Team-BHP > What Car? > SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2022, 15:36   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Want to buy a 45 - 50 lakh SUV | How to get rid of the middle class guilt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post
Hi Poloman,

You might end up writing a detailed account of your booking process, but in the meantime, do you have recommendations for a Toyota dealer in Bangalore? I have been to Ravindu twice (north Bangalore) but would like to check others out too.

I read elsewhere that you got discounts of Rs. 25K. Awesome!

Thanks.
Advise you to consult Nandi or Viva as well if there is one near to your place. 20-25K dealer discounts should be possible on Zx models. Also ask dealer to match insurance from outside. I went with Ravindu and was pleased with their transparent approach.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 12:59   #182
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
One of the reasons for quick decision making was the worst experience in used car market for Fortuners.

There are hardly any real owners in the online market places. Dealers were expecting more than ex-showroom prices for 3-4 year cars. Most cars have suspicious history. They treat you with contempt. I am not the type who gets desperate and fall in to this trap.
German Luxury car, no chance. I don't want any white elephants in the garage.

I may go for a small lifestyle SUV like Jimny if at all it is being launched. As of now I am content with Innova and Polo in my stable.
I had a 2013 Fortuner which is sold a few years back and I had a hard time selling it as dealers constantly approached me with low ball offers.
But after driving the Fortuner for a number of years and over 80k km, i would prefer to have gotten an automatic Innova with a driver. The noise levels in a Fortuner are much higher than you would expect in a car costing as much as it does. The price has just gone up to ridiculous levels (45L+) for what it offers.
I would suggest you apply sound deadening materials all over the floor and doors of the innova and you would have gotten yourself a car with sound levels that would rival a luxury car and enjoy years of good motoring with unmatched reliability.
chandu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2022, 17:31   #183

Innova Crysta any day , if you are looking for comfort. Fortuner can't replace an Innova. I will NOT upgrade my Innova Touring sport for a legender. If I do, then it will an additional car, Legender. But wait, I would rather buy a Thar to satisfy my 4x4 needs.
Old 19th March 2022, 10:57   #184
BHPian

You have made the correct decision going for an Innova, The Fortuner definitely isn't worth 45 lacs. The ride quality is absolutely atrocious. The Innova is so much better where comfort and layout is concerned. It is probably the best car available sub 30 lakhs. But a Fortuner for 45 lakhs is outlandish.
Old 28th March 2022, 14:23   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Advise you to consult Nandi or Viva as well if there is one near to your place. 20-25K dealer discounts should be possible on Zx models. Also ask dealer to match insurance from outside. I went with Ravindu and was pleased with their transparent approach.
Hello Poloman,

I hope this query is suitable to be included in this thread (since it concerns the Innova Crysta and "middle class values" [i.e., the value-for-money quotient].

I did quick comparisons among the choices in the 7 seater category, and I am vacillating between the Innova Crysta the Kia Carens. The below shows the cost of ownership of them both (among others) that includes the purchase, insurance (assuming a 10% depreciation year-on-year on an inflation-adjusted basis) and fuel costs (service costs are ignored). Here, an ownership period of 10 years involving running 2L kms is assumed. All values are in present-rupee terms.

The value of the fuel economies are the ARAI ones (which, for highway use, might be an underestimate).

Want to buy a 45 - 50 lakh SUV | How to get rid of the middle class guilt?-costcomparison.png

We can see the cost of running an Innova Crysta is close to Rs. 19L more than that of the Kia Carens, amounting to a difference of Rs. 16K a month. This difference would be greater if they are invested, but I have ignored that here.

Furthermore, the cost of running a Kia Carens for 5 years/1L km is about half that of running an Innova Crysta for 10 years/2L km. This implies that one can purchase a Carens, run it for 5 years/1L km, junk it, buy a brand new Carens and again run it for 5 years/1L km and still come out even with running the Crysta.

Questions:

1. Do you think the Crysta is worth the premium of Rs. 16K a month for 10 years?

2. If reliability is compared, I would assume the Carens should run relatively trouble-free for 5 years/1L km after which a new one could be bought and similarly run. This should even out the reliability metrics.

3. The long-term future of the ICE market is unknown. Considering this, do you think it wise to purchase the Innova and have it run for 10 years? One could buy a Carens instead, dispose of it after 5 years/1L km for some amount, and buy an equivalent vehicle at that point in time depending on the evolution of the industry (ICE, EV or fuel-cell based) and still come out even in costs WRT the Crysta.

Also, cars get cheaper with time and one could perhaps get a better vehicle 5 years down for an equivalent cost of today's Carens.

Do let me know your views.
dearchichi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 15:16   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearchichi View Post
Hello Poloman,

I hope this query is suitable to be included in this thread (since it concerns the Innova Crysta and "middle class values" [i.e., the value-for-money quotient].

I did quick comparisons among the choices in the 7 seater category, and I am vacillating between the Innova Crysta the Kia Carens. The below shows the cost of ownership of them both (among others) that includes the purchase, insurance (assuming a 10% depreciation year-on-year on an inflation-adjusted basis) and fuel costs (service costs are ignored). Here, an ownership period of 10 years involving running 2L kms is assumed. All values are in present-rupee terms.

Questions:

1. Do you think the Crysta is worth the premium of Rs. 16K a month for 10 years?
I think you are comparing the wrong variants here. Carens Diesel AT costs >21L OTR in Bangalore.

Also please do extensive test drives of the vehicles you have listed to check for yourself the fit and finish and quality. Innova is a true 7/8 seater with decent luggage space. Others are wannabe 7/8 seaters with nil or non acceptable luggage space.
I agree mileage is a concern for Innova, but it has a 2.4L engine. So obviously you will have more power on tap with 8 on board.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 15:27   #187
BHPian

Quote:
I think you are comparing the wrong variants here. Carens Diesel AT costs >21L OTR in Bangalore.
I forgot to mention that I compared the Crysta automatic to the manual Carens since the former affords a 6-speed gearbox (like that of the Carens) that offsets the short gearing of its 5-speed MT variant.

The vehicle would primarily be driven on the highways, and I am thus not particular of an automatic gearbox. But, the refinement of a 6th gear would certainly be welcome.

WRT power, I need the kerb weight of the Carens (not yet made public) to get the torque and PS values per tonne. But, yes, I guess the Crysta would deliver more of these.
Old 28th March 2022, 15:35   #188
Senior - BHPian

Innova prices may go up again by approx 4% ( more than a lakh for lowest variant) after April. So more and more this car is moving away from VFM or affordable territory. So if you are convinced with Carens for your needs, I think that is the right decision.

I used to be a big fanboy of Polo when I purchased the car in 2010. Used to recommend it to any one and used to defend the car like crazy But not the same with Innova. This is more like a practical choice and I don't plan to recommend this car to any one who is value conscious.

Last edited by poloman : 28th March 2022 at 15:52.
poloman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 15:39   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Innova prices may go up again by approx 4% ( more than a lakh for lowest variant) after April. So more and more this car is moving away from VFM or affordable territory. So if you are convinced with Carens for your needs, I think that is the right decision.
Thanks for your views.

I look forward to your posts regarding the purchase of your Crysta. And, I hope you get it before the price increase!
Old 1st April 2022, 20:32   #190
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,
I have taken delivery of my Innova Crysta. So wanted to bring this thread to a logical conclusion with a short write up. I won't go in to the decision making process and car selection.

I had booked the car on Feb 22 and got delivery today. The car had 23Km on ODO. PDI and delivery were uneventful and everything went as expected.

I was worried about price hikes from April 1 and delivery getting delayed.
Thanks to Ravindu sales and finance team for promising March end delivery and fulfilling that with out any delay or excuses.

The car does not have any issues or glitches as of now. Everything is butter smooth. Hands off to Toyota quality assurance.

The car costed approx 31.7L on road in Bangalore. True to Toyota pedigree the car got costlier by around 1.25L just on the day of purchase.
Is it n't that a good feeling?

Did not opt for upfront payment. Went with a 60:40 cash:loan plan. Have put an equivalent of loan amount in a aggressive MF. Let us see after loan period which will provide more savings.

Did not opt for any accessories since I did not want to fiddle with a new car even if it is at the dealership.

Overall I am totally happy with the purchase.

Since Innova Crysta has been around for a while and there are multiple reviews in the forum. I am not planning a full fledged owner ship review. Just a few pictures of the car and the delivery

12 years back on Polo delivery day.
Want to buy a 45 - 50 lakh SUV | How to get rid of the middle class guilt?-100_5462.jpg

Both car and daughter have grown up.
Want to buy a 45 - 50 lakh SUV | How to get rid of the middle class guilt?-20220401_173120.jpg

Isn't it looking majestic..!!
Want to buy a 45 - 50 lakh SUV | How to get rid of the middle class guilt?-20220401_193817.jpg

Best angle according to me.
Want to buy a 45 - 50 lakh SUV | How to get rid of the middle class guilt?-20220401_193844.jpg

Wannabe butch..!!
Want to buy a 45 - 50 lakh SUV | How to get rid of the middle class guilt?-20220401_193854.jpg

Want to buy a 45 - 50 lakh SUV | How to get rid of the middle class guilt?-20220401_193913.jpg

Thanks every one.

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd April 2022 at 21:03. Reason: Typo
poloman is offline   (139) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 23:15   #191
BHPian

Congratulations poloman. Car is looking stunning in white. Happy motoring and have fun.
mkc15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 11:47   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkc15 View Post
Congratulations poloman. Car is looking stunning in white. Happy motoring and have fun.
The pearl white has an excellent lustrous shine. But please be very careful while doing pooja if you have a white car. I had a major scare with the thilak applied on the car turning to a yellow stain with in an hour. No soap, no vinegar could remove it. Finally had to apply rubbing compound which could remove it fully after a 1 hour effort.
poloman is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 14:05   #193
BHPian

Looks smashing! Wishing your family and you many years of joy with the new vehicle.
dearchichi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 18:54   #194
BHPian

Double congratulations on your purchase and saving some serious money

Innova Crysta white has its own charm. You are going to enjoy every minute of driving this beauty.

Have thousands of km with this beast.

Cheers.
Guru_Shikhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2022, 19:43   #195
BHPian

Congratulations on the new ride. Your car buying journey was very intriguing. Wish you countless comfortable miles with the Crysta. And kudos to the Toyota dealership in helping you save a handsome sum of money.

OT- Does Poloman now becomes Crysta-Family-Man?
drive2eternity is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks