Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2022, 11:15   #46
BHPian

Re: Want to buy a 45 - 50 lakh SUV | How to get rid of the middle class guilt?

Totally empathize with the middle class guilt! When I bought my first car, a Maruti 800, someone in my family threatened to disown me. Because cars for the wealthy, not middle class. Decades later, here I am, secretly plotting for over a year to buy off a Mercedes! The day I break this news, it will be armageddon!

Since you mentioned you have the resources and wont feel the pinch, my advice is to go for it!
veyron_head is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 11:18   #47
BHPian

Hi,

Yes, I can totally relate to your confusion.

I would like you to think a bit differently, if Not the Fortuner, which is the closest next contender, for e.g, hypothetically consider a Creta, the top variant of which costs approximately 22lacs, and then compare the price difference with the on road cost of Fortuner, which is in the range of 45-50 lacs, (approximately 28 lacs if on road cost is 50 lacs), then evaluate the whole equation.

Yes, if you don't intend to buy any car at all, then the expenditure is substantial, even for the Creta. (Middle class mentality )

Secondly, if you have already set your heart and mind on the Fortuner, and finances are not an issue (considering you are financially secure, and free of any debts and responsibilities, which demand 28 lacs or 50 lacs of expenditure), go for it.

No other car can occupy the space in your heart, which is already set on the Fortuner. (Imagine the pain you will feel while driving a new Creta, when a new Fortuner zips past your car)

Finally
You only live once......
smileline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 11:32   #48
BHPian

I don’t think it makes any sense to spend 50L on a car unless you can classify it as discretionary. In my case (this might not be applicable to you), I realised that in many of my bigger spends, the excitement was in the chase i.e. the process of acquiring. Once I had it, the possession seemed to, at best give me slight pleasure but not to the extent I expected. A car became kind of ‘meh’ to me after a while. There’s a law for this in economics which is called Diminishing Marginal Utility which seemed to strongly apply to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marginal_utility

I’ll go against the grain here and say that you don’t need a Fortuner. The 50L can be put to much better use in other forms of discretionary spending. You could fund exciting vacations for a decade with that money. You could go on driving vacations to the greatest roads in Europe. You could watch the wildebeest migration on the Masai Mara. You can start ticking items off your bucket list right now.

This would offer so much more to life than what a Fortuner sitting idle in your garage for over 90% of its life ever would.
ranjitnair77 is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 11:32   #49
BHPian

'Middle class guilt' - I couldn't have coded my feeling any better in such a succinct format as I am in the same boat now ! I started looking at an upgrade with the Superb as a target and have test driven everything between the Octavia and the BMW 330i Sport. The 330i Sport costs 55L OTR in Bangalore which translates to 72.5K USD, damn that costs 70% more than what I would have paid in the US. While affordability is not a question, I have simply haven't been able to convince myself saying that its OK to get it. To top it there is no choice of either exterior or interior colors and the waiting periods are insane.

Its come to a point where my family members have stopped responding if I ask them, is it OK to get, shall we get it... My wife's response is, write all the possible answers you like to hear and I will record it for you. You can play it any time you want to ask the same question again and again. I go to sleep convincing myself its only wise to get the Octavia L&K and be happy with it and I wake up with hey we live only once, why not get the BMW and enjoy it while we can. Damn!

The choice my heart has is
1. BMW 330i Sport (55L OTR)
2. Superb L&K (45L OTR)
3. Octavia L&K (37L OTR)

The choice my brain has is
1. Octavia L&K (37L OTR)
2. Fortuner 4x2 AT (45L OTR)

Unfortunately what is complicating things is despite shelling out big money some of these expensive cars are being stingy on features

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
In my case (this might not be applicable to you), I realised that in many of my bigger spends, the excitement was in the chase i.e. the process of acquiring. Once I had it, the possession seemed to, at best give me slight pleasure but not to the extent I expected. A car became kind of ‘meh’ to me after a while.
Amen to that, now I know am not alone on this !

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Shall I wait for a better EV option or listen to heart and buy the Fortuner?
This question has a reasonable answer atleast for me. It will be turn of the decade before EV becomes mainstream with all the niggles ironed out. So I am thinking this purchase as the last gas powered purchase which I hope to treasure for whatever time I get to spend with it.

Last edited by SR-71 : 4th February 2022 at 11:39.
SR-71 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 11:39   #50
BHPian

As I am in a similar stage in life, I completely get what you are saying in terms of how much sense does it make to fork out a large sum for a car. While it will make for a lot of new travels, memories with family and all that, what I realized it is more than justifying to others, at least my struggle is how to justify to myself

I agree with most of the members' comments here about taking the plunge for what you love since most other life goals have been planned for. I am sure most of us are sensible enough and doing our bit for the environment already

The pandemic has clearly brought home the message that life is indeed fickle and while I recovered quickly, there were others I know that didn't. So I say don't wait any longer, go for it and make the best use of what you like.

I feel thinking about resale value, what to do with it 10 years hence etc. is going down a rabbit hole only and should not be the reason to buy what we desire today. All the best!
vijaykr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 11:42   #51
BHPian

One way to cut the guilt may be to look at used car options and buy the car you want at a much lower cost. This opens up a whole lot of possibilities but one has to shoulder extra responsibility in the decision making process and ownership. This option may be the middle path that assuages the guilt a wee bit but helps you "purchase without remorse". And the car you like is one that just improves with age. A few battle scars are nothing for that SUV.
megazoid is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 11:45   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is high time an upgrade is due... The only car which has made an impression on me in the current lots due to multiple reasons is Toyota Fortuner.
Quite clear that the Fortuner is not your long-cherished dream. It is not an end in itself, it is just a means for your travels. Do not spend so much on it. Buy some other vehicle that matches most of your expectations. Most likely you will save a handsome bunch of money.

Put that money to productive use.
Or add it to your retirement corpus. Retire early, and live a comfortable life.
adisan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 11:53   #53
BHPian

poloman (& others in the same boat), congratulations in advance for being in a position to buy what the heart desires! .

While following the thread, came across the following image from the book "Whole Numbers and Half Truths: What Data Can and Cannot Tell Us About Modern India" about the definition of the terms "middle-class" in the present from the author's Twitter post:

Want to buy a 45 - 50 lakh SUV | How to get rid of the middle class guilt?-wholenumbersandhalftruthsch5.jpg
anivy is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 11:58   #54
One
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
The 50L can be put to much better use in other forms of discretionary spending. You could fund exciting vacations for a decade with that money. You could go on driving vacations to the greatest roads in Europe. You could watch the wildebeest migration on the Masai Mara. You can start ticking items off your bucket list right now.
While I largely agree with most points you made, this one aspect may not match the case of OP who mentioned somewhere in this thread about having an extended family.

To keep things simple, will skip car maintenance costs/ subjective aspects like memories of foreign vs local trips/ hotel costs and keep things purely on numbers:

- The asset cost Fortuner will not cost Rs.50 lakhs. It is a depreciating asset but nevertheless an asset. And traditionally it holds its value well. It will have a value after 10 years which needs to be remembered.

- In an extended family with elderly members, international tickets to continents like Europe/ Africa/ Australia/ Americas will cost around a lakh and higher. 6 folks in typical extended family is 6 lakhs, one trip a year is 30 lakhs minimum on flights over five years.

Like I said above, keeping things simple for calculation purposes. Then there are aspects like taking a small road trip every month with entire family which many of my friends do.

Mathematically, there will be cases when spending on Fortuner will be more expensive than a decade of travel but for extended families (like the OP), this will rarely be the case. Also the regular conveniences like local travel to the restaurant with entire family can be done only in a big car.

Last edited by One : 4th February 2022 at 12:15.
One is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 12:09   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by One View Post
Then there are aspects like taking a small road trip every month with entire family
These experiences are priceless!

International flights and holidays are now subject to chance, anxiety and the constant worry of getting stranded due to a lockdown of sorts.

A fully loaded 7 seater with family, food and the journey undertaken can never be equated with monetary value.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 12:10   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

'Yella ok. Cool drink yaake?'

All this middle-class guilt is ok but why the Fortuner?

If it's driven by Toyota reliability and resale value, then where is the plot of a heroic middle-class rebel protagonist?
androdev is online now   (34) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 12:22   #57
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking to buy a brand new 55L car vs something like flat or land or shop, I don't think you are middle class any more in India. Or are you? So no need to feel guilty.
I might be horribly behind the current happenings on that front.

Edit : it's Fortuner. In 2027 it will cost 80L OTR. A well cared for used 2022 Fortuner will go for 50L in used markets. You are in good hands.

Last edited by amol4184 : 4th February 2022 at 12:33.
amol4184 is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 12:22   #58
BHPian

@poloman As one with similar background and value systems, my advice to you would be based on the very same middle class values which PRIMARILY emphasize practicality, conservatism, priorities in life and above all value for money in every financial commitment;

If this is the bottomline which most of us care for and cherish, then the deconstruct of your dilemma could be as follows:

a) Have you taken care of the roof over your family (all dependents) head?

b) Do you have medium and long term plans in place with structured savings / investments for your children's education/marriage, your retirement, older dependents medical expenses and overall family medical insurances?

c) Do you have any long term commitments which exist but have not matured yet and not covered by (b)?

d) The funds you have - are those completely free and clear - and do not have major correlation with any other wish/desire (for yourself or your close family) which could cause heart burn later?

If your answer is (a)-Yes, (b)-Yes, (c)-No, (d)-Yes, then using the same middle class values - buying the Toyota Fortuner is EXACTLY in alignment.

There is absolutely no logic why you would not acquire that highly reliable, value for money, indestructible, comfortable SUV with an easily usable lifespan of 15 years making fantastic memories for your elders, family and children - brining them years of joy and happiness!

Q.E.D.
allinbalance is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 12:38   #59
BHPian

Very rightly said by ranjitnair77 above. The car of your dreams would give you the pleasure you want but we get used to the things we have and it doesn't seem to be "the" car which we dreamt of. Once you are over that initial exhilaration, then its just "a" car. And don't forget, once you have the Fortuner you will not dream of the Fortuner. You will dream of something else, something bigger, something more expensive.

Your pursuit will continue but the target will change. So don't expect that after buying Fortuner you will sit back and relax without any more dream cars. If you are ok with that, go ahead.
mayank0782 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 12:40   #60
BHPian

Quote:
To be very honest, I am not that bowled over by Fortuner like I was with Polo.

One major concern for me is the poor ride quality of Fortuner as many pointed out.
Jeep Meridian and Kia Carnival 2022 also I may consider before making the final decision. At least this may lead to some softening of Fortuner prices.
Well well, poloman - I sympathize with your plight & can relate to your current situation. In the same/similar boat myself (including the industry). There is nothing great in the 25-40L (on road bracket) and that leaves us with very few choices.

This led me to explore options with some compromises and I went to check out an old love (the Octavia)

You may want to check out my experience/s over here while I play out the mind vs heart game
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/skoda-...ve-experiences

I will not offer you any advice - rather wait and watch how it pans out for you. But as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, the Fortuner fits the middle class mentatilty to a T! And by the way, you are middle class only in your head and not in reality :-p (no offense!)

Your thread has opened up some more avenues in my mind. Wish you luck with your decision making.
kedar_GT is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks