Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2022, 11:16   #16
BHPian

Re: Want to buy a 45 - 50 lakh SUV | How to get rid of the middle class guilt?

Been there, done that

Please get the car, it will outlast your guilt!!

If you have arrived at a position where you can afford the behemoth, with all your strengths, you will sustain the lifestyle too. We live to drive, tinker with and pamper our rides. Please do not have guilt, you have earnt it, reward yourself for being successful! Take your parents along, when you book, and take delivery of the vehicle. Best wishes to you.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 3rd February 2022 at 11:19.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 11:27   #17
BHPian

At this age it is time to do what heart wants. Too much time has been spent on keeping many people happy. Now it is time to bring joy to yourself. Good choice of vehicle, a robust and handsome looking.

We buy car in small numbers compared to rest of the world. We collectively have a small carbon footprint. You have done enough for it driving a car for 12 years.

Buy a new one, twist it, turn it, go vroom(I know it's a suv) but still. It is time to YOLO.
Sran is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Now come, my dilemma. I will call this the 'great Indian middle class guilt or remorse' when one spent huge amounts on depreciating assets.
Why you should take guilt on yourself when you can afford the things independently. Your guilt appears to be of two types one financial and other social. Keep both these guilt aside and listen to your heart. If purchase of Fortuner keep you and your family happy then what’s other on earth matters you. You have to try to get rid of this middle class guilt as you are financially strong and I believe you must have secured your future for any kind of financial turbulence. Toyota Fortuner is a great family car so grab it .
sandeepsc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 17:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Is Toyota customer support and service the same it used to be? Despite the whipping boy of the forum VW support has never let me down. I had registered a Fortuner query on the Toyota India website both for new and used few days back. Received a call from a centralized number and they told nearest show room will get in touch. So far not a single call from them for 3 days. Am I expecting something unreasonable? I hate negligence and customer slight the most.

Last edited by poloman : 3rd February 2022 at 17:29.
poloman is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 18:10   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is Toyota customer support and service the same it used to be? Despite the whipping boy of the forum VW support has never let me down. I had registered a Fortuner query on the Toyota India website both for new and used few days back. Received a call from a centralized number and they told nearest show room will get in touch. So far not a single call from them for 3 days. Am I expecting something unreasonable? I hate negligence and customer slight the most.
When people crib about VW, it's usually related to reliability, cost of repair and lack of good will/warranty support. VW staff conduct themselves very professionally, communication is prompt and generally they make you feel valued. It just costs money, sometimes a lot :-) I owned a Fabia and I was treated on par with Superb owners. Felt like always flying business class even though I owned a very old and humble Fabia.

Based on my limited experience with Toyota, it's a bit like fish market. The car is very reliable, things cost very less and if things go wrong you are likely to get good support. However I felt like I have visited a self service darshini restaurant. I took Camry to the A.S.S and I got lost in the sea of yellow plate Innova and Etios etc. I don't think I saw another owner in the A.S.S - mostly drivers.

I am not trying to put down Toyota but when it comes to making you feel like a valued customer, there is a noticeable difference.
androdev is online now   (35) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 18:17   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

You have come from a modest middle class background to a stage where you can outright buy a 50L vehicle comfortably. That is a fantastic achievement and you should be proud of yourself. Give yourself a pat on the back and go and buy that Fortuner.
Rajeevraj is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 19:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
You have come from a modest middle class background to a stage where you can outright buy a 50L vehicle comfortably. That is a fantastic achievement and you should be proud of yourself. Give yourself a pat on the back and go and buy that Fortuner.
I think, there is nothing great here. Any one who has been working in IT sector for around 25 years with out break should be able to manage this. But most will choose it safe. That is why in India mostly luxury cars ~>50L are reserved for business class. There may be exceptions. This is what I see around my circle.

There is n't a single German marque in my apartment of around 160 families. In my company (one of the largest semicon company) the same can be counted on your fingers. The cars exponentially decrease after 20L bracket.
poloman is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 19:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The sales folks are same as any other car brand in India. Some will be knowledgeable and other dressed slightly better. All they want is to earn their commission which is okay. What I found different in a good way is Toyota service. Systematic, timely, good at triaging and always reassuring to see your car get serviced. Again Service advisors are not very different but the level of depth from technicians is wonderful. Also Toyota somehow retains technicians, have been visiting multiple dealers since 2008 and always good to see familiar face for longer time. That said beware of advisors as I told, they will try to add so called " Value added service" and try to fleece you just like any other dealer . Done with long explanation, all I tried to say is the experience has been good since 2008.
PrideRed is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 19:51   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
The sales folks are same as any other car brand in India. Some will be knowledgeable and other dressed slightly better. All they want is to earn their commission which is okay.
I think they are earning those commissions with out much effort where as VW and Skoda have to earn their customers. They know who ever looking for Toyota cars specially Innova or Fortuner will come to them due to lack of competent cars in these segments. So why invest in sales pitch, keep cool.
poloman is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 20:03   #25
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
There is n't a single German marque in my apartment of around 160 families. In my company (one of the largest semicon company) the same can be counted on your fingers. The cars exponentially decrease after 20L bracket.
You need to change your friend circle

One a serious note, the number of luxury cars in my apartment has increased manifold. It was very true 15 years back when we moved in, almost all cars were Santro/WagonR.
Then it switched to sedans and CSUVs starting 2010- Accent, Vento, SX4, Creta, Brezza, etc.

But now we do have Audi, BMW, Volvo, Fortuner, Compass, Octavia in good numbers. What i noticed is that the Audi and BMWs which I know are through company lease.

I would totally agree with others here. If the budget is not going to pinch you, go ahead and buy it. My company is planning on some leasing program and hoping I could upgrade.
m8002? is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 20:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
You need to change your friend circle

One a serious note, the number of luxury cars in my apartment has increased manifold. It was very true 15 years back when we moved in, almost all cars were Santro/WagonR.
Then it switched to sedans and CSUVs starting 2010- Accent, Vento, SX4, Creta, Brezza, etc.
May be true
Most of the cars are Cretas, Seltos, Ecosports, XUV 500s etc. People seem to stuck at this due to lack of quality or VFM options in the 30-40L or even 40-50L segment.
poloman is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 20:40   #27
BHPian

Quote:

I am from a large semiconductor company too and well, 25 years

Do justice to being a "senior" bhpian in a semiconductor company: get that behemoth home
lapis_lazuli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 08:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Shall I wait for a better EV option or listen to heart and buy the Fortuner?
I am thoroughly confused on the road ahead. Hope to get some advice from fellow members.
Since you can clearly afford to buy the car, I see no harm in buying it. If nothing the pandemic has made us realise the fragile nature of life. If not now, then when?

Regarding the EV, by the time you want to sell your fortuner (in say 10 years) the tech will be mature enough to buy into.
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 09:02   #29
BANNED

Poloman! You ain't middle class dude !!! Just go and listen to "The Nights" by Avicii, then dash to the nearest Toyota showroom. I don't like the ride quality of the beast though, but as you have your heart set on it, let it be.

As someone who's in your age bracket, I can understand your thoughts. But as far I can make out, you have taken care of other things for family, so don't be in guilt.
The Rationalist is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 09:23   #30
BHPian

I don't have much to say except GO GET THAT FORTUNER!
Alternatively, get a 2020/2021 Endeavour and save some upfront cost. But, there's always a but (two here):

1. Endeavour is a depreciation disaster overall (but the 3.2 is still holding some value, at least way more than the 2.2)
2. Part prices and lead time could be an issue few years down the line

However, the Fortuner is an overall very good choice. It is fun and reliable and is leaps and bounds ahead of the old one
Parts won't be an issue and both service and repairs are quite reasonable. Fill it, shut it and forget it.

Alternatively, if you feel a little feisty, have a look at used X5 and GL/GLS but caveat emptor. Upkeep would be very expensive.
Anyway, it's great that you are not in the anti-car region (read NCR) so it'll be a while before some stupid rules make it to your place
vredesbyrd is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed