Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2016, 09:15   #226
Team-BHP Support

Re: Duster vs other SUVs & MUVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinthru' View Post
PapaBravo,
While I too agree on the capabilities of the Duster AWD, but isn't the Scorpio S4 with 4x4 better, less priced, proper 4x4 option, 2 additional seats, more spacious, ladder on frame, etc..?
Don't want to confuse anyone, but just my thoughts...
Cheers !
Both have their own set of advantages and disadvantages. You have to prioritize your needs and pick.

Advantage Duster
# Better cruising speed
While a Scorpio can do 120+ all day, it will lose out badly on fuel economy and brakes aren't very confidence inspiring either.
# Maybe better ride/handling
I am not very sure as at places it is evens [very bad roads + potholes] but high speed composure will be better as should be handling, this being a monocoque.
# Feel of sedan/hatch
Some people don't like the tall seating position.

Advantage Scorpio
# Low ratio
# More spacious with better bolstered seats
# Tall seating
# Better illumination [stock] and better cooling [AC]

I got the Scorpio as M&M has better presence as far as service aspect goes and I needed a ladder on frame based SUV. Both are pretty good SUV's in their own right. Pick one based on your needs. BHPian Himadri might provide better insight as he has owned both [Duster 2WD 110]

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
my Scorpio S10, 4WD.
Hope he reverts
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 12:37   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinthru' View Post
PapaBravo,
While I too agree on the capabilities of the Duster AWD, but isn't the Scorpio S4 with 4x4 better, less priced, proper 4x4 option, 2 additional seats, more spacious, ladder on frame, etc..?
Don't want to confuse anyone, but just my thoughts...
Cheers !
Hi ridinthru,

To be very frank, its not about being better car. Infact, I think a better car is a car that ticks the most boxes for your requirement. My vehicle has maximum two people (my wife & I) traveling in any trip so the extra seats were not required. I wanted a good handler which can cruise all day long goes on most of the broken roads. Scorpio is a terrific vehicle but as I said, Duster ticked more boxes for my requirement.

Sheel has mentioned clearly the Pros & Cons. One has to see their priority & decide.

Regards,

Pawan
PapaBravo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2016, 21:48   #228
Senior - BHPian

Re: New/Used 4x4 for 15 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
Any updates on your test-drives?

What's the final call like?
Viral with 105 temperature landed me in hospital for the entire last week, I'm just glad it wasn't typhoid or malaria or dengue, scary experience until all reports came.

Since the new car is dependent on the house purchase it'd be a used car first (most likely an i10) for the wife, then the house and then the Duster/XUV.

Since the house purchase would take 2-3 months at least, we've decided to park the test drives until the house purchase. It'd be better to buy one instantly while the test experience is fresh. The 3-3.5 lakh differential is something that my wife keeps reminding me so I'm kind of certain we'd get the Duster but I wouldn't take this decision without test driving both cars thoroughly. My super boss got another XUV (new-gen) for himself so I'm planning to drive that too over next week, will keep you all posted!
Old 11th March 2018, 13:15   #229
BHPian

Buying a Pre-Owned Compact SUV. Help Please!

She is aging now, I can feel it. She tries her best not to tell me because she has a golden heart that is still in prime of health even after years of hardships. But then the years have not been kind to her limbs and she now suffers from severe Arthritis as is characteristic of her kind and origins. The battle scars on her face and body sing praises of her voyages and adventures but they are slowly turning from being marks of character to being tell tales of her age. She pleads with me to let her surmount the final frontier by facing the truth (Sach) but I am skeptical and too emotional, for she might fall apart. She needs to take it slow now. While she still strives hard but she is no longer able to keep up. She must find a battle less challenging, less laboring for I know she still is a proud warrior but she must pass on the baton to a new(er) warrior.

And hence the start of search for replacement for my 2010 Swift Petrol that has clocked 1,40,000 on the Odo and taken me places that no hatch should venture to. My mountain goat as I'd like to call her is a veteran of Multiple Ladakh trips, Zanskar, Spiti and innumerable short weekend runs to the beautiful states of Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh.
I am an avid traveler with a special love for driving and (driving on) the hills. My monthly run averages around 1800 Kilometers ~ 20,000 Kilometers per year. I am now looking for a lateral upgrade (Thank you GTO for that wonderful and immensely rationale thread) by looking for a worthy C-SUV by shelling the amount fit to buy a new hatch. Below, I list my reasons and requirements.

1. I need a new(er) vehicle that'll serve me well for a period of 3 years without warranting too many visits the Service Center.
2. A vehicle that is around 4 years old with mileage between 40k - 50K fits the bill perfectly.
3. Slightly bigger car than the swift yet not too big that I have to jostle for parking spaces and think twice about squeezing tight corners.
4. Better Safety. Current car offers None (No ABS, No airbags)
5. Is perched a little higher than the swift to aid my sojourns in to the hilly terrains.
6. Diesel Heart.
7. Strict budget of 5 - 5.5 Lacs.

So with those criteria, I narrowed down my search to the following :

1. Vitara Brezza. No vehicles available within my budget.
2. TUV 300. Mahindra, no thanks !
3. S Cross 1.3. Again No or very limited vehicles available within my budget.

and then the 2 strong contenders.
4. Renault Duster. Plenty of options available albeit with slightly higher mileage (60-70) in 85 PS avatar and some even with 110. I'll be honest, I love the road presence and the boot is extremely practical. We all know the ride is quite plush but the dated interiors oh man. It is hardly an upgrade in that aspect. And then we have the known issues with injectors and fuel pumps and I am in a dilemma. I can live with plane Jane interiors but reliability ? uhm no thanks please.
5. Ford Ecosport. There are definitely options available in the budget range. If I can find a Titanium variant, it is loaded to the brim. Safety features are top notch and build quality is pretty sturdy. The boot although smallish is still an upgrade for the tiny one on the swift. Diesel will hopefully help me save a few bucks on fuel (compared to swift).

What I am a little skeptical is the engine performance. I know I cannot be comparing Swift with an Ecosport but I am used to peppy nature of the Suzuki engine, it is an absolute delight. The TBHP review pegs the engine performance of 1.5 diesel at just about adequate. How will it fare in the hills ? Will it warrant too many gears shifts ? Will I be able to cruise well on the highways ? and the biggest question of all.
Is ford Ecosport a reliable vehicle ? Remember the swift has given me virtually ZERO hassle and I can remember only 2 visits to the service center in last 8 years other than the regular service. So the benchmark is set very high, will the ford be able to match it ? Needless to say I have gone through the Ecosport thread at length.

So with that I seek your help, dear friends to guide me and possibly help alleviate my doubts around the ford.
Also, if there are any other obvious vehicles that fit my requirement and budget that I might have overlooked, I am more than willing to listen in.

Request to MODs - In case this thread needs to go to a more appropriate sub forum, please move.
Old 11th March 2018, 23:02   #230
BHPian

Re: Buying a Pre-Owned Compact SUV. Help Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman_30 View Post
I know she still is a proud warrior but she must pass on the baton to a new(er) warrior.
Given that you need a vehicle with a smaller footprint, the Duster fits your requirement to a T. It's sturdy, with proven mechanicals and a happy propensity to take abuse and get on with with it.

However, if dimensions aren't too much of a concern, have you looked at an Aria AWD? Older models may be available for the budget you quote, and given the extremely robust underpinnings of the vehicle and the fact that it is really a Hexa with a little lesser bells and whistles, I'm sure you'd enjoy your sojourns to the hills in far more comfort than anything else. With an Aria you get:
  • A composed, comfortable, quiet mile muncher.
  • Rugged and proven and reliable diesel mill with respectable torque and BHP figures.
  • Oodles of space - a veritable studio apartment on wheels, with a whole lot of storage space.
  • A modern, solid and robust hydroformed chassis.
  • An accomplished AWD system from one of the industry leaders - Borg Warner.
  • Shared chassis and mechanicals with Hexa / Storme - spares & service will never be an issue
  • Top of the line Harman sourced music system specifically tuned for the cabin.
  • Widespread A$$ throughout the country.
Do give it a thought .

Cheers !

Last edited by ampere : 12th March 2018 at 06:43. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 11th March 2018, 23:02   #231
BHPian

Quote:
She is aging now, I can feel it.
The Ecosport’s engine is a very competent one. The low end especially is brilliant. The torquey nature of diesel plant will help your hill ascents. On the whole the engine will be a revelation coming from a 1st generaton petrol swift. The reliability post warranty is a hit or miss with ford. The spares are expensive and service competence at Asc in my experience was not all that good. The Duster with low mileage might be a good option for you. It might not be as unreliable as you think.

However,
The budget needs to be stretched. You are looking at a compact suv and a diesel,a hot combination in used car space.Further you are looking at reliable brands.All these require a bigger budget. Your destinations ask for smaller cars. If GC is not a problem diesel hatchbacks from Maruti or Hyundai will be a great fit. Your car will be out of extended warranty by the time you purchase it, so cost of spares and FNG availability for the 2 brands is any day better.

For your usage pattern and places you go it is better to get a properly maintained diesel. Check thoroughly. All the best for your touring.

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding

Last edited by ampere : 12th March 2018 at 06:45. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 12th March 2018, 05:15   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
She is aging now, I can feel it. She tries her best not to tell me because she has a golden heart that is still in prime of health even after years of hardships.

What I am a little skeptical is the engine performance. I know I cannot be comparing Swift with an Ecosport but I am used to peppy nature of the Suzuki engine, it is an absolute delight.

Is ford Ecosport a reliable vehicle ? Remember the swift has given me virtually ZERO hassle and I can remember only 2 visits to the service center in last 8 years other than the regular service.
Having owned both Duster and Ecosport, I felt that Ecosport had the best engine in terms of fuel efficiency, refinement and performance. I have driven the Swift too on many occasions, so can assure you that peppiness of 1.5L TDCI will exceed your expectations. Cruising on highways is possible within the legal speed limits, but still Ecosport feels more at home in city driving.

Last edited by deehunk : 12th March 2018 at 05:37.
Old 28th May 2018, 11:46   #233
BHPian

Experts, I am in a dilemma. Advise would be highly appreciated. I am thinking of changing my 7 year old Figo. I dont want to buy the same class. I was looking at the S-Cross, The Duster, Jeep Compass (just looking, beyond my budget) since home ministry does not want sedans. Now, I am almost decided on the Duster. It is within Renault that I have a problem. I TD'd both the RxS CVT (petrol) and the RxZ AMT (Diesel). I like the CVT one as a technology - there is no noticeable lag in between the gears. But I dont like the trim levels or the other stuff - like no reverse camera, not Climate control, no cruise control. All of these are in the AMT but I dont know if I will ever get used to that lurch in between the gears. I drive very less so Petrol or Diesel makes not much difference but I am leaning towards petrol as the premium for diesel and my usage does not seem justified. What should I buy? :(
Old 28th May 2018, 13:14   #234
Team-BHP Support

Had a go in the 1st gen Duster 110PS yesterday and that ride is a revelation. I drove the Duster over bad to very bad roads and on proper 4 lane highway and that ride is amazing. On my recommendation it got Yokohama Geolander AT’s which has further helped in ride and handling.

The illumination too was very good, the brakes too were good. That Duster’s AC condenser was replaced yesterday which provided good cooling.

How I wish Renault had better after sales support and that the Duster had a new fresh face with interiors but they leave out the suspension as it is.
Gosh, can’t wait to drive/be driven in PapaBravo’s AWD. Not without reason a friend of mine is facing difficulties in choosing a replacement for his Terrano. Any SUV under 20L (ex-showroom) got similar ride?

Last edited by Sheel : 28th May 2018 at 13:16.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2018, 13:49   #235
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Had a go in the 1st gen Duster 110PS yesterday and that ride is a revelation. I drove the Duster over bad to very bad roads and on proper 4 lane highway and that ride is amazing. On my recommendation it got Yokohama Geolander AT’s which has further helped in ride and handling.
I have a 85 BHP Duster and recently crossed the 100K mark. Suspensions are brilliant and that make the drive enjoyable every day even today.

Quote:
The illumination too was very good, the brakes too were good. That Duster’s AC condenser was replaced yesterday which provided good cooling.
No doubt on illumination. But I really hope they had a chiller AC. Its very weak. Thats one thing which I miss every day.

Quote:
How I wish Renault had better after sales support and that the Duster had a new fresh face with interiors but they leave out the suspension as it is.
Gosh, can’t wait to drive/be driven in PapaBravo’s AWD. Not without reason a friend of mine is facing difficulties in choosing a replacement for his Terrano. Any SUV under 20L (ex-showroom) got similar ride?
I agree to the views in general. But yes we need to realize that its a dated product with superb mechanicals. And there ends its era. It captialised on the first mover advantage. Renault should note that others have caught up and hence they should up the game. Look at the failure of Captur and get Duster build right up there.

And yes finding a replacement is going to be difficult, thanks to that magic carpet !

Last edited by ampere : 29th May 2018 at 08:22. Reason: Fixed typo
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 07:44   #236
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I agree to the views in general. But yes we need to realize that its a dated product with superb mechanicals. And there ends its era. It captialised on the first mover advantage. Renault should note that others have caught up and hence they should up the game. Look at the failure of Captur and get Duster build right up there.

And yes finding a replacement is going to be difficult.
This is what I am saying, replace everything, especially the interiors but let that suspension stay. And design one from grounds up.

My friend is not enthusiastic about buying a Compass and there appears nothing around 20L. It indeed is going to be a tough job to find Duster/Terrano's replacement.

Last edited by ampere : 29th May 2018 at 08:23. Reason: Fixed typo in the quoted post
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 10:13   #237
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any SUV under 20L (ex-showroom) got similar ride?
Ride quality of Duster is superb and was the best among the vehicles below 20 lacs, before Hexa arrived. Not sure if Hexa can be called a SUV, but the ride quality of Hexa is superior than the Duster by a good margin.
BlackPearl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2018, 13:04   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Ride quality of Duster is superb and was the best among the vehicles below 20 lacs, before Hexa arrived. Not sure if Hexa can be called a SUV, but the ride quality of Hexa is superior than the Duster by a good margin.
Does Hexa 4*4 have shorter gearing compared to 4*2. We know Duster AWD has shorter gearing for better grade-ability. Wondering how Hexa would do in fully loaded conditions on a slope. Duster AWD does quite well in-spite not having low ratio. I have driven a Storme 4*2 on a slope with a Varicor 400 ( same engine as Hexa ) . It gets bogged down with ultra heavy kerb weight and a pronounced turbo lag. Wondering if the Hexa drive modes improve the low end response of the engine for rough road conditions.
Old 29th May 2018, 14:01   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
Does Hexa 4*4 have shorter gearing compared to 4*2. We know Duster AWD has shorter gearing for better grade-ability. Wondering how Hexa would do in fully loaded conditions on a slope. Duster AWD does quite well in-spite not having low ratio. I have driven a Storme 4*2 on a slope with a Varicor 400 ( same engine as Hexa ) . It gets bogged down with ultra heavy kerb weight and a pronounced turbo lag. Wondering if the Hexa drive modes improve the low end response of the engine for rough road conditions.
Post ECU updates, there's almost no lag and it pulls effortlessly. The car was fully loaded with 7 adults and was at a standstill on a steep gradient. Add slush to this equation! Just letting go of the clutch makes the wheels spin and take off even with very little inputs to the A pedal. I wouldn't dare think how the car would have behaved prior to the updates when the lag was prominent! I've experienced both these situations.
Old 30th May 2018, 22:26   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The illumination too was very good,
This is strange, and needs reconciliation. I think the Dusters headlights are pathetic.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by ampere : 31st May 2018 at 07:40. Reason: Fixed quote tag

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks