Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2012, 12:21   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: *Strong Rumour* : KTM Duke 690 around Diwali

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Probably not with KTM.

But you could look at Honda for that.

They specialize is making 200 odd cc bikes look like super sport machines.
I like most things European, be it cars or bikes! I prefer VW over Toyota (Jetta over Corolla), Triumph over Suzuki (Street Triple/Duke 690 over N650), though there are exceptions. As for the bike maker, I like KTM, 200 included.I It's just that I need a bigger capacity bike so I didn't go for the 200. If it is visually beefier (not necessarily bigger), great. If not, I think I can live with it. In any case, I like naked bikes and cruisers, each style for different reasons. Not much into fully faired stuff.

Buddy, any update on the speculated unveiling of the bike in Paris auto show on 17th of the month?

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 8th November 2012 at 12:25.
Old 8th November 2012, 13:16   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Probably not with KTM.

But you could look at Honda for that.

They specialize is making 200 odd cc bikes look like super sport machines.
Ahh you missed Hyosung, Doc! They make quarter litres the size of Fireblades with dual discs, ~200kgs kerb weight, et al.

Anyway, this 390 should be a stonker on that lean body. Wish it hits the showrooms sooner.
dreamseller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 13:25   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
Ahh you missed Hyosung, Doc! They make quarter litres the size of Fireblades with dual discs, ~200kgs kerb weight, et al.

Anyway, this 390 should be a stonker on that lean body. Wish it hits the showrooms sooner.
I don't he did. I think there are still a lot of people (not saying Doc is one of them) who think that Korean products are not up to the mark
, me included. So, such folks don't consider the Koreans for much. Though, I agree that their 250 Comet is about the size of a 600 cc bike.
Old 8th November 2012, 13:47   #124
Senior - BHPian

Honestly, in the current market, I do not see myself looking beyond KTM or Yamaha.

No Hondas - never really was a Honda man. No offense to Honda riders.

Hyosung? Please man ......

Abhi, I would be surprised if the 390 is unveiled this early. There seems to be still some way to go .... (but I would love to be surprised like you)
Old 8th November 2012, 14:27   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
I don't he did. I think there are still a lot of people (not saying Doc is one of them) who think that Korean products are not up to the mark
, me included. So, such folks don't consider the Koreans for much. Though, I agree that their 250 Comet is about the size of a 600 cc bike.
Quote:
Honestly, in the current market, I do not see myself looking beyond KTM or Yamaha.

No Hondas - never really was a Honda man. No offense to Honda riders.

Hyosung? Please man ......

Abhi, I would be surprised if the 390 is unveiled this early. There seems to be still some way to go .... (but I would love to be surprised like you)
I agree. That was a comment made in jest. The Hyosungs sure have a long way to go, both in terms of the overall product quality and after sales service.

No offence taken, but the Honda normally isn't known for exciting motorcycles, relative to the other 3 Japs. They just make good motorcycles, which serve you for long and serve you well. And that's that!

Going completely , but I wish Suzuki does something in the market, like it did during the blue-smoke days.
dreamseller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 15:55   #126
BHPian

Diwali is here... no news of this impending launch. :(
Looks like it will be a long wait for this one to come out in open.
Old 7th February 2013, 13:48   #127
Senior - BHPian

Bumping this thread.

Diwali come and long gone. No sign of the 390. Forget the 690.

Any news on it guys?

Its got 44 bhp - that much we know. Any idea about the top speed?

I am reading wildly speculative figures - ranging from a pretty pathetic 160 to a mildly disappointing 170-175 to a generously overgenerous 200 kmph.

Frankly I would be inwardly disappointed with anything lower than 180 - for the kind of power to weight ratio the bike has.

But then I said the same thing about the Duke 200 too (25 bhp, 120 kilos) and was expecting around 145+ - which never happened due to the gearing and the limiter.

So I guess the 390 would follow suit and leave us feeling a little deflated top speed-wise.

Acceleration-wise it would be the cat's whiskers - no doubt about that one!

But I am really looking for a bike as my next bike which can do around 180 tops - so that around 150-160 on open highways like NH4/NH8 etc. should be doable and we can get to the tasty curvy bits quicker by finishing the boring flat bits faster.

As it is, with the Duke 200 topping out at 138 (old ones), the real life upper limit of comfort for the small motor for extended highway running is 110 tops (100 being the sweet spot).

In this band the bike returns between 35 and 30 kmpl, the low fuel light coming on at around 260 kms from tank top-up.

Last edited by ebonho : 7th February 2013 at 13:55.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 16:50   #128
Senior - BHPian

was a pic of the upcoming Duke ever posted on this forum? Or are there spy pics whatsoever? a la Duke 200 - loads of spy pics were posted out here and in another forum as well.
Old 7th February 2013, 17:18   #129
BHPian

Eagerly waiting like everyone else. I keep bugging my colleague(has contact in KTM) to know when it is going to launch and keep hearing its being delayed. As it is it stands at July now :(

I am beginning to wonder if i should stretch my budget and go with the Ninja 650.

News on the Triumph ST is also bad. 2013 has not started off well for me
Old 7th February 2013, 17:51   #130
Senior - BHPian

Looks the same externally.

*Strong Rumour* : KTM Duke 690 around Diwali-ktm_duke_390_01.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsub View Post
I am beginning to wonder if i should stretch my budget and go with the Ninja 650.
Friend of mine is thinking of the same. Only he has the Ninja 300 on his radar as well. Any news on that for India?

Last edited by ebonho : 7th February 2013 at 17:54.
Old 7th February 2013, 18:43   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks the same externally.

Friend of mine is thinking of the same. Only he has the Ninja 300 on his radar as well. Any news on that for India?
Wannabe's could easily put up the 390 decal on the 200 and pass off as the 390 - till it comes to the "test of speed/power"
Old 7th February 2013, 20:01   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Wannabe's could easily put up the 390 decal on the 200 and pass off as the 390 - till it comes to the "test of speed/power"
Thank God we are not wannabes .....

But no, it will be dificult.

Orange rims, orange chassis, white paint job, + the decals.

And then get blasted to smithreens by the real deal. (unlikes the Dukes, the Pulsars 150 and 180 were a lot closer in performance - as were the LBs 350 and 500)

Expression priceless. LOL
Old 7th February 2013, 20:16   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank God we are not wannabes .....

But no, it will be dificult.

Orange rims, orange chassis, white paint job, + the decals.

And then get blasted to smithreens by the real deal. (unlikes the Dukes, the Pulsars 150 and 180 were a lot closer in performance - as were the LBs 350 and 500)

Expression priceless. LOL
Amen to that!

But doc, how many Dukes have had a make over of Orange rims/Orange chassis/white paint job and what not -- Only the decals are not available - If they were - we would've had "unofficial" 390's already on the road! :P
Old 8th February 2013, 10:29   #134
BHPian

A friend was told by Mumbai showroom guys that some rider is coming down from Austria for the KTM ride in Mumbai, and a "big bike" would be put up on display at the Inorbit Mall, Malad.

Dont know how far this is true.
Old 8th February 2013, 11:09   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I guess the 390 would follow suit and leave us feeling a little deflated top speed-wise.
But I am really looking for a bike as my next bike which can do around 180 tops - so that around 150-160 on open highways like NH4/NH8 etc. should be doable
Ebonho (may I call you 'Doc'?), you've echoed my sentiments exactly in what I'm looking for in my next bike (what I call my 'almost-mid-life-crisis purchase' )

200 kmph would be awesome, but I guess that's not realistic with the budget I've earmarked for that (<4L). Also looking for a reasonable service setup, so my bike can be on the road most of the time instead of waiting for a service engineer.

Basically looking for a bike that can make me feel the way I did about my first bike, a Shogun, way back in college; couldn't keep my hands off her! So Duke 390, Honda 400-500-whatever, Ninja 300, whatever else, just hope they come by 2014-end!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks