Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2015, 12:24   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Some serious mods happening! Is there a Harley class at the drag strips? With your weight, you would have a great chance (after losing those chromed "wings" first).
Such an amazing engine and machine - begs for mods! The wings stays! No Drag! lol

With the Iron I was sceptical so was going the beaten path of slip on's and what that'd not void "warranty". But with the Fat "Guy" its different!

cheers!
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 09:13   #137
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post

Any comments/suggestions welcome.

Cheers!
Hi there.

From what I gather, most of the aftermarket "Performance" air filters are pretty good, and should be sufficient to meet your aftermarket exhaust air volume requirements.

So, it really boils down to the "Important" criteria, looks.

Only word of advice I could give would be to pick one that would work in our more than normal grime environment. I would avoid ones that require rainsocks.

Happy Modding. If you can access a dyno, you should avail it to maximize the performance of all the mods.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
Old 6th July 2015, 14:29   #138
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Gthang sir.

Looks I am fine with the stock cover and stage 1 SE filter.

So at most I may go for VnH air intake under the stock cover itself. I need to figure out the dimensions of the same so it sits inside properly.

Second - I am contemplating all that because I am seeing some errors in the VnH tune and I am talking to VnH support and providing them with the necessary information etc.

HD technician says - Since the set up is different, since *i forgot the part he mentioned* is not required on this set up as the base plate is gone - this error is normal. I am not sure about that. Screen shot of the error posted below. Please do ignore the turn signal errors - they are no longer showing up now.

2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-image1.png

Cheers
Old 7th July 2015, 12:04   #139
Senior - BHPian

Don't go for an after market filter Shubz.

Its not worth it.

"Performance air filters" belong on the same shelf of snake oil as "iridium plugs and phat (red/yellow/orange) cables" in the local biking for gullible ignoramuses pharmacy.

You want to go faster, get a faster bike.

I've said my piece.

Last edited by ebonho : 7th July 2015 at 12:10.
Old 7th July 2015, 13:49   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't go for an after market filter Shubz.

Its not worth it.

"Performance air filters" belong on the same shelf of snake oil as "iridium plugs and phat (red/yellow/orange) cables" in the local biking for gullible ignoramuses pharmacy.

You want to go faster, get a faster bike.

I've said my piece.
Doc I somewhat agree with you in the context of my Trouble code! This is not a problem. this is just an indication of a solenoid being open as the O2 sensors are no longer present.

Adding aftermarket A/C unit - though tonnes of folks have gone for - is not on my mind from just a modding perspective.

The Heavy Breather -- is a TOTAL No No (personal choice of course)

I will now remap to stock, change the "Active Intake" setting to OFF and then see. I did map it to stock without making this change in the app on the last map and the bike was popping mad!

The best I can anticipate - Do multiple runs on the "Auto Tune" - gather data - look for max "greens" in the table and flash! lol
Old 7th July 2015, 13:57   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Doc I somewhat agree with you in the context of my Trouble code! This is not a problem. this is just an indication of a solenoid being open as the O2 sensors are no longer present.

Adding aftermarket A/C unit - though tonnes of folks have gone for - is not on my mind from just a modding perspective.

The Heavy Breather -- is a TOTAL No No (personal choice of course)

I will now remap to stock, change the "Active Intake" setting to OFF and then see. I did map it to stock without making this change in the app on the last map and the bike was popping mad!

The best I can anticipate - Do multiple runs on the "Auto Tune" - gather data - look for max "greens" in the table and flash! lol
Thank God for Harley riders without Harley-sized chips on their shoulders.

You've got exactly what I've said and are going about it the right way.

In an engine, what you throw out affects others (howls from tree-huggers solicited) but what you suck in directly affects your engine, and ultimately you.

The two unchanging truths of tuning, from donkey's years, regardless of vehicles, brands, or shoulder chips -

1) More Air = More Power

which can never be separated from

2) More Air = More Grit

Disclaimer: Unless you do your riding in a vacuum tube.

Last edited by ebonho : 7th July 2015 at 14:09.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 17:34   #142
Senior - BHPian

The VnH VO2 air intake is nothing special compared to the Stage 1 kit you already have, in fact I would call them identical in terms of performance. For the error code kindly check the the solenoid wiring at the back of the air filter harness, or contact VnH technical assistance to troubleshoot.

2015 Harley Davidson Fatboy - Rambo comes home!-intake-solenoid-connector.jpg

And yes, a Harley is much much more complicated in its electronics (and everything else for that matter) than a regular Joe, so kindly don't get sucked into a discussion to that effect. Kindly let me know if you need the full service manual of the Softail.

Last edited by dkaile : 7th July 2015 at 17:37.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 18:29   #143
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Dhiraj sir! The "solenoid" info was pretty useful. If you could send me any literature just on that, it would be great. I guess you have my email id.

Cheers.
Old 16th July 2015, 13:20   #144
Senior - BHPian

Ok, My P0661 made VnH discover a bug in their system where The byte that controls that specific switch was not changing. They have fixed the same. Sent me a new map, which i downloaded, flashed and ran the bike a few KMS and Viola! no more Trouble code.

Will have to do a longer run to see if anything else has changed (perhaps on the Sunday ride)

Words of praise for VnH -- Very prompt responses. No vague answers. No canned replies except for the first auto-response. One Product Manager was assigned to me "Chris Neely" and he helped with responses even on Sundays! I don't know if even HD or SE would have responded in a situation like this.

Cheers!
Old 1st August 2015, 13:57   #145
BANNED

Damn! Subhz . you too have switched bikes . congrats !
Old 1st August 2015, 14:10   #146
BANNED

Quote:
Thank God for Harley riders without Harley-sized chips on their shoulders.

The two unchanging truths of tuning, from donkey's years, regardless of vehicles, brands, or shoulder chips -

1) More Air = More Power

which can never be separated from

2) More Air = More Grit

Disclaimer: Unless you do your riding in a vacuum tube.
Well both of your rules are not actually rules, more of like guidelines and at competition level both are not true. For a Novice tuner , they might be first step but can't be claimed as laws or truth!
1. More air does not always mean more power, specially not for EFi . even if you make provisions to increase fuel by corresponding amount or something like that.
Since more air with appropriate increase in fuel alters how flame front propagates , it calls for different ignition timing , in some cases even different injection timing.
Else you loose HP because flame front propagates fasters and releases energy even before piston has reached TDC, and instead of throwing piston towards crank , it opposes its upwards motion. Creating huge stress on cylinders and fasteners . ultimately loosing HP.

2. More air- more grit.
Again not true.
One can always increase filtering surface area , still keeping or increasing filtering efficiency.

But for starters - more air in and out of a motor is desirable .
dustom_99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 12:45   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustom_99 View Post
Damn! Subhz . you too have switched bikes . congrats !
Thank you Dustom sir. You were missed when I was going through some teething niggles with my FP3 installation. Its all sorted now! Managed to help VnH find a bug in their app and got it fixed. :-)

Good to see you back on again!

Cheers
Old 4th August 2015, 13:27   #148
AWD
BHPian

Shubz, great thread. I test rode the Fat Boy recently, though Im 6ft athletic built, 85kg but still found it heavy to deal with. Steering needs some effort & so does moving in out of parking & putting on a stand. Im sure after riding for a couple of months one must be getting used to the bulk but how did you find it when you started riding it ? I also found the the throttle responses a bit unnerving in stop & go bumper to bumper traffic within City. I mean the bike just leaps forward on releasing the clutch & one has to clutch ride to keep speed from building up. Not to talk of the huge turning radius.
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 13:38   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
but still found it heavy to deal with.
Harley Davidsons are the 'trucks' of the motorcycling world. Coming from the 100~300cc bikes we are used to in India is a huge generational shift. It requires a few weeks before you would get used to them. But once you do they handle with a flick of your wrists. And in the process it helps you build up some muscles... lolz. Respect your machine's capabilities and it will respect you back.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2015, 14:05   #150
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Shubz, great thread. I test rode the Fat Boy recently, though Im 6ft athletic built, 85kg but still found it heavy to deal with. Steering needs some effort & so does moving in out of parking & putting on a stand. Im sure after riding for a couple of months one must be getting used to the bulk but how did you find it when you started riding it ? I also found the the throttle responses a bit unnerving in stop & go bumper to bumper traffic within City. I mean the bike just leaps forward on releasing the clutch & one has to clutch ride to keep speed from building up. Not to talk of the huge turning radius.
Heavier bikes are very stable on highway! Weight is a major advantage as far as cruisers go.
Yes they are difficult at crawling speeds and parking , but nothing a normal able bodied guy can't used to.

As far as riding clutch goes, most people have this experience in test riding Harley Davidson . first off all as Dheeraj mentioned its a huge huge jump from usual motorcycles , specially in Torque at low rpms, but another thing that effects lot of test rides is engine warm up.
These engines maintain high idle till they are warmed up , which usually takes about 5-8 minutes . After which RPM falls to normal range and will help with that uncontrollable torque feeling.
Unfortunately most of the first impression is formed during first few minutes!
dustom_99 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks