Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2013, 14:15   #76
BHPian

Re: SUV/MUV Predicament

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post

Went to Concorde Motors today to see the Aria and Storme. I was simply blown away by both. A fine examination of the Aria revealed typical Tata finish around plastic parts and edges but then again, I didn't expect any better.

Thanks to both members for bringing to light such horrors and sheer criminal acts of companies like this. Though I'm respectful towards Mr. Ratan's vision for the country etc. and don't hold him personally responsible for what happened to the cars above, I'm really really doubtful I'd want to spend 16 lacs of my hard earned money on the Aria.

The Storme is a MASSIVE car, to put it bluntly, and is built pretty well. The top model has lovely wood finish interiors and a very simple dashboard. Features like the rear pillar AC's, cooled glovebox etc. on the Aria made me favor the Aria more, but those experiences are really worrying me.
At the outset I want to emphasize that I am not working for Tata motors. But you have quoted 2 examples of the worst experiences about Aria. There are plenty of others who are satisfied with Tata cars. I have Safaris for the last 8 years and I am one happy customer. True - the fit and finish is pathetic. But my ride is probably one of the safest cars in that price range.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 21:12   #77
BHPian

Re: Duster vs other SUVs & MUVs

Prowler,

Are NCAP test results available for the Safari / Storme? I am looking for some validation of your statement that it is one of the safest cars.

I too am in a quandry. The Duster is on my shortlist, but the flimsy body and poor NCAP showing worries me. An owner in the Duster Review thread wrote about hitting a dog destroying the radiator! Talk about flimsy!

Will look seriously at the Ecosport, but it may be a tad too small for my needs.

Scorpio is too long in the tooth and will be replaced soon, XUV is still full of niggles, and I'm generally allergic to all things Tata. The Yeti is a tad too small and quite a bit out of my budget.

What else is left?

May have to go with a sedan, and that opens another huge can of worms.

Old 26th June 2013, 21:39   #78
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
After or now. I'm worried the Duster will be the same as the EcoSport in terms of ride height and drive feel.

Thanks in advance.
Suggest you check out the Duster.
You will be amazed by its ride quality, handling, toughness and general rough-use-ability even though it is a 2WD. With a ground clearance of 200 mm and relatively short overhangs and that monocoque chassis, it is a good sized 5 seater with reasonable luggage space, which will uncomplainingly do what you ask of it. Decent 'presence', looks purposeful and strong and that French suspension is unbeatable in terms of comfort over lousy roads.
Frankly in my book, it is a far better buy than the Scorpio, Safari and XUV.
If you consider the Duster just buy the top spec 110RXZ with all possible options in it.
And then fill up with Diesel and woodle off to the hills...

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th June 2013 at 21:40.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 22:04   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Prowler,

Are NCAP test results available for the Safari / Storme? I am looking for some validation of your statement that it is one of the safest cars.

I too am in a quandry. The Duster is on my shortlist, but the flimsy body and poor NCAP showing worries me. An owner in the Duster Review thread wrote about hitting a dog destroying the radiator! Talk about flimsy!

Will look seriously at the Ecosport, but it may be a tad too small for my needs.

Scorpio is too long in the tooth and will be replaced soon, XUV is still full of niggles, and I'm generally allergic to all things Tata. The Yeti is a tad too small and quite a bit out of my budget.

What else is left?

May have to go with a sedan, and that opens another huge can of worms.

First off, a 5 star ncap crash rating does not mean your car will react like an ambassador would to a crash. Things are bound to break and crumple. Crash ratings are indicative of how much of said impact, penetrates the cabin.

That being said the Aria and Safari Storme are bound to have good ratings of atleast 4 stars since there was a lot of money that went into their development especially the Aria since it is new from the ground up and most modern offerings such as this, score well. Add to that the sheer passive safety features like pretensioners, EBD, ESP and the plethora of airbags, along as your seatbelt is on, you should be safe

I do not know much about SUVs apart from the basics so I don't keep up to date with them either but I heard that a lot of the niggles wth the XUV 500 were recently sorted out in an update? Also every existing XUV 500 customer can have his/her car checked and issues rectified so I believe Mahindra is going about things in a correct manner definitely better than Tata. Oh and the XUV 500 did manage a 4 star crash rating which is very good.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 22:52   #80
BHPian

Quote:
I think the biggest reason for the Duster's poor NCAP rating is its lack of safety systems for protecting pedestrians. Also, the lack of active safety controls like ESP in comparison to other European cars where it is standard, has further reduced its rating
crazydave is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 09:15   #81
BHPian

Thanks Ishaanian & CrazyDave.

I understand what you guys said. My biggest concern with NCAP ratings is protecting the occupant of the vehicle. Though I say so myself, I'm a fairly food driver (I've had my bad experiences in my younger days and trained myself to be a better driver and have learned from it). The bigger concern is things beyond my control; a cow, goat or dog suddenly running across a highway, a motorcycle suddenly coming on to the highway from a rural road, etc. One can only anticipate and prepare so much. I'd only buy a vehicle with safety features: airbags and ABS at the minimum. While I'd love to have ESP, I can live without it.

I find it strange that not one single person has commented on snkjr's experience in this post. He hit a dog that lived, but his radiator was damaged and had to be replaced. Comments were made about Ranault's spares policy, but none about the flimsy nature of the Duster's front end. While I don't care about the crumple zone being destroyed, I'm not sure if the overall design and build provide adequate safety to the vehicle's occupants.
Old 27th June 2013, 09:21   #82
BHPian

Quote:
I find it strange that not one single person has commented on snkjr's experience in this post. He hit a dog that lived, but his radiator was damaged and had to be replaced. Comments were made about Ranault's spares policy, but none about the flimsy nature of the Duster's front end. While I don't care about the crumple zone being destroyed, I'm not sure if the overall design and build provide adequate safety to the vehicle's occupants.
This is definitely not desirable, but it is actually not that uncommon. The radiator would mostly be affected in a frontal impact, especially when the car has plastic bumpers.
Certain countries like UK encourage manufacturers to make cars that can take damage in such impacts but do not damage pedestrians if they are hit.
Old 30th June 2013, 13:43   #83
BHPian

After spending a lot more time researching the Storme and Aria, sales numbers, after sales service experiences etc., I'm really really getting dissuaded from buying a Tata car. I have experienced HIM motors for my Palio Stile before and I completely relate to the shoddy servicing and washing. The calls that come from 'head offices' and higher ups are mere formalities and don't really result in anything. At best they say "please come again and we'll do it properly".

I seriously doubt I'd drive 30 kms (and 30 back) again to get the same job done. A plush salesman or sales experience can secure a deal but few think a few steps ahead to see what kind of hell awaits at the service center.

On the flip side, we've owned three Hyundais, the Santro, i10 1.2 Kappa (which we still have), and the Accent CRDi when it first launched. The services have almost always been hassle free except for the odd case, which was accompanied with minor complaints.

I know this is sort of off topic but in my defense to staying on topic, the search for a good sub 15 Lakh SUV in India is slowly converting into a sedan plan. Probably a toyota or a chevvy cruze. A test drive of the duster is also in the works. I'm still a big fan of the ecosport sans the size issues. But that's more to match my ego rather than my functionality requirements. The Scorpio salesman keeps calling diligently, but I don't have it in my heart to tell him that I don't want to buy an antique.

Problems problems.
Old 30th June 2013, 19:09   #84
BHPian

ByDesign, I am in the same boat. Started with wanting an SUV, now considering sedans with good ground clearance. The "problems problems" arise due to a lack of choice in the segment you and I are interested in. Just maybe I'll start a couple of threads to discuss my needs.

I've ruled out the Ecosport for two reasons: probably too small for my needs (to be honest, I haven't seen it yet), and more importantly, the long wait time.
Old 30th June 2013, 19:16   #85
BHPian

Moderator note: While the Team-BHP Support takes decisions only with a community-centric attitude, public threads / discussions on Administrative decisions & Moderator actions are not permitted.

Quote:
ByDesign, I am in the same boat. Started with wanting an SUV, now considering sedans with good ground clearance. The "problems problems" arise due to a lack of choice in the segment you and I are interested in.
Sort of true. Volkswagen and Chevvy are coming out with two SUV's soon. The Taigun and the Trailblazer. They both look pretty good. Maybe the wait will be worth it?

Quote:
I've ruled out the Ecosport for two reasons: probably too small for my needs (to be honest, I haven't seen it yet), and more importantly, the long wait time.
Both those needs are quite understandable. I disregarded the Duster also due to the lack of size. But please do TD the Ecosport, it might help you turn your mind around due to the nice build quality and fun to drive engines.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th June 2013 at 19:55. Reason: Warning against mocking Moderator action.
Old 3rd July 2013, 11:44   #86
BHPian

Thought this may be the best thread to post my query. Mods: Please move this incase this is not the right thread.

Last week, I just let go a decision to buy a used XUV500 W8 in the favor of probably buying a Duster 85PS RXL (O) or a "to be" launched Nissan Terrano. Now, I have come across a opportunity to buy a used "Mitsubishi Outlander", 2009. This is petrol version with Automatic. I might be able to close the deal for about 11lacs. The vehicle is in mint condition and I was wondering if it makes sense.

I know it's a petrol v/s Diesel argument. but, I am ok with petrol SUV. What would you do? Any suggestions or pointers are welcome...

Cheers
Old 3rd July 2013, 12:39   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
I know it's a petrol v/s Diesel argument. but, I am ok with petrol SUV. What would you do? Any suggestions or pointers are welcome...
If you are
More than that check out the running cost. FE should be much lower than normal 1/1.5L engines. But otherwise its a fantastic package.
Old 5th July 2013, 12:48   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ckstar.1 View Post
I have come across a opportunity to buy a used "Mitsubishi Outlander", 2009.

I know it's a petrol v/s Diesel argument. but, I am ok with petrol SUV. What would you do?

Cheers
As the fuel is not an issue, Outlander all the way. Others don't come close.
Old 19th July 2013, 09:29   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post

As the fuel is not an issue, Outlander all the way. Others don't come close.
Agree about the Outlander as good value for money (capital cost); running costs are high - in Mumbai I average 6-7kmpl. One worry about the Outlander is future service / spares availability particularly now that they have discontinued selling the Outlanders recently. Last year my Outlander (2012) was stuck for almost 3 months waiting for some spare parts after a minor accident.
Old 19th July 2013, 10:19   #90
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

[quote=Volkswagen and Chevvy are coming out with two SUV's soon. The Taigun and the Trailblazer. They both look pretty good. Maybe the wait will be worth it?
But please do TD the Ecosport, it might help you turn your mind around due to the nice build quality and fun to drive engines.[/QUOTE]

The Taigun is likely to be nudging the Yeti in terms of pricing and while their desire might be to position it in competition to the EcoSport, I am not sure they will be able to manage it.
The Tiguan is clearly positioned one step above the Yeti.
The Trailblazer looks really nice indeed. Hope it is priced well.
I wish that Nissan would come through with its Juke which is pretty much in the same space as the EcoSport. Very good looking little vehicle indeed!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks