Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2012, 16:16   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: *Strong Rumour* : KTM Duke 690 around Diwali

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
A very reliable source has told me that the Duke 990 is going to come on display soon in certain probiking showrooms and will go on sale shortly thereafter. No clue about the price.

The first part is correct. a 990 is going to come on display soon. But it is only for display. There doesn't seem to be a plan to launch it anytime soon. From what I got to know, it is only to boost sales of 200.

Now for some laughs --> http://www.bikedekho.com/ktm/ktm-duke-350.html (am sure doc will kill me for this)
Old 20th October 2012, 10:55   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarsh11 View Post
Any idea on when the display bike will arrive?
They didn't mention a time-frame. I live near by and cross it on my way to work as well. Will keep an eye out.
Old 1st November 2012, 13:06   #108
BHPian

NOT HAPPENNING - "Re: *Strong Rumour*:KTM Duke 690 around Diwali"

The Anniversary issue of Overdrive magazine, Page 34, Social@OD column, second last comment, mentions that the 690 is NOT feasible cost wise to be brought to India.

Anyways I am hoping that the 390 at least does make it....
Old 3rd November 2012, 00:28   #109
BHPian

Man! Reading this thread first got me interested in the 350/375 (to be called a 390), and then in the 690 until doc said the pricing is not gonna be lower than N650, and then in the 990, all in a matter of an hour or so. And now am back to drooling about the 390.

With such frequent change of heart, I guess I will end up being just a reader of t-bhp and never actually get to go out and purchase something worthwhile. Was contemplating the 200, was reading about it, and then heard that Shubz and Doc already purchased. Saw these bikes perform during my recent trip to Kodai, but the heart is saying "wait, wait, a bigger one is coming". How big do I really want? I wish I had a clue. What's my appetite, how much can I spend, what do I really need, do I have a need?

Frustrating.

I guess it is time to sleep tonight. Will wake up tomorrow and try to do some soul searching. Am sure we will all be equally clueless till then. But this time I told myself, if a 390 comes at that price (2.something lakhs), go buy it and don't regret if the 690 is launched soon after at a sub-4-lakh range.
Old 3rd November 2012, 15:28   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post
I guess it is time to sleep tonight. Will wake up tomorrow and try to do some soul searching. Am sure we will all be equally clueless till then. But this time I told myself, if a 390 comes at that price (2.something lakhs), go buy it and don't regret if the 690 is launched soon after at a sub-4-lakh range.
That's most probably not happening.

More likely twice that amount.

Per international prices and the rupee's current strength, the N650 would look VFM in comparison.

The last time I rode (regularly, not one off) a bike more than 30 bhp was in the early 90s.

I am so very ready for the 390!

Last edited by ebonho : 3rd November 2012 at 15:30.
Old 5th November 2012, 13:19   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post
Man! Reading this thread first got me interested in the 350/375 (to be called a 390), and then in the 690 until doc said the pricing is not gonna be lower than N650, and then in the 990, all in a matter of an hour or so. And now am back to drooling about the 390.

With such frequent change of heart, I guess I will end up being just a reader of t-bhp and never actually get to go out and purchase something worthwhile. Was contemplating the 200, was reading about it, and then heard that Shubz and Doc already purchased. Saw these bikes perform during my recent trip to Kodai, but the heart is saying "wait, wait, a bigger one is coming". How big do I really want? I wish I had a clue. What's my appetite, how much can I spend, what do I really need, do I have a need?

Frustrating.

Oreen bro - Since you haven't laid your hands on the 200 - Wait up for the 390! Am sure you'd not have to do much soul searching then. 690 (as doc mentioned) seems like a distant dream (to me too) - So I am looking the Triumph way. Hoping they (Triumph) comes up with some update on launching/pricing etc.
Old 5th November 2012, 17:15   #112
Senior - BHPian

Shubz what's your time window wait wise for the Triumph.

Even I would love to get the Street Triple (most sensible choice of the lot - if you can call a 100+ bhp screaming triple "sensible" .....)

But nothing seems to be happening. And prices are not going to go down from what we heard.

Which makes the 390 a bird in hand. And a very yumy bird.

Only from what I hear, its not happening early 2013 either.

But somewhat later.

Also, there will be no 375/390 Pulsar single - it will in all likelihood be a twin.

Last edited by ebonho : 5th November 2012 at 17:16.
Old 5th November 2012, 18:48   #113
BHPian

I'm going to wait for the Street Triple too, from what I've read its not going to be here at least until mid-2013. They're still in the process of acquiring land for their factory
Old 7th November 2012, 17:53   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Which makes the 390 a bird in hand. And a very yumy bird.

Only from what I hear, its not happening early 2013 either.

But somewhat later.

Also, there will be no 375/390 Pulsar single - it will in all likelihood be a twin.
So, effectively you're saying that the 390 isn't happening in the first half of the year? Or did I not interpret that correctly..

Quote:
So, Pulsar is going to be a double while KTM will retain its preferred single pot config? I know that the 390 will be single but for Pulsar, which will essentially be a cheaper product, to have a twin config is strange to me.

Are you working on any budget anyway? If price is not of much importance, then wait for the Street Triple, it'll blow everything away, including the Ducati Monster!
Old 7th November 2012, 18:07   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
So, effectively you're saying that the 390 isn't happening in the first half of the year? Or did I not interpret that correctly..
I wouldn't go as far as that. Not first quarter though. That's pretty certain.

Quote:
So, Pulsar is going to be a double while KTM will retain its preferred single pot config? I know that the 390 will be single but for Pulsar, which will essentially be a cheaper product, to have a twin config is strange to me.
Ya that's the news on the grapevine. I'm not that enamored by twins anyways, and seeing what the KTM 690 does compared to the Ninja 650, I think unless Bajaj can pull a rabbit out of the hat that even Kawasaki could not, safe to say I am looking at the KTM.

Quote:
Are you working on any budget anyway? If price is not of much importance, then wait for the Street Triple, it'll blow everything away, including the Ducati Monster!
I totally agree. Maybe after the 390 though. I cannot let this one go by from what I've heard.

And while I can afford the Triple even though I wouldn't feel quite so blaise parking so much money into a bike (with three cars, two bikes, and three growing kids), the difference between 2-2.5 lacs versus 6.5-7 lacs is pretty significant.

And at the end of the day, the triple is a street bike, which though naked, does have its share of body plastic.

The 390 will be as naked as the 200 is. With beefed up chassis, swingarm, and suspension units.

Makes more sense from my perspective for the kind of allrounder bike role I have in mind for it.

Seeing as the Honda 250 offroader is also not happening.
Old 8th November 2012, 03:38   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't go as far as that. Not first quarter though. That's pretty certain.

Ya that's the news on the grapevine. I'm not that enamored by twins anyways, and seeing what the KTM 690 does compared to the Ninja 650, I think unless Bajaj can pull a rabbit out of the hat that even Kawasaki could not, safe to say I am looking at the KTM.

I totally agree. Maybe after the 390 though. I cannot let this one go by from what I've heard.

And while I can afford the Triple even though I wouldn't feel quite so blaise parking so much money into a bike (with three cars, two bikes, and three growing kids), the difference between 2-2.5 lacs versus 6.5-7 lacs is pretty significant.

And at the end of the day, the triple is a street bike, which though naked, does have its share of body plastic.

The 390 will be as naked as the 200 is. With beefed up chassis, swingarm, and suspension units.

Makes more sense from my perspective for the kind of allrounder bike role I have in mind for it.

Seeing as the Honda 250 offroader is also not happening.
OT: Do you think that Duke 390 will be bigger and beefier too? I find the Duke 200 a little too small. Coz smaller biked go unnoticed much easily I want people to notice that I am driving a good bike (not the most important criteria but a criteria nevertheless).

Oh, and do you have any info to the rumour that the bike is getting unveiled in the Paris show on 17th Nov?
Old 8th November 2012, 09:05   #117
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
OT: Do you think that Duke 390 will be bigger and beefier too? I find the Duke 200 a little too small. Coz smaller biked go unnoticed much easily I want people to notice that I am driving a good bike (not the most important criteria but a criteria nevertheless).

Oh, and do you have any info to the rumour that the bike is getting unveiled in the Paris show on 17th Nov?
Which could also mean a KTM 390 could be taken out everyday unlike the faired competition (Ninja 250 for instance), lesser chance of vandals exploiting her, lesser chance of wannabe racers and kids fiddling around with the bike and taking photographs sitting on the bike while its parked, lesser chance of common people taking it for granted that you are a street racer (especially if you wear riding gear).

Has loads of advantages , but yes- I'd like it a bit bigger and beefier too.
Old 8th November 2012, 11:39   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OT: Do you think that Duke 390 will be bigger and beefier too?
Probably not. Probably not even very different looking. Just a few things here and there.

Why mess with a fantastic package?

Its a KTM, unapologetically, so you know what you are buying when you make the choice.

I do not see KTM changing the proud DNA of their bikes because Indians want to seat their wives and girlfriends more comfortably.

And for that, I wish Bajaj continues to let KTM do its thing.

That's the true attraction of this bike for enthusiasts.

Yes I really would like it be slightly more tourer/enduro, but the Bajaj guys do not see the numbers for that.

Maybe things which can be managed:

1) Spoked wheels with enduro (on-off) type rubber

2) Bigger tank

3) More saddlebag/bungee friendly grabrails

4) Option for a small removable/adjustable wind deflector/screen

5) More sturdy (India specific) fork seals and protective fork boot / dust protection
Old 8th November 2012, 11:39   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Which could also mean a KTM 390 could be taken out everyday unlike the faired competition (Ninja 250 for instance), lesser chance of vandals exploiting her, lesser chance of wannabe racers and kids fiddling around with the bike and taking photographs sitting on the bike while its parked, lesser chance of common people taking it for granted that you are a street racer (especially if you wear riding gear).

Has loads of advantages , but yes- I'd like it a bit bigger and beefier too.
I assume that you were giving advantages of 'being smaller'? Even so, I want a beefier looking meaner machine, one that looks and feels substantially bigger than 200. I don't think that will happen though

Quote:
Probably not. Probably not even very different looking. Just a few things here and there.

Why mess with a fantastic package?

Its a KTM, unapologetically, so you know what you are buying when you make the choice.

I do not see KTM changing the proud DNA of their bikes because Indians want to seat their wives and girlfriends more comfortably.

And for that, I wish Bajaj continues to let KTM do its thing.

That's the true attraction of this bike for enthusiasts.

Yes I really would like it be slightly more tourer/enduro, but the Bajaj guys do not see the numbers for that.

Maybe things which can be managed:

1) Spoked wheels with enduro (on-off) type rubber

2) Bigger tank

3) More saddlebag/bungee friendly grabrails

4) Option for a small removable/adjustable wind deflector/screen

5) More sturdy (India specific) fork seals and protective fork boot / dust protection
OK, so sounds like bad news for me. But, nevertheless, since I like the 200 (despite being small), I'd most probably like the 390 too.

Oh, and I don't need a bigger bike to seat my wifey. Just that I like my machines to look beefier. No chance! I mean I'd love to, but she doesn't like bikes (Delhi culture v/v Pune/Bangalore culture; Delhi girls prefer cars). And if I need to do that, I have two cars, with a third bigger car due before the bike. Plus, I think that bikes are meant to be ridden alone, especially these street bikes. Period!

Any info whether the 390 will be reveled in the Paris auto show, as has been speculated?

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 8th November 2012 at 11:48.
Old 8th November 2012, 11:46   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I assume that you were giving advantages of 'being smaller'? Even so, I want a beefier looking meaner machine, one that looks and feels substantially bigger than 200. I don't think that will happen though
Probably not with KTM.

But you could look at Honda for that.

They specialize is making 200 odd cc bikes look like super sport machines.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks