Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2022, 12:54   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Want to buy a 45 - 50 lakh SUV | How to get rid of the middle class guilt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post
Quick question: I have been waiting to get a MUV/SUV to replace my 2006 Tata Safari that I sold in 2020. But, I wonder if going in for the Innova now gives me any premium for the time I chose to put such a purchase off hoping to pick up later models with better features.

Is there any real difference between the 2022 Innova and one that retailed say 3 or 4 years ago, apart from cosmetic changes?

New releases these days tend to be loaded with several more safety and novelty features that is hard to ignore (XUV 700 and Carens being the obvious examples).

Thanks.
I really don't know whether Innova Crysta will be an upgrade to your 2006 Safari. But there are n't many cars in the 25-40L segment which are VFM or worth the money you are paying. Innova is the best available compromise, I would say.

You should not put off your purchase waiting for more features. It may never come or the entire platform may change. There are rumours that Innova may become FWD. So if you love it, get it.

I care mostly about the mechanics and safety. Features like sunroof hardly matters to me. So as other bling features. I keep cars for their life, like 15 years. So reliability is very important. The major problem I have with Innova is that I am skeptical about future of diesel cars in the country. Other than that, I find it most acceptable car in the 25-40 L category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Great choice man.

An incredibly practical car/van/truck or whatever one would want to call it. Toyota continues to jack up the prices with every iteration and people happily pay for it too, knowing the Innova doesn't really have a competition in terms of the frugality and reliability. And resale too whenever you'd think of it. Wishing you loads of happy miles with it.

Some folks like Sankar and brraj have given performance upgrades to the van!
Once you have Polo for a significant amount of time, it is difficult to move on. You know this..I am still in love with my Polo. That car is still touchwood. Innova will be mainly used as a highway cruiser. Also need a little more modern and safe car.

Last edited by poloman : 21st February 2022 at 12:57.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 13:35   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
I care mostly about the mechanics and safety. Features like sunroof hardly matters to me. So as other bling features. I keep cars for their life, like 15 years. So reliability is very important. The major problem I have with Innova is that I am skeptical about future of diesel cars in the country. Other than that, I find it most acceptable car in the 25-40 L category.
I also like the practicality and ride quality of Innova but its MPV looks is what stops me from going for it...

Diesel cars are banned in NCT after 10 years and other states will eventually follow this given rising pollution. So I am now thinking of changing my XUV700 booking to Petrol as I tend to keep my cars for long too. Also I am told that if the monthly running is less than 2k kms then its better to get Petrol. This will also take care of DPF related issues related to low running of BS6 diesel cars.
JKBKS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 13:46   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
I also like the practicality and ride quality of Innova but its MPV looks is what stops me from going for it...

Diesel cars are banned in NCT after 10 years and other states will eventually follow this given rising pollution. So I am now thinking of changing my XUV700 booking to Petrol as I tend to keep my cars for long too. Also I am told that if the monthly running is less than 2k kms then its better to get Petrol. This will also take care of DPF related issues related to low running of BS6 diesel cars.

Somehow I am not able to make up my mind for a petrol car with 7-8 mileage having driven a car with 18KMPL on highways.

I think the Innova looks neutral. It can be beefed up if required. Innova is one of the most modded vehicle I suppose. This may not be of everyone taste. But I find them cool.
https://www.cartoq.com/toyota-innova...f-road-render/
Attached Images

Last edited by poloman : 21st February 2022 at 14:04.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 13:54   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Somehow I am not able to make up my mind for a petrol car with 7-8 mileage having driven a car with 18KMPL on highways.

I think the Innova looks neutral. It can be beefed up if required. Innova is one of the most modded vehicle I suppose. This may be of everyone taste. But I find them cool.
https://www.cartoq.com/toyota-innova...f-road-render/
Its dependent on the use case too i think. In my case I will be hardly driving it for a 100 km in a month save for a couple of long trips in a year...so it will be mostly sitting around. And mileage wont matter much then...
Old 21st February 2022, 14:46   #155
BHPian

Quote:
You should not put off your purchase waiting for more features. It may never come or the entire platform may change. There are rumours that Innova may become FWD. So if you love it, get it.
I have test driven it twice but still cannot make up my mind. With my Safari, I couldn't care less about the roads that we might encounter on our trips (we drove it for 2L KMs without issues). The Innova does not have the same I-could-go-anywhere feel, though I am not an off-roader by means.

Since I too am from Bangalore (and I guess in the same age bracket as you), you could probably relate this: the road leading up to the citadel at Penukonda is muddy and heavily cratered. But, the Safari made short work of it. I just don't think the Innova could do the same. I visit remote historical sites, and often encounter such bad roads.

I too am looking for a reliable car. The allure of exciting power trains and vanity features might fade in a couple of years, but what remains is the need for a comfortable, safe, frugal and reliable car. In those aspects, it looks like the Innova is the top choice.
dearchichi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 15:15   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post
I have test driven it twice but still cannot make up my mind. With my Safari, I couldn't care less about the roads that we might encounter on our trips (we drove it for 2L KMs without issues). The Innova does not have the same I-could-go-anywhere feel, though I am not an off-roader by means.
You may have to get something like Thar or Fortuner in that case. But I don't think your family will appreciate sitting in them for extended periods. This is my personal perception though. Most other wannabe SUVs are SUVs for name sake. Innova will fare much better than most of them due to the RWD and BoF set up.
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2022, 20:55   #157
BHPian

Quote:

Now come, my dilemma. I will call this the 'great Indian middle class guilt or remorse' when one spent huge amounts on depreciating assets.

I am sure many of us who have come from modest back grounds but risen well only due to our parents focus on education will feel this. 45-50L is a huge amount. So, am I doing the right thing by spending such a huge amount on a car which may be higher than what you spend on your child education. You can do so many great things with that kind of money. Also the
huge carbon foot print of a massive diesel SUV worries me. Sadly no other current car excites me or I don't consider those upgrades worthy.

Brother,

I totally hear you. Was in the exact same boat few months ago when I tried to upgrade from 2006 Wagon R to a larger car. Mind was pretty oriented towards Fortuner while the brain stuck towards financial savvy purchase. After months of deliberations, booked top trim XUV700 (awaiting delivery in June-22).

Rationale being the remaining funds (more than 20L) can go towards other important things (health, hobby, travel, experiences, or heck buy a new two wheeler and tractor). I would have some cash left after doing all this.

Fortuner makes a statement for sure also note that most of them are sold to political cronies, benomies etc. Its always good to maintain a low profile and in the process the children will learn some of it too.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by motorhead123 : 21st February 2022 at 20:58.
motorhead123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 07:31   #158
BHPian

Quote:
The only car which has made an impression on me in the current lots due to multiple reasons is Toyota Fortuner. I know the car is over priced. Still I love the car. Resources are not a problem for me and I can even make an all cash purchase.
Hi Poloman,

I had a similar dilemma few months back, I love changing cars frequently, and owned several Maruti cars from swift to Dzire to Baleno to Ciaz in 12 years leading upto 2021

For the first time in this decade, I happened to experience the joy of a rear wheel drive and 4wd when I swapped my Baleno alpha CVT which was under 2 years for a new Thar

I was super happy with this Thar diesel manual Convertible top, but family kept complaining about space and comfort

Now, I was standing here with a decision to go back to regular cars preferably front wheel driven Maruti or Hyundai or Kia and selling my thar for practically cost price since price hikes helped me get out at no profit no loss

So I did that, and wanted to get an XUV700 Awd in petrol top end (this variant was never launched and they just had Ax7 diesel awd).. I even made a profile on the website for prebooking

Then a crazy thought ran through me, I felt 4wd it must be so let me evaluate Fortuner or endeavour

I went to Satyam Ford Thane and found one of the last units of Endy 4wd standing there Aug 21 manufactured and super luxurious.. costing almost 44 lakh

Imagine jumping from 10 lakh to 16 lakh to 44 lakh all under one year, and my getting family approval wasn’t easy - so I thought

When I went home to discuss, wife was super happy when she learnt I decided to sell the Thar, she thought I never would part with this

I had many arguments and my love for thar was very evident .. so basically we had two options on the table - XUV700 (sane choice) or Ford endeavour (the super upgrade) and fact that it too was 4wd made my soul happy since it could also do some off-roading later in its life

I didn’t go for the fortuner though it’s peppy and drives very well cos the 4*4 auto cost 48 lakh plus had a few feature misses which i wanted like 3rd row full flat and beige leather and sun roof (nice to have, not essential)

So, I finally the Endeavour in October 21 though there was some guilt and my parents advised not to put so much money on a car.. but I justified the cost saying this size of car, with features and full time 4wd is rare under 50 lakh and though they gave 1.5 lakh odd discount only on the insurance I went ahead and closed it

In hindsight, I feel I did the right thing and my Goa road trip pretty much proved the point as we comfortably travelled with so much luggage, it was almost as if we moved part of our house for week

The guilt will not last beyond few months, but the joy will be there till the last day of your ownership and when you see the utility and comfort of a large vehicle especially on long drives , plus fortuner is a super safe and reliable car

Remember, the cost of the car is just the difference between purchase price and selling price .. so, if you can gain memories worth this amount, it’s a worthy investment

I feel you can’t go wrong with a true blue Toyota and if I were in your place i would give it a try for sure .. good luck !!

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd February 2022 at 08:44. Reason: Fixing Quote
sudhirdamo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 07:54   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was super happy with this Thar diesel manual Convertible top, but family kept complaining about space and comfort
This was exactly my worry with Fortuner. Even the head room was so tight in the middle row in such a big car.
Endeavour is a great choice. Though I have not driven the car, mightily impressed by the Endeavor Sport in all black which came, I think in 2020.
I am super happy with the decision for going with Innova. If you are in doubt, just wait it out for a month, do extensive test drives and see whether your initial decision and choices still stand. You may be surprised to see how quickly your head and heart can work in unison to arrive at a best case scenario. That may be totally different from your perceptions at the start.
I will update the thread with delivery report of Innova Crysta. That may happen in April is what I presume.

Last edited by poloman : 22nd February 2022 at 07:59.
poloman is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 10:46   #160
BHPian

Quote:
"Head over heart, Practicality over sheer road presence, Comfort over charm, Family over masculine pride"
The decision was much simpler in the end. With a twist in the tale, I booked a pearl white Innova Diesel ZX AT.
Looks like you have reached a decision finally, which is a great achievement.

I quoted your question to most of my friends I met recently. Some of them who bought cars of their choice. Some were resonating with the same guilt. A few others said they wouldn't spend so much on a car, though they might spend 100k for a phone or a camera without any guilt.

I am in your boat, or even worse, who cannot overcome the psychological barrier of 2lacs for a motorcycle. "I paid 40k for a Splendor in 2001, so it is fine to pay 2.5lac for a Honda CB350" - I tell this to myself.

I have decided to buy only one more car in my life (inspired by another thread here) - so waiting for Jimny. For once, I want to take a decision in my life with "heart over head, sheer road presence over practicality, charm over comfort, masculine pride over family".

Hope I will be able to do this ! Anyway, Jimny is at least 6months away. I will overcome my guilt by then.
Old 23rd February 2022, 09:34   #161
BHPian

Quote:
So, am I doing the right thing by spending such a huge amount on a car which may be higher than what you spend on your child education. Also the
huge carbon foot print of a massive diesel SUV worries me.
The above lines have really touched me, often times we forget/ choose to forget the value of money when we buy something expensive. Carbon footprint is an irrelevant factor to many. I am Glad you made it a point to be taken into consideration.

I personally feel you should wait for a few years and see how things develop in the automotive industry, may be something good and interesting might come to the market, something like a hybrid suv or so.
Old 23rd February 2022, 11:30   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romins View Post
For once, I want to take a decision in my life with "heart over head, sheer road presence over practicality, charm over comfort, masculine pride over family".

Hope I will be able to do this !

Then go for it - if you can afford this then why not. Way I see things:

-Live in present.
-For future do decent planning but don't pend everything for later.
-As life passes by we are spending one currency that will never come back i.e. our health.
- In future we may get even a Ferrari but our health would have gone by then as in become Old.
-We all get one life & this is it. To think there will be another life to do things is a fallacy.
-In this life we all are one heartbeat away from being nothing.
-So seize today, live in present. Do your bit for nature & those around you but don't always let your head overrule your heart.

On a personal note my thinking went a great change during Covid. So many near & dear ones lost their life in Covid. They had aspirations/dreams/desires and at very young age lost their life. How are they going to fulfil their dreams?

Hence my motto is live in Present. Everyday do something that makes you happy. Don't pend all things even for weekend.

(My 2 cents - no offence to anyone).

Last edited by heydj : 23rd February 2022 at 11:39.
heydj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 14:34   #163
BHPian

Quote:
I am super with the decision for going with Innova. If you are in doubt, just wait it out for a month, do extensive test drives and see whether your initial decision and choices still stand. You may be surprised to see how quickly your head and heart can work in unison to arrive at a best case scenario. That may be totally different from your perceptions at the start.
I will update the thread with delivery report of Innova Crysta. That may happen in April is what I presume.
Congratulations on your decision. Innova Crysta is a great car. I had one and used for 3 years (bought it in 2018) including driving all the way from Bangalore to Bhutan with a family of 4. It is extremely comfortable and powerful too. (I had the 2.8 litre version).

I had bought the Innova instead of the Fortuner simply because it felt too expensive and the 20 Lac odd difference could fund a child's education.

Anyway I ended up exchanging my Innova for the 2021 model Fortuner. I got a great price on the Innova and with God's grace managed the funding as well.

Fortuner is as comfortable as Innova and the 4WD gives you the peace of mind on those terrains in you decide to go there.

Cheers
Carrot.
carrot_eater is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2022, 15:23   #164
BHPian

I am also in the market to buy Fortuner, but in Petrol due to the rules in NCR tilted to discourage Diesel Car purchase. The only dilemma is whether a Petrol Fortuner is worth a buy or not as showrooms don't even offer Test drives of Petrol Fortuner in Delhi. Test-driven Tiguan. Though it was good to drive with nice power, not sure whether the model will last even for a year looking at the sales numbers they post for the past 2 months after introduction of this new model (40, 61). We have no new SUVs in the 2.0+ Litre engine category left. Awaiting Tucson new launch to make my decision. Also some scoop regarding Corolla Cross and Avenza from Toyota stable is doing rounds. Anyways, I have to get the car by May 2022. So, by April First week I have to book. Any suggestion?
Old 23rd February 2022, 15:42   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srameshdelhi View Post
I am also in the market to buy Fortuner, but in Petrol due to the rules in NCR tilted to discourage Diesel Car purchase. The only dilemma is whether a Petrol Fortuner is worth a buy or not as showrooms don't even offer Test drives of Petrol Fortuner in Delhi. Test-driven Tiguan. Though it was good to drive with nice power, not sure whether the model will last even for a year looking at the sales numbers they post for the past 2 months after introduction of this new model (40, 61).
I also thought of it. But in a city like Bangalore you may get 5-6 Kmpl mileage. Highways also not any better. And there wont be any takers in the used car market due to poor resale in case you have a change of mind. Expecting a major hike in fuel prices after UP elections.

Quote:
We have no new SUVs in the 2.0+ Litre engine category left. Awaiting Tucson new launch to make my decision. Also some scoop regarding Corolla Cross and Avenza from Toyota stable is doing rounds. Anyways, I have to get the car by May 2022. So, by April First week I have to book. Any suggestion?
Hybrid SUVs will be a good choice, but not clear when they will arrive and what will be the price points. Expect min 3-4L premium even on Innova if that happens. Also that may be offered in a FWD format which I did not want.

Innova was a Hobson's choice since I was also looking to buy a car this year.

Last edited by poloman : 23rd February 2022 at 15:47.
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks