Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2014, 20:54   #166
BHPian

Re: Harley Street 750 Test Ride: Handling, Exhaust Note & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
^^
Yes, that's a Iron. The Street was not production ready so they camouflaged a Iron to look like it and added its 'puny' soundtrack too later on. It has a 5 second 'marketing' role in the movie. I would reiterate, this ain't a real Harley...
Out of curiosity , what is a real harley ? you mean that from aesthetics/build quality pov or engine/performance nature ?
Old 9th April 2014, 21:11   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Out of curiosity , what is a real harley ? you mean that from aesthetics/build quality pov or engine/performance nature ?
It is a mix of all you have mentioned and then some more. Even the sound of a Harley i.e. Potato Potato, plays a important role for me. It is for that reason alone that even the Night Rod isn't accepted by the majority as one though it compensates by its displacement to some extent. This is a long and controversial subject and I have had enough of that. Perhaps when we meet we can discuss this at length. But as a entry level standalone bike, it's OK. But don't mistake it as a Harley. I wouldn't.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 12:25   #168
BHPian

Quote:
It is a mix of all you have mentioned and then some more. Even the sound of a Harley i.e. Potato Potato, plays a important role for me. It is for that reason alone that even the Night Rod isn't accepted by the majority as one though it compensates by its displacement to some extent. This is a long and controversial subject and I have had enough of that. Perhaps when we meet we can discuss this at length. But as a entry level standalone bike, it's OK. But don't mistake it as a Harley. I wouldn't.
I guess the definitions vary from person to person, I agree that the traditional "potato" sound is missing in the street, but the night rod had many other changes leading to its non-acceptance, rather a complete deviation from HD's image. If you go by the traditional bikers, even the actual potato sound is missing with the iron/sportster. As per me that sounds fine and as a genuine accessory you can also get the iron exhaust for the street, compensating for the sound.

Not getting into a debate here, its just my opinion and I believe that street is a really good entry level Harley for a poor man (including myself )

@ basu did you get your test ride yet? I got my test ride and following are my comments:

I think by now most of the people might have ridden or read the reviews. So I’ll keep it short and talk about the things that matter / don’t matter to me.

Engine, Acceleration & Speed
I tested the bike for not more than half hour, but I’m pretty sure about one thing that I wasn’t short of torque at any point of time. In addition to that the traffic was frustrating at times as I didn’t get much room on the road to roam. I found the acceleration to be really good and could hit triple digits almost instantly. For me a cruiser is never about the top speed or being a torque hammer, having said that, I should also never be in a doubt while overtaking any vehicle with oncoming traffic. Therefore I can safely say that street 750 does justice in this regard.

Gear Shifts and city ride
Electric start worked like a charm, all the time, even with engaged gears. I found the gear shifts to be quite smooth and effortless while riding the bike with loads of traffic. To my surprise the bike could easily pick up with the 3rd gear as well and didn’t have to lower the gear for most of my commute. I found it quite well for city rides.

Riding posture
I’m an inch short of 6 and towards the heavier side, so the bike looked a bit small while riding. However I don’t really mind that as I liked the riding posture and stance. Recovering from a spinal surgery last year, posture is really important for me. I was really glad to have a much better posture and stance on the street 750 than the iron (as per my body, may be different for different people). In terms of comfort I was quite comfortable, can’t say about my girl, and I think I should have taken her as well for the ride. I hope I get some good backrest options later on, the current ones are pathetic.

Braking
I read a lot about braking issues before my test ride but I found it to be just fine, didn’t really get the issue. Maybe I haven’t experienced better HD bikes with superior braking.

Appearance, colors and accessories

Although the bike looked a little smaller compared to iron/sportster, I still liked it as it looked quite neat to me with a wider tank and feel to it. I wasn’t really bothered by the visible wires but the rear view mirror positions could have been better, could hardly see anything.

In terms of color I really loved the matt black option, however the headlight cover would still be shining black (strange), nevertheless I plan to remove it anyway once I get it.

In terms of accessories you have many options (as discussed by other members earlier), the most important for me would be the Iron exhaust (2 into 2 and not 2 into 1) and a good backrest for the long rides.

So, Booking?? – I am going to book it next month so that I can get it by Diwali, that’s the time I can start riding bikes full time again as per my neurosurgeon.

Last edited by abhimanyu_singh : 10th April 2014 at 12:42. Reason: Adding review
abhimanyu_singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 12:41   #169
Senior - BHPian

Its all a matter of perception and priorities and what one is looking for really Basu, Abhimanyu. For some the fact that its not a Harley could actually be a good thing, and the clinching factor for the purchase.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 13:06   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review Abhimanyu, Going by all reviews, HD 750 seems unlike a real Harley and apprarently they focused more on performance than "Potato Potato" sound

Iam sure like Doc said, there will be buyers who buy just for "potato potato" sound and then there will be buyers like you who will appreciate the real performance of a bike and buy it all the same.

Goodluck and wish you fast recovery so you can enjoy your HD 750
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 16:29   #171
BHPian

For me the bike is a good product in a market lacking terribly in options between 3 - 5 lakhs range . Aesthetic execution could have been done better but not a deal breaker for me , I am however curious about the reliability and durability of the engine itself.

@abhimanyu_singh

No , I have not made the trip yet to delhi . Contributing factors are my initial euphoria has cooled down a bit and I'm in the process of shifting back to kolkata which is my hometown from bareilly . Taking delivery of the bike here does not makes much sense because no place to visit in city and highways are not ride worthy or even safe. At kolkata , roads and the excuses to take the bike out for a spin exist so makes more sense to purchase there .

There is only one gripe which may put me off - the APPARENT size of the bike(even though it is similar length as superlow or iron ) . I am 6'2 and 90kg and while I found the mid mount controls and seat height comfortable(only sat astride it for few minutes so not conclusive) , the 3rd person perspective makes it appear like I am sitting on top of the bike rather than behind the fuel tank . Now this is a micropsia and the reason is the 60deg v-twin results in a lower fuel tank height as say compared to the iron .
Old 10th April 2014, 20:09   #172
BHPian

I agree with doc. For some, the fact that it is not a real Harley can work in its favor. If i go for this, it will only be for the fact that it is not a real Harley. It will work for me as a quick, practical, fun-to-ride bike. Had it not been for this bike, I wouldn't have come to a Harley thread at all.
Old 11th April 2014, 06:30   #173
Senior - BHPian

@basuroy - if just performance is your priority then there are better options out there. Even the Ninja 650 will beat the blues out of most bikes harping about performance. A Harley needs to be the sum of a whole lot more.

Last edited by GTO : 15th April 2014 at 18:29. Reason: PM coming up
Old 11th April 2014, 07:08   #174
BHPian

Harley Street 750 Test Ride: Handling, Exhaust Note & more

Quote:
@basuroy - if just performance is your priority then there are better options out there. Even the Ninja 650 will beat the blues out of most bikes harping about performance. A Harley needs to be the sum of a whole lot more. Ignorance is bliss for the uninitiated...
Hi Doc, was just a wondering what's the use of potato potato when the bike is not even designed to handle Indian conditions !! In my opinion, street 750 is the right way forward for Harley in India, it handles traffic, doesn't get heated up, has a good suspension and is easy on the pocket.

Last edited by abhjain : 11th April 2014 at 07:10.
abhjain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 10:31   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Ignorance is bliss for the uninitiated...

funny statement coming from an experienced rider eh dkaile.
would love to hear (and learn?) more about what a "real" harley is?

Besides, up until now, the superlows and the Irons weren't considered "real" harleys. It was a "budget" ticket to get into this elite club of bling and leathers and beanie helmets. Eventually every iron/superlow rider "upgrades" to the "real" harley and get themselves a fat boy or electra glide etc etc..

But now that we have an even "cheaper" harley, that doesn't even sound as half boiled a potato as the superlows and the irons, the new Harley aspirants are uninitiated? Come on dkaile. Give them some time, I am sure the ones who want to get into the "real" harley club will "upgrade". The rest will ride what they have and have fun doing it.

This definition of the real deal is hilarious. The motorcycle is nothing but a tool to the rider. A rider will buy this tool to do things he wishes to do with it. What works for you may not work for others. A rider will buy what fits his budget, his life, his needs. Calling them uninitiated because their definition of a good bike doesn't fit yours is uncalled for.

A bike will do what it's rider will make it do. From the typical Harley owner who rides his fat boy to Leh from Mumbai
http://www.traveltorque.co/a-fat-boy...ardung-la.html

to the rider who toured the world solo on his Hero Honda Karizma
http://www.ridetillidie.com/content/...0#.U0d2V_mSz_N

to folks who ride their bikes a 100kms every weekend with their club mates etc etc.

A bike is a tool. The "real" deal is the rider. The motorcycle is nothing but the symbol of his lifestyle/phase/choices.

Enjoy your ride. You do love it and it shows.

Cheers!
Kapil

Last edited by wolfy : 11th April 2014 at 10:36.
wolfy is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 12:20   #176
BHPian

Quote:
@basuroy - if just performance is your priority then there are better options out there. Even the Ninja 650 will beat the blues out of most bikes harping about performance. A Harley needs to be the sum of a whole lot more. Ignorance is bliss for the uninitiated...
Haha very true ignorance is bliss (a though that most often comes to my head when people tell me cast iron enfield are better than UCE or similar anecdotes one gets to read regarding foreign brands ). That said what exactly are you trying to insinuate with this observation of yours may I ask ?

Performance might be perceived by the ignorant as outright power delivery but that is not the way I see it . Ninja is a vastly different motorcycle from street - first it is a sports bike with a significantly different riding ergonomics and I personally don't feel comfortable with an aggressive stance(this is a downright deal breaker). As for performance , the street is more suited for a leisure ride . Exhaust note is not a deal breaker , if all things same it can influence a decision because it is an interesting characteristic of an automobile though solely judging a bike by its outside appearance , exhaust note and brand "value" seems shallow to me .

I'm not considering street because it is a harley . As it stands , it is one of the few motorcycles in the price range that I can afford and on paper most suitable to my needs( I was waiting for the bonnie for sometime though price is a deal breaker) . If I decide to not purchase it , I won't for the time being spend the money elsewhere. And it is most certainly a step in right direction by HD , if nothing else it allows them to stay in business by offering a product complying with US emission norms. This allows them to also offer their vintage lineup alongside as well so everyone is a winner.

Last edited by basuroy : 11th April 2014 at 12:26.
basuroy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 13:04   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
what exactly are you trying to insinuate with this observation of yours may I ask ?
My uninitiated comment should only be seen in light of the motorcycles built by the Harley-Davidson Motor Co. and no other. My priorities to qualify as a Harley needs the following credentials, based solely on my personal choices, and each one is free to have his/her own. I will always respect the other's choice and expect people to respect mine. In my preference order and only related to the Harley lineup of the present -

1. Built and Finish of the Motorcycle - Should be world class. If chromed it should be shiny hard chrome. If blacked out it's finish should last a generation or two. The Street scores much lower

2. Performance - Decent. Capable of beating 90% vehicles on the roads you travel. There will always be some better. But I am really not a person bothered about that this vehicle will hit the 100 mark a second faster or a moment slower. The Street scores lower or lets say I am neutral about this.

3. Cruising Comfort - Should be decent and comfortable. Persons always criticising that normal Harleys can't travel on Indian roads are a few of the uninitiated lot. I speak only by what I have experienced and even the lowest Harley is pretty decent. The Street scores lower for me due to the seating position, position of the handle bar for cruising and the location of the mirrors.

4. Soundtrack - Yes, that makes a difference to me and is 4th on the list of my priority. If that doesn't to you it's your choice and I respect it. The Street scores lower.

5. Maneuverability - Important to me as I ride my Harley daily. That is why I feel the smaller Sportsters have a edge over the bigger Fat Boys and Fat Bobs even though both these bikes are higher of my love list over the Sportster. Here the Street will score higher.

6. Upgradablity and Customisability - Here the entry Sportsters scores much higher than some of the bigger models. I would like to slowly make the bike my own unique creation. Here the Street scores much lower.

I would conclude by repeating what I said on my ownership thread that all that finally matters is to keep the riding spirit going, on any bike you like, and that is why we are here...

If you like the Street go for. But don't expect me to share your views.

Last edited by dkaile : 11th April 2014 at 13:20.
Old 11th April 2014, 13:41   #178
BHPian

Fair enough , for me though this is just a motorcycle that exists and not necessarily a harley . In-fact even it was made by honda or triumph , it won't make any difference to me . Build quality(as in how long it was last , engine reliability etc) I don't know but agreed the finish is nothing to talk about - even the bland paint job , performance and handling/suspension as per reviews seem to be the selling point . These are all important to me(even exhaust note) but due to an utter lack of a single other option , I don't have the luxury of choosing . That said , overall it has on 'paper' satisfied me so far so it is likely I will own one in near future. Approval of the HOG is not something I am anyways looking for in this bike .

I can relate with purchasing a motorcycle for "character" which is the sum of all things with exhaust note being an important one , I myself have spent around 80k(40k bike , 40k on modification ) on a 1987 enfield 350 9 months back for that reason and a another person might purchase a harley for same reason .
Old 11th April 2014, 13:43   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Performance - Decent. Capable of beating 90% vehicles on the roads you travel. There will always be some better. But I am really not a person bothered about that this vehicle will hit the 100 mark a second faster or a moment slower. The Street scores lower or lets say I am neutral about this.
By all reports, the Street is way ahead of the Superlow and the Iron on performance. Don't know how it scores lower in your book.

Quote:
3. Cruising Comfort - Should be decent and comfortable. Persons always criticising that normal Harleys can't travel on Indian roads are a few of the uninitiated lot. I speak only by what I have experienced and even the lowest Harley is pretty decent. The Street scores lower for me due to the seating position, position of the handle bar for cruising and the location of the mirrors.
The Street has better ground clearance and better suspension than the Superlow or the Iron. It was built specifically to take on developing world roads. I think ownership stories soon will bear this out, as the Streets will start doing most of the circuits the Bullet guys normally do. I don;t see any other Harleys doing that regularly (the one off prove a point story is different .....)

Quote:
6. Upgradablity and Customisability - Here the entry Sportsters scores much higher than some of the bigger models. I would like to slowly make the bike my own unique creation. Here the Street scores much lower.
How? Being the cheapest of the lot, gives the owner that much more margin to spend on customizing his ride. Unless you are talkng about an unlimited supply of cash .....

Kapil put it well.

Its funny how biking hierrarchy and pecking orders work.

Suddenly the pretenders get breathing room because a newbie comes in behind them.

So now the pretenders become the real deal, and get to snigger at the new pretender.

Circle of life in marques which live on legend and history, without much else going for them.

P.S. And Basu, standard CI Bullets ARE better than the UCEs. Whoever told you different does not know what he's talking about.

Last edited by ebonho : 11th April 2014 at 13:45.
ebonho is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 13:53   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
By all reports, the Street is way ahead of the Superlow and the Iron on performance. Don't know how it scores lower in your book.

The Street has better ground clearance and better suspension than the Superlow or the Iron. It was built specifically to take on developing world roads.

How?

Suddenly the pretenders get breathing room because a newbie comes in behind them.

So now the pretenders become the real deal, and get to snigger at the new pretender.
As per my information on-road Performance is not higher than the Sportster's.

It may have higher ground clearance but that doesn't make it a better cruiser.

The scope of accessorizing is pretty low with the Street and will remain so for a couple of years.

If you feel calling me names, directly or indirectly, will satisfy your ego, go ahead. But I don't see how that helps this discussion. Shouldn't our Bhpian code allow us to agree to disagree...

Last edited by dkaile : 11th April 2014 at 13:56.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks