Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2022, 15:40   #76
BHPian

Re: Want to buy a 45 - 50 lakh SUV | How to get rid of the middle class guilt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

buy a European car that is 20 lakhs cheaper than a Fortuner, you are splurging money.
I completely agree to this!
Splurging, or for that matter, how much depreciation will weigh you down, is perspective and totally subjective at the end of the day.
This will entirely depend on the million dynamics of your own life.

I’m still getting unwarranted flak for owning a pre owned X3 from random people who don’t even know what I do, or where I live!

Do buy the Fortnuer, Poloman! At the end of the day, as a parent, you will strive for the best possible option in your child’s education anyways. Whether or not you car(s) have been expensive. (Since you’ve pointed out that some cars might be more expensive than a child’s education). It’s what your heart desires after all!
humbleroadster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 16:17   #77
BHPian

I was in the same position as you, a couple of years back, but upgrading from a CRV. I was debating between buying the X1, C-Class and 3-series.

But I ended up buying the Fortuner because
1. Floods should affect the Fortuner much less than the sedans (the Chennai floods of 2015 made me paranoid. It's nothing compared to the flooding that happens in Mumbai, but still)
2. The space factor. I needed 5 to sit comfortably.
3. Long-distance cruiser
4. Resale value.
hajaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 17:24   #78
BHPian

Thanks for the lovely thread which associates many of us with the middle class dilemma. You literally read my mind about your experience. I faced this first when I bought RX100 in 1990 when I started earning but had to borrow 40% from my late father. Similar thoughts came to my mind, but after using it for 12years, believe me never regretted a bit. Again same situation in 2003 when I had to withdraw full PF to buy old Baleno sedan. Now I feel proud of having taken the decision, though many advised me against. Its been 18 years and has been my travel partner for many long drives(got it extended by 5 years).Therefore some answers cannot be given before, but after you have used it. This is an important factor to consider, when we are in similar situation where money, mind and heart are involved.

Last edited by sukhbirST : 4th February 2022 at 17:26.
sukhbirST is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 18:39   #79
Senior - BHPian

Poloman- You’ve earned it. Go for it. Follow your Heart.

I went through extremely similar thoughts when I picked my new A6. Finally, I did plunge my money into it, because, I knew I had sacrificed so much thru the years and had got into the habit for living for tomorrow. Thanks to that habit, with tomorrow being fairly secure, I told myself that I truly earned a luxury German.

Go for it! Only problem is that your Tbhp handle might have to go thru a change too. 😊
jkrishnakj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 18:47   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Now come, my dilemma. I will call this the 'great Indian middle class guilt or remorse' when one spent huge amounts on depreciating assets.
Firstly, a car lover will never see a car as an "asset", depreciation be damned! If you do, I am sorry to say, you are not a car lover.

Secondly, as a human being you ought to have at least one passion, for which you will rarely try to rationalize/justify your actions. In case of us car lovers, the answer is obvious.

And last but not the least, my friend, Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, aka YOLO! Never has this fact been accentuated more than over the last two years. As they say, when one is at his/her deathbed, he/she is more likely to regret what he/she could NOT do, as opposed to what he/she did

So, live your life and go for your passion, as long as you are not completely jeopardizing your finances

Last edited by cool_dube : 4th February 2022 at 18:50.
cool_dube is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 18:58   #81
BHPian

Quote:

Daughter's studies abroad with zero loans. 60-70L will be pretty much what you need for a Masters degree in US. Don't want to burden my daughter with any loans in the start of her career.

Decent charitable activities. Give something back significantly to the society.

Go for zero loan and build a bigger house which I am planning 2 years down the line. We already have an apartment currently.
And Fortuner too. Why not ?

I think you can do it. Just don't go bankrupt and mess with your health.
hondafanboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 19:43   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am sure many of us who have come from modest back grounds but risen well only due to our parents focus on education will feel this. 45-50L is a huge amount. So, am I doing the right thing by spending such a huge amount on a car which may be higher than what you spend on your child education. You can do so many great things with that kind of money. Also the
huge carbon foot print of a massive diesel SUV worries me. Sadly no other current car excites me or I don't consider those upgrades worthy.

Shall I wait for a better EV option or listen to heart and buy the Fortuner?
I am thoroughly confused on the road ahead. Hope to get some advice from fellow members.
If you have enough resources to give best education to your children and enough to fulfil all your needs for rest of your life after spending 50 Lakhs on Fortuner, definitely go for it. After all you never know what will happen tomorrow, better to live your dreams today. All the best !
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 19:50   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Polo has completed 12 years now.

Shall I wait for a better EV option or listen to heart and buy the Fortuner?
Well, well, well. How the turntables! - Michael Scott

I drive a 2013 4x4 Fortuner and have recently booked a Polo.

Around a month back I was having a similar discussion with my friend when I told him that instead of buying the Legender I'm considering the Polo because my daily expressway drive would keep me grinning, parking outside my factory wouldn't need any pre-planning, is going to be peanuts in ownership cost (compared to a 50 lakh SUV) and I'd happily save some more money for my daughter instead.

I think it all depends on what makes you happy. I mean you could plonk a few more bucks and get the Ninja H2 instead, that'd be a whole different level of contemplation compared to what you're having now!
fine69 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 19:54   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Few years back, I had a US vacation to Disney Land and East coast with my then 10 year old daughter. That was one of the best experiences we had in our lives. It costed just over 8L. So you could do at least 6 foreign trips with the money you spent on a 50L SUV. Was planning a Europe trip during 2020-2021 which could not materialize due to COVID.

Daughter's studies abroad with zero loans. 60-70L will be pretty much what you need for a Masters degree in US. Don't want to burden my daughter with any loans in the start of her career.

Decent charitable activities. Give something back significantly to the society.

Go for zero loan and build a bigger house which I am planning 2 years down the line. We already have an apartment currently.

I don't plan to retire early and plan to work so long the industry needs me. But make sure that you retire with a huge corpus for worry free sunset years.
All this makes me scared. Have the feeling I missed thinking about a lot of things in life.
megazoid is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 20:01   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid View Post
All this makes me scared. Have the feeling I missed thinking about a lot of things in life.
You are out of the Matrix with your lowered BMW
androdev is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 20:03   #86
BHPian

Quote:
The only car which has made an impression on me in the current lots due to multiple reasons is Toyota Fortuner. I know the car is over priced. Still I love the car. Resources are not a problem for me and I can even make an all cash purchase.

Let me ask you one single question and I hope its answer ends your dilemma.

When you will be in your late 60s, 70s, or 80s (assuming you already haven't reached there ) will you for once regret not buying the Fortuner when you could have?

If your answer is No, I won't then you can skip it enjoy your Polo.

If your answer is Yes, then you simply go and book one. Period!

And if you fall under the latter I would give you one piece of advice. Even if you have all the money at your disposal please look for the opportunity cost of that sum. Simply put if you put the same money somewhere which can give you post-tax similar returns as the car's EMI then don't go the full cash way. That said, whatever be the case do let's know what was your final decision.
AROO7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 20:15   #87
BHPian

I just love this thread more and more. The musings from the folks are so diverse and so many thought provoking comments

Of late, I am increasing leaning towards planning for the future goals to a reasonable extent only. For the kids, a good education and hopefully good values have been inculcated. Now it is up to them to find their passions and make their own money For retirement, have an amount that lasts 25 years or so and hope I don't outlive the money

If some of my current investments work out, yes it will give some more cushion. I stopped worrying about it too much only because playing around in Excel for calcs on inflation %, cost of living #s, future values etc. didn't get me more comfort than where I started from.

Apologies for the digression, but where I am going is, definitely there should be a plan, but following the heart is needed as well. Whether that is a small indulgence or a big one is up to our individual situation and circumstance.

So yes, @poloman, I still say go for what you want and love
vijaykr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2022, 20:17   #88
BHPian

Slot gear into D. Drive SUV forward. Leave guilt behind.
Old 4th February 2022, 20:18   #89
BHPian

In my opinion, you need to somehow quantify what you like about Fortuner and to what extent you like. Based on that, a decision to make a purchase (or not) can be made.

Do you like long drives? DO you think your family or you will cherish the memories of trips (short or long) in a Fortuner? Or is it just the road presence and status symbol of having arrived will give you pleasure (and that's OK to some extent)? For example I, like many here, just like to drive my car, especially on long drives. Do you think you live once or many times? Do you think you may regret not buying ten years from now? Will it make you willing and happy to take your family for shopping just because you get to drive THE Fortuner?

And then coming to cons. You probably need to calculate the opportunity cost of buying Fortuner! Opportunity cost may mean an additional 1 acre farmhouse for your golden years or a retirement few years early or money for many more trips abroad with family/self. How much do you value them as opposed to enjoying the drive in Fortuner? And the driving enjoyment is much much more when one is young!
I am assuming affordability is not an issue as such.

Personally, I believe bang for the buck for such high priced cars is very low in India, in part this opinion also formed by my stay abroad where one does not have to be an executive to own a Merc/BMW or likes of Fortuner and the roads are still much better to enjoy the drives. That's why I went for a used Audi Q5 which was a decent trade-off. I have loved the road trips and drives but still probably never convince myself to buy a new one even if I could and reason could be inadvertent middle class bringing-up which I may explicitly not know as decision maker!

One factor to consider is congested roads of India and parking will not be so easy everywhere, especially in Bangalore.
Good luck! VW Polo is a great car though!

Last edited by OffRoadFun : 4th February 2022 at 20:34.
Old 4th February 2022, 20:18   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Well, well, well. How the turntables! - Michael Scott

I drive a 2013 4x4 Fortuner and have recently booked a Polo.
This is really humbling to know.
I am not at all a person who is in to offroading. Neither would I think will I do multiple solo trips to Himalayas. But for some reason Fortuner has struck chord in my heart.

Many here talks about the pleasure in driving the car you love. I don't think any one would disagree if I talk about the kick in having a huge sum in your bank. The content and safe feeling that it provides is also equally exhilarating. But it won't own you, neighbors envy . So societal pride drives a lot of things.

Quote:
Let me ask you one single question and I hope its answer ends your dilemma
I am really not sure about this. That is why I wanted to know from the fellow members what they feel about this.

Last edited by poloman : 4th February 2022 at 20:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks