Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2022, 17:29   #211
BHPian

Re: Want to buy a 45 - 50 lakh SUV | How to get rid of the middle class guilt?

Congratulations @poloman,

The picture of your daughter with the polo made me nostalgic of my car Zest with my daughter, she was 3 at the time, this was seven years back.
I will have to dig to see if I have a picture of them together.

You have two fantastic steeds, wish you numerous happy travelogues in your Crysta.

- Slick
Slick is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 22:22   #212
PKG

Poloman, Hearty Congratulations on this superb decision and acquisition. I too plan the same in a few months hoping a few plans fall in place.
A question, did you explore using the NCB of your VW Polo for your new buy? assuming you had 50% NCB, transferring this to Innova would have saved you easily 50K and the insurance add on to the VW would be meagre considering its 10 years already. Just curious to know if this was explored/thought and any thoughts against..?
PKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 22:53   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
  • You may need some convincing to do with your wife and kids in regards to the 'taxi image' of the Innova. This is a reality which can't be ignored.
  • Drive wise expect for lower mileage and lower DTE due to huge weight and small tank size for mammoth MPV. Polo used to give me mileage of 18 on highways with DTE of 750KM.
  • Innova captain seats may not be of liking for every one. Some one who is looking for top variant with bench seat only will be disappointed.
  • Make sure that your parking can accommodate Innova. This is over 800mm longer 150mm wider and 300mm taller which is huge. With Polo I am confident of entering any alley which is even 6 ft wide. Don't think with Innova that is possible.
    Both are reliable vehicles. So no fear of breakdown in remote areas.
Yes the compulsion of the top end automatic paired only with captain seats was a big put off for me as in my opinion the bench seat in the middle row is more practical for family use.This was the reason why I had to opt for 8- seater Gx automatic.The account of your ownership experience and interesting observations have served to augment my sense of satisfaction in choosing this car over others vying for attention…
Narendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 08:35   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKG View Post
Poloman, Hearty Congratulations on this superb decision and acquisition. I too plan the same in a few months hoping a few plans fall in place.
A question, did you explore using the NCB of your VW Polo for your new buy? assuming you had 50% NCB, transferring this to Innova would have saved you easily 50K and the insurance add on to the VW would be meagre considering its 10 years already. Just curious to know if this was explored/thought and any thoughts against..?
I had 50% NCB on Polo. But since I did not sell the car I could not transfer the NCB. I think this is the only way to do that.

Quote:
If you have earned NCB on an existing car and want to buy a new car but retain the old/existing car: In such a situation, you can transfer/sell your old car to a family member who would then be the new owner of the old car. You can then retain the NCB and use it to get a discount on the insurance premium of the new car that you buy. You cannot use the NCB earned on the old car to get a discount on the premium paid for a new car policy as long as you own the old car.
Read more at:
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...campaign=cppst
Old 5th April 2022, 19:39   #215
PKG

Quote:
I had 50% NCB on Polo. But since I did not sell the car I could not transfer the NCB. I think this is the only way to do that.

Read more at:
I think each insurance company has its own rules. 10 years back, I had an Accent which had 50% NCB. I transferred this to a new car I bought. I had to pay the differential to the Accent Premium, which was like 2K. The car was still with me and the new car got 50% NCB - XUV then. I saved 25K. I sold the Accent a month afterwards. This was ICICI then.

Last edited by Aditya : 6th April 2022 at 05:43. Reason: Spellings, punctuation
PKG is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 5th April 2022, 21:18   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Read more at:
I got the 50% NCB of my existing car (Maruti Swift) that I have not sold transferred to my new car. When I approached Maruti Insurance, the manager told me that it cannot be done since I am not selling my car. I asked him to speak to the Insurance company (New India Assurance) and I got the NCB certificate by paying the difference for the Swift. It was a new learning for the manager at Maruti Insurance. The other way to get the NCB certificate (valid for 3 years) is to convert the insurance to Third Party only while renewing and asking the company to issue you the NCB certificate. I had got it done for my 2 wheelers although I never ended up using those certificates since I did not buy a new 2 wheeler.
pjbiju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 10:02   #217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I got the 50% NCB of my existing car (Maruti Swift) that I have not sold transferred to my new car. When I approached Maruti Insurance, the manager told me that it cannot be done since I am not selling my car. I asked him to speak to the Insurance company (New India Assurance) and I got the NCB certificate by paying the difference for the Swift. It was a new learning for the manager at Maruti Insurance. The other way to get the NCB certificate (valid for 3 years) is to convert the insurance to Third Party only while renewing and asking the company to issue you the NCB certificate. I had got it done for my 2 wheelers although I never ended up using those certificates since I did not buy a new 2 wheeler.
This is new learning for me. Polo Insurance is due in June. So I can try transferring the NCB to Innova. Is NCB applied on Add ons as well? If only to basic premium, It is not worth the pain I think. 90K total premium, basic premium is only 20K. ADD ons take up 30K.
Old 7th April 2022, 11:56   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is new learning for me. Polo Insurance is due in June. So I can try transferring the NCB to Innova. Is NCB applied on Add ons as well? If only to basic premium, It is not worth the pain I think. 90K total premium, basic premium is only 20K. ADD ons take up 30K.
As far as I know, the NCB is only applicable to Basic Own Damage Premium. At least that is how it is shown in my insurance policy. The Add-ons are added later on.
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 15:53   #219
Senior - BHPian

Spent around 10K for accessories which I found are of good value. Did not get any accessories from the dealer. Most of them were overpriced and not find adding much value.

Due to huge floor area a good set of floor mats is a must. Got this from Amazon and I am very happy with the quality and fit. Edges also covered with very less carpeting exposed. I think this belongs to the 5D category.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Name:  Floormat.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  48.2 KB

A goo key fob cover is a good to have. The Crysta key fob is very delicate and prone to scratches. Though a bit costly, got this key cover. Found it of reasonable fit and finish.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Name:  key cover.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  33.1 KB

Head unit cover is also good to have. I am more worried about service people creating scratches than on every day use. Get the transparent one since there is a matt one also which can make the display hazy. Expect poor quality but a functional mod.
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B08...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Name:  headunit.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  45.7 KB
All images credit to amazon.

Last edited by poloman : 7th April 2022 at 15:54.
Old 8th April 2022, 05:33   #220
Senior - BHPian

Poloman - Great points off view.

On the mileage, trust me, you’ll be able to extract more. I easily stretch it to 13/14 on my higway runs.

As for the gear slotting, I think it’s a matter of a few thousand KM and you’ll be finding it easy to do without having to see it.

Good idea to protect the Head Unit. Mine is full of scratches, gained from every service over the past 4 years.

The big factor where my wife had agree to this (she used to say it’s like buying a van) was the captain seats. That changed the entire perception.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2022, 21:47   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSpike View Post
Buy the fortuner, and also buy a piece of land on which you can grow a forest. You can make yourself carbon neutral this way and not have to worry about polluting the environment. This is how most corporations operate and make themselves guilty free of polluting the environment .
So even you can do the same. It's a win win situation for you and for the environment. You can use the fortuners 4x4 ability to get to the forest. In doing so, you will make your weekend trips into a family events and also inculcate environmental consciousness into your kids. They will learn about climate issues and how to tackle it instead of just posting about things online. Watching the self planted forest grow in front of your own eyes will teach everyone an invaluable lesson and teach a lot of soft skills like nurturing, patience, hope plus it will give the family lots of bonding time while allowing you to pursue your driving pleasure, guilt free. This is merely a suggestion that you may follow if it suits you. Cheers.
This is by far the most sensible response I've seen.

I'm not sure you can really call it "win-win" for the environment, because those who can manage it probably need to be going even further than "carbon neutral" at this point.

To merely "follow your emotions" - whether the lust for a particular car OR some (not-unreasoned )sense of "guilt" would be a mistake.

We were given brains and a conscience for a reason. To live as responsible citizens (incl. "global") requires THOUGHT and some kind of moral grounding. Balance, perspective, wisdom is required. Consideration of others ("love thy neighbor as thyself") and of future generations, is also required.

It's largely "following the heart", aspiring for and what we want when we want, which has got us into this general global mess.

Now for full disclosure: I've been long driving a 2001 2.5 liter BS2 vehicle. I keep it well-tuned and maintained and it smokes less than some much newer around. And we do under 5k km''s / year. That said, visible smoke isn't everything, and I can afford the few lakhs required for a much less polluting/consuming BS4 vehicle that is still very roomy and not unattractive as cars go. Which is why I've posted my own "Which Car" inquiries here recently.

Re: the forest idea, we have bought a grassy plot in the Northeast on which we hope to develop an organic plantation and start up some "eco-tourism" type activities. Guests could stay in well-appojnted bamboo-construction rooms, eat food grown there, drink natural spring water, work the gardens, detox, ride cycles around, hike to pristine hilltops, gain some appreciation for sensitive environments and indigenous cultures, whatever.

In notable contrast, rich elite decision-makers in high places out there dream of (and are pushing for) an 18-hole golf course and a five-star hotel. The former project on some of the best existing agricultural land in Mizoram (rare in such a hilly place), and both in a state seriously stressed re: water resources. Just dumb/ irresponsible/ highly unnecessary, IMHO.

The U.S. has served as a pretty convenient whipping-boy in recent times, and the criticisms are largely justified. Nobody needs to be driving a 7.5L, twin-turbo, diesel 4x4 "dually" pickup (or a V-10 petrol one) to the convenience shop (on a big loan, moreover), or to be living as a (deliberstely) childless couple in a five-bedroom house on a treeless four-acre plot - but many senseless people are doing such things.

People can't be blamed for having aspirations, but they can be blamed - and should probably be held accountable - for holding to inappropriate / selfish / stupid ones.

The Golf is considered a great car, btw. And yes, a lot of good can be done in the world with 50L. To "sear" a conscience is as bad or worse than holding false guilt, and it can be a fine line.

I drove a Fortuner for the first time the other day. Had long felt they seemed too opulent and excessive, later learned that the early ones, at least, were actually quite simple, straightforward cars, and yes, they are incredibly reliable and have good resale.

So I drove it and I liked driving it - but got out of it thinking, "I can really see why people like them - but it really IS too much car".

Obviously I hold a minority viewpoint here.

-Eric
ringoism is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2022, 01:12   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
I have taken delivery of my Innova Crysta.

Best angle according to me.
Congratulations Poloman The car looks fabulous. Great choice of color too. The ZX Crysta looks a lot premium on the roads for sure compared to the lower variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandu View Post
I had a 2013 Fortuner which is sold a few years back and I had a hard time selling it as dealers constantly approached me with low ball offers.
Thank you for bringing up this point. The below note is just a general observation.

There is a reason why people sell off their vehicles around the 9 to 12 year period and that is ageing, increased maintenance and lower reliability (all due to natural wear and tear). People will sell even if it is a Toyota, after all its just a machine.

The important factor to get better value during resale is the condition and maintenance of the vehicle. Never faced any issues while selling any of our previous cars (Hyundai, Fiat, Suzuki). Always got a good price for the vehicle. A well maintained vehicle will attract buyers for sure irrespective of the brand.
Typically, expect to get about 1/4th the purchase value of the vehicle after about 12 years provided its in great condition irrespective of the brand.

If the intention is to use a vehicle for about 10 to 12 years, one must not worry about resale value at the time of purchase at all irrespective of the brand. Just go ahead and buy any vehicle/brand of your choice if you believe its suits your needs well.

PS: For Eg: Poloman's 12 year old Polo can command a great resale value (even though its a VW and not a Jap-Toyota) just because of its great condition

Last edited by for_cars1 : 6th June 2022 at 01:19.
Old 6th June 2022, 10:17   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
If your new car price is less than 5% of your total savings ( Presuming no pending loans/ liabilities ) and you are not retiring in the next 10 years simply go ahead. Fortuner may spend 10 years or more with you. At the end of those 10 years, the current Fortuner price might look like peanuts to you.
Wait.. Is this an actual guideline people actually follow?
Car should cost just 5% of my savings?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks