Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2014, 23:59   #181
BHPian

Re: Honda Mobilio or Renault Duster....Time to Resist or Splurge??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
can you comment on the high speed (80-120) stability of both the vehicles? Which is better?
The duster is S-U-P-E-R-B at the speeds you mentioned, it smothers any surface, you can fly over bad roads, speed breakers, road shoulders everything, in fact apart from those bulging wheel arches which you need to consider in tight turns you can switch off the mode in your brain which will normally, if you are in a car, be directing your response on evaluating the road conditions ahead, whether you need to brake or not if you run into a bad patch. In the duster you carry on without a sweat, your brain can rest.
I haven't driven the Honda MUV but knowing Honda I don't think the car will be as accomplished at speed as Renault. I think even Ertiga should be better than Mobilio here though Duster is miles ahead in ride comfort than almost everyone else out there.
Only issue with Duster is space and interior plastics, they cry for improvement.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 28th August 2014 at 00:01.
s_pphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 09:29   #182
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Duster vs other SUVs & MUVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
...So if you are talking about "belting", Scorpio and Safari are not the vehicles to belt, unless you do not mind frequent suspension jobs...
Would you think the Storme will fare better (as you have the Dicor) or it will still be one step behind Duster when it comes to maintenance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
...The TD vehicle I drove had 25K kms on it and was being driven like this daily. It had one rattle from the rear hatch....
This would have been my next question when you both said it can be abused. Doesn't make sense to abuse a vehicle if it develops rattle while using so.
Old 28th August 2014, 09:44   #183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
This would have been my next question when you both said it can be abused. Doesn't make sense to abuse a vehicle if it develops rattle while using so.
@SNF

I wont say I have been abusing my vehicle. But sure enough I have driven over all kinds of terrains. I just keep a watchful eye and not treat it like a baby. With that kind of ownership, I am perfectly happy with mine. (Now with 40k on the odo). Check with Neil's ownership. He has gone past 60K and he is happy. So is Himadri who also constantly takes his 2WD to birding trips around Sikkim and nearby places.

So if you leave the continuous harsh terrains like Leh/Himachal or similar places, I am confident that Duster can handle the bad terrains (read: all kinds of highway roads, village roads, non-existent roads etc) with ease, and to quite some degree of abuse as well.

I can't comment on the AWD like situations because I have never tackled them. But surely can say, it should handle the situations with ease because, one main advantage it has in its favor, is the weight.

Last edited by ampere : 28th August 2014 at 10:03.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 10:34   #184
BHPian

Following are the observations from a Storm TD after I got the delivery of my Duster (before remapping), I did a test drive of Storm at their BrookeFields showroom in Bangalore.
Note: Did the test drive with a Neutral mind.

>In simple words, I didnt like it except the big road presence / paint quality / braking / road view / space / seats / power*, Period.

- Didnt like the external design (may be its only me), but its the fact
- Long throw gear, took a little time to adapt to that and very notchy and rough
- Suspension is very stiff that all the unevenness on the road is pretty much felt inside the cabin esp at speed breakers (company recommended tyre pressure is 34psi)
- Engine noise and the roughness is pretty much higher and its really felt inside the cabin
- Power steering is harder, may be because its hydraulic as per the SA, didnt check the specs, wont be able to make a turn easily with one hand
- Inspite of it being a very new vehicle a hell lot of squeaky noises from everywhere inside the cabin esp on uneven roads and speed breakers, I even asked the SA why is it so, he just smiled. Need to have a very good rapo with the service center to have a "noise free" ownership
- Its fun to drive from 2300/2500, the raw power, but its not refined like Aria. I felt it was like riding a truck, may be 407. May be we can say good quantity, but with less quality, like the difference b/n normal vs high end audio amps I felt the accelerator is like a dead pedal in 3rd gear below 2500rpm, needs a lot of gear shifts in a traffic, but may be because of my inexperience in driving it.
- Could feel the 2T weight while driving Aria, but strome didnt give me that heaviness feeling
- Braking is better, bites more
- Seats supports the backside of your body very well eventhough its slightly stiffer, may because of the leather.

To be honest I thanked God that I didnt wait for Storme and I am happy that I chose Duster, when I spoke to my wife on this she smiled with a sigh, because I had a half mind for booking it but didnt do since Duster was looking better to her also. I could feel the difference when I drove the Duster immediately after the TD. I could really feel the difference in the refinement / NVH levels / comfortness / Butter Smooth Gear shift (relatively) and the handling. It took me a few seconds to adapt to the driving easiness of the Duster.

Also one thing I noticed was that even though company says Aria and Storme are similar, but I didnt feel the refinement of Aria in Storme. Also in driving, both were entirely different.

After the Duster remap, Storm in stock is very sluggish and boring to drive. The only plus point I see in Storm is the extra space.
Old 28th August 2014, 20:00   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Would you think the Storme will fare better (as you have the Dicor) or it will still be one step behind Duster when it comes to maintenance?
I don't think the Tata (any generation) would even come close, of course 'tsk1979' can answer this precisely as I own neither Duster or Storme, but going by the few smiling Logan owners around me, I decipher Duster's mechanicals have Toyota reliability, Logan went around without any fuss and Duster should similarly keep going on with just periodic maintenance. Comparatively Safari keeps its owner on his toes but I have a friend who enjoyed that love-hate relationship when he had the Safari, so it can be pretty involving.
Old 5th September 2014, 12:21   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
...going by the few smiling Logan owners around me, I decipher Duster's mechanicals have Toyota reliability, Logan went around without any fuss and Duster should similarly keep going on with just periodic maintenance...
I should have been specific - am kinda sure that most Storme parts (engines / transmissions and the likes) will last at least 1L kms with regular maintenance. The question was more specific to the wear & tear items in the suspension or parts which are subjected to the abuse.
Old 5th September 2014, 16:39   #187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I should have been specific - am kinda sure that most Storme parts (engines / transmissions and the likes) will last at least 1L kms with regular maintenance. The question was more specific to the wear & tear items in the suspension or parts which are subjected to the abuse.
@SNF,

Every one who buys a Safari/Storme wont be like TSK who drives to Laddakh at the drop of a hat. For the rest of us, on our Indian roads, I think Storme should survive easily. I making this as a general statement and not anything specific. Basically just wanted to mention that with regular day to abuse and Indian roads, the vehicle should be able to take it.

Last edited by ampere : 5th September 2014 at 16:41.
Old 5th September 2014, 18:18   #188
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Tata shouldn't sell the car if drive train can't last that much

Surely, the engine and transmission can last 2-2.5 lakh km without an overhaul.

But suspensions, can they last long?
That's a difficult question to answer.
Depends on the driver, conditions of roads, how much the vehicle is filled etc.

But ideally, they may require a few parts to changed/overhauled at 70k km intervals.
Old 5th September 2014, 20:16   #189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
....with regular day to abuse and Indian roads, the vehicle should be able to take it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
But suspensions, can they last long?
That's a difficult question to answer.
Depends on the driver, conditions of roads, how much the vehicle is filled etc...
Offlate I am NOT really writing what I mean to. I am pretty sure Storme can hold up well.

Now, my question was (Storme) with respect to Duster, under the same usage conditions. I was really looking at a comparo and see which one holds better under the same driving conditions with a bit of abuse. By abuse, I mean driving thru bad roads in reasonable speeds and still be in comfort; clocking a better average running time since SUVs are NOT designed for high speeds.

Points am looking at:
  • wear & tear parts replacement.
  • suspension components life / replacement.
  • rattles in the car
I read that the Duster being a monocoque might have a longer life (for wear & tear parts); but then Storme being a ladder-frame should have heavy duty parts to compensate the weight and last longer?

I absolutely have NO doubts on the longevity of drivetrain/engine parts; in fact I may have a better confidence level with the TATA A$$ than Renault's. I might be asking the same questions multiple times - Sorry for that; none of the answers have really touched the portions I am looking for. Not blaming anyone; but I may NOT have really expressed my questions in the right way.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th September 2014 at 20:19.
Old 5th September 2014, 21:26   #190
D4D
BHPian

Quote:

Now, my question was (Storme) with respect to Duster, under the same usage conditions. I was really looking at a comparo and see which one holds better under the same driving conditions with a bit of abuse. By abuse, I mean driving thru bad roads in reasonable speeds and still be in comfort; clocking a better average running time since SUVs are NOT designed for high speeds.

Points am looking at:
  • rattles in the car
I read that the Duster being a monocoque might have a longer life (for wear & tear parts); but then Storme being a ladder-frame should have heavy duty parts to compensate the weight and last longer?
Made in India, made for India, Storme may survive better.
But I think, the Duster is also incredible robust, considering the countries it is made for- all developing African countries and eastern European countries.

As for the body, Storme may be better as it's a durable body on frame design. Monocoques are not as tough.

But suspension and Interior quality wise, I would put my money on the duster. Suspension: Simply because storme is too heavy. Interior-
Don't have any solid reasons.

It's a close fight.
D4D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2014, 21:36   #191
BHPian

After being confused and thinking over which SUV to put the money on, i finally decided upon the storme.
The Duster is no doubt a very competent SUV, but for me the extra interior space in the storme mattered.
Booked a Storme EX Urban Bronze. Expecting delivery next week.
Old 5th September 2014, 22:31   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Offlate I am NOT really writing what I mean to. .
Aaah the distance between the cup and the lip.
Happens to me often, I guessed you wanted the respective owners to respond that's why I kept mum.

Quote:
Now, my question was (Storme) with respect to Duster, under the same usage conditions. I was really looking at a comparo ....

Points am looking at:
  • rattles in the car

... in fact I may have a better confidence level with the TATA A$$ than Renault's.
Now we'll need some owners who do some serious mile munching to contribute to this, to start with, maybe 'tsk1979'. I think he will be the best guide for Safari specifics.
I have this over encompassing feeling that Duster will be cheaper even in the long run, of course I don't have any stats to support this blanket statement, so pardon me.
Its just advantages of a lighter but rigid shell coupled with bullet proof reliability, should result in lower costs, things like suspension bushes, tie rods, may last longer as they have lesser burden, also the car has proven to be reliable, irrespective of surfaces it travels, across the globe.

I think Duster should do well for 3+L kms, logic, if Logan can do it in India with minimal maintenance, Duster should better it.
I have seen couple of examples where Logans done 1.5 lakh+ kms and the ride was still silent and comfortable, and the owners haven't had reasons to complain.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 5th September 2014 at 22:41.
Old 19th September 2014, 12:37   #193
Senior - BHPian

The heavier vehicle is generally more prone to body wear due to constant stresses on all the load bearing components. This can be mitigated by ensuring higher quality component usage which ofcos comes at a higher cost however it being a TATA and the highly cost sensitive Indian market, it is unlikely to happen. I would put my money on a duster eyes closed. Its almost 700kgs lighter than the storme and it being a monocoque it will flex lesser in all directions resulting in lesser warping. Squeaks, groans, shuddering, unexpected vibrations are all a sign of warp wear hence we hear it all the time in heavier vehicles but rarely in a lighter ones.

My opinion is non-subjective hence there could be cases that may prove/work against my theory.

Last edited by The Wolf : 19th September 2014 at 12:39.
Old 19th September 2014, 13:13   #194
BHPian

Well, everything doesn’t seem to be hunky-dory with duster.

A recent report has cited dacia (renault) admitting to having problems in the painting process at is chennai plant that could lead to corrosion on duster’s door sills and bonnet. Here is the report:
http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/renaul...t-wont-recall/

Googled to see if this is true. Yes, there are quite a few cases in the uk. (Duster used to be exported to the uk from the chennai plant. Not anymore though!)

Also found a similar case on carwale.

Any thoughts?
Old 19th September 2014, 13:28   #195
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for going offtopic - any news of the 4*4 launch? I am interested
But my drive doesnt warrant a diesel - max 1000 kms per month + the odd long drive.
Would they offer 4*4 on the petrol?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks