Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2013, 08:43   #211
Senior - BHPian

re: How to Buy and live with a Superbike in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Any bike can be sourced but due to stupid Indian law of only 800+ cc bikes will be considered as premium bike and they qualify for import duty exemption, any thing less than 800 cc should pay the full import duty and taxes which actually crosses 110% all together, that way people importing 600 cc bike may end up paying a lot extra compared to the liter class bike.
Other way to avoid such a heavy duty and taxes is CKD route, which Triumph is trying to implement in India, lets see when it's going to happen.
Whats so silly about this law? IMO the govt has maturely tried to protect the growing motorcycle makers of India. If we had no import duty on small capacity bikes (below 800cc), we would be the world's dumping ground for all kinds of bikes from all over. Its important for our economy that we manufacture products here instead of merely assembling or developing showrooms for their products.
If the market keeps growing as it is, within the next 3-5 years we should see great 300-800cc bikes from Bajaj, TVS, Hero and the likes.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 09:01   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
(Don't spend too much time answering, my biggest worry is that it is passing fancy; but everytime I chance upon a 2 stroke video on the net, and hear that revving noise, I dream about it for the next 2 days; and this has happened regularly for the last 5 years, since I sold off by RXG after I got out of college.)
Mods: Please delete this post if its too off-topic.

Dear manolin, you want to get back on to a 2 stroke, this is the time. They are getting more and more expensive by the day (never thought an RD would cost 300K, an RXZ 5speed 100K or a Jawa 120K!) and quality spares are becoming harder to come by.

If you feel it is a passing dream, why not start with something small and less expensive than a biggie from the 80's or 90's which could quickly kill off your enthusiasm since it would be one hell of a task to restore it to reliable and usable condition? Get back with an RX or worst case an RD and then see if you actually enjoy it!

I am not just preaching, you could look at my signature. I can't ride anything with more than 2 strokes.

Last edited by Viju : 9th May 2013 at 09:04. Reason: Typo!
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 10:27   #213
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Whats so silly about this law? IMO the govt has maturely tried to protect the growing motorcycle makers of India. If we had no import duty on small capacity bikes (below 800cc), we would be the world's dumping ground for all kinds of bikes from all over. Its important for our economy that we manufacture products here instead of merely assembling or developing showrooms for their products.
If the market keeps growing as it is, within the next 3-5 years we should see great 300-800cc bikes from Bajaj, TVS, Hero and the likes.
I don't think so any of them have the capability of building bikes on their own, Bajaj's first successful bike Pulsar's engine was designed in Japan, Hero was never in picture till they tide up with Honda in early 80's and after their breakup again they tied with American bike co., same applies to TVS and now they tied up with BMW. This law is just to protect Indian companies, but we are living in competitive age and best product will sure sell, let other players come in and give competition to Indian bikes as I want the best bike not the cheapest or just for the sake of Made in India logo. If you think that they can design and sell 300-800 cc bike, then just wait n watch that what's there in pocket as a future product, and I am talking about minimum twin cylinder basic bikes, forget the high end inline or V fours.
Do you really think that stopping the major giants from entering India will help our economy grow? These Multinational automobile giants are generating more jobs than any other Indian automobile manufacturer, I know few companies based out of Bombay, Bangalore, Delhi etc. producing spare parts for high end cars n bikes and people hardly know about them.
You might be happy to wait for another 3-5 years for Pulsar 800 single pod or max twin with some 8 spark plugs, i cant and take the 1969 make Honda CB750(worlds first real super bike) as bench mark for Indian manufacturer and compare with 2018 Indian made 300-800 cc bike.
Don't mind but once you'll start looking for super bike options in Indian you'll come to know why I am so frustrated. We are paying almost double the cost for the same thing what people are paying abroad.
Ajaybiz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 13:59   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
I don't think so any of them have the capability of building bikes on their own
Do you really think that stopping the major giants from entering India will help our economy grow?
Just my 2 cents on this whole discussion.

While the 800 cc law protects the domestic firms from international dumping, it also DOES NOT prohibit the global giants from entering India with their medium capacity products. All they need to do is look at the viability of assembly and homlogation with ARAI. Yes, a supersport 600 or an 800 won't generate enough volumes to justify the infra but then like Kawasaki and BMW one can always share the infra with the Indian firms. I know I am making it sound much easier than it is and I am sure the strategy teams of these global firms have more concrete and practical information vis-a-vis me. But then again, if HD and Triumph (cough! cough!) can go the stand-alone way, why can't the others?

My second thought is on the readiness of these global firms in terms of on-ground support and commitment towards these premium machines. Almost all the biggies (barring Kawasaki) struggle to have a service footprint even across the metros of the country. Consequently spares and service for these bikes cost a bomb, not to mention the disappointing training levels of the staff in some cases. Also, don't forget that a high-compression engine would require a minimum of a 93 RON fuel which sadly is invisible across 99% of India. The roads, race-track availability, traffic etc is another debate altogether.

Yes, a GSX750R will cannibalise and outsell a Gixxer 1000 and similarly an r6 or a CBR600 will be more affordable and better volumes for these companies, but then do you really want to have double the volumes without having double the service/sale infra in place? Most of the SBK owners I know are forced to import spares off e-bay or ship from abroad; all the while risking the wrath of the customs at the airport.

A friend is on tour to Leh on his Ninja 650 and his radiator fan broke down due to some issue. The poor chap is struggling to find any sort of help. If this is the state of Kawasaki then how much better would a Tiger 800 or a CBR600F be?

What I absolutely and whole-heartedly support and endorse is a reduction in the insane import duties levied on the CBUs. It defies all logic and is a sin to penalise an individual for indulging in his passion just because "he can afford a superbike".

Also, the pace of indigenous evolution of the two-wheelers is going a little too slow in my opinion. But then again, in the country of the "kitna deti hai" and "dhoom bike hai kya", the enthusiast needs to take a back seat. Slowly and gradually we are improving. From the 200s to the 390s, the wheel is churning. Lets hope our infrastructure evolves at pace with the market demands and incomes.
narula123 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th August 2013, 09:52   #215
Team-BHP Support

While I do keep dreaming about the HP-4, I would want something like the 600F and get time to ride it around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narula123 View Post
A friend is on tour to Leh on his Ninja 650 and his radiator fan broke down due to some issue. The poor chap is struggling to find any sort of help. If this is the state of Kawasaki then how much better would a Tiger 800 or a CBR600F be?
How did he get out of this mess? How was the support?
Old 15th August 2013, 12:41   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
While I do keep dreaming about the HP-4, I would want something like the 600F and get time to ride it around.

How did he get out of this mess? How was the support?
You can replace the Ninja's fan with a similar Denso brand fan from Honda or Maruti cars. Mounting is very slightly different but can be managed by an expert mechanic. Have heard of some folks trying this out and managing to make it work.

In any case, my friend din't take the risk and trucked his bike back to Delhi instead.
narula123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2014, 22:10   #217
BHPian

A friend's M1800 was involved in a low side recently. What is best means of importing parts like air filter case, headlamp mask,etc
Old 10th March 2014, 23:47   #218
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhilash95 View Post
A friend's M1800 was involved in a low side recently. What is best means of importing parts like air filter case, headlamp mask,etc
If used, lookup eBay.com / eBay.Co.uk, most parts suppliers have international shipping options.
For new, bikebandit.com albeit shade more expensive than its competitors has excellent international shipping options.
Old 14th May 2014, 18:17   #219
BHPian

MODS please delete if not the right thread to post.

I am in the market to buy a 600cc bike. Its going to be my first bike above 220cc. Right now i ride a Karizma and Pulsar 220, as my daily ride. I have been approached by many dealers, selling grey market bikes. So coming to my query,

I have finalized to buy a Yamaha R6, 2008, No aftermarkets. quoted price is 6 lacs including commission and transport form Ludhiana. So the thing is that I havent seen the bike in person. But keeping trust in the dealer I have agreed to buy it.

Does anyone have any info on a Yellow R6, with MH reg plates and X000 as the number.

Any info would be helpful. THANKS
Old 14th May 2014, 20:55   #220
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
MODS please delete if not the right thread to post.

I am in the market to buy a 600cc bike. Its going to be my first bike above 220cc. Right now i ride a Karizma and Pulsar 220, as my daily ride. I have been approached by many dealers, selling grey market bikes. So coming to my query,

Any info would be helpful. THANKS
Not sure but, i think the amount is too much. Why are you trying to buy a bike from ludhiyana when the biggest mumbai is couple of hours away from you.

Also there are many dealers in mumbai and some in dadar. (i know because i visited them in 2009. Not sure of the situation now.) Why don't you go and check and then decide?
  (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2014, 09:37   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post

Also there are many dealers in mumbai and some in dadar.
Could you PM me the phone numbers if you still have them.
Old 15th May 2014, 12:07   #222
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
Could you PM me the phone numbers if you still have them.
When i was in pune around 5 years ago, i wanted a super bike, then i did a research and visited those dealers. My budget at that point was ~3.5-4 Lakh. And what i wanted was something in 400- 600 CC Japnese bikes of make > 2002. And i couldn't find one.

If do you still think, i still have those numbers which i had around 5 years ago?

Bud, use internet. Did you try OLX and Quikr? I found some in the first search.
http://www.olx.in/q/superbike/c-379
And there are some R1's for 7.5. Not sure how genuine they are.

Also there used to be a Imported motorcycles showroom in GM road, on the same side of that famous sports bar. sorry * don't remember any names. Go there, have a look, and Talk. You will definitely get some advice over there.

I would say, Try to pick anything from Yamaha's stable, Honda's or from Kawasaki. Nothing else. We cannot afford anything else and only these two brands have Low failure rate and longevity & spares could be imported from China or Singapore or any other asian country .

Old 15th May 2014, 16:46   #223
BHPian

The above mentioned deal just got cancelled as the bike was a grey market purchase and seller said that he wouldn't refund the advance if the bike was impounded during transport. He wasn't ready to take any responsibility. And top of that he was going to transport the bike in TATA ACE .

Now as @gemi_kk has mentioned above, will try and look for some dealers in Mumbai or Pune itself.
Old 2nd July 2014, 17:47   #224
BHPian

Anybody from Bangalore interested in buying a SBK can have a look at this -

http://www.mstcindia.co.in/TenderEnt...m_Details.aspx
Old 22nd August 2014, 14:05   #225

I want to buy a imported Super sport bike of 600 cc of any make. My budget is around 4.5-5 lakhs. I want to ride in Imphal, Manipur. Presently, I am riding a Ninja 300. I want to upgrade to 600 cc. Please suggest me a bike dealer or a seller wher I can buy the buy with clean papers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks