Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2014, 18:55   #166
D4D
BHPian

Re: Honda Mobilio or Renault Duster....Time to Resist or Splurge??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post

With various SUV's in pipeline from Hyundai, Maruti, Mahindra, etc, is it better to wait for an year? (OR) choose one among Mobilio/Duster?

Please check this out:

http://www.team-bhp.com/news/rumour-...ch-2-suvs-2016

Also, Hyundai ix25 is spied in India. So wait a little bit.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 19:22   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Please check this out:

http://www.team-bhp.com/news/rumour-...ch-2-suvs-2016

Also, Hyundai ix25 is spied in India. So wait a little bit.
Thanks D4D. Based on what I read from internet, SX4 Cross might be priced in 10-14 lakh range. And Maruti compact SUV might take a longer turnaround time for launch in India.

As you said in your previous post, I'm contemplating changing expectation as well. Tata Zest is my radar now with its excellent pricing for the value being offered. I'm concerned with its lower ground clearance (165) on Diesel variant and the other biggest concern is my heart.

Mind says Zest, Heart says Wait.......

If I wait another week without getting tempted to book Zest, I'll go all the way till Mar/Apr 2015 for the launch of new products.
Old 26th August 2014, 21:13   #168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Thanks D4D. Based on what I read from internet, SX4 Cross might be priced in 10-14 lakh range. And Maruti compact SUV might take a longer turnaround time for launch in India.
Need to wait and watch if indeed the S-Cross comes in the Duster range. Because Maruti has claimed it to be a premium X-over. If I go with that supposition, I was guessing it would be priced above the Duster. And so would the Hyundai I-25. Anyway its guess work now. No point speculating. But right now I am placing my bet at both S-Cross and Hyindai I-25 to lie in the 15-17L range.
Old 26th August 2014, 21:54   #169
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I am placing my bet at both S-Cross and Hyindai I-25 to lie in the 15-17L range.
That's terribly expensive for crossovers.

But from what I read from wikipedia, the ix25 is based on the i20 platfrorm and is still hatchback like. So it shouldn't cost ~14 lakh

The S-cross, however, is based on the new SX4 platform. It could be expensive.

The fact is, if the monocoque SUV touches ~15 lakh and Indians buy it, Mahindra is the one who'll be watching carefully.

Also, if they succeed, Toyota may be tempted to increase the price of the next gen Innova.
Old 26th August 2014, 22:12   #170
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
That's terribly expensive for crossovers.

But from what I read from wikipedia, the ix25 is based on the i20 platfrorm and is still hatchback like. So it shouldn't cost ~14 lakh

The S-cross, however, is based on the new SX4 platform. It could be expensive.
Not sure about the platforms. I am looking at it the following way:

Size : 4m+. Implies comfortable for 5 and a big boot.
Engine: 1.6L DDIS/CRDI 120bhp ~300 Nm Torque (I think 1.6 MJD has 320)
Features: Loaded
Build Quality : Solid
Interiors : Plush.

If one is paying 12-14 for Duster, any product with above list would only be priced more. Thats the only logic I am going with.
Old 27th August 2014, 12:57   #171
BHPian

Re: Duster vs other SUVs & MUVs

With all these hatchback-turned-SUVs and compact SUVs being launched or getting ready to be launched, what will be the status of the original big boy safari storme?

Besides, with the duster 4x4 launch round the corner, i am sure tata might be losing some storme buyers, that is unless they spring a surprise with the upcoming storme facelift.

Since i have a storme 4x4 on my radar in the coming years, how will duster 4x4 be stacked against the tata truck?
Old 27th August 2014, 13:08   #172
BHPian

Im in the same boat Sreepathy. Iam considering the Suzuki S cross also into my equation. Would be interesting to see how this pans out!
josepeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 14:09   #173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreepathy View Post

Since i have a storme 4x4 on my radar in the coming years, how will duster 4x4 be stacked against the tata truck?
The only advantage the Storme will have is the interior space. Other than that, nothing else. If anything, unlike scorpio and Safari, you wouldn't need to go for bush changes and suspension related jobs every 15000-20000kms (a problem in the 2.5 ton beasts)

Secondly, you will get about 50% more fuel efficiency. This means, that if you use 300 liters of diesel a month a duster will use about 200 liters of diesel.

So for a long runner doing 3000kms/month average, that is a 6000rs saving every month.

This is a big saving. To put it in perspective this means your EMI for a duster 4x4 will be in the ballpark of a 4x2 Tata Safari even with price higher by about 3L
tsk1979 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 17:25   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
Im in the same boat Sreepathy. Iam considering the Suzuki S cross also into my equation. Would be interesting to see how this pans out!
S-Cross seems to be a good option.
but even though everybody is saying it will be a real crossover, from the pics I have seen on several portals, it looks like the ground clearance is not much, nowhere near Duster or Ecosport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The only advantage the Storme will have is the interior space. Other than that, nothing else. If anything, unlike scorpio and Safari, you wouldn't need to go for bush changes and suspension related jobs every 15000-20000kms (a problem in the 2.5 ton beasts)

Secondly, you will get about 50% more fuel efficiency. This means, that if you use 300 liters of diesel a month a duster will use about 200 liters of diesel.

So for a long runner doing 3000kms/month average, that is a 6000rs saving every month.

This is a big saving. To put it in perspective this means your EMI for a duster 4x4 will be in the ballpark of a 4x2 Tata Safari even with price higher by about 3L
You are right. When I test drove duster (not the 4x4), apart from the hard clutch and turbo lag, I felt that the interior space was indeed a problem. But, yes, I will be much lighter on the pocket.

Well, I guess one can't get everything in one good package!

But from what I have read from initial previews, the 4x4 seems to have a lot of changes in the cabin (may be for good). Plus there is ESP and ASR. However, I am a bit skeptical about the longevity part too

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th August 2014 at 17:42.
Old 27th August 2014, 17:43   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreepathy View Post

But from what I have read from initial previews, the 4x4 seems to have a lot of changes in the cabin (may be for good). Plus there is ESP and ASR. However, I am a bit skeptical about the longevity part too
Places where Duster 4x4 is sold, it is considered a reliable vehicle.
As for turbo lag, due to shorter gearing in 4x4, that is not that much of a problem.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 18:14   #176
Team-BHP Support

Even if the compact brigade takes over, there will always will exist market for the bigger ones. Thats simply because there are many who like their space while travelling. So for argument sake, even if we assume a Duster and a Safari (both 4x2) are priced same, there would be takers for both. Thats because there would be one group who wont compromise on space, while the other would need the higher FE and the smaller footprint.

Its just a question of what the buyer needs. For that matter if a IX25 is priced at 17-18L (OTR 4X2/4x4), there will be takers for the same too. Again, simply because some wont compromise on premium build and interiors.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 20:01   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
The only advantage the Storme will have is the interior space. Other than that, nothing else. If anything, unlike scorpio and Safari, you wouldn't need to go for bush changes and suspension related jobs every 15000-20000kms (a problem in the 2.5 ton beasts)...
Could someone belt the Duster on (bad) roads like they do a Safari or Scorpio? For me SUV should be something you can abuse (maintain average speeds) on bad roads. How would the Duster take it compared to the ladder-frame products?

I thought the ladder-frame vehicles also will have heavy duty parts to take on the abuse and hence some of those bushes & parts might actually last more than monocoque products under similar usage.

Edit:: When I say "belting", this is the kind of driving I mean. Hope @Samurai doesn't mind me using his video.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th August 2014 at 20:10. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
Old 27th August 2014, 20:41   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
one group who wont compromise on space, while the other would need the higher FE and the smaller footprint
More than the FE, my preference for Duster was the big difference in the refinement (based on the Aria driving experience, as the TD was before the launch of storm)
Old 27th August 2014, 21:03   #179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Could someone belt the Duster on (bad) roads like they do a Safari or Scorpio?.
I don't belt the Safari like Sharath does his GV. Still I need to go in for frequent suspension jobs.
Ditto for Scorpio guys. People who use it frequently in the Himalayas often have to go for Bush kit replacements(every 15k).

So if you are talking about "belting", Scorpio and Safari are not the vehicles to belt, unless you do not mind frequent suspension jobs. With a lighter weight, I expect the Duster to be atleast as good/bad as the Safari Scorpio, if not better.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2014, 21:12   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Could someone belt the Duster on (bad) roads like they do a Safari or Scorpio? For me SUV should be something you can abuse (maintain average speeds) on bad roads. How would the Duster take it compared to the ladder-frame products?
Oh the Duster is brilliant. You can easily belt it on such roads at good speeds without feeling a thing. It just glides over all of them without any discomfort inside.

The TD vehicle I drove had 25K kms on it and was being driven like this daily. It had one rattle from the rear hatch.

Can't say how well it will stand up to abuse over long term like the GV but it should be way better than the Safari, Scorpio or XUV.

The GV will still be the ultimate but Duster is second with all others some distant away.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks