' from its own stable. It will obviously undercut the Kwacker 650 by some margin.
I've edited my original post with some more numbers.

N250 vs a Duke 690 (even slightly steeper) - is there even a doubt?

Remember, everywhere else except India, the N250 retails lower than the Duke 200. So does the CBR 250r of course.

P.S. Not to mention is the new improved N250 even coming to India? The jury is still out on that from what I hear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Hope 690 or the 390 would be a good tourer kind of bike and not the sporty kind...
Depends on what you are looking for.

The 690 is a slightly bigger, beefier looking Duke 200 in size and proportions.

Its naked and pretty raw.

The performance is nothing like any bike this side of 5-7 lacs in India.

Including the N650, which though marginally (about 10 kmph) faster, has been described by most foreign comparos as more "civilized" and "sophisticated" in comparison.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th August 2012 at 13:19.
Old 16th August 2012, 21:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wow a Duke 690 at around 4 lacs is a good news that too when i am planning to buy a sportsbike. Perfect gift for self during festive season.
It is definitely high on tech but IMO black looks better compared to white.

I watched a youtube video of 690 ridden on a track and it has very good acceleration - probably better than N650 as this bike weighs 150KG and power to weight ratio is 450+ BHP/TON.

Last edited by djay99 : 16th August 2012 at 21:57.
Old 16th August 2012, 22:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
no way Bajaj(KTM) is going to go to the market trying to compete with Ducati (read Monster) or upcoming Triumph (read Street Triple) on price. KTM is most likely expected to undercut its rivals by a considerable margin.

I find the Duke 200 a bit 'too small' and the Ducati Monster/HD Superlow a bit 'too expensive'.

That is exactly what they will do , anything less than 4 lakhs for 690 and it will demolish the non existant category (even before it is created ) .

You should ride the 200 and report back . It will scare the whatever out of you.
Old 16th August 2012, 22:30   #9
BHPian

Yep! This news was confirmed by the KTM dealer here also. He even said that Bajaj are looking for launch of the 990 Super Duke within a price of 6.5 lakhs! Looks like KTM is going to be the biggest premium bike manufacturer in India. Even their MX motocross bikes could be launched here if market demands so!

P.S. KTM! KTM! Please don't keep us low,
ASAP bring the X-bow!

S@ndy
Old 16th August 2012, 22:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
Yep! This news was confirmed by the KTM dealer here also. He even said that Bajaj are looking for launch of the 990 Super Duke within a price of 6.5 lakhs!
Sandy bhai,
Please don't tempt further. I am feeling happy to hear a price of 3.5 to 4 lacs for a 690 and now you are telling about a 990 super duke @ 6.5 lacs is an even mouth watering price
Old 16th August 2012, 22:55   #11
BHPian

Djay99,

That was my response when I heard these words from the dealer. A litre class bike at the price of a Monster! I am being attracted towards it!

S@ndy
Old 16th August 2012, 23:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

The first reaction to this news was Bajaj is really shaking up the motorcycling world in India. Duke 200 is already retailing at a very less price compared to elsewhere in the world. Now a 3.25 to 3.5 L 690 cc Duke would just set the cat amongst the pigeons. I have turned into their fan. They are offering world class products to India at great prices. Kudos to them if this news is true.
Old 16th August 2012, 23:56   #13
BHPian

Knowing Bajaj, an approximate 4 lakh pricing sounds probable for the 690. At that price it is goodbye Hyosung GT650N. The only problem is that to achieve that level of pricing they would have to localize their components very very aggressively as they have with the 200. The glitch is that there is a huge shortage of capable vendors in India who can dish out quality parts for a sportsbike.
Worst case scenario, they will go the CKD route as with the Kwacker twins and that should still keep the Duke pretty affordable and lower than the N650 on the radar. Now its just a question of when and how much.

The 990 at 6.5 lakhs sounds a little too hard to fathom. Again, localization constraints will be an issue in pricing it so low. But one never knows, if anyone can do it in India, its Bajaj.
Old 17th August 2012, 01:31   #14
BHPian

KTM690 is not going to come to Indian Shores till 2014 start.
BAL is first going to launch the KTM 350 next year start and then Pulsar 350 mid next year. We will see KTM 350 bikes testing around aamby valley and near chakan plant this diwali. KTM 350 is going to be one value for money bike as per my source.
Also, 2 KTM 990's are sitting on Bajaj's test bike warehouse and these two bike will be spotted testing in coming weeks. !
pratheekkunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 09:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

Something tells me this will be here a lot earlier than the Triumphs. I would love to lay my hands on this one if the price is right. That would make my ninja a dedicated track tool while this will be reserved for touring and some rare commutes.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks