Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Brand New Yeti or Well Kept Used Tucson?
Brand New Yeti Elegance 75 71.43%
Very Well Kept Used Hyundai Tucson 30 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2011, 07:05   #16
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: What to do? Brand New Yeti Elegance or Beautifully kept used Tucson?

no. the car that is coming by Winter 2011 or max Jan 2012 is more likely to be the renault modus and NOT the duster.
personally I dont want to wait one more year for the Duster as I have said earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
It's coming around end of this year. Can't see a SUV with covers there with winter 2011 writ large? Tucson is way to dated. Can you give us an idea as what you may be paying for the Tucson, may that will be the deal clincher.
Old 10th September 2011, 09:21   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Tucson is a brilliant vehicle and would have been an ideal choice if bought new. But now the car being out of production for so long,buying it 2nd hand would be a great deal of risk.
-High spare prices and no AMC(as in case of Yeti-4yr/100K kms) would be greater danger.
-With an old car, you have the possibility of having to spend 'heavily' on maintenance from day 1. It isn't the case in a new car,though you might have to spend something.
-Resale of the Tucson after 2-3 years might give you trouble or a very low price(it's mere speculation).
-A NEW car is a new car anyday. In addition, you 'should' be getting a hassle-free(assuming Skoda ASService is better now) ownership for 4yrs/100k kms.

Finally at the end of much blabbering on my part,i would vote for Yeti.
Old 10th September 2011, 11:25   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

akshay. some chaps say I need both heart and head surgery to be considering these two vehicles.

Yes the Yeti is very attractive. Equally the Tuc is a super attractive thing.

The poll results so far are quite clear - I will let it run the 21 days and see anyway!

I ll put it down here:
Though I really like that vehicle what puts me off the Yeti is the after sales danger and a lot of feedback that the Skoda Sales guys are very nice until the car is sold after which they begin to mistreat the consumer. A bit of a Jekyll and Hyde situation which I do not want to experience the hard way.
The only reason not to buy the Tucson is because it is out of production now, hence a bit old. The Yeti is also much, much more modern and better put together.

About the reliability, my view is that self driven European cars do tend to have much less failures than driver driven cars. Also the Yeti does not have DSG so that is a big + for reliability. The Skoda service in Bangalore is quite good I think, and guys like Ajmat know the Skoda service people quite well, maybe you can PM him on that.

Hyundai A.s.s can be crappy too.

So I think you should just go for the better car here.
Old 10th September 2011, 12:19   #19
BHPian

Hi Shankar,
If you are not willing to keep Tucson for more than 3 years, then go for it. Though looks are dated its tough vehicle and if current mileage is less than 50k you can happily drive it for another 50k or so.
At present we have not many choices as a true urban crossover(diesel) apart from Yeti.
Diesel Outlander, diesel GV, RAV 4, locally assembled X Trail have good potential.
Old 10th September 2011, 12:29   #20
Senior - BHPian

You want to go in for a Yeti despite the fact that it is a Skoda? you are one brave soul my friend! I know a few skoda owners in my inner circle, and without exception, they are all ruing their decision of buying a skoda on account of pathetic ASCs and the callous attitude of the company!
Old 10th September 2011, 12:51   #21
Team-BHP Support

Shankar, just go for the Yeti. That will be a true upgrade from your Scorpio. From reading your requirements from various threads, I am quite convinced that Yeti is the ideal option for you. Maybe just wait out until October, so that you’ll get to know of any updates/offers around Diwali.

And good decision to start a new thread on this. All the best!

Edit: Just saw this piece on autocarindia.com. Renault Koleos launched for 22.99 lakhs ex.showroom Delhi.

http://www.autocarindia.com/news/ren...hes-koleos-suv

Last edited by vb-saan : 10th September 2011 at 12:55. Reason: comment on koleos added
Old 10th September 2011, 13:08   #22
BHPian

Possibly not the best response - If your running is less than 3500 Kms. per month look at a petrol vehicle - specifically Suzuki Grand Vitara second hand ( a bit difficult to get nowadays but no harm in searching). Compact car, low ratio gear box for all your moderate off-roading & low maintenance.
Old 10th September 2011, 13:14   #23
BANNED

sridhar - petrol suv will make me feel guilty each time I drive it to the hills. its diesel for me all the way as of now even though my running is 1300 odd kms per month
himanshu - I cant help liking the Yeti for what it offers.
rao - possibly you may be right. i am considering this purchase for usage for 2-3 years or so.
vb - while I love the yeti it IS expensive at 21 on road and it IS a tad small ish compared to the Tuc
akshay and ashis - points very well taken.

it is a horrible dilemma indeed!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 10th September 2011 at 13:15.
Old 10th September 2011, 16:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

voted for the skoda yeti,excellent urban off roader the perfect size for Bangalore city , topped to brim with gizmos .It is a very very attractive and practical car.
I believe i suites all your requirements.
The only sore point is skoda a.s.s. and the high price tag.
Have your considered buying used if you find a good one ?

I dont see any other cars currently in the market which may suite your requirements so well.
Old 10th September 2011, 17:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Clear, Objective and plain speaking views, suggestions, help, ideas from anyone on this Forum are very welcome indeed - I have wracked my brains for the last 2 months on this conundrum but am unable to find a solution within myself.

Looking forward to some action please!
This is not very objective advice, but anyway, here goes.

If both these cars pass you on the road, which one makes you do a double take [I suspect it might be the Yeti]? Buy that. Simple!

As far as the after sales part is concerned, I firmly believe that [in India] apart from MSIL, Honda & Toyota, there is no other co which consistently gives a 9/10 experience w.r.t. servicing, spares availability etc. Whether you get a good or bad A.S.S experience totally depends on which side of the bed you and the guy at the ASC got out of.

I sincerely hope that you don't go into an analysis paralysis stage, and get the car that you WANT!! Good luck!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 10th September 2011 at 17:14.
Old 10th September 2011, 17:33   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeti all the way!

A new car trumps an out-of-production one any day. Plus, the Yeti is a head-turner while the Tucson is ok-looking. The Yeti's interiors are too die for. You have a decent A.S.S option in Bangalore in Vinayak (I think!) and best of all the ghost of Mechatronics will hopefully not haunt you since it has the more trusty manual tranny!
Old 10th September 2011, 19:39   #27
BANNED

MS - no used Yetis yet in the marketplace.
NOOPSTER - My big irritation is the huge price tag and relatively smaller space + this fact that many of my friends have also been saying (after some probing on my part) that Skoda service is poor and they dont care once theyve sold the car.
ComfortablyNumb- double take notwithstanding, this above worry is not going away easily.
Old 10th September 2011, 19:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

@shankar

You keep saying that the Yeti is small. Is it really that big a difference??

I am asking because from the external dimensions and wheelbase, the Tucson doesnt really seem much bigger than the Yeti.
Old 10th September 2011, 19:55   #29
BANNED

yeti consistently fails the laterally placed golf bag plus trolley test because to fit it in one has to put one seat atleast down.
tuc consistently passes this test because it is perfectly wide in the luggage bay though smaller than the Scorp luggage bay.

incidentally this lateral golf bag test is one of the considerations which led me to buy the Scorp instead of the Fusion 3.5 years back.

The Tuc is a great little ute. the Yeti is superbly engineered but less of an ute than the Tuc.

im basically a simple ute loving chap.
couldnt care less about flash value and what other people may think about my choice of vehicle.
I m a one car person so the same car will transport me to a wedding or formal function as well as to the club, golf course, shops or the vet as the case may be.

Very difficult this dilemma - Im beginning to tear my hair out in distress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
@shankar

You keep saying that the Yeti is small. Is it really that big a difference??

I am asking because from the external dimensions and wheelbase, the Tucson doesnt really seem much bigger than the Yeti.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 10th September 2011 at 19:59.
Old 10th September 2011, 20:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
yeti consistently fails the laterally placed golf bag plus trolley test because to fit it in one has to put one seat atleast down.
tuc consistently passes this test because it is perfectly wide in the luggage bay though smaller than the Scorp luggage bay.

incidentally this lateral golf bag test is one of the considerations which led me to buy the Scorp instead of the Fusion 3.5 years back.

The Tuc is a great little ute. the Yeti is superbly engineered but less of an ute than the Tuc.

im basically a simple ute loving chap.
couldnt care less about flash value and what other people may think about my choice of vehicle.
I m a one car person so the same car will transport me to a wedding or formal function as well as to the club, golf course, shops or the vet as the case may be.

Very difficult this dilemma - Im beginning to tear my hair out in distress!
Is it simply the "golf bag test" or does the Yeti's spaciousness fail on other counts too compared to Tucson??

You seem to be the one tearing the hair out, but the voting public seems squarely in favour of the Yeti.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks