Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2020, 12:29   #106
BHPian

Re: Triumph Motorcycles India : Is after-sales service killing this brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I reached home and hopped off the bike and found that a puddle of coolant had started to form under the motorcycle.
I really doubt that some amateur has handled the work on your bike. There can't be any other explanation for this. Wonder who did the final TD/checks on this too. They also need to be held responsible.

First of all, the color in that coolant reservoir. Wow! That should not be looking like that let alone for a freshly swapped coolant but even for a 1-year-old coolant. Clearly, they have not cleaned out the goo/muck sediments from the reservoir. If I were to guess what they did was just removed the drain plug from the bottom of the right side engine case and then immediately poured coolant through the radiator and ran the bike for a few minutes till some air bubbles left the system and then topped up the reservoir.

Even if 1 round of distilled water/ vinegar was used to clean up the system this would not look like this. This can be explained as nothing but a lazy or amateur level job. They do charge for the coolant change as an x no. of hour job and do such a bad job. Such a shame.

And the reservoir tank should never be filled to the max level. Always keep it at the middle, reason is that when the coolant gets heated while doing its job (i.e Heat transfer) the coolant will expand and take up more volume in the reservoir tank, and reservoir tanks are designed in such a way that as soon as it hits the full mark there is a drain pipe that drains the excess fluid out which is what has happened in Neil's case.

Also, the reason why it's heating up unusually is that dirty coolant has way less boiling point and cools much less efficient and not to mention the air bubbles too.

Overall just an embarrassingly bad job.

Cheers
Krishna

Last edited by krishnaprasadgg : 8th October 2020 at 12:30.
krishnaprasadgg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 23:26   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

The Good News
After waiting a couple of weeks for the workload at the Cochin service center to stabilize, I reached out to them this week to see when they can take in my motorcycle. They agreed to take my bike yesterday and they sent a service technician with the Tiger 900 GT Pro to my place to take my bike. The Street Triple 675 was returned to me today morning with new brake fluids and new coolant. I had also asked them to check the rear brake pedal because it had too much of play and they had not checked it during the service. That too was done. Total cost incurred - Rs 0. I certainly appreciate the dealership for absorbing the cost incurred in this case.

All the pictures below are with the bike tilted on the side stand.

Triumph Motorcycles India : Is after-sales service killing this brand?-pa292502-large.jpg

Triumph Motorcycles India : Is after-sales service killing this brand?-pa292500-large.jpg

Triumph Motorcycles India : Is after-sales service killing this brand?-pa292499-large.jpg

However when my bike was handed over to me, I felt that it was a little hot. I asked the technician about it and he confirmed that everything was fine and there was nothing to worry about.

The Bad News
I took the bike out for a short spin in the early evening and within 10 - 15 minutes I found that the temperature bar reading was one level above the normal five bars. The fan was working overtime as well and these were the very same symptoms that I faced when the coolant overheated the last time. Now with the new coolant this should definitely not be happening, so fearing the worst, I headed straight to the Triumph service center and handed over the bike to them.

Triumph Motorcycles India : Is after-sales service killing this brand?-20201029_154737.jpg
6 out of 8 is worrying

Triumph Motorcycles India : Is after-sales service killing this brand?-20201029_155724.jpg
Back to where you came from

The service center guys were not able to explain why it was heating more than normal and felt that the 6 bar reading was par for course for the Triples. It certainly isnt for mine. Also, as I mentioned earlier, the fan comes on very rarely on my bike. So the current behaviour was definitely not expected, that too within 10 - 15 minutes of riding in moving traffic. Anyways they took the bike back and are investigating it once again. Hopefully its something simple and can be identified easily this time around. Needless to say, this entire merry go round is getting rather tiring by now.

The Funny News
To help me get home, the dealer rather helpfully arranged for the test ride Tiger 900 Rally Pro to be given to me. Within a 100 metres of leaving the dealership, I found the following warning being displayed prominently on the large TFT screen. So I immediately went back and showed them the issue, not sure if it was a puncture or if someone had lowered the air pressure in the tires. They fiddled with the settings on the bike, switched off the TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring system), told me that it was likely an issue with the sensor and that it was safe to ride.

Triumph Motorcycles India : Is after-sales service killing this brand?-20201029_161408_hdr.jpg

Some time later I stopped by a tire store and checked the air pressure. Both tires were under inflated by 8 PSI. The moment the tire pressures were corrected, the warning lights went away.

Oh and that other warning sign by the side, that is the ABS warning light.

Remember that Tiger 900 GT Pro that I rode yesterday? Well that bike had the same ABS warning light on all the time. When the bike was handed over to me, I was told that I dont need to worry about it but I wasnt told what it was. It was only today that I got to know that its the ABS light.

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.
neil.jericho is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 01:40   #108
Team-BHP Support

^^
As a practice, I always drop my cars or bike to dealership or my usual driver does. Maybe once I used the company driver and he came out with nicks on the alloys on my 530. That was a decade back.

Given the way of working of most premium bike dealerships, I will spend some time at workshop/ showroom/ nearby market but will always stay close. In fact, I don’t even allow them to take test rides unnecessarily after work is completed. It’s mostly a joy ride for these guys on the name of test ride. Also, try to find a senior mechanic who’s being working for a while and always let him do the work even if that means adjusting as per his available schedule. I almost always take appointments via such guy whenever I have to take my motorbike for repairs.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 02:49   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[b] Now with the new coolant this should definitely not be happening, so fearing the worst, I headed straight to the Triumph service center and handed over the bike to them.
If the drain and refill process was not done right, there could be air in the system. This can lead to overheating. You can check this by idling the bike and leaving the reservoir cap open. If you see air bubbles, there is air in the system. You'll basically have to let those air bubbles out, which will eventually lead to the coolant level dropping and then top up with distilled water or coolant pre mix, as needed. You'll have to repeat the engine idle process a few times. Start and Idle till it reaches operating temperature, shut off and let the bike stand for a bit. If you have access to the service manual, check if there are bleed bolts along the coolant circuit. This will also help get air out of the system.

From what I have been reading, Triumph is in trouble in their home market too. There have been gearbox failures reported on the T100 and T120's and electrical loom failures. They have been cutting corners on quality which is unacceptable.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 30th October 2020 at 02:53.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:28   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
[center]Attachment 2073615
=====
The service center guys were not able to explain why it was heating more than normal and felt that the 6 bar reading was par for course for the Triples. It certainly isnt for mine. Also, as I mentioned earlier, the fan comes on very rarely on my bike. So the current behaviour was definitely not expected, that too within 10 - 15 minutes of riding in moving traffic.
Gut feel after seeing the image, the air is still there in the system.

If not they need to check the coolant thermostat valve for controlling coolant circulation when cold. Most often if it is not working as it should, these symptoms happen. The one on my 675 had failed after i had sold the bike. He also mentioned similar symptoms.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 13:39   #111
Team-BHP Support

One more bad experience from one of the dealers https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...r-service.html

I guess things are going down again. Really sad to see this happen again and again.
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:43   #112
BHPian

This below message was posted in “Triumph India Svc issues” whatsup group. The below post has summarised the ground reality of Triumph service.

Note: The person who posted it in the group has given his consent to share it here.

—————————————
This is how I categorise the Triumph service issues in India.

1. Triumph India is so far displayed horrible judgement in giving the dealerships to mostly incompetent individuals. Their requirement is as long as you have money and some other dealership you are eligible.

2. Most dealerships are bought by individuals with pops money and some token MBA degree who were already running their other dealerships into ground. No passion, no commitment and non existing leadership apart from wanting the bragging rights of owning an international brand dealership.

3. Triumph India doesn't pay attention to what the dealerships are doing or how they are doing and the worst part is they actually pay little attention to customers complaints about the dealerships. Granted not every complaint may not be genuine but most are. The response from Triumph India is mostly to defend their dealer no matter what, try to bury or buy out the customer that is complaining and worst part is having no real intent to fix the core of these issues. Just sweep it under the rug and wait till the next disaster.

4. Dealers on the other hands want to pay peanuts to manage and support the dealership. Never hiring the quality people but just getting the monkeys for their peanuts. And no matter whom they hire the entire management has to run up to the owner for permission to do each and everything because they mostly hire monkeys and they need "guidance". And the owners generally come to the dealership with friends to showoff and are least bothered with the issues. And neither do they let or allow the staff they hire to make any decisions even if they are good.

5. And the monkeys do what they do best. Royal screw ups, corruption, stealing and padding the bills etc.

6. And due to the above customers get royally screwed. They get horrible ownership, increased costs, repetitive work, sometimes damaged bikes at the SVC. All this results in a unsavory experience to a good percentage of existing customers. And thus not many repetitive customers or even brand jump.

6. And considering your best brand ambassadors are the existing customer the brand ends up taking a hit one way or the other. And those few customers who are actually aware what need to be done on their bikes and notice all this crap complain to TI and may even complain to Triumph UK. And here is the best part, they mostly ignore these complaints and start blaming these real hardcore Triumph owners/fans of damaging Triumph brand name when in fact the evidence shows that they are actually trying to help the brand. Their best effort is hoping to stall as long as possible so customer loses interest in pursuing the issue.

7. Meanwhile the pops money owners run the dealerships to the ground and another city another Triumph dealership closes. And customers once again pay for all these shenanigans.

7. And then the cycle starts all over again with a new pops money owner starring a new (rebranded) Triumph dealership in the same city. And the story here pretty much loops back again to point # 1.

Last edited by shan_ned : 3rd March 2021 at 14:45.
shan_ned is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2021, 14:46   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Nothing very different from the Kawasaki experience. Vote with your wallets boys, get a Honda and say bye bye.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 03:36   #114
BHPian

I was just going through this thread and I wonder how Pune Triumph is. I have booked a Street Triple R last to last Sunday and they have stated the delivery to happen in Mid November.

Though the delivery is not fixed, everytime I have called them somehow the delivery date is pushed. Example - while booking - 30 days you will get the bike. A week later - 45 days, some delay in TH. Yesterday - 60 days, major issue in container availability. And I have already gone through 1 price hike since booking.

I had zeroed on the z900 as well, but looking at its 220Kgs weight, I decided to go the 765R.
EshanS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 11:46   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EshanS View Post
. Example - while booking - 30 days you will get the bike. A week later - 45 days, some delay in TH. Yesterday - 60 days, major issue in container availability. And I have already gone through 1 price hike since booking.
Hey Eshan,
I visited Pune Triumph dealership last week and they told that there is some serious container availability issue. They are committing minimum 3 months for future bookings.
abhi_tjet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 15:00   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Hey Eshan,
I visited Pune Triumph dealership last week and they told that there is some serious container availability issue. They are committing minimum 3 months for future bookings.
Containers are available. It's the price that the shipper does not want to pay for. Container price was USD 900, now its USD 4000.

A lot of containers will become free after October once goods are exported from China to Europe / US for the pre-Christmas and Thanksgiving shopping demands. Shippers are hoping to take advantage of the lower demand around that time.
no_fear is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 15:32   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Containers are available. It's the price that the shipper does not want to pay for. Container price was USD 900, now its USD 4000.

A lot of containers will become free after October once goods are exported from China to Europe / US for the pre-Christmas and Thanksgiving shopping demands. Shippers are hoping to take advantage of the lower demand around that time.
No wonder they (Triumph) don't want to do business right now as I see this to be a dealer worry than more of a demand/supply issue. One of the insiders at the dealership (pune) stated that my booking no is 4 for triple R. That's just one motorcycle, one variant that we are talking about in the gap of 1 to 1.5 months, that too from one dealership in the country.

I think Triumph India should step up and get this thing sorted, or else their reputation is at stake considering there are other contenders with some lucrative offerings.
Old 28th February 2022, 15:21   #118
BHPian

So did you get the delivery of your bike finally? Triumph Pune is a decent dealer. Issue is that they have had a lot of attrition of skilled workforce and their service quality used to be better.
I hope they can get it back to being the way it used to be 2-3 years ago when I got my bike.
Old 1st March 2022, 12:31   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Nothing very different from the Kawasaki experience. Vote with your wallets boys, get a Honda and say bye bye.
BMW Bangalore is brilliant too, simple stuff that was asked was not done and absolutely cocky folks, who does not have any respect for customers. I think Bangalore can be voted as the worst city for vehicle service!
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2022, 14:21   #120
Senior - BHPian

Is Keerthi, Triumph showroom in Bengaluru shutting down/shifting (Residency Rd)? They're tearing out the insides. Board is gone too

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks