Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2017, 20:35   #541
Team-BHP Support

Re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 13,500 kms !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Dont push these kind of things. I know you're on to new tyres. However, this doesn't set a good example to a lot of other novices who follow this thread.
I second this, Avi maybe you can add a disclaimer to the above post and mention it as "What NOT to do on bikes" - Avoid longer rides (more than 100 kms if your tyre is at wear indicator). This will value add to the forum members.

That is a seriously worn out tyres and yes only a finicky rider might notice handling issues and all. My tiger tyres are far from reaching wear indicator at the centre, still its kind of squared off and I hate the tram lining feel I get when I ride, compounded by the dry T stem cone. My new tyres have arrived am sure I will get the cone lubed/adjusted and replace both the tyres before I attempt the next trip out of city. These soft tyres seems to wear off sooner than what even I expected, atleast from the looks of the pic above.

So let me take it as a warning for myself, and learn from your experience.
Jaggu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 09:18   #542
BANNED

Re: Kawasaki Versys 650:The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin :Completes 1-Year & 13,500 kms !!

I was there with the whole gang and unfortunately we had three falls and all happened with Hyderabad tigers. Say my Hi to Sundar whenever you meet him, we all became very close post that ride.
Never knew that it's out on forums as well as usually these rides are not beyond facebook close forums and whatsapp.
Same period I did Bangalore-Bhilai via Nagpur and came back to Bangalore just for 2 days for hair cut and shaving my 3 months of grown beard LOL.
Again rode back to Nagpur and did pench all india tiger's meet.
And yes have ridden versys in offroad as well as highway condition but couldn't justify it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
A dear friend of mine had ridden to Pench about a month ago and it was an all Tiger ride event and they did some serious off-roading too under the guidance of some tutor. During the event, due to someone suddenly braking in front of my friend's bike he stalled and fell down with his left thumb getting entangled in the clutch and bike falling down

Last edited by mobike008 : 13th April 2017 at 11:42. Reason: Reducing the quote length
Old 13th April 2017, 11:49   #543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
I was there with the whole gang and unfortunately we had three falls and all happened with Hyderabad tigers. Say my Hi to Sundar whenever you meet him
Nice to know Ajay! I meet Sunder regularly both on rides and off-rides too. And, he is a close friend. We are meeting this Saturday so will convey your hi to him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
And yes have ridden versys in offroad as well as highway condition but couldn't justify it.
Fair enough. We all tend to like the bikes that we invest in.

Like you even i cannot "justify" spending 7 lakhs more on a Tiger which is literally similar to Versys in every department and is most definitely inferior when you compare the most important part of a motorcycle, it's "suspension system"
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 13:26   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i cannot "justify" spending 7 lakhs more on a Tiger which is literally similar to Versys in every department and is most definitely inferior when you compare the most important part of a motorcycle, it's "suspension system"
Though I don't agree on the inferior claim, but Tiger certainly does not justify the almost double price tag of 14 lacs (of the Xcx) when compared to what is offered in this quite user friendly 7 lac package, now with the Ninja Green shade and gear indicator included. Shortlisting my next Sports Tourer now and waiting to see the pricing on the CKD 800GS, what with the 1200GS dropped to 15.9L, before I take a final call...

Last edited by dkaile : 13th April 2017 at 13:31.
Old 13th April 2017, 15:12   #545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Though I don't agree on the inferior claim, but Tiger certainly does not justify the almost double price tag of 14 lacs (of the Xcx)
Even if you don't agree the fact remains that Versys suspension (technically) is superior than the Tiger. And, the difference is pretty obvious too

Quote:
when compared to what is offered in this quite user friendly 7 lac package, now with the Ninja Green shade and gear indicator included. Shortlisting my next Sports Tourer now and waiting to see the pricing on the CKD 800GS, what with the 1200GS dropped to 15.9L, before I take a final call...
If 800GS is offered at 10 Lakhs, it would be an awesome package and can kill the XR/XRX from Tiger.

Also, I think you are quoting prices for north. Down south, you can add 2 lakhs to numbers you quoted above and at those prices it's not at all VFM

Imagine XCX is now nearly as expensive as the GS1200 and it's a no brainer what will people choose
Old 13th April 2017, 15:43   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Imagine XCX is now nearly as expensive as the GS1200 and it's a no brainer what will people choose
The GS will be near about 3 Lakhs dearer (atleast in Bangalore). If I had that kind of money I would definitely push and go for the legendary GS.

The explorer is 18.75 ex showroom Delhi. That model is truly dead.
Surajit333 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 17:51   #547
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surajit333 View Post
The GS will be near about 3 Lakhs dearer (atleast in Bangalore). If I had that kind of money I would definitely push and go for the legendary GS.

The explorer is 18.75 ex showroom Delhi. That model is truly dead.
Absolutely! When you can stretch for 17 lakhs. 3 lakhs additional for a legend like GS feels like pocket change

Triumph Explorer never took off globally as well as in India. And when it was launched it was prohibitively expensive which didn't help it get a foothold in the market. Now imagine getting a GS for cheaper than what folks paid for an Explorer a couple of years ago.

They must be crying tears as big as october cabbages
Old 14th April 2017, 15:47   #548
Distinguished - BHPian

Look what arrived earlier this week.

It's time to help the jay-walkers on our roads to an "alert mode"
Attached Thumbnails
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender.jpg  

Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender-2.jpg  

Old 14th April 2017, 16:15   #549
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Avi, these look like pressure horns. I believe they are not legal to be used for 2 wheelers? Had pressure horns (the Skoda type) on my Enfield and had to get rid of them because they were banned.

Last edited by v12 : 14th April 2017 at 16:41.
Old 14th April 2017, 16:35   #550
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Hey Avi, these look like pressure horns. I believe they are not legal to be used for 2 wheelers? Had pressure horns (the Skids type) on my Enfield and had to get rid of them because they were banned.
These are Air-Horns and exactly similar to Denali Sound Bombs. And, I agree with you that it has to be used judiciously and only when required
Old 14th April 2017, 16:42   #551
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Absolutely! When you can stretch for 17 lakhs. 3 lakhs additional for a legend like GS feels like pocket change
They are awesome bikes but....

Do ride the GS (i have), being a legend comes at a cost speak to owners about maintenance also. You have to look from an overall ownership experience before falling for legend title. Yes GS is still king of the adventure touring, but for India not very sure one can even justify the pain. Just today morning we had a bit of conversation running with one of these bikes throwing tantrums, so they are definitely not easy to live with in our conditions...

Quote:
Look what arrived earlier this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Hey Avi, these look like pressure horns. I believe they are not legal to be used for 2 wheelers?
Apart from legality, would caution you on the install. These are quiet sensitive to heat, water and vibration. The plastic part can break off from the metal compressor if there is any impact on it. Also while pressure washing ensure water does not go inside the compressor and trumpet. What i had done was, used the Fevibond rubber adhesive to seal the edges of the compressor completely before install.

Inspite of this a good pothole eventually broke it. The trumpet was close to the body of the car and came off the pump due to the impact. Tried fixing it once, but would not survive more than few weeks, so eventually removed it. This was many years ago in my zen, i had these for highway use and they are loud but kind of pleasant tone coming from inside the bonnet.

That brings me to the point as to how the rider would be impacted by the horn, coz unlike a car you would be the closest ear to the horn! Yes inside the helmet one should be fine. I suppose.

ps: Do not use that stupid relay that comes with it, get a decent relay from market instead. And keep this strictly for highway use.

EDIT: Attaching the horn part with some explanation, if that helps.
Kawasaki Versys 650: The good times with my 'Dark Knight' begin. EDIT: SOLD!-fullsizerender.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th April 2017 at 17:04. Reason: Please dont quote emoticons when quoting a post :D
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 17:02   #552
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Do ride the GS (i have), being a legend comes at a cost.Speak to owners about maintenance also. You have to look from an overall ownership experience before falling for legend title. Yes GS is still king of the adventure touring, but for India not very sure one can even justify the pain. Just today morning we had a bit of conversation running with one of these bikes throwing tantrums, so they are definitely not easy to live with in our conditions..
I agree Jaggu! Going my Haroon's comment on other thread, I'm already developing cold feet

My dreams are slowly but definitely getting shattered as doling out 20 Lakhs plus 25k-30k for a service (not to mention other incidental expenses) seems ridiculously expensive to own a "motorcycle" however great it might be. Besides, I'm nowhere there financially to justify that expense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
ps: Do not use that stupid relay that comes with it, get a decent relay from market instead. And keep this strictly for highway use.
Thanks for the inputs. Will keep it in mind when installing them. I got a great installer for electrical installations and I'm sure he will do a good job.

Btw, I dont use my Versys for city use at all. It's only for highway runs as you know and in India horns can act as a safety mechanism and help you from untoward incidents on highways
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2017, 17:19   #553
Senior - BHPian

Does the Versys 650 come with Clutch Assist as well as Slipper Clutch as I see in all its siblings including the Versys 300 and 1000?
Old 15th April 2017, 19:07   #554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Does the Versys 650 come with Clutch Assist as well as Slipper Clutch as I see in all its siblings including the Versys 300 and 1000?
No it does not. Never has. New 2017 doesnt have it as well.

2018 is expected to get it, as well as a significant reduction in weight (might use similar chassis weight saving gains as the new ninja 650).
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2017, 06:54   #555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
No it does not. Never has. New 2017 doesnt have it as well.

2018 is expected to get it, as well as a significant reduction in weight (might use similar chassis weight saving gains as the new ninja 650).
Hmmm. The new 2017 Ninja 650 certainly seems to have hit the sweet spot as far as the weight reduction and host of enhancements it has seen goes. Seems like a complete package now and one bike that all road biased riders will ever need. I hope the Versys incorporates these good points soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks